• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What order should I play them in?

• SMB3 -> SMW

Votes: 229 98.7%
  • SMW -> SMB3

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I have been on a Mario kick as of late. Having gone through Galaxy, 3D World, Bowser's Fury, and Odyssey in quick succession, I'm thinking of taking a bit of a break from 3D Mario and playing through some of the older 2D ones to properly familiarize myself with the roots of the series, which I haven't had as much of a chance to do.

The obvious contenders are SMB3 and SMW, both of which are thankfully available via NSO. I just don't know how to go about the pair, so I figured I'd turn to Era.

I have two questions:
  • Which one do you think is better?
  • More importantly, do you think it's more advisable to go from SMB3 to SMW, or from SMW to SMB3?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I would play them in order and see which one you prefer overall. I personally like World more but they're both fantastic games.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World is better, but I would go with SMB 3 first. That way you can see how the series improves from gen to gen

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
SMB3 is both better and more of a challenge.

SMW is a joy to play but waaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. To this day I have never seen the game over screen.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Play Super Mario Bros 3 first.

Super Mario World is such a mechanical improvement from Super Mario Bros 3 that it can potentially sour the gameplay starting with World first.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Play them in order. Super Mario Bros. 3 holds up very well, and I like it more than world personally though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Go with release order, so from 3 to World.
If you're only going to play one, then... Today, I'd say 3 but it's a toss up. World's soundtrack though... Both demand to be played!

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
When it comes to core gameplay, 3 is king. But World definitely evolved the series in terms of exploration.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I think Mario controls better in SMW and I love the cape power up, but SMB3 is a noticeably better designed game. It doesn't matter at all in which order you play them.

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
Play them in order. Both are excellent games, but you feel that some levels in SMB3, in particular in world 6 or 7, were not so well designed compared to early worlds. SMW is more consistent in that sense, probably due to its non-linear world map.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Play 3 first. I like SMW quite a bit more and have it is my favorite 2D platformer of all time. If I'm doing a rare replay of some 2D Mario games I'll do the older ones first as if I do SMW first I have a harder time getting into 1-3.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if 3 is a better game but the leap over the previous entry (either Mario 2 or lost levels) is a magnitude higher than the leap from 3 to world.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Play then in release order.

I still think SMW has the best physics in the series, why won't they let us throw shells/items upwards anymore? SMB3 probably has stronger level design for the most part but the levels can be sooooo short sometimes.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Here's my expert opinion: flip a coin.

I personally prefer SMW but both games are fantastic and you don't seem to be turned off by going to older games from newer ones. There's no correct order in that case.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Play 3 first. It's entirely valid to like SMB3 better, even though I myself don't. But I don't think anyone can consider SMW to be 'a step back'; it's clearly an evolution. So playing 3 after World would just be weird.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I prefer 3 and think it should be played first. Release order and all that.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
SMW is still my favorite Mario after all these years, so I'd go 3 to W. It's also got a number of evolutions in design between the two, even if it's technically easier to "break" a lot of SMW compared to SMB3.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
SMB3 and SMW are two of my favorite games ever, and both hold up stupidly well. I played SMB3 back when it first released on the NES, so I have a ton of nostalgic love for the game as well, but I think I like World more, if only by a hair. I can never really decide which one I like more.

I recommend release order, personally, but again, it's probably because that's how I experienced them back in the late 80's and early 90's, and at the time, seeing the jump from SMB3 to SMW was mind blowing to me lol

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I'm gonna have to say it doesn't overly matter! Both games are great, you should play them both starting with whichever one catches your fancy. Try them both, see which one you like more and then stick with that for a while!

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Love the which is better question:

For me if I had to rate both out of 100, the lowest score would be a 96...

They're easily both masterpieces I'd give a marginal edge to World but it's a small small edge.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
World is easier and also better (IMO), so I voted to start with that. Especially since it doesn't make SMB3 obsolete or anything. They're just different.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMB3 then SMW.

As for which is better, I can acknowledge that SMW is bigger and better objectively, but there's something about SMB3 that I prefer and I can't properly explain why.

And then play SMW2: Yoshi's Island, and expect something completely unique.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
World is more of a playground, SMB3 is more cut and dry good ol' mario platforming

i personally prefer the latter. physics are tighter, courses shorter and tightly designed

depends on what you want out of it, really

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMB3 is the best 2D Mario, but I'd still play it first just to get a feel for how the series evolved over the years.

Haha no, release chronological not like in universe.

He should never play Yoshi's Island.
Chronological specifically refers to in-universe. The "debate" is always chronological vs release order.

And it's not really a debate because the answer is almost always release order.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
SMW is my favorite Mario game. However, you should play SMB3 first since its also a great game and you can see how they improved from SMB3 to SMW.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
SMB3 is the best 2D Mario, but I'd still play it first just to get a feel for how the series evolved over the years.

Chronological specifically refers to in-universe. The "debate" is always chronological vs release order.

And it's not really a debate because the answer is almost always release order.

Then I will change my wording in the future to "release order" because I can't think of any series that should be played chronologically in universe. I'm including Yakuza 0 in that statement.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
SMB3 holds up well enough that playing it after SMW won't feel like a shittier experience. Play them in whatever order you want.