• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should they?

• Yes

Votes: 777 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 792 50.5%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Forcing?!

They aren't forcing shit on us omg. Fans demanded Remakes for both RE2 and FFVIIR.

And regardless of your opinion of its quality or story telling a lot of people are loving it and yes even including the ending.

No one at Square or Capcom are forcing anything on fans.

It's not like they're making new games. You have the remakes or you get nothing. So yes, you are kind of forced to play these if you want to have anything to play.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo aren't ever going to do a ff7r style reimagining of OoT. They value their past games way too much to revamp them like that.
You might get a HD version of the 3ds games though, if you're lucky.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Worldwide-Sales.jpg

My magic 8 ball says unlikely.
I.. never realized MC was the worst selling Zelda title.

Now I'm really sad...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
For Zelda games I think I'd rather have remakes in the vein of Link's Awakening. All new graphics, some gameplay and QoL tweaks but the game remains largely intact.

HonestCone

Oct 28, 2017
I think it would be pretty cool, it'd be nice to see how they would re-imagine certain parts like they did with the ff7 r.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's like re4 where I don't care either way. Both games that are good to me, but I don't see either as this absolute Holy Grail of games. If they do I will get it, but they could also just fully remaster OoT 3d.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Should they? Yes.

Will they? No.

I don't have numbers on me but looking at assets in FF7R the budget for this kind of remake would be astronomically too high for Nintendo to invest.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not like they're making new games. You have the remakes or you get nothing. So yes, you are kind of forced to play these if you want to have anything to play.
Final Fantasy XIV just got a huge expansion which is heralded as fantastic.

Dissidia NT was released a few years ago.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was last year

Bravely Default II is launching soon.

And there are many more games from Sqaure coming so it seems like plenty of Square games, including new FF titles/RPGs are being released as well.

So they are making new games, and even if they wherent you still don't need to play everything they release.

There is seriously no way you are forced to play these remakes, and it's ludicrous to claim they are being forced on us.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because if it was true that it's impossible to add anything to ocarina of time because it would make the game worse, that would mean it's some sort of perfect Zelda game and the next games in the series would be pointless.

that's uh some weird interpretation of what i said

OOT is perfect as it is and adding or removing anything would make it a worse game, its pacing and amount of content is just enough of what it needs. It doesn't mean they can't make other, different Zelda games, nor that they can't be better. Just that OOT doesn't need content improvements of any kind.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Because if it was true that it's impossible to add anything to ocarina of time because it would make the game worse, that would mean it's some sort of perfect Zelda game and the next games in the series would be pointless.
The best games that followed Ocarina were the ones that changed things up drastically instead of just following in its footsteps.

Twilight Princess WAS pointless, it's 80% just Ocarina but worse.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo aren't ever going to do a ff7r style reimagining of OoT. They value their past games way too much to revamp them like that.
You might get a HD version of the 3ds games though, if you're lucky.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Worldwide-Sales.jpg

My magic 8 ball says unlikely.

Yep, and this is what saddens me about the future of the series. BOTW wasn't what I wanted out of a Zelda title at all, but considering it's significantly more successful than any other title in the series, I guess that's the formula we're stuck with now.

Jan 2, 2018
lucky for you, good remakes are new games! RE2make is not RE2, FF7R is not FF7.

Shit like Link's Awakening I agree, but remakes that dont play it obnoxiously safe like that are great, because they change, add, or redo things they couldnt do in the 90s/00s

I prefer 1 to 1 remakes. I don't want a different game, sometimes I just want the same game but with updated controls and/or graphics.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I'd be interested if they gave it modern graphics and kept all the dungeons the same but just removed the N64 jank and some of the outdated archaic stuff like defaulting to repeat information from Navi and so on. Streamline and make QoL improvements, but don't change

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
No the next game is a different game. It's not the previous game with stuff added. It is qualitatively different

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

And there are many more games from Sqaure coming so it seems like plenty of Square games, including new FF titles/RPGs are being released as well.

So they are making new games, and even if they wherent you still don't need to play everything they release.

There is seriously no way you are forced to play these remakes, and it's ludicrous to claim they are being forced on us.

It's going to be an extremely long time before we see FFXVI because of the VII remake. KH4 is likely six years away too. I'm sorry, but I just don't care that much about spinoff games. All that matters to me is the major stuff, and if you want a real full-spec FF game to play who the hell knows how long you have to wait for that?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Remakes, despite what some people say, are new games. It's except for some cases like Shadow of the Colossus, these remakes don't even share the same base code

But if people want new games, that generally means they don't want to experience the same story, but with some new writer (or the same writer, but multiple decades older) fucking around with it.

Stapling new (usually very generic, modernized) gameplay to "remixed take" on an old story is not the same thing as an entirely new idea.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love that. Make it the Ura Zelda where they expand upon the original.

I know that Twilight Princess was supposed to be what Ura Zelda was. But I just want the story of Ocarina of Time redone in the same veins of FF7 remake.

A more realistic but stylized take on the story, updated to be more grounded, while also making changes to improve on what was already there just expanded upon.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, think about what's going on in FFVII R and how that's already built into OoT and there's a lot of fun shenanigans Nintendo could get up to.
I'm not seeing it. FFVII could stand to benefit from a modern re-imagining in myriad ways that don't really apply to OoT at all or to the same degree.

That's not to say I'd mind an OoT remake. I just don't think that FFVII-R is an example of the sort of remake that Ocarina of Time deserves or needs.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Now I'm really sad...
It's so underrated, now that is a game I'd love to see remade on Switch and with cel-shaded visuals.

Don't forget that Yoshi-P is currently leading an unannounced AAA RPG (probably XVI).
I'm someone who really dislikes FFVIIR, but it certainly isn't stopping them from making other games, that's for sure.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I'm tired of Zelda remasters and remakes already. Even ALBW started as a remake.

I'm fine with them porting the WiiU/3ds remasters to switch, but I want original games from now on.

The only games that could warrant a remake in my opinion are Zelda 1&2, but only if they do it like Metroid Zero Mission and include some interesting extra scenarios.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
But if people want new games, that generally means they don't want to experience the same story, but with some new writer (or the same writer, but multiple decades older) fucking around with it.
Fair enough, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to improve upon the old game with a remake. Hell, I might even agree that OoT was as good as it could be at the time, but that doesn't apply for a supposed modern remake.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, and this is what saddens me about the future of the series. BOTW wasn't what I wanted out of a Zelda title at all, but considering it's significantly more successful than any other title in the series, I guess that's the formula we're stuck with now.

I'm not so sad about this. The BOTW structure would be perfect if they made the world a bit smaller but had actual old-school dungeons in there. I'm sure they can tweak it to something that can please both BOTW fans and old-school Zelda fans!

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I love modern new games! That's why I want EPD to focus on those instead of rehashing the same formula the Zelda series has been stuck on since Link to the Past, but this time with even LESS variation.
Breath of the Wild has:
Nearly every mainline Zelda race
Zelda, Link, and Ganon, all in their normal roles
Redesigned enemies from the first few games
______(dragons) based on Din, Nayru, Farore
Every single location is a reference
4 main dungeons

The story? A bad thing happens, link sleeps for awhile, he wakes up, he collects all the things, he saves zelda, and he beats ganon.

What does BotW bring new?
Open air world
Breakable loot
120 minidungeons
voice acted cutscenes

only one of those above is wholesale amazing(open world), the others are either controversial or, in the VA case, mean little because they're optional flashbacks of dead characters.

Innovation is not always good, and redoing things that worked is not always bad. BotW is basically a super remake of Zelda 1.

Or lets go with FF, whose last several main entries have been lambasted by people and had rocky developments. FF15 tried new things, and a good amount sucked. Same with 13. Same with early 14.

In Resident Evil's case this doesn't even matter because they're pumping out mainline too, but they're still relevant because the remakes redid their over-the-shoulder action, and it was the best feeling resident evil ever made(imho).

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Favorite game of all time, but... I'm good.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Now I'm really sad...

Minish cap was at least justifiable beyond the fault of the game. It launched well after the DS came out in America, and barely a month before in Japan. It's no big surprise it didn't do well, everyone would have been waiting for the new handheld and crazy things like super mario 64 on the go at that point.