• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Eh? Do we have a miscommunication here or what? Why are you digressing with all that stuff that I never disputed, or provided my opinion on, as a response to a question I asked as a follow up to a discussion?

It wasn't meant as an argument against you. I was merely providing other examples.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I have worked with quite a few projects in migrating applications to the cloud platforms (not just AWS). There are significant bandwidth and storage charges when you start talking scale, it's certainly not free.

Yup, shit's real expensive and I only have insight into the security side of things.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure on 30% and it's hard to pick an exact % unless you see the numbers break down but yeah, I think it's fair. Probably could be a tad lower as I'm sure they're all making a hefty profit off that but I'm not seeing a lot of issue with 30%

They processes those refund for the end users (Steam has a refund feature that the console digital stores lack)
Xbox has digital refunds. But I think they're automatic if within the restrictions (same ones as steam I believe), outside of it you need to ask customer support and hope they honour it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
We don't have enough data to judge but I assume it's fair since it has become an industry standard.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure on 30% and it's hard to pick an exact % unless you see the numbers break down but yeah, I think it's fair. Probably could be a tad lower as I'm sure they're all making a hefty profit off that but I'm not seeing a lot of issue with 30%

Xbox has digital refunds. But I think they're automatic if within the restrictions (same ones as steam I believe), outside of it you need to ask customer support and hope they honour it.

Steam's refund isn't fully automated as far as I know. You can still get a refund if you are (slightly) outside the restrictions

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Digital storefronts need a cut to keep their service up.

Of course in an ideal world devs/publishers would get 100% but it's impossible (as of now).

With that said I think the 30% cut is steep. I've always though 20-25% would be better.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They should charge whatever they think will make them the most money. Capitalism!

That said, I find myself spending way more money on steam these days. I won't buy Indies on Switch anymore due to price and the fact that the purchase is tied to the finite life of the hardware platform. Also, not all platform holders are doing so great so maybe they should think a little outside the box on pricing. If everyone just does 30% then is basically fosters a winner take all mentality.

As a consumer I get annoyed when I see digital and physical price being the same. A physical game is just worth so much more because you can trade it and sell it back. Digital convenience isn't worth that.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
At least we all now agreed that Valve is not the only company charging 30% fee for selling video games.

They processes those refund for the end users (Steam has a refund feature that the console digital stores lack)
Not only refunds, there are actually people who process enquiries. Here's my recent ticket:

OfBDn1d.png

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
30% is an okay cut, less would be better though, but it's understandable considering the audience/reach you get.
Bandwidth costs have gotta be huge for modern games (50gb+)

PC has plenty of alternative marketplaces where devs can make custom deals, or stuff like Itch.io which have developer defined cuts, or just host the game on their website. There's absolutely no need to actually go to steam if the CUT is undesirable.