• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which cat should I get?

• The $1200 cat

Votes: 37 3.5%
  • The $300 cat

Votes: 63 5.9%
  • Both

Votes: 121 11.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 373 35.2%
  • A third, different cat

Votes: 466 44.0%

• Total voters

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Another vote for adopt. I adopted two adult cats about a decade ago and they're both still among the best parts of my day. (We chose relatively young adults because even they have a terrible time getting adopted but we wanted animals who would be with us for a good long time. We didn't have the heart to fall in love with an animal and lose it right around the corner, sorry older adult cats who need homes) I understand you've had tough issues with two animals, but buying certainly isn't a guarantee that won't happen. My parents bought a purebreed when I was a kid and the poor puppy came down with Parvo within two months. We had to spend a fortune to save her life and even that fortune only gave us effectively a coin flip of her surviving (luckily she did and was an amazing dog for many years to come, lost her about 5 years back and thinking about it still breaks my heart)

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
If you are unemployed you should get the less expensive cat or no cat IMO.

I know that it sucks to hear, but if you are unemployed, it isn't a wise decision to get a pet. They cost money to feed, and house, and provide enrichment. And vet bills can quickly get very, very expensive.

But if you must get one, please adopt from a reputable rescue, they will make sure that the animal has been checked out by a vet, has had all of its vaccinations, is fixed/neutered, and healthy enough to go to a new home.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy a cat when you can't even take care of yourself. Pets sound cute but they ain't cheap longterm.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Adopting is more economical, and ethical - and they come pre spayed/neutered. At the Humane Society, the adoption comes with a free first check and round of shots too. And we're pretty close to kitten season, which is March - October. There will be a shit ton of kittens at your local shelters pretty soon.

If cost is a factor I would not get a cat unless the future costs associated with such pet, beyond adoption, are secure, either by yourself gaining employment, or your family etc.

That being said, I would echo adopting from a shelter, the point of adopting a shelter pet is to give them a second chance, regardless of whatever medical conditions they may or may not have.

Oct 25, 2017
Between my wife and I, we have had 4 cats from shelters/the street, but we finally bit the bullet and spent a couple of grand on a savannah. We made sure she had the exact features we wanted and she is a complete delight. Once our oldest cat goes, however, we will probably go back to the shelter.

My point is, if you are going to spend money on a cat, make sure its exactly what you want. If neither fit the bill exactly, adopt a shelter cat for now and save the money! Besides, nothing wrong with having more than one cat!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverā„¢
Sep 24, 2019
This thread is making me feel even more crazy than I thought I already was šŸ™ƒ
You're not crazy, you're just uninformed. Volunteer a handful of times at your local shelter and you'll never want to buy "fancy" cats again. At every single shelter, everywhere, there are wonderful cats & dogs that would love nothing more than to have a home. Please strongly reconsider.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Going to echo everyone else, just adopt. I got both of mine from a shelter for about $30 total and they're both fantastic.

OP
OP
The Auxiliary

The Auxiliary

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
You're not crazy, you're just uninformed. Volunteer a handful of times at your local shelter and you'll never want to buy "fancy" cats again. At every single shelter, everywhere, there are wonderful cats & dogs that would love nothing more than to have a home. Please strongly reconsider.
This is the reason I originally went with shelter cats all those years ago. I'm kinda getting hit over the head, so I probably should go this route in the end even though I've kinda got attached to the idea of either of the other cats.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeaah....I would say adopt, but it sounds more like that I should recommend not to take responsibility for a living creature.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Between my wife and I, we have had 4 cats from shelters/the street, but we finally bit the bullet and spent a couple of grand on a savannah. We made sure she had the exact features we wanted and she is a complete delight. Once our oldest cat goes, however, we will probably go back to the shelter.

My point is, if you are going to spend money on a cat, make sure its exactly what you want. If neither fit the bill exactly, adopt a shelter cat for now and save the money! Besides, nothing wrong with having more than one cat!

Savannah cats are awesome, especially the early generations.

Shelter pets are mostly great animals who need a good home, and most shelters are just giving away cats normally, I know the pandemic cleared out shelters for abit but should always check.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverā„¢
Sep 24, 2019
This is the reason I originally went with shelter cats all those years ago. I'm kinda getting hit over the head, so I probably should go this route in the end even though I've kinda got attached to the idea of either of the other cats.
You and I both know that going with the shelter is the right idea. And if it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one that's eyeing the $300 and $1200 cats. They WILL find homes without any effort. The shelter cats have the odds strongly against them, though.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm making a small amount of money on a small project I've been working on, and it's enough to buy food, litter, and occasional doctors visits for a cat I believe.
Have you actually mathed this out beyond identifying your "dream cat?"

Please actually examine how much it will cost to buy regular food, litter, recreational toys, and "occasional doctors visits." Additionally, who's the fallback source of income if your small project falls through? Your parents? Your sisters? As a responsible pet owner, you're going to need to get their buy in ahead of time, just in case you don't have enough money to cover food or an unforeseen vet visit.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
For Pete's sake, ADOPT. There are so many cats stuck in shelters that need a good home. People paying hundreds/thousands of dollars on Designer animals is just wrong IMO

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't shelters put down the vast majority of cats? I seem to remember a local newspaper running a story that a shelter here puts down 90% of all cats whereas most dogs are eventually homed?

Adopt a cat. Buying a cat from a breeder is for suckers. Shit we just adopted a cat for my daughter last week for her birthday, through a local family who needed to get rid of her because of her incompatibility with their pit bulls. Cost my wife and I zero dollars and she came with a litter box, toys, food, and a scratching post. Plus we gave a young girl some comfort knowing that her cat would be well cared for and surrounded by family.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm making a small amount of money on a small project I've been working on, and it's enough to buy food, litter, and occasional doctors visits for a cat I believe.
I mean you do you and its your money but if you're unemployed and living with your parents, you may be able to afford the cat (temp gig which isn't permanent sounds like red flags galore when the money stops) but seems like there's other priorities with expenses.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Adopt a cat from a rescue. Don't support breeders.

Ethical breeding is fine, there are some great breeders out there who do good work and help preserve some breeds that were almost lost.

But there are a shit ton of shit breeders who do terrible things and don't care for the animals or their well being, always do very thorough research if you go with a breeder for a specific breed.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I dont know your personal situation but just from an outsider perspective, you need to come to terms with your financial situation. I know its mentally tough for a lot of people out there but if youre living at home and having to save up money for a cat is just a big warning sign. You really should reconsider this.

OP
OP
The Auxiliary

The Auxiliary

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
And this small project is going all year?

Does your family even want a cat?
Yeah it seems steady so far, but I don't want to talk about it. My family was on the fence originally but eventually came over to the idea when I said I wasn't going for a shelter cat again... Which is why I ended up in this position of asking for advice instead of adopting like I would have normally.

OP
OP
The Auxiliary

The Auxiliary

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
OP, I dont know your personal situation but just from an outsider perspective, you need to come to terms with your financial situation. I know its mentally tough for a lot of people out there but if youre living at home and having to save up money for a cat is just a big warning sign. You really should reconsider this.
You're probably right... But I've lived with cats my whole life and since my last cat died five years ago I've been yearning for feline companionship.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had a traumatic experience taking care of a very sick cat from the local animal shelter, and adopted another one after that who had health issues. Decided this time I'd search for cats online instead
When my family adopted a cat, we had trouble housebreaking him, and we were able to take him back to the shelter and swap him for a different one. The shelter people will just be happy you're taking a cat from them; they'll understand if you're looking for something in particular.

Socialization is a lot more relevant for cats' behavior than breed. Any cat you get will act sufficiently catlike.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Can you adopt kittens in shelters as in is it common or are they mostly grown.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
People pay for cats? People will pay you to take cats. Cats who need homes are everywhere. Find a cat that needs a home.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
You should get the cheaper cat if you're unemployed and save the money for further cat related expenses.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Take care of the job first. Cats are not cheap and also consider your housemates.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ethical breeding is fine, there are some great breeders out there who do good work and help preserve some breeds that were almost lost.

But there are a shit ton of shit breeders who do terrible things and don't care for the animals or their well being, always do very thorough research if you go with a breeder for a specific breed.
Yeah I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement - there are def ethical and good breeders. but a lot of mill and shitty ones.