Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
And there are many parents, spouses, and siblings whose loved ones are dead at the hands of police. As long as the policing system is racist and corrupt, any good that is done by them is an outlier, not the rule.

Only if you want to skew the theoretical metric that way. You will never know how much violence would occur to all people (esp that of minority status) without police presence and the criminal justice system. Likewise, you don't know how much violence is prevented by police institutions, because the meer existence of them is a deterrent. Your position is based on feeling, not actual facts (quick edit, I don't mean to diminish whatever violence oyu may have witnessed or have happened to you that create these feelings, but perception is not the same as reality, and feelings can't be used as fact as the GOP proves time and time again). Policing will never be perfect, but that doesn't invalidate the function they serve. I know people who have been killed by police too, and I have friends who have been the victims of racist profiling of police too. Just because the net positive from policing isn't as high as it should be, doesn't mean the system is worthless. It means addressing the issues with it and correcting the flaws in it as best we can, and that certainly means holding police to a much higher standard than we do now.

The numbers that do exist however, don't lie though. Statistically the majority of police officers never even fire their weapon. The majority do not kill people. the majority are not investigated for even accused for crimes or abuse of their power. So in reality, the bad cops are the outliers, not the norm. The numbers are likely skewed a bit for obvious reasons which I don't think I have to get into in favor of the cops, I will agree with that but it still doesn't support your assessment that they "are worthless" and do "more harm than good".

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
P93WDsy.png
When did Pikachu break into a GOP office?

Also thank you for the thread title change mods

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
We can't stoop to their level. We can't give them fuel to motivate their base into doing worse things and having "both sides" arguments with validity. We have to rise above or we're no better. This could be a false flag due to the circumstance, but this is Florida, so who the hell knows. It could be a random Florida Man shooting shit just cuz. Thankfully nobody was hurt either way.

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Your position is based on feeling, not actual facts.
It isn't a fact that police are killing innocent minorities in the streets? That they are complicit in a racist system?
Policing will never be perfect, but that doesn't invalidate the function they serve.
I disagree. Injustice and racism being baked into the system invalidates the system.
The numbers don't lie though, statistically the majority of police officers never even fire their weapon. The majority do not kill people. the majority are not investigated for even accused for crimes or abuse of their power. So in reality, the bad cops are the outliers, not the norm. The numbers are likely skewed a bit for obvious reasons which I don't think I have to get into in favor of the cops, I will agree with that but it still doesn't support your assessment that they "are worthless" and do "more harm than good".
Good for the that they never fire their weapon, there are other ways to hurt people too, like arresting people (primarily minorities) for non-violent offenses and not speaking out when a fellow officer makes a racist joke or observation or allows racial bias into the system. Where are all the stories of cops standing up against racism or making anything more than a token effort to combat it? They don't give a shit.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a fact that police are killing innocent minorities in the streets? That they are complicit in a racist system?

I disagree. Injustice and racism being baked into the system invalidates the system.

Good for the that they never fire their weapon, there are other ways to hurt people too, like arresting people (primarily minorities) for non-violent offenses and not speaking out when a fellow officer makes a racist joke or observation or allows racial bias into the system. Where are all the stories of cops standing up against racism or making anything more than a token effort to combat it? They don't give a shit.

One fact doesn't invalidate the other. The service police serve keeps many people safe, and keeps crime in check while also producing the death of innocent people primarily of minority status. This doesn't mean that because they do some good the bad should be ignored. It doesn't mean that because policing can sometimes do bad things, that the good things they do are negated by it. It's much more complicated than that and trying to water it down to good guys vs bad guys is not going to lead to changes that will fix or reduce the problems over time.

Injustice and racism in police systems isn't something I'll say in ingrained, but it certainly has infected it. Your point is self defeating because you can't declare racist actions the problem, and then say the problem is policing. The effect that racism in this country has had on peoples socio-economic class and the locations they live in is an undeniable fact, as is how that impacts policing. Policing runs effectively in white neighborhoods far more than that of people of color. That proves the system works, but currently most effectively for those people. It be great if "to protect and serve" worked as well for people of color in this country as it does white people. The goal should be to make it be, not to throw the entire system out as ineffective because it certainly is effective in some areas.

As far as why you don't hear stories about police officers calling each other out on racism and other malpractice in policing, the situation is not as simple as "well they all hate black people". There are consequences in police departments as in any job when you create conflict, even when you are in the right. How many stories have we heard over the past year or 2 of sexual harassment in the workplace, and why both men and women alike are afraid to speak out on it. The police do not have the exact same issues, but the structure of the organization makes it very difficult for officers to hold each other accountable. This is the shit that needs to be fixed, fix the problems with policing so it can do what it does for half the country to the other half. The infection is deep though, and I don't see any way it can be immediately fixed without gutting the positive influences they have for the people not getting the shit end of the stick. John Oliver has a good segment about 7 minutes in that talks about the problems officers face when speaking out against other officers.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The firing of four shots into an empty building WILL get far more air time and attention on Fox News than the mailing of bombs and the killing of close to fifteen people by right wing extremists this last week. I guarantee it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So will the GOP actually do shit about this? Doubtful.
a damn republican congressman nearly died. They dont give a damn until some crazy holds them hostage in the capital and have guns to their head and maybe then might say well maybe this has gone too far. The level of empathy is so low its ridiculous.

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
One fact doesn't invalidate the other. The service police serve keeps many people safe, and keeps crime in check while also producing the death of innocent people primarily of minority status. This doesn't mean that because they do some good the bad should be ignored. It doesn't mean that because policing can sometimes do bad things, that the good things they do are negated by it. It's much more complicated than that and trying to water it down to good guys vs bad guys is not going to lead to changes that will fix or reduce the problems over time.
Watering it down to good guys and bad guys will help us expose the bad guys and get rid of them, which we need to do to progress. Reform has been a long time coming, there's no more time for shades of grey, that isn't when progress happens.
Injustice and racism in police systems isn't something I'll say in ingrained, but it certainly has infected it.
Policing literally started to bring back runaway slaves.
Your point is self defeating because you can't declare racist actions the problem, and then say the problem is policing.
Why not when they are both a problem?
The effect that racism in this country has had on peoples socio-economic class and the locations they live in is an undeniable fact, as is how that impacts policing. Policing runs effectively in white neighborhoods far more than that of people of color. That proves the system works, but currently most effectively for those people.
That just proves the system works for one group of people and not all, meaning the system is broken
It be great if "to protect and serve" worked as well for people of color in this country as it does white people. The goal should be to make it be, not to throw the entire system out as ineffective because it certainly is effective in some areas.

The system needs to be reformed and reexamined from the ground up. Maybe some elements will stay, maybe they won't.
As far as why you don't hear stories about police officers calling each other out on racism and other malpractice in policing, the situation is not as simple as "well they all hate black people".
Then they are fine operating as the arms of a system that does, and they are fine with their colleagues and superiors feeling that way.
There are consequences in police departments as in any job when you create conflict, even when you are in the right. How many stories have we heard over the past year or 2 of sexual harassment in the workplace, and why both men and women alike are afraid to speak out on it. The police do not have the exact same issues
Yeah, no, cops not speaking up against racists and corruption is not anything like people (predominantly women) suffering sexual harassment. Nobody asks to be sexually harassed, cops choose to be cops, so I'm not crying a single tear for them.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sure the GOP shot up their own building.

/s
Seen way too many instances of this lately by members of the GOP claiming X of dems, then having done it themselves. If someone was really trying to shoot someone apart of the GOP, why would they do it on the weekend when no one was there?

Like, I HATE sounding like a crazy conspiracy person... but I bet the cops won't find any of the surveilance tapes... they'll have mysteriously vanished.