• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly something I continue to think deeply and carefully about - but this kind of pushback can't really come in good faith until the inverse problem she's complaining about - has been even remotely fixed.

We can't stop making movies look like the real world simply because Black Panther came out, or because there's one lesbian superhero.

Obviously Miller is speaking from a ridiculous perch - but as oblivious as she is (she's probably not oblivious this morning, I'd guess) , she's also a perfect example of "plank in her own eye" AND legitimately of wage disparity and other issues that effect her directly (which she's not talking about here).

We're going through some of this with casting now for a project, where we took the approach that race should be irrelevant - especially in a sci fi future - when it comes to casting, but the industry has loads of externalities that make finding the perfect actor challenging - and make hiring diverse casts extremely difficult depending on where you're hiring. For example if you're filming in Eastern (or some parts of Western) Europe, then hiring leads - and extras - of color simply to make your world look adequate, becomes tough - especially when you're competing for limited actors with other projects and deadlines.

I do agree with ONE note she touches on - that stunt casting for some sort of diversity olympics should be considered carefully - on the one hand the "best actor for the role regardless of race or background or personal life" is absolutely true and essential for quality - but we should also as an industry be pushing to make it easier for people of color, or nonbinary gender, or religious background etc etc to get into the industry to fix it - and one way to do that is to make a heavy lifting effort on your project. "Stunt" casting is an extremely blinkered term with baggage - like "affirmative action" - which should really be called, "how about we stop fucking people over all the time and adjust our society for equity and opportunity?"

But then you bump up against, "Well what if I want to hire an actor for a gay part, but the actor is straight?" There's a great argument for hiring a straight actor (let's use Tom Uncanceled Hanks in Philadelphia) but that means a gay actor is being ignored or passed over. Hanks brought eyeballs and attention to important issues with his star power and ironically his heterosexuality - and arguably did more good than harm for other gay actors and issues. That's been true for a few movies, sometimes well executed and well liked, sometimes poorly done with good intentions, sometimes a mess from top to bottom (Aloha).

But then you run up against more logistics: You have an important gay role. You want to hire a gay Middle Eastern actor out of simple principle (he's not a flamer or a terrorist or a nerd, in case you're wondering about this imaginary role). But there are necessarily fewer available actors that meet that definition just statistically. So you're competing for that actor in ever decreasing venn circles. I think there's also an extreme that nobody is really suggesting is going to happen - casting a woman to play a man, without any aspect of the plot (we do this with gay/straight people all the time, but they tend to act that part inn the performance) might break immersion for audiences in a mainstream film. Or even having a single biological family played by people of obviously different ethnicity. Nobody is complaining about that - because it's not happening outside of non-literal productions like Hamilton - where that kind of (arbitrary) mixed casting is actually making a specific effort that's part of the production's intent. But it might backfire in something played more naturally - like Downton Abbey.

Point is you can't solve it all at the casting call - you have to solve it institutionally, and I mean literally starting in kindergarten and making kids understand that it doesn't matter what they look like, or who they love or what they wear on their head, that they can be artists and performers. And then we have to make sure that the promise is kept at every stage - elementary school drama school, script, audience, movie, TV show, whatever. When that effort has succeeded, we can start fretting about "forced diversity casting" because until that's true, it's like complaining about a missing sorbet course in a twenty course meal. It's not a real problem and the opposite - that casting is monolithically heteronormative, white, etc is still very much the status quo.

Sienna is complaining about something that's barely happening as if it's an all-out assault on entertainment. She's still vastly more likely to get hired for roles than her non-white coutnerpart - but she's going to run into real issues like sexist ageism and so on.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean she kinda has a point? Its like when you argue with someone who bitches about minority casting in established roles, there is no problem with the action, however why settle for hollywood and other media outlets using diversity as a profit tool instead of creating new minority characters and works of fiction that could become the 007s and Disney IPs of the future.
In other words, please make new characters we can more easily ignore in an already risk averse entertainment industry.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean she kinda has a point? Its like when you argue with someone who bitches about minority casting in established roles, there is no problem with the action, however why settle for hollywood and other media outlets using diversity as a profit tool instead of creating new minority characters and works of fiction that could become the 007s and Disney IPs of the future.

This post would make some sense if we lived in a abstract world where there is no context or nuance to anything. Alas, we live in the real world, where institutional racism and nepotism are things that exist and shape society. Which makes this post poppycock.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Actors have the right to play anyone they want absolutely.
They also have the right to have their movie bomb because the audience didn't buy into it.
Still their choice really.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Minority actors would LOVE for this to be the case. What's fucking hilarious about this is that it's a take that if Hollywood actually abided by there would be no need to intentionally put diverse casting on paper because it would naturally happen.

But after a hundred years of making sure 95% of all roles were casted to white people, a couple of years of a diversity push/backlash suddenly its like, "An actor should be able to play whoever they want."

You're right bitch, but where were you for all those black/asian/latino/native actresses that got typecasted as "Whore #3" on movies you worked on with as rich if not richer acting background as you when your career was on the rise?

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
In other words, please make new characters we can more easily ignore in an already risk averse entertainment industry.
In others try and establish new movements, new forms of expression and actually make a difference. Attacking actors and other public figures for past comments that would require context and ignoring said context while using controversial IPs of the past that may have had instances of misogynistic views, racism etc and brushing them off because of representation and applauding the usage of said IPs in that way feels a tad hypocritical. Which is why I said she kind of has a point, some of the rules and bylaws of what can and cannot be done or said obfuscate a lot of the points that are trying to be made and feel a tad too forced.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This just points out how white women are disposal in hollywood. Now one is trying to replace Scarjo

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Reading up on her, her mom is from South Africa......hmmmmm....hmmm

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
It's Scar Jo again. In a world without discrimination then fuck yeah, but it's not. It's such a simplistic way of looking at things.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"People should be able to play whoever they want!"

*White people continue to get 98% of all roles*

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"People should be able to play whoever they want!"

*White people continue to get 98% of all roles*

The funniest part is that these kinds of quotes always seem to come from people who're saying THEY should be able to play whoever they want, rather than everybody.

"Everyone should be able to play anyone! But especially me!"

Oct 25, 2017
In others try and establish new movements, new forms of expression and actually make a difference. Attacking actors and other public figures for past comments that would require context and ignoring said context while using controversial IPs of the past that may have had instances of misogynistic views, racism etc and brushing them off because of representation and applauding the usage of said IPs in that way feels a tad hypocritical. Which is why I said she kind of has a point, some of the rules and bylaws of what can and cannot be done or said obfuscate a lot of the points that are trying to be made and feel a tad too forced.
It's hard to understand what you're trying to argue here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Ah yes! The poor underrepresented white person.
Very, VERY endangered and underrepresented...

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE WHITE PEOPLE!?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Fascism is when you're not allowed to wear blackface in a multi-million dollar movie.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Banker turned dealer of chinese art is the most privileged career change i seen in a while

Ghostie

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2019
I wonder if she would still say this if she was born on the other side of the tracks?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. They voted for Trump.
17Peoples-articleLarge.jpg

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine making the same argument as ScarJo and thinking you're onto something.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a script for the Nicholl Fellowship and one of the readers thought they should use some of the limited space that they are allowed to give comments on and say:

" The characters factual mixed raced identities are, it seems intended to feed into the neo-futurisitc setting but do little to actually clarify or impact a story which struggles to find a foot hold. "

They literal told me I should give a reason to have characters that are a current day minority. I couldn't believe it.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The sentiment wouldn't be a big deal if it actually worked both ways, where anyone of any race actually could be cast in any role.

In practice, this sentiment just works to justify white people taking roles away from people of color.

Exactly this. As if the industry and audiences are going to be ok with a black man playing Superman or a woman Jane Bond (and not just a female 007).

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
"Everybody should be able to play everybody. Please let me work again. I'm begging you I know I'm not talented enough to compete with other actors fairly. If it's just the white actors at least I'll have a shot."

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Hell of a way to start the press tour for 21 bridges that she costars with *check notes* Chadwick Boseman in

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you white lady, very cool

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
"It feels like liberal is becoming almost fascistic"

literally translates to

"Equality feels like oppression."

And it's always a white person whining about it for some weird reason. Like, so weird.

"To the privileged, equality feels like oppression."

I agree, it's always seems to be the same type crying about this. It seems when one of them can't have things go their way they blame equality.When the real problem is that so many of them get their way that is no room left near the top.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When you are the dominant force, equality feels like oppression.

the way white people react when they're told they cant do something is always predictable and still surprising.