• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should you be able to use an accessible toilet if you don’t have a disability?

• Yes, anytime

Votes: 328 47.3%
  • Yes but only in emergencies

Votes: 346 49.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 19 2.7%

• Total voters

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Are you kidding me?

It's not a disabled stall. It's a first-come first-serve high-class luxury stall. Every time I'll pop into there. It's not like I'm spending half-an-hour in there anyway.
If you're going to use the handicapped stalls, at least have the decency to acknowledge that privilege exists because of the disabled people for whom they are built as a much needed convenience in a world full of inconveniences. A "luxury" for you -- a necessity for someone like me.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
In public areas with a lot of toilet goers? I only ever do it in case of severe emergencies (as in: literally about to shit my pants).

As for places where I know there's not a lot of traffic? I use them, but I try to use as little time as possible.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I really think the idea behind them is accessibility rather than exclusivity. I get the sense most people avoid them anyways but given the average bathroom only has two stalls it's not always feasible.

having said that I think persons with disabilities should have the final say in this.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course. I am using women's toilet too and I will tell you one thing, that place is nasty.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said that having to go so bad that you would otherwise shit your pants is disabling, and it is. Other totally appropriate words to describe it: crippling, painful, incapacitating. You cannot operate normally in that situation.

I did not call it, or equate it to, A Disability, which is a different word entirely. I'm sorry if you found my 'jovial' language inappropriate in this thread about toilets.
This is a thread about disabled toilets and you're claiming you never meant to equate the word disabling to a disability? The fact that you'd rather try to twist what you said, double down and even accuse someone with a disability of being insensitive to IBS just to get out of apologising is cowardly and sickening. Welcome to my ignore list. You're an awful person.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Only if it's a number two emergency...like, it's use that stall, or you're going to shit yourself in public. Even then, do it as fast as you can. I suppose even a peeing yourself emergency would be acceptable. If you keep somebody waiting, apologise profusely and sincerely, I think that most would understand.

If you're capable of holding it though, hold it.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wouldn't use one if others are empty. But I'm not usually in a toilet to admire the porcelain and will use one if no others are available.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah it's not like I'm gonna be in there for more than a few seconds. I'll definitely use it if everything else is dirty

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Voted never since I haven't been in a situation where I felt I needed to use one. I can hold it, I can wait for another stall and if absolutely needed I can walk to another toilet.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Well someone's gonna shit their pants. Me or a hypothetical person with a disability that might need to go at the exact time as me.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people voting "only in emergencies"? Maybe if you're gonna take a huge shit, rendering the stall unusable for anyone but you while you wipe for half an hour, but otherwise? Use away. If a disabled person comes in and I'm pissing, well then I'm gonna be done in a few seconds anyway. What's the big deal?

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Good to see "liberal" resetera maintaining its stunning record of ableist posts. Time to put EtcetEra on ignore again. Disabled facilities aren't for people without a disability. You don't need them. You didn't have to fight for them or suffer without their absence.

And by the way "handicapped" hasn't been an acceptable synonym of disabled since the Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law in fucking 1990.

DON'T USE THAT WORD. Are you still walking around talking about "colored people"?

Don't bother replying, I won't be seeing it anytime soon.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Use whatever one you want, but if you do use the handicapped one, don't linger in there in case someone who really needs it wanders in. That's a real dick move.
Basically this. I'm 41 years old, and in all my years of using public toilets I've seen like 2 people who actually needed the disabled stall. Odds are there won't be an issue and if it's between that and shitting your pants, go for it.

edit: Jesus Christ @ above

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
In a case like yours, it's of course okay, OP. Otherwise don't use it. Like other people said, treat it like a handicapped parking spot.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people voting "only in emergencies"? Maybe if you're gonna take a huge shit, rendering the stall unusable for anyone but you while you wipe for half an hour, but otherwise? Use away. If a disabled person comes in and I'm pissing, well then I'm gonna be done in a few seconds anyway. What's the big deal?
The big deal is as explained.... there are peope with disease like UC, Chrones, and other IBD who cannot hold it.

They NEED access. If you can hold it, hold it and wait for occupied regular toilets or walk to another.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
People do realise some disabilities aren't physical.
But the accessible toilet is made specifically for people with reduced movement: wheelchairs, elderly people, ... They aren't made for people with other disabilities. People with other disabilities that can use normal stalls, should use them if available. Not all disabilities require equal treatment, someone with IBS in Belgium for instance gets a card which forces every store to show them the employee bathroom for instance if they require it.

The big deal is as explained.... there are peope with disease like UC, Chrones, and other IBD who cannot hold it.

And they should also use the other toilets first if available.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even at the end of the world.

001.png

Fear-the-Walking-Dead-Season-4-Episode-11-10-9561.jpg

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
i suppose it's the definition of emergency that needs work, i'm usually in a bog because i need to go, i don't hang around reading or anything like that. do i have to wait for turtles head or something?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i suppose it's the definition of emergency that needs work, i'm usually in a bog because i need to go, i don't hang around reading or anything like that.
If it's the only toilet available - If you don't use it, are you going to wet/shit yourself?

Yes = use it
No = don't

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
KYS. Know your stalls.

At my office building, in 8 years we've never had a handicapped person on our floor. So use it at will.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If it's the only toilet available - If you don't use it, are you going to wet/shit yourself?

Yes = use it
No = don't

Don't worry i was just having a bit of fun with mental image of people pushing themselves to the limit to prove they are worthy of emergency relief to the toilet police. i know how public bogs work.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry i was just having a bit of fun with mental image of people pushing themselves to the limit to prove they are worthy of emergency relief to the toilet police. i know how public bogs work.
Ah, lol. I have a limited sense of humour here and you can imagine.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
More often than not there are only 2 toilets in the mens restroom. Im not about to wait on the regular stall if the accessible toilet is available. Just use it and continue on.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Using them when it's the only alternative. The thinking being, if I really have to go and it's the only stall available, it's not worst for another person to have to wait than it is for me.

However if I use it when other stalls are available when I come in, I take the place of someone who can potentially only use it.

Use your brain, people.

Oct 26, 2017
I mostly ever use them when it is an emergency or if it is the only stall available and I know I'm going to be quick and there's no one else around outside of the bathroom.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As a disabled person my preference would be that you only use them when the other stalls are being used. If that's the case you should feel free to use it. They're handicap accessible, not handicap only. Just do us all a favor and be quick about it and don't sit there on your phone or w/e while others need to go.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I have IBS so yeah, I use them if I'm having a flare up. Otherwise I try to use regular stalls instead.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking a full on separate room, I wouldn't use it.

If we're talking just the big stall in a normal bathroom, that's fair game.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the accessible toilet is made specifically for people with reduced movement: wheelchairs, elderly people, ... They aren't made for people with other disabilities. People with other disabilities that can use normal stalls, should use them if available. Not all disabilities require equal treatment, someone with IBS in Belgium for instance gets a card which forces every store to show them the employee bathroom for instance if they require it.

And they should also use the other toilets first if available.
Is this true? That would be a life-saver for me in a place like NYC. Good on Belgium if so.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If the other stalls are being used, dirty or whatever, just use it. Toilets are usually pretty limited so do your thing, emergency or not.

On that note, if someone disabled comes in, you get tf off immediately. Don't spend another five minutes wiping when someone actually needs that stall. Just be considerate and you'll probably do the right thing.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use them all the time. They're designed to accommodate people with physical handicaps, but they're not exclusively for those people. They're still just a toilet, anyone can use them.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Is this true? That would be a life-saver for me in a place like NYC. Good on Belgium if so.
Yeah, but apparantly not just for people with IBS and similar disabilities. Also for stoma users and MS patients. It is coming from an initiative of non-profits around these diseases, so it could be good for similar things in New York to try and organize as well.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you stretch the logic a bit, then explosive diarrhea is a situational "disability" that would be understandable to use one of those toilets.

I mean, I don't have a disability if I had a sore bottom from sitting too long or something benign like that. But a toilet like that (which you notice is rarely ever used) would greatly assist in reducing pain in that situation. I think it's then fair to say if you are using it with an intentional reason for doing so, its fair. If you are simply going straight to it because its closest and you are lazy or you like the padded seat or something, then that's bad.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What? It's a toilet with extra functionality, not some special exclusive use toilet, get real.