Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Man, while i was playing DMC5 i was thinking the levels looked really bland.
The gameplay is top notch just the art on them levels.... ehh

Yeah sure bland
7BA43643E1E8D0B019136C73F8C82B4F294AF4D4

6B2CCD62C18C35817E86A8082CA50F219E434F75

B5B869ECAD3DE2A99AB7C09492E3B20E1EDF3D5D

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
You should play it as It's a very good game on its own right. The hate for it is mostly over now that DMC5 is out.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.
The repetitiveness of DMC5 is really bad. Also, the Art design is way recycled. Too many levels look the same.

DmC offered unique levels. Each level was a different experience.

I still like DMC5, but I cannot praise it blindly.

You surely aren't talking gameplay wise, right? Dante alone has quadruple the options available to him at all times over DmC Dante.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
The Bob Barbas fight is still one of my all time favorite boss fights. (of any game) I just found it crazy and interesting. And the humor was pretty good too.

Okay, I need to start off by saying I am one who really appreciated DmC, and definitely will play it when I do another playthrough of the series.

But, the Bob Barbas boss fight being a good fight is stretching it.

The fight is basically a gimmick, in that after you figure it out, and maybe play it another time, it loses all its allure. It hardly requires any skill or is challenging in any way. It's just a slightly creative gimmick, but it's hardly memorable.

Still, DmC has a good share of good fights that you can enjoy. Overall, I would say, and this kinda applies to both DmC and DMC 1-4 (I haven't played 5 yet so no idea there), the DMC series is hardly memorable in the boss department, with 3 being the good exception.

To add to the above, I am actually one of the weirdos who kinda liked DmC's weird They Live-esque story, and kinda enjoyed Dante of that game for how silly and stupid and obnoxious he is, even though he grows on you a tad little bit later on. I also enjoyed the style of that game.

The thing is, when talking about DmC, that for all its merits and good bits and there are a lot of those I assure you, It's a failed experiment. Capcom wanted a more mainstream western audience for arguably their flagship character action game, akin to God of War, and that game didn't guarantee that.

The fact that this might be the only instant where a publisher decided to roll back on their reboot and go back to the older timeline should tell you a lot.

Another thing that kinda saddens me about that game is that because of Ninja Theory and Capcom's advertising attitude and how they decided to diss the original fanbase, it's hard to actually have a rational, discussion about it in good faith.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, I need to start off by saying I am one who really appreciated DmC, and definitely will play it when I do another playthrough of the series.

But, the Bob Barbas boss fight being a good fight is stretching it.

The fight is basically a gimmick, in that after you figure it out, and maybe play it another time, it loses all its allure. It hardly requires any skill or is challenging in any way. It's just a slightly creative gimmick, but it's hardly memorable.

Still, DmC has a good share of good fights that you can enjoy. Overall, I would say, and this kinda applies to both DmC and DMC 1-4 (I haven't played 5 yet so no idea there), the DMC series is hardly memorable in the boss department, with 3 being the good exception.

To add to the above, I am actually one of the weirdos who kinda liked DmC's weird They Live-esque story, and kinda enjoyed Dante of that game for how silly and stupid and obnoxious he is, even though he grows on you a tad little bit later on. I also enjoyed the style of that game.

The thing is, when talking about DmC, that for all its merits and good bits and there are a lot of those I assure you, It's a failed experiment. Capcom wanted a more mainstream western audience for arguably their flagship character action game, akin to God of War, and that game didn't guarantee that.

The fact that this might be the only instant where a publisher decided to roll back on their reboot and go back to the older timeline should tell you a lot.

Another thing that kinda saddens me about that game is that because of Ninja Theory and Capcom's advertising attitude and how they decided to diss the original fanbase, it's hard to actually have a rational, discussion about it in good faith.
You make some good points, but I'd argue a large majority of boss fights have gimmicks in them. So it's not alone in that respect. Regardless, I never said it wasn't an easy fight. I just think the fight is memorable and really interesting.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you want, they aren't really relevant to eachother. But do whatever you want

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
You make some good points, but I'd argue a large majority of boss fights have gimmicks in them. So it's not alone in that respect. Regardless, I never said it wasn't an easy fight. I just think the fight is memorable and really interesting.

I get you. My point is that it's really easy when you understand what you have to do. The attacks are color-coded so that even makes it easier.

Look, for example, at the Vergil fights in 3. All of them are really, really fun and gives you a run for your money. The two swords fight as well, the horse fight, even the one where you have to open the light eye thingies is fun even though it's gimmicky.

And like I said, DmC has good boss fights. The Hunter is simple and cool, the Vergil one is also fun.

The Bob Bardos fight lies on its gimmick (how the camera change and the highly unusual terrain), but it's really basic at its core.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
DmC has spectacle going for it if you're just interested in a one and done run.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
There are some nice shots and i love the houses in early missions ,the library and the final stage, but tbh it is bland, even for DMC standards, i don't expect top notch surrealistic art on my (main) DMC because the games always prioritized 60fps combat with simple , clear combat arenas and artstyle and i was fine with just that, but DMC went a bit over the realistic look, even if its technically impressive i feel like it lost that light fantasy feel for something a bit more generic and 'urban'.

Certainly i would hope they mix up these things a little for DMC 6

Last edited: