• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
If it has to be in America, I vote Boston. Story could be based around Irish and Italian gangs.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's gonna be Vice City for sure, though something new would be nice, it seems Rockstar cycle through the big 3, LA, NYC & Miami.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Gaijin Terror Association for a GTA game set in Japan where you're a group of foreign thugs ruining social cohesion.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
all of the ideas in this thread are awful, especially the ones suggesting Japan.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a template for you to use as you see fit:

I live in ________ so GTAVI should be set in _____.

Seriously I don't see the appeal of Texas personally. I guess it would depend on time period as well, time period is super important I think. That's why Vice City is so great, Miami in the 80s is iconic.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all realize that GTA outside of America wouldn't even make any sense, right? I mean unless of course it de-emphasized guns and focused on melee combat like Sleeping Dogs. The entire premise of GTA as it stands is pre-eminent on American Gun Culture™ and high crime-rates - Two very specifically American things.

I mean I guess there's plenty of spots in South America that have those traits going for them, but as far as I'm aware it's always seen as problematic to use those particular settings - Even Max Payne 3 got a bit of a bad rap over it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Houston would be an ugly ass city to play a game in. Sprawl and highways and strip malls with no zoning codes for miles. Yeah LA isn't exactly a beauty either but Houston would be worse.

lot of urban portions have a tacky exuberance that'd fit right in with GTA but it'd have to be done just right, like more along GTA4's realistic bent. GTA5's "parody LA" aesthetic definitely wouldn't carry over

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas would be a great location I think, and would give them a ton of material to riff on:

- The Gulf for some oil tanker hijinks + some environmentalism
- Big blue cities surrounded by deep red rural areas
- The border (and maybe a bit of Mexico?)
- Plenty of guns and cars
- Huge variety of landscapes and environments from the plains of the west to the forests of the east
- Multiple big well known cities with easy to skewer stereotypes

I say do it

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I think the Boston area + Rhode Island + Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire could be fun, but that might be considered too close to New York to bother with. Plus, outside of Boston, there probably would be much that would be recognizable.

LOL

But seriously, as much as I love NOLA, it's a bit limited and specific in scope, IMO, and NOLA is kind of a niche city compared to NYC and LA. NOLA is simply too small of a city for a huge GTA game, especially one that will probably be part of next gen. The surrounding areas are also too niche for a huge GTA game.

Yep, plus Mafia 3 was already set in NOLA. It'd be kind of redundant to have GTA6 go back there.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
i remember that (blatently fake) rumor GTA6 would be Houston and everybody let out the biggest collective groan ever. but with some creative liberties to jazz up the strip mall hell portions (or cut em out altogether) it's actually pretty ripe for a GTA setting. you have the gulf and rural regions to round everything out, all you're missing is verticality

in the 00's when the H town rap scene was poppin it could've been a thing but it'd be met with a resounding hell no now. GTA Texas in general, i could see them going there... some day.

San Andreas is basically a combination of Nevada and California. With the fictional Hollywood-esque Vinewood Hills.

I like the idea of a GTA to take place in a fictional Texas, but instead of JUST Texas why not another combined state comprised of a fictionalized Texas, New Mexico, and Louisiana.

One of the things GTA typically pushes is a satirical take on American culture and events be it politics or commercial branding. The current climate of these kind of events for this might be a bit too on the nose. I'm sure a Breaking Bad ellusion could be thrown about somewhere in there.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Would love for them to just do a new city. My fear if we get Vice City is that it'll just be a rotation of Liberty City, Vice City, and Los Santos every new generation we get.

I'd be cool with them exploring the Pacific Northwest or New Orleans/the south.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What about Canada. Everything is nice and beautiful. The people are reasonable...

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I just really want to go back to Vice City... I especially don't want to go anywhere with any sort of desert or arid climate.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Texas Wouldn't be half bad plus we could see some red dead mechanics come over and add to the madness of Gta (shit like horses and lassos)

A GTA not set In the US would be very odd and probably not work but I'd be interested to at least see what it would look like

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

ATL suffers the same problem as something like New Orleans: There's literally nothing else outside of it and the city isn't quite big enough. Seriously, there's nothing outside of a few low mountains that would be of any interest and it's too far away from the coast. At least NOLA would have the bayou areas.

For a game as massive as GTA you need a city that's correspondingly massive and that is recognizable to people outside of the region. If we're restricted to the US, Chicago and the Boston area are probably the only two areas big enough for GTA outside of the Big 3 areas done in the other games (NY, LA, Miami).

DC/Baltimore could also be an option I guess.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Needs more visual variety than what Texas offers I feel.

I don't know, I think they could make it work:

27c36998a228e57200479e725476bf3b.jpg

homestead-780767_1920-e1545160509635-1140x400_c.jpg

Dirty-Sixth-Street-Austin.jpg

Landscape-Rio%20Grand-Big-Bend-National-Park.jpg

r4.jpg

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think they can really do Vice City again. The whole point of that game was the mixture of the setting and the time period and they CAN'T just do "80s Miami" a second time.

Sure they can. A new generation of people to experience it that never played Vice City. Though I think they're going to miss the 80s nostalgia fever that's currently on it's way out.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
City that borders Mexico and America like RDR.

Bonus if protagonists are Mexican, Asian or women.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sure they can. A new generation of people to experience it that never played Vice City. Though I think they're going to miss the 80s nostalgia fever that's currently on it's way out.

Yeah. Combine that with the fact that unlike in the era when the original game came out, the current generation of young people who would be buying the game would have no context for the '80s and no understanding of its cultural memes. It would be an incredibly difficult tightrope to walk, and honestly it wouldn't really be worth it vs. actually telling a new story in a new city with new themes.

It doesn't have to be set in the 80s though.

If they're not going to use Vice City in the era where Miami was actually culturally relevant, they should just pick a city they haven't used before. Miami isn't that visually interesting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, I know!

Phoenix, Arizona!

YES?!?!

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
GTA: Nebraska. Can you infiltrate the Amish Mafia?

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
If they put it in Texas my city San Antonio would probably get left out . I would think they would do something like Florida so they can recreate vice city.