Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yea, but they don't own the people that can walk off and make games elsewhere if they want, so it does matter what they think. Any hint of bs or un-freedoms from MS and some will leave. This whole deal is brand new and you're going to see that in the future anyways.

MS should be, roughly, hands off for now and let them do what they do.

They didn't walk off when BGS made Fallout 3
They didn't walk off when Obsidian made Fallout New Vegas
They didn't walk off when BGS created a new Studio to make TESO
They didn't walk off when BGS made Fallout 76
They didn't walk off when BGS made Starfield, a new IP that had nothing to do with anything any veteran on BGS had ever worked on, while Elder Scrolls, their Baby, had no development done for a decade.

Microsoft is their new Boss, if they want to work on Elder Scrolls or Fallout, they can just switch teams. Microsoft would allow it without a thought.

It is quite a silly thought that a massive amount of devs would protest and quit BGS/Microsoft because Microsoft lets them work on the IP they love, RIGHT NOW, instead of finishing a new Elder Scrolls game in 5-7 years and Fallout game in 10 to 14 years.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Probably, will they is anyone's guess. Hopefully, if they do they spin up new teams and not relegate some of their current RPG studios to working on Bethesda's IPs. I am much more interested in seeing what Obsidian can do with Avowed and Outer Worlds 2 or inXile with their rumoured Steampunk game than having them piddle away on the well worn paths that are the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Let BGS do whatever they want. Make Morrrowind and Fallout 3 remakes in the interim.

This would be a better approach. Let the main teams do what they always have, but outsource remakes of Morrowind, New Vegas with cut content or even the early Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. Would strike a good balance between supporting creativity and not leaving quite as long between releases.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
They didn't walk off when BGS made Fallout 3
They didn't walk off when Obsidian made Fallout New Vegas
They didn't walk off when BGS created a new Studio to make TESO
They didn't walk off when BGS made Fallout 76
They didn't walk off when BGS made Starfield, a new IP that had nothing to do with anything any veteran on BGS had ever worked on, while Elder Scrolls, their Baby, had no development done for a decade.

Microsoft is their new Boss, if they want to work on Elder Scrolls or Fallout, they can just switch teams. Microsoft would allow it without a thought.

It is quite a silly thought that a massive amount of devs would protest and quit BGS/Microsoft because Microsoft lets them work on the IP they love, RIGHT NOW, instead of finishing a new Elder Scrolls game in 5-7 years and Fallout game in 10 to 14 years.
Dude people come and go all the time and they weren't owned by MS then and nobody said anything about protesting. You're moving posts.
This is what you said: "In the end, it doesn't matter what Bethesda want to develop."

That is BS and if those people don't get what they want they will leave (like I said earlier). Period.

JusticeBolt

Dec 5, 2017
Canada
Short answer yes. These games print money, MS need to do something about this.
or
InXile get bigger and make a new Fallout.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
InXile or Obsidian shouldn't make a Fallout unless they absolutely want to. These two studios have full financial backing and creative freedom for the first time in forever and I wanna see what original games these studios come up with.

If anything the Fallout 76 team should be grown to start making the next SP entry to Fallout. If Fallout is on the shelf for the next decade outside of FO76 then that's fine with me.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda should have a say in what happens to their franchises.

That being said, a 10-15 year gap between entries in single player titles is too long. Fallout 5 is probably 9 years away at this point if it's developed by BGS. So something should be done. Maybe they could add teams to BGS? Have a team dedicated to each franchise

Last edited:

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you form a dedicated team, but for Fallout specifically I also don't think you wait for Maryland to be done with Starfield and TES6. Idk how it'd work logistically with 76 support still going, but I could see them wanting Austin to give it another go from the ground up on Creation 2 with all the lessons they've learned since 76 launched. Probably a single player game with optional multiplayer elements to appease both fans of 3/NV/4 and the 76 community

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Todd Howard doesn't want it.
If I was MS I would mandate a team for Fallout, a team for Elder Scrolls, and a team for Starfield/etc.

I don't think this is going to happen but with the way things are today, we are looking at 2025-27 for ES6 and fuck knows for Fallout 5, and it's a huge bummer. I love their games. I'm not going to live forever and I'd love to get a game from them more than every 5+ years.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Selfishly I'd much prefer that, in order that these games release more frequently. But easier said than done. Splitting teams or expanding too fast could have ramifications in quality and design, plus increase management difficulty, so I guess it all depends on what is realistically best for creative output or maintaining the quality of it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Dude people come and go all the time and they weren't owned by MS then and nobody said anything about protesting. You're moving posts.
This is what you said: "In the end, it doesn't matter what Bethesda want to develop."

That is BS and if those people don't get what they want they will leave (like I said earlier). Period.

You are misunderstanding the loyalty / love developers have for Bethesda with the love they have for a specific franchise.
If they love Bethesda, they don't care what other studios within Microsoft work on, they will happily work on the things that Bethesda works on.
If they love a specific franchise like Elder Scrolls, they would be ecstatic that they can work on Elder Scrolls RIGHT NOW at another Studio in Microsoft instead of in 5 years or so when Bethesda is finished with Starfield and its DLC.

Or are you insinuating that they are so petulant that they throw a tantrum because another Studio is making a game in the Universe Bethesda won't be working on for years to come?