firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
alberta and oil/wildfire will be like us gun control, there will never be the right time to talk about climate change, only thoughts and prayers.
This is like governor of Texas shrugging his shoulders when the entire state lost power during that winter storm energy. The UCP know exactly why these fires are happening.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Have never been there but it was part of the Banff trip my wife and I were planning. Hoping for the best for the community affected

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
People will see this happening right in their backyard and bury their head in the sand and pretend stuff like this just happens and there's nothing to be done about it.

I get it, wildfires are a fact of life in western Canada, I live right in the middle of a brutal wildfire area myself and we've always had them but it doesn't have to be THIS bad.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Sucks, and I expect this sort of thing will become more common as the weather gets crazier.

There are huge areas of trees destroyed by the pine beetle in that area (and to the northeast) and it's kind of sobering looking back on articles about it as it only makes fire risks worse.

""The people in Jasper aren't saying they're wondering if the town's going to burn down, it's when the town is going to burn down," said Jasper resident David Millar."

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful. Sucks that our premier decimated funding for wildfire fighting over the past couple years.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Heartbreaking and devastating. Im scared of the future and how many more incredible places we'll lose as climate change goes under addressed.

I had plans to visit Banff and Jasper this summer but had to cancel earlier. I wish I got a chance to see it before the fire.

Wish the locals the best and hope for their safety.

If anyone wants an idea of how bad the smoke situation is currently in Western Canada, take a peek at the smoke forecast map: https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

It's a blanket of smoke. There's approx 400 fires burning in BC alone right now

Insane. Holy shit basically half of Canada is under this blanket.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Extremely heartbreaking. 😥

Living in Southern AB it's always been in my list to head up to Jasper. Now I'll never see it as it was.

Waterton Park is my normal spot and it was also forever changed by a fire a few years ago. Thankfully there, the townsite was saved..

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants an idea of how bad the smoke situation is currently in Western Canada, take a peek at the smoke forecast map: https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

It's a blanket of smoke. There's approx 400 fires burning in BC alone right now
The crazy humidity and rainfall we've been getting was at least preventing forest fires and a repeat of the smoke we got last year. Awful y'all in the west can't catch a break.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
Growing up in interior BC, we went to Jasper almost every year. I honeymooned there with my wife. When we got our dogs we'd go camping with them at Whistlers Campground. I have so many great memories of that town and the area, it's my favourite spot in Canada. Absolutely devastating. The buildings can be rebuilt but I worry how much of the park has been destroyed. It'll be years till the forests grow back.

Nature should recover quickly.

My family was there just a couple weeks ago, right before the heatwave started that really kicked wildfire season into high gear. There were already so many tourists visiting. I can't imagine the stress of evacuating.

Always such a joy to visit while camping.

Last year's wildfire season was horrible and I naively believed we'd get some relief this year.
Reallu sad about Jasper, but overall this year is an average forest fire year...for now. Much better than last year in Canada.

The Albertan premier getting pretty emotional talking about Jasper. Clearly, a very special place for locals and Albertans alike.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbKCKSm51KI

Oh yeah f her and Poilievre too. These people don't give a damn about nature and climate change.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Albertan premier getting pretty emotional talking about Jasper. Clearly, a very special place for locals and Albertans alike.

Conservative politicians in Canada after climate change related disasters:

simpsons-weve-tried-nothing.png

OP
OP
giallo

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Nature should recover quickly.

Oh yeah f her and Poilievre too. These people don't give a damn about nature and climate change.

As someone who grew up in an area that was devastated by fires (South Kelowna in 2003), the landscape of Jasper will never be the same in our lifetimes. The mountains behind my house, which were wall-to-wall trees pre-fire, are practically bare 21 years later.

I had no idea she gutted the wildfire budget. Like, what? Jesus. Calling her an absolute moron would be the understatement of the year.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Gutted. I'm supposed to be going here for my honeymoon at the end of September. As of now, we don't even know if the lodge we're staying at burned down or not.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
As someone who grew up in an area that was devastated by fires (South Kelowna in 2003), the landscape of Jasper will never be the same in our lifetimes. The mountains behind my house, which were wall-to-wall trees pre-fire, are practically bare 21 years later.
I am quite surprised to hear that. Of course many factors can influence the speed of recovery, including the intensity of the fire.

OP
OP
giallo

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I am quite surprised to hear that. Of course many factors can influence the speed of recovery, including the intensity of the fire.

I was surprised too. I thought the trees would have grown back quickly. It was mostly ponderosa pine that burned, and they grow tall fast in the Okanagan Valley. They even seeded the area by air, but it's been really slow to rejuvenate.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
To make matters worse, there's a very concerning fire burning in Banff National Park right now. I can't even think of losing the two most important Rocky Mountain towns/National Parks in a single season.

Summers in Canada are no fun anymore. Every year, it gets worse and worse.
Yep. Summer every year is just smoke season. June through August is shit. It was not like this growing up where maybe once every few years we would smell smoke. We've had months of smoke in recent years, yet my parents laugh in my face when I mention climate change. Fucking idiots.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks UCP! The double of whammy of not giving a shit about climate change and actively cutting the budget for wildfire management!

Now Smith is out there holding back tears during a press conference. I'm sure this is all somehow Justin Trudeau's fault.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah, Fuck Smith. I'm over here on the east coast and her rotten scumbag party pays for ads that run over here telling us to drop any plans for clean energy and invest in oil and gas. Apparently, only they know how to do it right!

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada

Oh, she can fuck right off honestly and take a nice big dive into a barrel of the oil she loves so much. Fight against any climate change action, gut services that help fight fires, and then cry and gladly accept federal bailout aid once your towns start burning down.

Not that the aid shouldn't be accepted, but holy fuck I'm not in the mood for her crocodile tears and acting like this isn't the fault of her and her whole party.

Oh yeah, and just two days ago she was going off on how the people of Jasper were spreading 'misinformation' about how bad the fires were. Yet today it's all tears and pouts. How lovely of her to suddenly start caring. 🙄

Last edited:
OP
OP
giallo

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Oh yeah, and just two days ago she was going off on how the people of Jasper were spreading 'misinformation' about how bad the fires were. Yet today it's all tears and pouts. How lovely of her to suddenly start caring. 🙄

Damn. She did the whole 'misinformation/fake news' thing? Why are they all like this?

Maybe she's crying because her policies blatantly aided in this tragedy, and her political career is the next.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Damn. She did the whole 'misinformation/fake news' thing? Why are they all like this?

Maybe she's crying because her policies blatantly aided in this tragedy, and her political career is the next.
Or maybe she's sad cuz she can't vacation there anymore! Who knows. :P
I really wish this was enough to definitively end her career, but Alberta is an infamous conservative stronghold. IIRC in the last 50 years or so they've only had one term with a non-conservative premier. Needless to say that level of unwavering support + oil money behind them has let them engage in the absolute worst behaviour for a long, long time now.

I do sincerely hope though that things can change soon. Got friends in Alberta who are so sick of this shit.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Truly awful news. Don't foresee the wildfire situation getting any better any time soon in Alberta, unfortunately.

You'd think there would be some self-reflection, but let's all just blame Trudeau instead.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, she can fuck right off honestly and take a nice big dive into a barrel of the oil she loves so much. Fight against any climate change action, gut services that help fight fires, and then cry and gladly accept federal bailout aid once your towns start burning down.

Not that the aid shouldn't be accepted, but holy fuck I'm not in the mood for her crocodile tears and acting like this isn't the fault of her and her whole party.

Please tell me there are clips of this so it's not forgotten among the tragedy of a beautiful town that didn't deserve that level of contempt. The people of Alberta will still probably blame Trudeau.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Please tell me there are clips of this so it's not forgotten among the tragedy of a beautiful town that didn't deserve that level of contempt. The people of Alberta will still probably blame Trudeau.
Sadly I don't believe it was a big press statement or anything. It was just her tut-tutting about them causing unnecessary panic with their alert system spreading 'misinformation'. Said misinformation? They said the fire would reach the town in five hours, but in reality the town just needed to be evacuated within five hours.

That's just the way it is with the cons, though. They'll split hairs even when the whole scalp is on fire.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
She's an amoral political opportunist who knows this can and should fall on her head for her cutting wildfire management funding and being a climate change denier. These are fucking crocodile tears if ever they were any, and I really hope people aren't fooled.
And as if to directly proves this, this piece of shit posts a "Jasper Strong" post with a picture of Banff:

photo-2024-07-26-16-26-19.jpg

Anyways, good way to support Jasper if folks are up to it, 3x matching by the AB govt:
give.redcross.ca

Donate to the 2024 Alberta Wildfires Appeal

Donations to the Canadian Red Cross will be used for assisting those impacted in Jasper and other affected areas in Alberta with immediate and ongoing relief including financial assistance, support to evacuees and the communities hosting them, recovery and resilience efforts in response to the...