• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Even better if Sony Japan follow suit with San Diego on Uncharted and suspiciously Redhill in UK is rebooting Syphon Filter. Freedom Wars is a JS property and best selling JS title in Japan of this gen (yes, even better than Bloodborne). Not worldwide because Vita was dead everywhere else. They haven't shut down Propakun on twitter he is still active. I have hopes it's happening with Miwa Deura have left Shift and did moved to Sony's management to be involved with organizational decisions.

This is what Jim Ryan talked about when merger come to discussion.
Redhill in UK?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Resistance > KZ > Socom > Ratchet > Uncharted

The order I want these franchises to return

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How much would Remedy costs? It seems like their market cap is 115mi. But Sony can probably get a better deal considering they basically own no IPs except for Alan Wake.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
but.. but.. its so good...

R3 had such an excellent campaign

R2 had the best coop mode next to Horde mode, with great MP.

Honestly, I think the Chimera just don't have enough personality to function as antagonists for long. They're really, really boring. They'd need a completely new story if they wanted to bring the series back.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Sony is little too late on buying devs. If they announce acquisitions this year - it will take like 3-5 years for those studios to make something. So the best case scenario is that games will come like in 2023-24.

And yes, we got teased with MS buying studios by insiders on era. We got 0 things from them about Sony. So i dont believe we will hear anything this year
Never is too late on buying devs.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Variety is good, but you can't do variety for variety's sake. Ultimately developers will decide what they wanted to make.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a megaton? Keeping a game away from former fans?

Man, gaming in 2019 y'all lol

What's so special about 2019? Do some of y'all think this is new?

I still remember when Oddworld was bigger; it was a huge deal that they ditched the PS2 to release their game exclusively on the Xbox with Microsoft as publisher.
Or when MS bought Rare and took stuff like Perfect Dark with them.
Or FF7 going onto the PS1 instead of the N64.
Or Soulcalibur releasing exclusively on the Dreamcast when its predecessor, Soul Edge, released on the PS1.
Or Ninja Gaiden being made exclusively for the Xbox when the originals were on the NES.

Alan Wake 2 simply existing -- when the original publisher had no interest in it and sold it back to Remedy -- would be a megaton and not even as "bad" as any of these.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
How much would Remedy costs? It seems like their market cap is 115mi. But Sony can probably get a better deal considering they basically own no IPs except for Alan Wake.
I could be completely wrong here but I think since Remedy is a publicly traded company that's basically impossible as the shareholders would need to sell their shares for less than they're worth.
I can probably guess the sources they talked to, given the Remedy stuff has been making the rounds.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could be completely wrong here but I think since Remedy is a publicly traded company that's basically impossible as the shareholders would need to sell their shares for less than they're worth.

True

I am not sure Remedy is worth that much tho... how many devs do they have? I think Sony should try first funding a game developed by them to test the waters

Oct 26, 2017

If Control and CrossFire are a success, the market cap will skyrocket easily.
They can't get a better deal, they have to negotiate with the shareholders, assuming they want to sell their shares to Sony.

115 million is nothing but running a studio in Finland is expensive, it's by far one of the most expensive countries in Europe, but that's a thing for all the scandinavian countries.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Here's a list of Sony IPs that really don't need to come back...

Killzone
Knack
Lair
Modnation Racers
Resistance
Days Gone
Loved those games. What are you talking about?
giphy.gif

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I just don't see the benefit in Sony trying to compete with the already-entrenched juggernauts of the MP FPS genre. They're never going to have a success on that level and attempting to get one could sour their relationships with EA and Activision.

It's not about achieving success on that level though, that's never what 1st party's been about, is it?

I just want them to provide additional options. As a primarily MP shooter player I don't feel that we have an overload of them, there's room for more. When you're someone who doesn't enjoy them maybe you see CoD and the like dominating the charts and the chatter and then you feel that way, but it's not the case.

There's also plenty of room to push in untested directions and innovate in the genre, as we've seen this gen despite the reluctance of certain franchises to do so. That is something that 1st party can afford to do in order to attract fans of the genre who might not already be convinced by Playstation.

As many people have said, TLOU's multiplayer was a really unique and enjoyable experience, but it was relegated to the position of bastard child all through the development, hype and release cycles. Now imagine if, instead, Sony had invested into making it it's own fully fleshed out half of the game rather than a little bonus add-on, and marketed the game as both a SP and MP game, like MS did for Halo.

I played Kill Zone 2 and Resistance and where good, Kill Zone 3 was solid and Resistance 2 coop was great. Never played Resistance 3 but heard is great. Played MAG but got bored. Shadow Fall was very forgettable.

I played all 3 Resistances. I was a big fan of the series and it's actually what got me into FPSs in the first place.

RFOM was a promising, if unspectacular, start. R2 added some really cool things (especially its coop) but suffered due to being on the PS3 platform as well as being somewhat forgettable. It's still one of the FPSs that I personally have great memories from, though.

R3 killed the franchise despite having more marketing. The MP tried too hard to be like CoD, and it lost whatever memorability Resistance had remaining. I dropped it within a month for the actual CoD of that year. The campaign also failed to stir emotion. It all just strayed from the solid and interesting building blocks of R2. Overall the game was way more forgettable than the other games and had almost no redeeming qualities.

Like I said, mediocre.

Never got into Killzone that much, but from the betas I tried and short plays at my friends house, the shooting never felt that good. Obviously that's damaging for a shooting game.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Sly Cooper and Jak are great, Jak way more than Sly IMO of course, but I just dont think these franchises have the appeal outside of a remaster which will undoubtedly happen.
I know Jak is better, but Sly Cooper was the first of the three (Jak, Ratchet, Sly) that I've played. I started with Sly 2. Then went on to find the 3rd and 1st one. Soon after, I found the Jak & Daxter series, which then lead me to Ratchet and Clank. Those were marquee franchise for Sony during that era and should all have been mascots even today. So I have a sentimental attachment to that series.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Something additional I'd like to say on the Housemarque expansion: to me it sounds like the fact that whatever deal they signed with their publisher is a multi-game deal. I'm no businessman, but to me it sure sounds quite risky to double your size in just 15 months when you've only secured funding for a single game. What if the game flops? Then you're suddenly stuck with double your expenses and no funding.

I don't think Sony has acquired them (yet), if they did I think Sony would just announce it instead of waiting for some sort of show. But Sony could definitely be involved.
Not necessarily I don't think. They could be waiting until the right time to announce their new AAA game to also announce the acquisition of the studio. Kind of like how they have the new San Diego studio working on a new uncharted game, allegedly, but still haven't announced either.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When we say PS5 launch exclusives, are we talking day and date or launch window?

I'm asking because I seem to be holding a minority position. I don't think PS5 needs to launch with a huge exclusive. In fact, I'd rather they skip the launch window entirely and drop one of their exclusives in Febuary 2020. Three months after the initial launch window if November 2019 holds true.

I honestly believe that, at least here in Europe, Fifa, PES, and COD marketing deals will put them in a commanding position. I mean, this was the scene across Europe back in 2013, when PS4 launched with Knack (is love) and Killzone Shadowfall.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Even better if Sony Japan follow suit with San Diego on Uncharted and suspiciously Redhill in UK is rebooting Syphon Filter. Freedom Wars is a JS property and best selling JS title in Japan of this gen (yes, even better than Bloodborne). Not worldwide because Vita was dead everywhere else. They haven't shut down Propakun on twitter he is still active. I have hopes it's happening with Miwa Deura have left Shift and did moved to Sony's management to be involved with organizational decisions.

This is what Jim Ryan talked about when merger come to discussion.
I'd love a new Freedom Wars on PS4/5.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
When we say PS5 launch exclusives, are we talking day and date or launch window?

I'm asking because I seem to be holding a minority position. I don't think PS5 needs to launch with a huge exclusive. In fact, I'd rather they skip the launch window entirely and drop one of their exclusives in Febuary 2020. Three months after the initial launch window if November 2019 holds true.

I honestly believe that, at least here in Europe, Fifa, PES, and COD marketing deals will put them in a commanding position. I mean, this was the scene across Europe back in 2013, when PS4 launched with Knack (is love) and Killzone Shadowfall.

I love watching these freakouts during sales and black friday lol

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Why can't they? They're about the only ones that do it well. Inability to produce single player games that sell well is what drives publishers like Square Enix (Avengers), WB (unannounced GAAS game(s)) and of course EA (Anthem) to put experienced single player teams on games that don't really suit them. Even Bethesda's games seem to be adding online components to everything.

Because its boring? And ultimately self defeating. Gamers will tire of it in the end. Its why Sony aren't as interesting as they were early this gen. They've lost a lot of their diversity in their portfolio.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Remedy would make sanse inside WWS, but I guess there are more suitable studios to buy or at least, something that would add more diversity.

I would like to see a new fist party studio (besides Guerrilla), making a RPG (JRPG or WRPG).

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
if GG is making a NEW MP IP then I would be more interested in seeing how that plays out then seeing the debut of Horizon 2

since I just want to see what GG does with it artistically

especially if it is a hero based mascot shooter like Overwatch... I want to see what GG does design wise for each character

let us just hope though it isn't VR and it isn't low budget

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
if GG is making a NEW MP IP then I would be more interested in seeing how that plays out then seeing the debut of Horizon 2

since I just want to see what GG does with it artistically

especially if it is a hero based mascot shooter like Overwatch... I want to see what GG does design wise for each character

let us just hope though it isn't VR and it isn't low budget

I wouldn't expect to see that potential new Guerrilla IP any time soon. Simon only rejoined Guerrilla last year. And that seems like when they started assembling another team for that project. H2 has likely been in development since the original wrapped up. So we should see that first.

It might have VR support, but there's no way that it'll be VR-exclusive. Sony wants to make a play for the multiplayer space, and they'd immediately lose any momentum of doing that if they lock it behind VR.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because its boring? And ultimately self defeating. Gamers will tire of it in the end. Its why Sony aren't as interesting as they were early this gen. They've lost a lot of their diversity in their portfolio.
Sony's 1st party output is stronger and better than every before. And we still get games like PixelOpus, Gran Turismo, Dreams, Blood & Truth, Astro Bot, etc. Doubling down on their strenghts is good and makes sense.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick poll.
If Sony acquires a platform holder, what platform holder do you want?

- Nintendo
- Microsoft
- Steam
- Epic Games Store

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Seems he's also off to Microsoft. Phil and Major Nelson both commented on it, and John alluded to seeing them more often.

Grats to him!

It seemed that they're just congratulating him. Perhaps in his next job we'll be doing more business with MS, since he obsivously, wasn't in much contact with them on a professional level at PS.

Or maybe he's actually getting a job at MS. Time will tell.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
If Sony actually bought both Housemarque and Remedy, European continent would equal the number of American studios, right?

America: 7 (San Diego (unnounced), Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Bend, Sucker Punch, San Diego Studio, San Mateo)
Europe: 7 (Remedy, Housemarque, Manchester Studio (unnounced), London Studio, Media Molecule, Guerrilla and XDev)
Japan: 2 (Polyphony and Japan Studio)

It's still rather strange that Sony hasn't have more studios in Japan and none in Canada.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If Sony actually bought both Housemarque and Remedy, European continent would equal the number of American studios, right?

America: 7 (San Diego (unnounced), Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Bend, Sucker Punch, San Diego Studio, San Mateo)
Europe: 7 (Remedy, Housemarque, Manchester Studio (unnounced), London Studio, Media Molecule, Guerrilla and XDev)

It's still rather strange that Sony hasn't have more studios in Japan and none in Canada.

Japan studio have many teams inside it, maybe they prefer to group them there instead of having 3/4 small studios.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

I think the new San Diego team will be counted as just another team based on the San Diego campus where VASG studio is based too (with that MLB team)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.