• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You gotta mix up your content. If you're watching hours of only one thing was static logos and stuff... you'll get burn in. If that's what you do, don't get OLED.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sigh, so my girl watches a lot of cnn news.... and today I got home and guess what? burn in with a huge CNN Live on the bottom right corner..

bummer.. tv is about 4 years old but man... how do you OLED owners do with the news? just don't watch it a lot?

I'm bummed.. I really don't want any other tv besides an OLED but now i am on the fence....is there proof the new OLED tvs handle burn-ins better now?

pic below: abit blurry

19-C00-EDF-2991-484-C-818-C-6-AF5-AC674-A51.jpg

sighh.

That's nothing OP, you should be able to watch regular TV fine as well as play games fine..

Now when you get the yellowgreenish tint in the middle of the screen šŸ˜¬ is when it will be distracting. This mostly happens with those 2016 and older OLEDs I believe. (I have a C6)

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I know your pain OP, for we are the same. Rachel Maddow ruined my TV.

OLEDs are incredible pieces of kit but a little too delicate, especially as a first-time owner. I can forgive some burn-in to enjoy perfect black levels. Now I just get my news through text and podcast form and turn off as much of my game HUDs as possible.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Can anyone please educate me on QLED's by Samsung? No burn in with those right?

No. I tried to get it to happen with a review unit. No burn in. Samsung even has a guarantee.

The QLEDs will get brighter than OLEDs (good for HDR), but their weakness is low light. For example, in Stranger Things, the scenes were it is just 11 on an otherwise all black screen, you'll see a slight halo around the illuminated area. The black areas are black, but the QLED uses a backlight, so it can't get pixel perfect accuracy when one is on and the one next to it is off. When the whole screen is black though, you'd think the TV was off because the backlight is off.

QLED is a very viable option with some minor tradeoffs.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry OP. I gotta say this doesn't make sense. CNN cuts to commercials every ten minutes and the logo disappears. How could that have happened?! I'd be very disappointed in my TV if that happened to me.

Burn-in is based on cumulative hours, not consecutive hours. Commercial breaks won't help.

OP
OP
Golding

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
I know your pain OP, for we are the same. Rachel Maddow ruined my TV.

OLEDs are incredible pieces of kit but a little too delicate, especially as a first-time owner. I can forgive some burn-in to enjoy perfect black levels. Now I just get my news through text and podcast form and turn off as much of my game HUDs as possible.
LOTR.gif

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
i did but didn't help. this one is obviously a deep burn-in. i mean the tv is 4 years old but still... i guess if i ever get oled again, news channel will be a no no for me.

It was the Netflix logo that did it for me on my E6. That fucking logo is the brightest red of all time.

MrJames

Oct 25, 2017
Similar situation. My OLED E6 has some faint burn in across with bottom from sports trackers like ESPN. It's only noticeable when my Xbox has that dark grey screen during an update. I would have no problem upgrading to a 77" CX but I love the 3D on my E6. It's the last model to include it so there will come a day when I lose it, but for now, I'll learn to live with the burn in.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
If this happened over a few days, it might just be some nasty IR. Grab some color / IR removal slides and/or 12 hr IR movies and run them all night for a week.

Same thing happened to me with my plasma and Bloodborne's paperwhite hud. Took a week, but doing the above fixed the IR.

Otherwise, call LG. Their CS has reportedly been pretty awesome.

As for the future, keep the set at 80% brightness for HDTV if you know the wife will be leaving it on the news all day. Keep the 100% to the other picture modes to switch to when needed (UHD/GAMING/MOVIES). All TVs have their advantages and disadvantages, but personally I wouldn't trade my C9 for LED.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Similar situation. My OLED E6 has some faint burn in across with bottom from sports trackers like ESPN. It's only noticeable when my Xbox has that dark grey screen during an update. I would have no problem upgrading to a 77" CX but I love the 3D on my E6. It's the last model to include it so there will come a day when I lose it, but for now, I'll learn to live with the burn in.
This is the only correct attitude with OLED.

I feel it will go the way of plasma when microLED hits. There's just nothing to prevent burn-in for OLEDs.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
So you can't watch the news, you can't watch sports, you can't watch Netflix... lmao what else?

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
That suck OP

This is my concern with OLED tech. I have a 2015 LG P-series something (too lazy to check) that works more than okay but is lacking literally every cool gaming feature I want (it's a model with 3D but no HDR as an example). On one hand, I want the new TV when I get an Xbox Series X. On the other, this set otherwise works perfectly fine after 5 years, and it seems silly to buy a new set that might not even last that long without visible degradation. Edge mentioned technology these days being more disposable (which is unfortunately true to a large degree) but I have a hard time with the balance between "10/10 with a 5-year shelf life" and "8/10 with twice the shelf life and also cheaper." That's specifically a TV thing, but saying that I also have a OnePlus 5 that is perfectly fine and might make it through 2021 without an upgrade either.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
This is really why I'm waiting on Samsung's QD-OLED tech next year before finally jumping on the 4K bandwagon. LCD peak brightness/color accuracy with OLED's infinite contrast and no burn in.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
This happened with my TV earlier in the year, taught me to stop leaving it on all night since I'm sure that's why it happened to me.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Burnt B6 owner here. With a bunch of Tetris 99 boards and a big color spill at the center.

Welcome to the club!

New002

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hanging onto my C6 for as long as I can thanks to that sweet, sweet 3D. I hope that when it's time for me to upgrade there will be a superior tech out with the benefits of OLED without the drawback of image retention and burn-in.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
My B6 has burn in from the Youtube app, especially the bright yellow 'watch later' button.

I'll still buy another OLED eventually, I just love the picture.

Reel Big Fish

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Sure, and specifically the bolded part, I don't.
But that's just not the reality we live in, electronic devices rarely last longer than a few years, some problems to some degree always happen here and there, phones starting to get problems, getting slower or the battery slowly dies out, or, haha, actually get f'n burn in too, like my Galaxy S9+ after 2 years, thanks to the f'n chrome browser.
Some stuff will always have problems at some point, no matter if the stuff I mentioned or the washing machine, mixer, fridge, car not working anymore after it was perfectly fine the day before, you can't avoid that. So I don't even try, it doesn't make sense to be scared about that kind of stuff. We live in a world were all kind of electronics can break down easily, if you want to avoid that, try to time travel back to the 80s and 90s were electronic stuff really was build for centuries.

But my 2000 bucks TV can break down after 4-6 years of daily 6 hour usage or I can spend the same amount of money simply on a week vacation. Looking at it this way, I think the TV would have been more than worth the money for the usage I've got out of it, at least for me personally.
Expecting it to work 10 years with daily usage just doesn't make sense in my eyes. Because nothing in the world will, without some problems appearing or wear.
I've had my current TV, a Samsung 1080p, for at least 7.5 years. I actually just bought a replacement not because it's had problems, but because I want to upgrade to 4k for this generation of game consoles. I've literally never had a problem with it.

And I definitely feel you with the phones. My s10 and s8 both have significant burn in from a game app. But I expect to replace my phone every two years as I think most people do. I dont think most people spend 2k on a TV just to replace it in four or five years unless they need to have the next big thing out there.

As for the bolded part, you kinda do. You said you can't watch news channels for 8 hours at a time, or lower the settings every so often. That's having the TV dictate how you use it. I'm not going to sit here and lie and say I watch the news for 8 hours a day because I don't. But I also don't want the option taken away, if that makes sense.

And my original post was more talking about people in those TV threads that say it's a non issue, period. It's one thing to be upfront and say the benefits of a greater watching experience outweigh the negative of potential burn in if you aren't safe about it. And it sounds like you'd be one of those people, which is appreciated. But I've literally seen people say it's not an issue, period. I'm too lazy to go search for those posts, but like I said, I just upgraded so I did a lot of reading in those threads and saw that sentiment several times.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
After 8 years of so most of us will want the next best thing.

The minimal burn in will let you buy that MicoLED with hyperflex in 2027.

I just got my OLED in this week and its such a huge jump for me. We just love watching sports and movies on it.
Does my audio set up work with Hyperflex in 2027 if I bought it in 2024? Oh my God I'm losing it!!! šŸ˜¬

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's only one real way to get rid of it. You need to take the same footage that wrecked your TV and invert it, (a red CNN logo would become a cyan CNN logo, for example. White would be black.) then play that footage on the TV for as many hours as you watched CNN.
I was able to mostly get rid of the burn-in on one of my OLED phones, mostly from Android UI and YouTube, that way. SLOWLY. I also had to use an app that hid the static UI elements and be very careful not to let YouTube run in vertical anymore, to avoid further damage.
It's easier on a phone because Android has a feature that inverts all of the color on your phone.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, and specifically the bolded part, I don't.
But that's just not the reality we live in, electronic devices rarely last longer than a few years, some problems to some degree always happen here and there, phones starting to get problems, getting slower or the battery slowly dies out, or, haha, actually get f'n burn in too, like my Galaxy S9+ after 2 years, thanks to the f'n chrome browser.
Some stuff will always have problems at some point, no matter if the stuff I mentioned or the washing machine, mixer, fridge, car not working anymore after it was perfectly fine the day before, you can't avoid that. So I don't even try, it doesn't make sense to be scared about that kind of stuff. We live in a world were all kind of electronics can break down easily, if you want to avoid that, try to time travel back to the 80s and 90s were electronic stuff really was build for centuries.

But my 2000 bucks TV can break down after 4-6 years of daily 6 hour usage or I can spend the same amount of money simply on a week vacation. Looking at it this way, I think the TV would have been more than worth the money for the usage I've got out of it, at least for me personally.
Expecting it to work 10 years with daily usage just doesn't make sense in my eyes. Because nothing in the world will, without some problems appearing or wear.

This is true for major appliances these days, our national broadcaster did a story about it but it is not known to be the case for TV's (yet). It's a pretty easy strawpoll to find friends and relatives (particularly fixed income seniors) to successfully keep their LCD/LED TV for at least a decade.

Oct 25, 2017
I got the 5 year burn-in protection plan with my new oled
If the TV has any within 5 years, they either replace the panel (if the part is still available) or replace the entire TV (if it's not)
from what I've read online after 2-3 years the parts are usually gone and they just replace the whole thing
I figure if I have any by 2025, no problem
if I dont, cnn here I come because ill probably get a whole new set out of it

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Same here OP. Got a local news logo burned in on my B6. Comes from my wife watching the news every morning. It's not really noticeable unless you really look for it though. Cool thing is, my wife was like, "Is it time to get a new one?"
šŸ˜šŸ˜

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we had a lot of CNN on during the week of the election. I kept telling my GF to cycle through the channels to try and prevent it haha.

B8 and thankfully no burn in on my end. OP, definitely try and reach out to LG. Heard good stories about them replacing them for newer models. You might get lucky.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
No. I tried to get it to happen with a review unit. No burn in. Samsung even has a guarantee.

The QLEDs will get brighter than OLEDs (good for HDR), but their weakness is low light. For example, in Stranger Things, the scenes were it is just 11 on an otherwise all black screen, you'll see a slight halo around the illuminated area. The black areas are black, but the QLED uses a backlight, so it can't get pixel perfect accuracy when one is on and the one next to it is off. When the whole screen is black though, you'd think the TV was off because the backlight is off.

QLED is a very viable option with some minor tradeoffs.
I'd agree with this. I have a q80T and a LG C9. We have the qled upstairs cause my wife watches a ton of shit with logos in the corner. The blacks aren't perfect but I'm very impressed with the backlight and how little halos come into play with it. It's not perfect but it's damn good.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is true for major appliances these days, our national broadcaster did a story about it but it is not known to be the case for TV's (yet). It's a pretty easy strawpoll to find friends and relatives (particularly fixed income seniors) to successfully keep their LCD/LED TV for at least a decade.

Shit, I still have my plasma because it's the best 1080p set I've ever owned. Not going to ditch that until it dies.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly anyone who likes watching channels that have logos always present or tickers...just avoid OLED. Having a nicer picture is great, but a TV shouldn't dictate your viewing habits and preferences to you. Quantum Dot or whatever looks fantastic and you can watch your news stations or play your favorite games to your hearts content without ever having to baby it.

I know too many people that are news junkies and I tell them to avoid the OLED temptation at all costs lest they end up like the OP here. If they aren't news or ESPN nuts then go for it. But if they are, hell naw.

They'd be bad for gaming too though no? Especially with games with static HUD elements?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck is burn-in still a thing in 2020? I thought we left that shit behind with Plasma TVs...
My current TV is a last-gen Samsung F8500 plasma that is five or so years old (maybe six) and my TV before that was a nice Panasonic plasma. I've never had any issues with burn-in or serious image retention with either of those. Seeing how accepted it is with OLED has me not wanting to upgrade anytime soon though.

Jun 1, 2018
All OLEDs can get burn in. I suppose everyone is recommending the CX because it has better burn in prevention features in options.

On the other hand, those options might not be as effective as people claim, and there could be a lot of assumptions on its effectiveness out there.

But burn in is inherent on OLEDs.
What kind of features does it have? Got a new CX and want to make sure those safety mechanics are activated

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Burnt B6 owner here. With a bunch of Tetris 99 boards and a big color spill at the center.

Welcome to the club!

just a heads up - the color spill is another issue entirely. I already got a complimentary panel replacement by LG on my B6 years ago for a different issue (panel uniformity), but recently my screen started getting a greenish blob in the center. There's a huge thread with other afflicted owners on the LG forums. If you reach out to the moderator there, there's a good chance they'll fast track a panel replacement for you. This is now the second free replacement I've gotten and my tv is about 4 years old now.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah we had a lot of CNN on during the week of the election. I kept telling my GF to cycle through the channels to try and prevent it haha.

B8 and thankfully no burn in on my end. OP, definitely try and reach out to LG. Heard good stories about them replacing them for newer models. You might get lucky.

Cycling through the channels occasionally won't do anything.
It's all about how much time you spend watching the thing that's causing the burn, and what percentage of your total usage of the TV that represents, plus how fixed and contrasty the things you watch are.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf at people recommending another OLED after his previous one got burnin? Their viewing habits are what they are and as such another tv prone to burnin is the worst recommendation to give, yet everyone just skips past it like nothing happened.

OLED diehards are creepy sometimes.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Wtf at people recommending another OLED after his previous one got burnin? Their viewing habits are what they are and as such another tv prone to burnin is the worst recommendation to give, yet everyone just skips past it like nothing happened.

OLED diehards are creepy sometimes.
I think they're banking on lg just giving free replacements for the rest of their lives. I'm more apprehensive about the tech. Still haven't bought an oled because of this burn in problem.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly anyone who likes watching channels that have logos always present or tickers...just avoid OLED. Having a nicer picture is great, but a TV shouldn't dictate your viewing habits and preferences to you. Quantum Dot or whatever looks fantastic and you can watch your news stations or play your favorite games to your hearts content without ever having to baby it.

I know too many people that are news junkies and I tell them to avoid the OLED temptation at all costs lest they end up like the OP here. If they aren't news or ESPN nuts then go for it. But if they are, hell naw.

wouldnt gaming, especislly the same game, be even worse??

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to be watching that much news then don't get another OLED. I mean, I love mine but we aren't really a news television household. If we were I would have reconsidered getting it.