• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Control turned out to be somewhat mediocre.....
I don't consider Control AAA.
1265636017752nrk1x.gif

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
For a highly marketed AAA single player game it is average. Even if it is slightly above average there are way too many better games for me to bother creating time for this. It's certainly no system seller.
This is nonsense...

Ico would likely score a 80/85 on meta today. It's filled with more critics, more click baits, more styles and preferences and more discussion. Technical performance for example could be a huge ding. Or something like loading times or Polish in menus. An 81 as an aggregate is not average buddy.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Control is a medium budget title with
AAA presentation.

It's not that different from Hellblade in that regard.

Oct 26, 2017
For this gen? It'd have to beat Red Dead Redemption 2, but I think that's possible once the marketing kicks in.

That's impossible, RDR 2 was the second biggest entertainment launch ever with $750m in sales in the first 3 days behind GTA V $1b in 3 days.

TLOU 2 won't make Destiny, COD, The Division launch numbers for obvious reason but it will be big nonetheless.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Control is at 81 Metacritic. Mediocre, right?

Yeah, look at all these mediocre games:
Until Dawn (79)
Detroit Become Human (78)
Hitman 2 (82)
Crash N-sane trilogy (80)
Assassins Creed Origins (81)

SOOO mediocre.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
That's impossible, RDR 2 was the second biggest entertainment launch ever with $750m in sales in the first 3 days behind GTA V $1b in 3 days.

TLOU 2 won't make Destiny, COD, The Division launch numbers for obvious reason but it will be big nonetheless.
I agree but how much would if have to sale to accomplish that much revenue?

I think Sony should seriously consider releasing their games on PC, seems like an obvious way for more money to be made off the same content. Anecdotally I don't know anyone who has a gaming platform and simultaneously has a PC rig than can run console level games. I know Shawn mentioned MP games, but I think Sony's top tier titles would benefit too, especially years later.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Please show me receipts of the budget of control.

I got you, fam.

Remedy's latest title Control is being made with a budget of between €20m ($22.2m) and €30m ($33.3m).

That's according to Remedy CEO Tero Virtala, who said in a talk at Devcom 2019 that the title was made with triple-A experience but a more moderate sum than its previous titles. A side effect of this is that there's less pressure on the Finnish studio to hit huge sales figure before it has recouped its budget.

www.pcgamesinsider.biz

Devcom 2019 - Budget for Remedy's Control between €20m and €30m

Remedy's latest title Control is being made with a budget of between €20m ($22.2m) and €30m ($33.3m). That's according to Remedy CEO Tero Virtala, who said in a talk at Devcom 2019...

Oct 26, 2017
Please show me receipts of the budget of control.

https:///2019/08/26/remedy-entertai...rior-to-controls-release-fall-in-stock-price/

The news comes via Finnish news website Helsingin Sanomat (The Helsinki Message). Initially they interviewed Virtala on August 19th, regarding Control's budget of "€20-30 million," and on the CEO's uplifting outlook on the project. "Let's just say we have a positive, enthusiastic atmosphere."

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ever? GTA V is hard to top. The hype for it was insane.

For this gen? It'd have to beat Red Dead Redemption 2, but I think that's possible once the marketing kicks in.

Ever was probably too strong of a word, I'll say the most hype since gta5. Because once Rockstar announces gta6, that will take over.

And I don't see red dead hard to top iibh.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
All things considered I think control will sell pretty good. It's a very interesting game with fun gameplay. Once those big streamers and youtubers start giving it some spotlight it'll definitely crack 2 million I believe.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ever? GTA V is hard to top. The hype for it was insane.

RDR2 has already sold over 25 million copies worldwide on two platforms. Next year it will hit 30+ million.
TLOU2 will not reach 30+ million. If it's as great as TLOU1 it will maybe reach TLOU1 numbers. Which is already at 20+ million. But 30 million is simply too much and not possible.
I'm thinking 7 to 8 first week.
Way too high. 4 - 5 million is possible tho.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Of course The Last of Us Part 2 won't beat the biggest multiplatform games,but PS4 software only? I can see Part 2 beating any multiplform game in world wild numbers next year not named COD.
Shipping to retailers and selling at least 12.5 million copies at full price will grant $750m in 3 days

12.5 million in 3 days for TLOU 2 is way to high, this is RDR2, COD and GTA territory and maybe FIFA.
Too high indeed,only Rockstar can achieve that,and with 2 platforms,even GOD can't with 3 platforms,let alone an exclusive.

Last edited:

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, RDR2 is still the biggest launch of this gen, i know ERA lives in its own bubble but RDR2 hype was extremely high and the numbers proved it.
The marketing budget that game had was insane. Commercials all over TV, billboards worldwide, train station flyers all over etc.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 has already sold over 25 million copies worldwide on two platforms. Next year it will hit 30+ million.
TLOU2 will not reach 30+ million. If it's as great as TLOU1 it will maybe reach TLOU1 numbers. Which is already at 20+ million. But 30 million is simply too much and not possible.

Way too high. 4 - 5 million is possible tho.
Yeah,but do you think Part 2 can beat RDR2 PS4 SKU? I mean,Uncharted 4 has sold around 16M, Spiderman 13M in 10 months,God of War over 10M in a year,and no way Part 2 is selling less than Uncharted 4,so I expect Part 2 + 18M minimum, can RDR2 sell 19M on PS4 alone?GTA V for example is probably the only game to sell 20M.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah,but do you think Part 2 can beat RDR2 PS4 SKU? I mean,Uncharted 4 has sold around 16M, Spiderman 13M in 10 months,God of War over 10M in a year,and no way Part 2 is selling less than Uncharted 4,so I expect Part 2 + 18M minimum, can RDR2 sell 19M on PS4 alone?GTA V for example is probably the only game to sell 20M.
RDR2 on PS4 alone? Hm, might be possible if the game is as good as TLOU1 :)
Hellblade wasn't mid budget, it had a budget of 10m and a pretty small team (around 20 people). NT were trying to do a AAA like game on a tiny budget, why it was in development for ages.
Under 10 million and around 20 NT devs. Ninja Theory called it AA. And for indies "and indie AAA". But in the end, it really was a AA budget with under 10 million dollars. THAT's AA! Not Control. But whatever....

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 on PS4 alone? Hm, might be possible if the game is as good as TLOU1 :)

Under 10 million and around 20 NT devs. Ninja Theory called it AA. And for indies "and indie AAA". But in the end, it really was a AA budget with under 10 million dollars. THAT's AA! Not Control. But whatever....
I'm not talking about Control, but a 20-30m development budget and possibly 200+ dev team (probably more 100 range) would be AAA imo, on the lower end, but still AAA, if it's not neither is Day's Gone or Second Son, probably Bloodborne and HZD wasn't too far off 30m dev budget, it's was 47m and 250 dev team if I remember right, that'd be mid budget for AAA. I'm correcting someone who thought Hellblade was mid budget, it wasn't mid budget, it wasn't even really AA it was closer to a indie game, just made by a once AAA studio.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Aren't AAA titles basically games produced by major publishers that typically have higher development and marketing budgets? To me it's analogous with the film term "blockbuster".

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Are we really at a point where an 81% rated game is "somewhat mediocre"?
81% on Metacritic is considered mediocre?
Imagine thinking that an 81 is "mediocre".
If 81% is mediocre i guess Days Gone is literally shit then?
Opencritic is the new standard and Control is at 84% on there with 115 reviews. Metacritic only displays 43 reviews currently. That is practically at the same level as Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, which happens to be one of the best games of this generation.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well since this is the WWS/Exclusive OT. How many have you all purchased this year? Can be from any year.

So far I have purchased Days Gone (not played yet) and Concrete Genie.

I still don't know how I feel about Death Stranding, The last kojima game I played was MGS4. I didn't agree with some decisions done with V, so I passed on it. Kojima is a gaming hero to me and I don't wanna be disappointed. I'll probably not decided until November hits.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Well since this is the WWS/Exclusive OT. How many have you all purchased this year? Can be from any year.

So far I have purchased Days Gone (not played yet) and Concrete Genie.

I still don't know how I feel about Death Stranding, The last kojima game I played was MGS4. I didn't agree with some decisions done with V, so I passed on it. Kojima is a gaming hero to me and I don't wanna be disappointed. I'll probably not decided until November hits.
I've picked up Dreams and gonna pick up Death Stranding.

Status
Not open for further replies.