Status
Not open for further replies.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
According to what he said when interviewed, a long time ago, I think Santaolalla had already finished most of the music before E3 2018 (the interview was before that time).

The man must be eager to share his work with everybody. This is probably the biggest job he's done in years.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
For Star Wars, it was announced for MS - which is weird to have the first good Star Wars game marketed by Xbox instead of Playstation, which had all the SW related games before.

Marketing deals are so random.
Avengers might be with Sony and GOTG with MS or viceversa.

If you look at EA:
DICE/EA partnered with MS for Battlefield and with Sony for Battlefront.
Respawn/EA partnered with MS for Titanfall and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
EA Sports partnered with Sony for FIFA
EA Triburron partnered with MS for Madden etc...

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Marketing deals are so random.
Avengers might be with Sony and GOTG with MS or viceversa.

If you look at EA:
DICE/EA partnered with MS for Battlefield and with Sony for Battlefront.
Respawn/EA partnered with MS for Titanfall and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
EA Sports partnered with Sony for FIFA
EA Triburron partnered with MS for Madden etc...

It's not really random if you think about it beyond just one publisher. It's math and opportunity costs. PlayStation chose to pay for some and not others.

They were already paying for marketing for Call of Duty, why also pay for marketing for its competitor. They were already paying for marketing for the two biggest sports franchises (2K & FIFA), why also pay a steep price for Madden. They were already paying for a co-op/PvP space first person shooter (Destiny) around launch why pay for marketing and deals on another, especially when Xbox is willing to pay for it as a full-on exclusive.

I'm not sure why we talk about marketing deals so much here. They materially don't matter that much to end users beyond exclusive content and that entire premise is mostly dying off these days for all the storefronts. You may get brand-specific add-ins, but it's mostly rare these days outside of some legacy deals like CoD map packs and the RDR stuff from Rockstar that you're actively getting stuff before others.

You're more likely to have to fork up the money for a timed exclusivity deal that includes marketing as a part of it before you could have someone agree to a deal like Destiny/CoD again in 2019. Rockstar's Red Dead Online deal is probably the only one like it I remember most recently last year.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't Sony own a small part of Square back in the PS1 days?

Edit- Daaaaang they owned 18% back in the early 2000s. For 14 years. Finally sold off their shares in 2014.

LOL

Well there ya go, my late night ravings actually had some basis in reality at some point in time ;)

Now it's time for Sony to finish what they started!

Jan 20, 2019
Sony buys exclusive titles early one when they need to sell the console, later on there is no point in paying milions for a game that you ca n get for free and get 30% of the sale.

With Microsoft and Nitendo being a failure early that allowed them to sell consoles without as much games as the ps3 era.

And that payoff as they made a shit ton of money, next gen might ve different and they need to bet a lot more in 1 party content.

Soo, acquisitions should be on the table as open new studios as well.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Sony buys exclusive titles early one when they need to sell the console, later on there is no point in paying milions for a game that you ca n get for free and get 30% of the sale.

With Microsoft and Nitendo being a failure early that allowed them to sell consoles without as much games as the ps3 era.

And that payoff as they made a shit ton of money, next gen might ve different and they need to bet a lot more in 1 party content.

Soo, acquisitions should be on the table as open new studios as well.

What? To be more professional cise what exclusives did Sony buy in the beginning of this gen, because if memory serves, MS were the ones buying exclusives?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
What? To be more professional cise what exclusives did Sony buy in the beginning of this gen, because if memory serves, MS were the ones buying exclusives?

Xbox had two notable exclusives in Rise of the Tomb Raider and Titanfall, but PlayStation also had a litany of exclusive indie titles and AAA exclusive content deals early on.

Most of that money seems to have moved over to supporting VR titles (still indies!) and being more aggressive in expanding out studios content of their own. As it should really.

Anyway, they had plenty of timed exclusive and exclusive content deals.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It's obvious why Sony skipped E3 this year huh. Everything would've leaked and their conference would've been even worse than last year's.

lol, any number of reasons we can name at this point...

- Didn't have any new megatons to drop and didn't want to disappoint the fanbase
- Are unhappy with the state of E3 and want it to change
- All surprises get leaked prior to the show
- Using the money saved on the show towards the Square Enix purchase fund ;)
- Sony predicted the Raptors could win their first championship that night and booked the day off work :D

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I notice UploadVR has a conference as well. Do we expect to see Sony reps up there showing PSVR games?

Edit- maybe at the AMD conference for a quick sec. Teasing the PS5's chip, with a "See You At PlayStation Experience 2019!" message?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Here's an interesting question. When all is said and done and E3 is over, is there a possibility that the PlayStation platform will have more games announced for it than any other platform? I'm talking exclusives, multi-plats, everything. So that's between PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC, Stadia, Android and iOS I suppose.

I dunno if anyone will tally everything up but it would be very interesting to see where the PS4 falls considering the lack of a Sony presence.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I notice UploadVR has a conference as well. Do we expect to see Sony reps up there showing PSVR games?

Edit- maybe at the AMD conference for a quick sec. Teasing the PS5's chip, with a "See You At PlayStation Experience 2019!" message?
Not sure but I think it's possible they could include updates on some PSVR exclusive games in that show since Shuhei did retweet about it. Though I guess he could just be retweeting about it since it's a VR show in general and some of those games could easily end up on PSVR too.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Here's an interesting question. When all is said and done and E3 is over, is there a possibility that the PlayStation platform will have more games announced for it than any other platform? I'm talking exclusives, multi-plats, everything. So that's between PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC, Stadia, Android and iOS I suppose.

PC most likely, everything from MS, PC Gaming show has 30 games, UploadVR, everything from Square Enix (minus FF7R or some NSW only title), Bethesda, Ubisoft, Devolver Digital etc...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
True. Still curious where Sony would land in the grand scheme of things though.
Yeah, maybe a bit less since they're not there, but given their position I think it's possible they could be close to the top in amount (PC might have more though overall since there's the PC show and they will likely also get lots of the third party stuff in the other conferences too, and also whatever couple of MS' first party things they have). Especially with the smaller shows included that do less PC and MS, like NISA etc.

Sony will get new exclusives games from other publishers, it always happens.
Yeah

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
The SW game is trying heavily to be like ND but it just isn't working.
An important aspect that make walking/jumping linear parts work in ND games is the dialogue between characters or characters talking to themselves (usually humour). This add more impact to the game rather than going from point A to point B in silent. Rockstar also do this very well.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
The SW game is trying heavily to be like ND but it just isn't working.
I thought that too. Was parts of Amy Hennig's game re purposed for this because it had some Uncharted vibes? Like Uncharted x Titanfall x Star Wars.

I don't care about Star Wars at all but would probably have given it a go if it was a decent Uncharted-like. Felt a bit lacklustre though.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of SW marketing, I think EA's self induced bad public relations is part of the equation. We all know that there are other things to consider when signing these deals and to have your platform so closely associated with an ip that attracting such a groundswell of negative sentiment, is likely a factor.

I mean, Sony and Disney's relationship is close enough that they dealt with Disney directly about their previous SW relationship. I don't have the article to hand but I remember it being revealing that they didn't need to contact EA directly about marketing rights.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love the people in that SW thread blaming people for not being impressed.

And for some reason not being eternally grateful and throwing money at it for the simple reason that it's SP.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has acquired the Captain Crunch IP and Naughty Dog will be making a Pirates of the Carribean breakfast cereal mashup action adventure game.

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, maybe a bit less since they're not there, but given their position I think it's possible they could be close to the top in amount (PC might have more though overall since there's the PC show and they will likely also get lots of the third party stuff in the other conferences too, and also whatever couple of MS' first party things they have). Especially with the smaller shows included that do less PC and MS, like NISA etc.
Nowadays there aren't really much third party exclusives left but still a lot of console exclusives with PS4/PC or X1/PC so it pretty much always puts PC in the lead by a good amount, especially now that all MS first party & most smaller Japanese games are on it.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I definitely didn't get a Naughty Dog vibe from that game. Not a single puzzle in sight or even a big action set piece shown off, which are pretty big traits to me.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I went from DAY ONE to Wait&See

Yes that's cool they want to do a singleplayer game but from what we have seen, it's too classic in its form. Even Uncharted 4, a 2016 game, has a far better production and transition cutscene/gameplay :(

At least, the Force powers are damn cool and looks really fun to play

I think TLOU2 will show how ND improve the level-design, the transition cutscene/gameplay, etc... to a next level of immersion (the improvement from TLOU to Uncharted 4 was already mind-blowing)

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Nowadays there aren't really much third party exclusives left but still a lot of console exclusives with PS4/PC or X1/PC so it pretty much always puts PC in the lead by a good amount, especially now that all MS first party & most smaller Japanese games are on it.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about in my example when I said PC would probably still be ahead lol (especially with any few new MS games also coming to it in addition to all the multiplats). But maybe a small bit of a boost back from the smaller/Japanese/smaller Japanese publishers that might still do a PS4 or PS4/SW title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.