Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The CEO said in a radio interview that they were brining the suit because they could show that she was making these claims while knowing they were false.
I'm glad to see this. All the analysis I had seen originally said even with it being as blatantly false as it was, without direct evidence that Powell knew she was lying it would be a tough sell to the courts.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Who's gonna hire Dominion and deal with Republican nutjobs going apeshit on them in the future? At the moment they just have contracts they previously signed to work with. Will they get new contracts with that stink on them? Probably not from Republican controlled states.

Dominion probably even has emails and audio to back up the lost business and why claim at this point.

I just skimmed the complaint and there's nothing alleged about a loss of current or future business. It's mostly about how their employees (and company in general) were targeted because of the false statements and seeking to clear their name.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I have little doubt Dominion is going to go to the mat for this. She threatened the health and existence of their company. They need to absolutely destroy her and let the world know that they destroyed her and she was full of shit. I don't see how they'd accept a settlement and an NDA in which both sides say nothing more.
Yeah this isn't the usual token lawsuit. They want salted earth.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see this. All the analysis I had seen originally said even with it being as blatantly false as it was, without direct evidence that Powell knew she was lying it would be a tough sell to the courts.
The only bad news is that they aren't going after anyone above her like Trump because they are saying she was intentionally feeding them bad information.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they sue everybody who went out of their way to claim fraud. Fuck all of them. They didn't think there would be consequences.

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing to do with this case in particular, but how protected are lawyers when they're saying things on behalf of a client?
Like if we take this matter, she could say this was information given to her by her client and thus she just repeated her client's "proof".
Dominion are suing her because she said crazy shit but was that crazy shit just repeating her client's words? And if so, isn't there a legal protection for the lawyer?

Or is it because she's saying things to the press and not in a courtroom and thus she's personally liable for what she utters?

Oct 28, 2017
One billion dollars!

imagev1bdd138dbfae902bujtw.jpg

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
They did everything they could to stack up the evidence in this case.

Put her on notice that her actions were damaging to undercut the defense that she didn't have knowledge and then gave her the remedies to correct it, which she didn't do, to drive it into the ground.

Now it's just a matter of receipts for both the financial effect and the death threat issue.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Play stupid games win bankruptcy through monumental fines and a career ending publicity stunt. Womp fucking womp.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Awful kind of her to flush her life down the drain for someone that doesn't give a shit about her.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if your business is voting machines, your core value is how secure they are, so no shit you're going to burn to the ground baseless claims when they're an existential threat to your company. So yeah, they're going to skull fuck every right wing moron who's made these claims to defend their future prospects. Not doing it would be an admission that there's merit to the claims.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone should read these two tweets before the schadenfreude euphoria goes to your head. I've been saying it in the other Dominion threads but it bears repeating: Suits involving defamation against a public figure are very very very hard to prove in the United States. Ken says it right out there, you have to prove in court that Powell either knowingly lied or knowingly disregarded the truth (with receipts to back you up) so that the defamation rises to the legal standard of "actual malice".

Dominion certainly has a chance here, moreso than a lot of other defamation cases (cough cough Vic Mignogna cough cough), but it is still a very tough road to walk.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Everyone should read these two tweets before the schadenfreude euphoria goes to your head. I've been saying it in the other Dominion threads but it bears repeating: Suits involving defamation against a public figure are very very very hard to prove in the United States. Ken says it right out there, you have to prove in court that Powell either knowingly lied or knowingly disregarded the truth (with receipts to back you up) so that the defamation rises to the legal standard of "actual malice".

Dominion certainly has a chance here, moreso than a lot of other defamation cases (cough cough Vic Mignogna cough cough), but it is still a very tough road to walk.
If I was going to represent her I would want the cash on the barrelhead upfront. She should hire Lin Wood.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Haha that's awesome.

I hope every lawyer who participated in these fraudulent suits gets disbarred, including Gouliani.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Sounds like defamation to me.
Just because your Supreme Leader gets away with lying all the time doesn't mean you get to do it too.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They need to make an example out of her and throw the book at her. Prevent these ridiculous claims and frivolous lawsuits from being a thing every election.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Her mere existence and the mythical claims of voter fraud and conspiracy she came up with was probably the funniest thing to come out of this post-election nonsense. Don't know if that's in poor taste to say at this point
It's not funny because now almost half the country don't trust the election system anymore. Trump and his goonies did irreparable damage the democratic process.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It's not funny because now almost half the country don't trust the election system anymore. Trump and his goonies did irreparable damage the democratic process.
Yeah I shouldn't have said that. It's just that like... she's so out there. Is our country really this dumb? Has it really come to this?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Where's giuliani at? We haven't heard from him in a while. Buried under all the evidence?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Legal Experts Say Dominion's Defamation Lawsuit Against Sidney Powell Appears to Be 'Extremely Strong': 'It Will Be a Hell of a Ride'

Jonathan Schwartz is a partner at Michigan-based Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C. He analyzed the situation as such:
Dominion appears to have an extremely strong case on the merits, and the potential damages are astronomical. The Complaint filed by Dominion's attorneys contains brilliant legal analysis and detective work, and frankly is one of the finest I've ever seen, both in content and presentation. These defendants, and others who made allegedly unsubstantiated accusations against the company, should be terrified of the consequences and the certainty of expensive multi-year litigation.

Schwartz, a First Amendment and media law attorney, said that the Dominion lawsuit serves a purpose well beyond refuting the claims made against the company.

"At this point, the lawsuit is not only important to Dominion, but also to the American people who have suffered greatly from the ensuing terror caused by baseless attempts to undermine the 2020 election," he said.

lawandcrime.com

Legal Experts Say Dominion's Defamation Lawsuit Against Sidney Powell Appears to Be 'Extremely Strong': 'It Will Be a Hell of a Ride'

Legal experts say the defamation case has merit, that Powell's continued embrace of her claims has weakened her potential defense, and that the overall legal battle should prove to be an interesting test of the intersection between constitutionally protected political rhetoric and the...

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they take her, and everybody else involved with spreading their clear lies to the cleaners.