• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was it his fault

• Yes

Votes: 293 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 68 18.8%

• Total voters

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yes because he was reckless and that costed him dearly.

However, people should stop acting like this single handedly ruined the movie and forever hate the character because of it.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
What I didn't quite understand about that scene when I was younger was that they say "Innocent" and force them to be eaten.

Was the point that it didn't matter if they were innocent or guilty or did innocent mean guilty in Quintessons language?
It's a kangaroo court. The Quintessons are amused by declaring defendants innocent before sentencing them to death. They are seen visibly laughing about it just before Hot Rod and Cup are sentenced.

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
I was devastated as a kid, it was totally his fault. However it was about the best way you can do it in my opinion... Prime wrecks everyone, and only loses because of Hot Rod. He went out on top, but I hated Hot Rod... Hated...

Skip ahead.. My son is growing up watching it, and he watched it all in order. His favorite was Optimus, so I expected him to hate Hot Rod.. But the kid betrayed me, and he actually feels for Hot Rod and felt sorry for him. He even says he's his favorite character now...traitor.

I actually love his take on it. It worked perfectly for him.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Hot Rod saw Megatron's hidden weapon, and jumped in to save Prime. 100% not his fault. I'd have done the same thing if I were him. Sure, it doesn't work out, but Hot Rod did everything right with the information he had in the moment. Anyone blaming Hot Rod for Prime's death should be ashamed. Ashamed.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hot Rod saw Megatron's hidden weapon, and jumped in to save Prime. 100% not his fault. I'd have done the same thing if I were him. Sure, it doesn't work out, but Hot Rod did everything right with the information he had in the moment. Anyone blaming Hot Rod for Prime's death should be ashamed. Ashamed.

Yes - because the greatest Autobot of all time...OPTIMUS PRIME would not have been able to defend himself against Megatron without Hot Rod's help. After wrecking shop on multiple Decipticons.

The audacity.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Yes - because the greatest Autobot of all time...OPTIMUS PRIME would not have been able to defend himself against Megatron without Hot Rod's help. After wrecking shop on multiple Decipticons.

The audacity.

Do you, seeing Hitler hiding a gun from Captain America, just assume Cap will figure it all out in that split second you have to act? Or do you recognize you have knowledge he's not privy to, and choose to act? I'd be jumping on Hitler, and jumping on Megatron, and if I'm Toad, I'm jumping on King Koopa, and if I'm E. Honda, I'm jumping on Dictator, and if I'm Louis Tully, I'm jumping on Gozer.

The world would be a better place with less guns and more jumping.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you, seeing Hitler hiding a gun from Captain America, just assume Cap will figure it all out in that split second you have to act? Or do you recognize you have knowledge he's not privy to, and choose to act? I'd be jumping on Hitler, and jumping on Megatron, and if I'm Toad, I'm jumping on King Koopa, and if I'm E. Honda, I'm jumping on Dictator, and if I'm Louis Tully, I'm jumping on Gozer.

The world would be a better place with less guns and more jumping.

Pull your weapon on Hitler. Pull your weapon on Megatron. Optimus lives.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How is this even a question. Optimus had the gun trained on him. Even if Megatron managed to grab the blast he was at a massive disadvantage and would have been blasted to scrap.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
It might have made for an interesting movie, Optimus kills megatron: most the Decepticons are absorbed into the Autobots. Unicron shows up and the have to deal with him while watching their backs.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Y'all just wanted Optimus to be your daddy as kids. Hot Rod rocks. :P

Rodimus is way more interesting as a character since he earns his leadership position, going on a proper hero's journey and even then he's more complex because of his reluctance to accept his destiny and his issues with imposter syndrome.

Optimus is as perfect (and therefore as boring) as Superman.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid HotRod and his matrix-stealing Op-killing ass.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The audacity.

Greatest autobot of all time shouldn't have yelled out his plans for Laserbeak to record at the start of the movie, which directly led to the loss of the shuttle and most of those on it and in Autobot city, leading him to this situation in the first place.

Anyway, the original G1 comic adaptation of the movie (possibly based off a different version of the script, in this case the Decepticons landed the shuttle outside the city) had Megatron doing the exact same thing, but this time there was no Hot Rod interference, Megatron just grabbed the gun and shot Optimus.

7.JPG

Optimus had plenty of time to shoot Megatron. Hot Rod or no Hot Rod, he choked, and paid for it.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all just wanted Optimus to be your daddy as kids. Hot Rod rocks. :P

Rodimus is way more interesting as a character since he earns his leadership position, going on a proper hero's journey and even then he's more complex because of his reluctance to accept his destiny and his issues with imposter syndrome.

Optimus is as perfect (and therefore as boring) as Superman.
I don't respect people who say Superman is boring.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't respect people who say Superman is boring.

Okay, substitute any other "Mr. Perfect" character of your choice.

The only two interesting stories Optimus was ever involved in were when he had to decide whether or not to bring Cybertron into Earth's orbit, or whether to leave the planet after losing his duel with Megatron.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Hot rods a punk. The store was out of Optimus primes that year and I got hot rod for Christmas :( Still sweet to get transformers though. He just became grimlocks bitch in my toy universe.

Just read the alternate reality transformers deviation and hot rod still manages to get autobots killed! What a bad luck charm that guy is!

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
That was Kickback and he was alive when the Decepticons retreated on Astrotrain. He later was turned into a Sweep by Unicron
There are inconsistencies even in the same movie.

- Shrapnel appears on Junkion after his bout with Unicron.
- Snarl can be seen in a few shots but nowhere else.
- You only see two Cyclonus together once (when they introduce him.)
- Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker can be seen fighting Unicron.
- Skywarp and Thundercracker are witnesses of Starscream's coronation.
- Soundwave obeys Megatron's order and carries him to Astrotrain which is cartoon accurate. When Megatron is later thrown out of Astrotrain, the first thing Soundwave does is challenge Starscream's and the Constructicons' nominations as the new leaders.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the death of Ultra Magnus was much cooler in the comics too, in the movie he's shot by some little flying ship thingies and Galvatron, but in the comic he's literally pulled limb from limb by tractor beams:
FinalBattle-drawnandquartered.jpg

I didn't see the movie until years after reading the comic, and was so disappointed.

This scene was lifted from the One-armed Swordsman.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This scene was lifted from the One-armed Swordsman.
I remember the death of Ultra Magnus was much cooler in the comics too, in the movie he's shot by some little flying ship thingies and Galvatron, but in the comic he's literally pulled limb from limb by tractor beams:

I didn't see the movie until years after reading the comic, and was so disappointed.

That was the original version of the scene in the movie too. The Sweeps even fire long continuous beam "ropes" in the shot focused on them.

Robert Stack's VO also kinda sounds like he's being slowly pulled apart.

Last edited:

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Can you imagine them actually putting that in the film?

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Hot Rod was a moron but I always gave him a pass. Optimus should've blasted Megatron when he had the chance. In fact I got the impression that Optimus would've let Megs live.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
For those that are more up on the overall transformers mythos, how does their species even work? Some Cybertronians are just on a different level to others. Bots like Optimus, Megatron, and I believe Grimlock are super juiced up compared to like a Bumblebee or Arcee.

I realize that Prime was powered up by the Matrix (wasn't he just like a worker name Orion Pax before he was Optimus Prime?) but what makes a Soundwave or Shockwave innately more powerful than a Cliffjumper or someone?

Do Cybertronians come in different classes?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For those that are more up on the overall transformers mythos, how does their species even work? Some Cybertronians are just on a different level to others. Bots like Optimus, Megatron, and I believe Grimlock are super juiced up compared to like a Bumblebee or Arcee.

I realize that Prime was powered up by the Matrix (wasn't he just like a worker name Orion Pax before he was Optimus Prime?) but what makes a Soundwave or Shockwave innately more powerful than a Cliffjumper or someone?

Hmm. I don't think size matters at least.

There were numerous times in the series where teeny tiny Brawn took out Decepticons twice his size.

And Wheelie killed a Sweep by shooting him in the face.

Jun 17, 2019
Do I blame Hot Rod for his death, no. Neither did Optimus. Hot Rod saw a weapon and was actually trying to stop Megatron from attacking Prime with a hidden weapon. Don't forget that Megatron has, in the past, put one over on OP because Prime does see the good in beings, even the Cons (It is one of his flaws that he's trusting as a leader), and because of that it's likely that Megatron would have shot him anyway.

Prime wouldn't have killed Megatron, that's not how he is. He's a leader that gives chances, wants to give Megatron a chance, and they have worked together in the past regarding things that could cause both of them harm. So Megatron would have been captured but not Killed by Prime. That's why Prime Fans were pissed by the Bayformers version.

Keep in mind that Prime represents to his voice actor here in the states (Peter Cullen) his late brother Larry, whom he based the voice of Optimus on. So the idea of the Merciless killer OP is way, way wrong.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Hot Rod was responsible for Optimus getting shot. Awful writing was responsible for his death. The stupidity of that deathbed scene was only topped by the stupidity of Rodimus Prime's name.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Hot Rod literally has guns attached to his arms. He could have shot the gun Megatron was reaching for.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, the original G1 comic adaptation of the movie (possibly based off a different version of the script, in this case the Decepticons landed the shuttle outside the city) had Megatron doing the exact same thing, but this time there was no Hot Rod interference, Megatron just grabbed the gun and shot Optimus.

7.JPG

Optimus had plenty of time to shoot Megatron. Hot Rod or no Hot Rod, he choked, and paid for it.
What the hell kind of laser sound is "PAASSHH!"? Sounds like a deflating basketball. Howabout "ZZZARK!" or "VRRAPP!"? Hell, I'd even take "PEW!" over "PAASSHH!"

smh

I'd say their names already give them a leg up. Soundwave and (especially) Shockwave already sound powerful. Cliffjumper is benign in comparison. Then again, maybe they're named after their power level has been determined.

Hmm, are there any wuss-level Transformers with badass names?

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I don't think size matters at least.

There were numerous times in the series where teeny tiny Brawn took out Decepticons twice his size.

And Wheelie killed a Sweep by shooting him in the face.
Brauns bio written by Bob Budiansky who created most the bios for the G1 characters stated Braun was the second strongest Autobot behind only Prime

As far as how the Transformers are created there are multiple stories out there

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is great for a Transformers fan! If you do want to learn more about the characters and mythos I highly suggest Chris McFeely "The Basics" series

www.youtube.com

Chris McFeely

Great stuff

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that scene where Megatron and party absolutely murder all my favorite autobots on the ship...

That fucked me up first and THEN they kill off the GOAT right after.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Brauns bio written by Bob Budiansky who created most the bios for the G1 characters stated Braun was the second strongest Autobot behind only Prime

As far as how the Transformers are created there are multiple stories out there
Braun dies the easiest of any not in the movie though.

It's been forever since I've seen season 1 and 2 of G1, but wasn't he only strong in like actual lifting strength?