• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I know right!? I mean, you can tell them there is Dreams, The Last Guardian, MLB The Show, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Concrete Genie, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Gravity Rush, Knack, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet & Clank, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, LittleBigPlanet 3, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, SingStar, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, Shadow of the Colossus, MediEvil, etc. etc. etc! And these are just some of the non-VR titles.
Show me the list of Nintendo's or Microsoft's new IPs that aren't cinematic 3rd person adventures. Guess which one's longer?
Then you will hear the excuse "Yeah, but most of them didn't get made by their AAA teams / those aren't AAA games." Like... no shit? Of course they aren't. Those games won't sell 5 to 10+ million copies. But they are still getting made and they look good. They don't need an AAA budget. I'm a huge JRPG fan. I'm totally fine with Sony creating AA JRPGs. I know those JRPGs won't sell 5 million copies. Make AA JRPGs like Nintendo did with Xenoblade Chronicles. That's perfectly fine.
But certain people are only looking at those big Sony AAA games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. and come to the conclusion that Sony "only" makes cinematic 3rd person action adventures. Like.... yeah, everybody is talking about them because that's what most people want and buy from Sony. That's why TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, etc. are selling over (or will sell over) 10+ million copies. That's why these games are getting a big marketing push at launch and why everybody is looking at them. But does Sony only create "cinematic 3rd person action adventures"? No. So whenever you hear that claim, you know immediately that this dude knows jack shit about Sony's 1st party output. But they keep pretending ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess a PS Blog post, a tweet about the PS Blog post and maybe a special sale on the PS Store. That's about it.
QFT Ps4 backlog is ridiculous and varied.
Oh and Everybody golf is a great casual party game!! Great pick up and play mechanics, and can pass the controller along.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So, why the bets on what Sony will do on the Playstation 25 years anniversary haven't started yet?

1. Avatar and Theme Pack.
2. Social Media Post.
3. PS Store Special Sale.
4. A video/doc.

Probably one (or multiple) of those
#2 will happen probably, i can see #1 as well.

sony also have their annual asia region PS Awards event on that day as a celebration but its not an important event.

in general though, go with no expectations of that day.

Oct 1, 2019
do people really think that Sony is going to buy RAD? they used all the money that they got from Sony to create a four hour tech demo. c'mon now.
I think R@D and Sony's relationship really soured after The Order.
R@D is currently working on a AAA project judging from their new building but I doubt Sony gave them the funding.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If bluepoint is remaking jrpg, I feel it's gonna be Wild Arms. Just got the feeling that someone at Sony is really fond of Wild Arms IP, it even got Alter F remake and mobile game reimagining where all the cast exist in 1 world. Don't know how well the mobile game do, but I like the idea of rebooting wild arms where all the story happened in 1 universe like Trails or Suikoden series.
Right now it is Demon's Souls... to many people/hints for it not to be

But BP showed interest in LoD that I feel that would be their next game after the DSRemake

And in all honesty Sony has to much of a cozy relationship not to deny BP's request unless the budget is too much

Since BP loyally accepted Sony's requested projects at least 9 times now

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is Bluepoint ever gonna make an original IP? They can't survive on remakes forever, that'll be the deciding factor if they are worth a purchase or not.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is Bluepoint ever gonna make an original IP? They can't survive on remakes forever, that'll be the deciding factor if they are worth a purchase or not.
After two more projects

In this case my theory is Demon's Souls and Legend of Dragoon

I feel if they aren't bought up by Sony yet they will do a sequel of a game franchise or they'll do a new IP

They already warranted their value though and if Demon's Souls Remake is a commercial and critical success I feel an acquirement is a done deal

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
bluepoint are doing those remakes to get experience in all the areas of game development while having a guiding hand in preperation to making their own IP.
for example for their next remake they have been hiring game designers, so it will be more than just a visual improvement.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017

Creating remakes can be safer option than making original IP. Just choose a game from popular franchise and it will sell some copies just because of the name.

Oct 1, 2019
To be honest, I'm fine with BluePoint remaking/reimagining previous IPs. Clearly, they are the best in the industry when it comes to these things and that alone is worthy enough of their acquisition if it ever happens in the future.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
bluepoint are doing those remakes to get experience in all the areas of game development while having a guiding hand in preperation to making their own IP.
for example for their next remake they have been hiring game designers, so it will be more than just a visual improvement.

Imagine what they could learn from VRemaking the Colony Wars trilogy, working on a new genre and dipping their toes into the VR pond, it makes too much sense!

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So, why the bets on what Sony will do on the Playstation 25 years anniversary haven't started yet?

2. Social Media Post.
4. A video/doc.

I am going to be bullish but I would say, a game offered by Sony (for PS+ members lol)

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Man...I'm still so hyped for Death Stranding it's all I can think about??! Will I hate it or love it? I dunno how you guys can even think about future studio moves and acquisitions lol. Next week needs to come now!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Man...I'm still so hyped for Death Stranding it's all I can think about??! Will I hate it or love it? I dunno how you guys can even think about future studio moves and acquisitions lol. Next week needs to come now!
I can usually appreciate a game with tedious attributes if it has an incredible story, presentation and thick atmosphere that really pulls me in. I think I'll end up loving it. Those evironments as well… holyshit they're gorgeous. I've seen nothing like it. If I'm going to be delivering packages the majority of the time, these are the environments I'd like to do it in.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
do people really think that Sony is going to buy RAD? they used all the money that they got from Sony to create a four hour tech demo. c'mon now.
Before they worked on The Order they proved themselves by creating some great games that people loved. After The Order they have created some of the best VR games - an area where Sony is heavily invested and continuing to invest.

As far as the game itself, Sony has milestone production meetings with studios that are making games with their money. They also are aware of what the game is aiming for from the green light pitch. It's not like Sony was unaware of what it was going to be or weren't interested in its cinematic ambitions. The game ended up being a couple hours shorter than Uncharted 1.

I know right!? I mean, you can tell them there is Dreams, The Last Guardian, MLB The Show, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Concrete Genie, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Gravity Rush, Knack, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet & Clank, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, LittleBigPlanet 3, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, SingStar, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, Shadow of the Colossus, MediEvil, etc. etc. etc! And these are just some of the non-VR titles.
Show me the list of Nintendo's or Microsoft's new IPs that aren't cinematic 3rd person adventures. Guess which one's longer?
Then you will hear the excuse "Yeah, but most of them didn't get made by their AAA teams / those aren't AAA games." Like... no shit? Of course they aren't. Those games won't sell 5 to 10+ million copies. But they are still getting made and they look good. They don't need an AAA budget. I'm a huge JRPG fan. I'm totally fine with Sony creating AA JRPGs. I know those JRPGs won't sell 5 million copies. Make AA JRPGs like Nintendo did with Xenoblade Chronicles. That's perfectly fine.
But certain people are only looking at those big Sony AAA games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. and come to the conclusion that Sony "only" makes cinematic 3rd person action adventures. Like.... yeah, everybody is talking about them because that's what most people want and buy from Sony. That's why TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, etc. are selling over (or will sell over) 10+ million copies. That's why these games are getting a big marketing push at launch and why everybody is looking at them. But does Sony only create "cinematic 3rd person action adventures"? No. So whenever you hear that claim, you know immediately that this dude knows jack shit about Sony's 1st party output. But they keep pretending ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

source.gif

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

2. Social Media Post.
4. A video/doc.

Video starts with PSX logo and games begin to pop in chronologic order from PSX to PS4, Jim Ryan and Shu shows up talk about how Sony legacy it's important announces that PS5 will have access to all PS devices library, announces that Ape Scape Remake will be released on both PS4 and PS5 and that a new title from the series is in development for PS5 and we ll hear about it soon.
Announces that Bluepoint is now part of SIE and their mission is to make more classics remakes, tease Demons Souls.
Finish it with Jimbo playing Gran Turismo 3 on DualSchock 5 - first time we see it - looking at the camera and asking : "why would anybody play that?".

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's not a lot of games coming out in GENERAL these days, but the ones that do are mostly either cut from the cinematic template, cookie-cutter open world games, or microtransaction-laden multiplayer games.

It's not as bad as last gen where fucking everything was a linear scripted FPS, but there's not much diversity of experience anymore unless you want to pay $20 for a 4-hour-long indie game.

I've played lots of games last gen (100+) between AAA, AA and indie and no, not everything was a linear scripted FPS; last gen had its issues but there was more variety of genres than current gen.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Yeah I really can't see a RAD adquisition, if anything, Xbox will grab them (Then Sony will get Remedy and we will all be even :) )

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Video starts with PSX logo and games begin to pop in chronologic order from PSX to PS4, Jim Ryan and Shu shows up talk about how Sony legacy it's important announces that PS5 will have access to all PS devices library, announces that Ape Scape Remake will be released on both PS4 and PS5 and that a new title from the series is in development for PS5 and we ll hear about it soon.
Announces that Bluepoint is now part of SIE and their mission is to make more classics remakes, tease Demons Souls.
Finish it with Jimbo playing Gran Turismo 3 on DualSchock 5 - first time we see it - looking at the camera and asking : "why would anybody play that?".
Perfect :D

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't need Remedy and definitely doesn't need RAD, Bluepoint and Housemarque is all they need IMHO
RAD should be a very appealing studio for them to acquire.

Not only because they are expanding, but because they have a deep connection and a history working with Sony on their properties, but also because they have proven that they can make some of the best VR games - an area where Sony is also expanding and looking to offer deeper experiences in. They are also interested in exploring new IP in the AAA space and so is Sony. Just like Insomniac has both traditional and VR aspects covered, so does RAD.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
The whole Ape Escape meme is really getting out of hand here XD. I get that the IP would have many fans in this thread, if any. But out of the maaaany legacy IPs... Sly, Jak, Twisted Metal, Resistance, Syphon, MotorStorm, Medievil... List goes on. Yall really think fucking Ape Escape is the likely one to come back? XD

Oct 26, 2017
You would be shocked (probably not) at how many people here downplay Bluepoint and Housemarque to hell.

Bluepoint has to show that they can make original games from scratch. Remaking an existing game is fine, making a brand new IP or franchise is not easy at all.

Bluepoint is not Capcom Division 1 when they proved themselves two times with two Remakes and they are able to make excellent games from scratch.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
How do you know that? As far as I know, they were forced after low sales of their last games including Nex Machina. I think they even said that they love that genre and would love to stick with it.
They love arcade games but these games have low sales = its niche genre.
They could shut down or change games.
They make actually AAA game, probably for Sony.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
It's the year of our lord, 2019, and people are asking for Ape Escape Remakes over Demons Souls, and wanting The Order 1887, I can't....

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
...and there are people who want Knack 3 and All-Stars 2 non ironically. Meme culture has gone too far.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

2. Social Media Post.
4. A video/doc.

A nice promo video (not doc) and social media posts.
Special Avatar/theme is a good possibility too, and I expect a context (social media RT to win), but nothing more than that.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nioh and GoT are going for widely different combat systems and atmospheres, doubt we can really compare them outside of both of the games having samurais and katanas tbh.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Just an open world in Feudal Japan and I'm happy !

It's been years I'm waiting for a game like that

Oct 31, 2017
And almost all of those are small downloadable games. As far as full retail titles go, the field is a LOT smaller now than it used to be.

Many of those "small" games are the size of big games from a slew of other generations. You weren't getting Witcher 3 sized games on the PS2. And most metroidvanias didn't give you as much as Dead Cells since those games could be beaten in an hour.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
together if the cost is less or a tiny bit more then Remedy (idk how much they cost) I feel is a greater investment long term wise then just getting a studio that specializes in one thing
Specializes in one thing?

Currently Remedy is working
- a single-player campaign for an FPS franchise
- multiplayer game
- untitled project

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So who's picking up Death Stranding on Friday......it's getting some glowing reviews and seems like it could be something special.....some couldn't get down with the traversal gameplay it seems and found it tedious but there are lots of reviewers saying it's a very special game overall.
It will be my first Kojima game so I'm pretty excited to see how it is.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want GoT to be the love child of Tenchu and Souls. Some may assert that was what Sekiro was, but I don't share that sentiment. I'm hoping GoT's combat resembles Onimusha, Souls, and Sekiro -incorporating the best elements of those titles rather than building off the ideas present in Splinter Cell: Conviction and the Arkham series.

Everything thus far about the game looks great, however, combat is my only reservation. Really hoping it's a case substance and skill as opposed to style and spectacle.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So who's picking up Death Stranding on Friday......it's getting some glowing reviews and seems like it could be something special.....some couldn't get down with the traversal gameplay it seems and found it tedious but there are lots of reviewers saying it's a very special game overall.

Had it pre-ordered since it was available, i'm more than ready.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah I think I'm gonna pick it up

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i would love to day 1 it, but going by the type of game it is, i decided to hold off until i'll have more time to play it, last time i tried to play a slower paced game when i didnt have time to play it for longer stretches was RDR2 and it made me hate the game (i later returned to it when i had more time and ended up loving it), so i am betraying my avatar and waiting for a few months sadly.

Oct 26, 2017

I'm waiting, the PC announcement + the reviews talking about how slow and repetitive the gameplay loop is made me cancel my PS4 pre-order.
If i can get a good deal for christmas or Black Friday before PC release i'll probably buy it.

And Star Wars is coming soon as well, gameplay wise this looks way more appealing than Death Stranding for me.

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Preordered for 44€ 😎
So ready for this !

Status
Not open for further replies.