• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 12, 2018
Over a decade ago I had this bet with George Jones who back then was EIC of Gamepro magazine.
Last I know he is now a game level designer at EA.

So resetera hive mind, does he still owe me beer or should I forget about this?

DxL-qvFWsAA3gRF.jpg:large

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Can you transcribe it? The handwriting is a bit sloppy, something about onlive?

But yes, of course it should be honored, especially if it's something as great/trivial as beer.

OP
OP
Sep 12, 2018
Basicaly it says that Onlive or a similar service will not have a working model for 5 million people within 5 years.
If I am wrong I owe George a case of Westvleteren beer and if he is wrong he owes me.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
He bet on OnLive? He absolutely owes you a beer then, lol.

And frankly, you'd better cash it in soon, because streaming services like Google's actually are about to become a viable thing.

OP
OP
Sep 12, 2018
Like you know that Ace Combat 7 thread, I have never visited it but I know Aerocrane started it.

I have no clue who Aerocrane is btw.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I remember who the OP is. I hope you got the validation you so desperately crave out of this thread as well, friend.

As for the topic at hand, yeah you're totally owed a beer.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone make an Appropriate Losing Avatar for this if they don't pay for the beer. It shall at least be amusing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
A case of Westvleteren? I remember paying like 25 euros for a single glass of it last year lmao, when a couple of local bars got a tiny shipment of it.

It was insanely good, though.

Last edited:

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
Over a decade ago I had this bet with George Jones who back then was EIC of Gamepro magazine.

No he does not. Finland's law stipulates that a debt must be renewed actively via reminder or something else once in 3 years (active expiration) and the total time, unless agreed differently, is 20 years (passive expiration). As such the debt has expired.

As such, kinda lame he hasn't given you the beer :P

Edit: Above is what Finnish law says about it. As this contract was made in Finland, the applicable law is Finnish law. Edited above to better convey the message.

Last edited:

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

It's not dated.

No proof of date means no proof of date of bet redemption. 5 years from when?

No proof means no debt.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
What is the bet about ? If it's about Onlive or a similar company making it big didn't you lose?
Gaikai is PS Now now and is absolutely huge

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I'd say that if you ever meet him again in a casual situation like a lunch break or chat at the bar, you can jokingly remind him of the bet. If he's a good sport, you'll probably get your beer. It's only one beer after all.

Although I wouldn't be insistant on it if it looks like the subject of the bet is a sore spot for the guy. No need to annoy the guy for just one beer.

OP
OP
Sep 12, 2018
I'd say that if you ever meet him again in a casual situation like a lunch break or chat at the bar, you can jokingly remind him of the bet. If he's a good sport, you'll probably get your beer. It's only one beer after all.

Although I wouldn't be insistant on it if it looks like the subject of the bet is a sore spot for the guy. No need to annoy the guy for just one beer.

No, its a case of Westvleteren. Not a single beer.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
It's not dated.

No proof of date means no proof of date of bet redemption. 5 years from when?

No proof means no debt.

The fact that the bet specifically says "In 5 years..." at the beginning and the OP is trying to redeem it now gives context as to approximately when the bet was made, even without a specific date.

Of course, I have no idea how Finnish law works, but that just seems like common sense.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the bet specifically says "In 5 years..." at the beginning and the OP is trying to redeem it now gives context as to approximately when the bet was made, even without a specific date.

Of course, I have no idea how Finnish law works, but that just seems like common sense.
The OP stated this over a decade ago.

If no reasonable steps has been made in 5 years+ to claim a debt, I think it can be argued as being expired in a legal sense, especially with no proof of when the debt became live.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Doesn't PSNow count? I can't find user numbers, but I don't think this bet is as clear cut as some of you seem to think?

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland

Law is pretty simple in this case, the debt is overdue as he hasn't reminded on time. If it was mentioned by the OP to the other party after the 5 years, the debt is valid still. Just a mention of "hey you remember the beer you owe" makes it legally binding. If he didn't mention it, like in this case I think he didn't, the debt is no longer in effect.

Case of the other party being drunk and the debt being made at 3am don't have effect, if the OP (and in this case it's even in writing) has understood the promise.

Edit: Let's say the debt was written 11 years ago, so it was due 6 years ago, so the debt would be old after 3 years, if no mentions. If OP mentioned it however, that extends it another 3 years. so it could be still in effect today, as this thread, if the other party is aware of it, can be deemed as a reminder.

In my previous reply I hadn't seen the image for some reason.

Edit2: Applicable law is 2003/728 §5, 10 and 13a

Last edited: