• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
dTG4hNG.jpg

Oh come on MS and Sega, why you gotta do us PC players dirty like this?
... god fucking dammit

i have an xbox but you still need gold to play f2p games, this sucks

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Would've never heard about this without this thread — thank you, OP!

Signed up in a heartbeat. I admit, I was actually kinda furious that we were getting it so late when the announcement was made, since at this point after dabbling in the PC version with the English language fan patch, I was pretty certain this would feel a bit dated... But, if they ever do make a PSO3, I want them to have as much evidence as possible that it needs to launch ASAP after the Japanese version.

Still a little ridiculous that SEGA took this long to finally get any English-language version released in the West, but I guess better late than never. :/

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Can I sign up on a dummy US account to get in on this?

don't know if you got a response but;

goto system settings and just switch region to USA, reboot

This scares me a little...so I am betting its not small worlds with a different theme like the first with a big Boss at the end but more like open world in the vein of the Sword Art games...?

much more arcade like and faster action than the original PSO's

my early days of the Japanese release

zOjKDkv.jpg

vGDrsMv.jpg

rQ1gxV5.jpg

aSdFbgn.jpg

Last edited:

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following this too closely, but it's going to be F2P? That's great! Is it also going to be cross-platform when it is eventually released?

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
This scares me a little...so I am betting its not small worlds with a different theme like the first with a big Boss at the end but more like open world in the vein of the Sword Art games...?
Nah, it's pretty much the same as the old system. Small randomly generated instanced areas/floors that ends with a boss.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Nah that part is still similar. The hub is still there and you beam down to a themed planet of tunnels and rooms with a big boss at the end or to a timed event/boss with other parties. The planet is procedurally generated now though iirc so every time you go down it's a slightly different layout unlike in pso1 where each planet only had 3 or 4 different layouts you could memorize. Some map sections & bosses are also shared now with something like ~15 - 20 other people now so you don't farm alone now, more like a mob of people running together from hotspotto hotspot.

The real difference is the combat. It plays much faster and arcade like and revolves around destroying enemy parts on bosses instead of just killing them. Its more of an evolution of the combat from Phantasy Star Portable than it is of PSO1. The class lock is also gone now, your loadout/class is dependent on the weapon you equip and you can change it on the fly mid battle.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I saw someone say that PSO1 is like Dark Souls without a roll, PSO2 is like DMC lite. I'd say that's about right.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I signed up today. Gonna have my wife do the same. If everything carries over and we both get in then I might have to buy another Xbox one just so she can play.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the $149 Xbox one s for my wife so we can both play the beta. Yes I know I'm a madman.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the $149 Xbox one s for my wife so we can both play the beta. Yes I know I'm a madman.

hey man I bought my non-gamer wife an xbox so we can play overwatch together, and she still plays it almost daily. Maybe she'll like it! She's interested in pso2 cuz I told her about all the clothing options (which i also am hyped for lol)

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
hey man I bought my non-gamer wife an xbox so we can play overwatch together, and she still plays it almost daily. Maybe she'll like it! She's interested in pso2 cuz I told her about all the clothing options (which i also am hyped for lol)
My wife is a big gamer and we played the English patched version a couple times. It just got to be too much of a hassle. We've both been waiting for this. Was hoping it would come out on PC at the same time but since it's not I can't stomach being able to start it without her. I had to make sure she could jump in day 1. Let's just hope we both get in beta.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Better combat, worse everything else. It felt more like a Universe 2 to me.

Exactly what I felt in the early game. It felt like they took the clunkiness out of classic PSO gameplay and made characters move more freely and modernized things a bit so its a faster game overall. Looking at the current game today it looks batshit insane with bosses going full bullet hell kind of like a high level diablo or PoE boss with shit everywhere.

FZed

Dec 30, 2019
Crap I thought there was news!!

I am so hyped and hope someone already plan to do an OT!

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, when I expected to hear news on when the beta was, i get nothing :( this itch is killing me.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone ever play the PSU Clementine? I loved PSU on 360 and I'm looking to pass the time before the beta drops.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I don't know why I'm so excited for a game I've already played for 1,000 hours, but I am

February can't come soon enough