• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is absolute bullshit, but par for the course for America crony capitalism. Many small businesses still haven't received their funds.

www.wsj.com

Ruth’s Chris Steak House Gets $20 Million From Coronavirus Aid Program

The high-end dining chain is among the first public companies to disclose it has received a government-backed loan to support payroll, days after the $350 billion program to aid small businesses started taking applications.

Paywalled, but the meat is below.

The owner of the high-end Ruth's Chris Steak House chain is among the first public companies to disclose it has received a government-backed loan to keep people on its payroll.

Ruth's Hospitality Group Inc., a company with more than 5,000 workers, received $20 million in forgivable loans on April 7, according to a securities filing. That is four days after the Small Business Administration opened the application window on its $350 billion Payroll Protection Program.

Many small-business owners are still waiting for their banks to process an application or hear back about whether they qualify or will receive financial assistance from the PPP fund. The SBA says 1.1 million applications have been approved for loans worth $263 billion as of Tuesday afternoon. The average loan size is about $239,000 so far, the SBA says. Banks say only small portions of approved loans have been disbursed to businesses.

Here's the kicker:
The loans were intended for businesses with fewer than 500 employees, but language in the $2 trillion stimulus bill allows restaurants and hotel chains to participate regardless of how many people they employ.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Ruth Steakhouse advertises on the Hannity radio show. I know because my dad and I would listen from time to time for comedic reasons.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
What are the conditions on these loans for forgiveness? Just curious, would help me decide if I'm slightly outraged or really outraged.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously hotel chains are exempt from the restrictions. The level of corruption in the US government is absolutely ridiculous.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Meanwhile no actual small businesses in my town are getting shit.
It's almost like relying on the banks to execute it was a terrible idea.

www.americanbanker.com

Wells Fargo tells business clients to consider other banks for emergency loans

Just days after the Fed lifted Wells Fargo's asset cap so it could make more Paycheck Protection Program loans, it warned customers its queue is long and they may want to go elsewhere before program funds are exhausted.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
What are the conditions on these loans for forgiveness? Just curious, would help me decide if I'm slightly outraged or really outraged.
Well, the big issue is that these huge corporations, that can leverage their assets, or use other funding, are taking from a fund small meant for small businesses

It's fundamentally unfair.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the big issue is that these huge corporations, that can leverage their assets, or use other funding, are taking from small businesses.

It's fundamentally unfair.

Hence the slightly outraged or really outraged. Either way I agree it's really dumb; just want to be informed of the conditions these loans are given out in.

Maintain your payroll until I believe it was the end of July. Prove that the loan went to payroll or OPEX like rent.

Thank you, if it keeps people employed, directly or in-directly to Ruth's, that would have other-wised been furloughed or out of work I'm only slightly outraged.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
The grift is strong in America and to think $1mil of that could have saved a small business from going bankrupt.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Hence the slightly outraged or really outraged. Either way I agree it's really dumb; just want to be informed of the conditions these loans are given out in.

Thank you, if it keeps people employed, directly or in-directly to Ruth's, that would have other-wised been furloughed or out of work I'm only slightly outraged.
Ruth will survive regardless. Many small businesses will be forced to die.

If your argument is more stimulus, I have no issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Those percentages would likely line up with actual small businesses.

I'm sure there would have been a lot more larger businesses in California trying to exploit it over Ohio.

The kicker here is many of the states with the most approved loans have little to no stay at home orders. Why did each of the Dakotas get the same amount of loans as tourist-dependent Nevada?

Oklahoma has no stay at home order but they're a top 10 recipient

Oct 26, 2017
That's ridiculous. I'm not looking forward to talking with all our applicant's who's loan applications didn't even get looked at. Yesterday was rough and today will be even nuttier.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Those percentages would likely line up with actual small businesses.

I'm sure there would have been a lot more larger businesses in California trying to exploit it over Ohio.

Not just that but the sheer volume of businesses requesting assistance.

24% in California is probably a whole lot more than 71% in North Dakota. So is it a bureaucracy limitation issue? How many businesses in each state requested loans? Was it a case where if they did 100% of California then there wouldn't be any money left for other states?

The numbers are in the Forbes chart in that Twitter link

Of course I just checked the twitter comments instead of clicking through.

Yeah 54,000 for California and 18,000 for Nebraska is definitely fishy.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
In times like these we desperately need our overpriced steak houses.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The kicker here is many of the states with the most approved loans have little to no stay at home orders. Why did the each of the Dakotas get the same amount of loans as tourist-dependent Nevada?

Oklahoma has no stay at home order but they're a top 10 recipient
Oh I'm not defending it, I'm just saying the numbers are a little understandable. As a portion of the of the economy, SMB's would dominate everywhere but the coastal states, those numbers seem to reflect that.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Again, this is literally how corporations are required to operate. Their entire legal existence is designed to maximize profitability for shareholders. Nothing else.

Expecting a corporation to be anything other than greedy is like getting mad at your light switch for not making you an omelette in the morning.

The system itself is fundamentally evil and needs to be destroyed and rebuilt to be more equitable and fair.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That name still throws me for a loop. It messes with logic.

"Ruth's Chris Steak House" - it's a Chris Steak House owned by Ruth? Is Chris the son of Ruth and this is Chris's Steak House?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Again, this is literally how corporations are required to operate. Their entire legal existence is designed to maximize profitability for shareholders. Nothing else.

Expecting a corporation to be anything other than greedy is like getting mad at your light switch for not making you an omelette in the morning.

The system itself is fundamentally evil and needs to be destroyed and rebuilt to be more equitable and fair.
I'm not blaming Ruth Chris. I'm blaming our government for allowing these loopholes.

If they wanted to create a separate fund for big boy companies, I'd have no issues.

But they created this fund for small business, they put a big exception for huge companies. So of course, a good amount of the funds would go to these companies. They have way more resources and staff to handle these applications much more swiftly, on top of political connections.

Compare that to a 4 person business that has an owner that is completely overwhelmed and trying to keep their business afloat.

Oct 27, 2017
If Trump is trying to buy votes he is doing a really bad job by giving money to the states he is going to win.

Florida and Pennsylvania were both less than 50%.

I don't think it's vote buying, I think it's lobbyist groups that have FEMA contacts that pushed their clients' interests to the front of the line knowing the fund would be depleted almost immediately.

Oct 27, 2017
Look at SBA rules for the fund. If you're a franchise you're considered Small-Medium if you have less than 500 employees and $15 mil profits PER LOCATION.

It's a joke

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really blame them for taking advantage of a loophole to pay employees. I can blame the administration for writing such broad terms and not funding it correctly.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Meanwhile no actual small businesses in my town are getting shit.

No small businesses are getting anything anywhere...Sad but true, we the people got fleeced again.

If there is a loophole for restaurants or hospitality, I wonder how much the Trump resorts have received.

How many different resorts/restaurants are in the Trump holdings? Let's not do the math, it's safer to assume they all got the maximum amount of money.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That name still throws me for a loop. It messes with logic.

"Ruth's Chris Steak House" - it's a Chris Steak House owned by Ruth? Is Chris the son of Ruth and this is Chris's Steak House?
Maybe there were two people named Chris growing up very close to one another, and to differentiate them, one of them was just called "Ruth's Chris" so people know who they were talking about.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Overpriced garbage steak place gets bailed out while my locally owned steakhouse (which serves much better Prime Rib and steak for way cheaper) is in financial trouble.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Look at SBA rules for the fund. If you're a franchise you're considered Small-Medium if you have less than 500 employees and $15 mil profits PER LOCATION.

It's a joke

The whole thing is kind of weird to me.

I'm mostly used to seeing these kinds of requests for the SBA:

7a loans go up to like $5 million dollars (which is a silly amount of money for most mom and pop type businesses) and they'll often deny it if you can get traditional financing instead.

If these loans were going to the franchisees directly then that would make way more sense since that's fairly common with the SBA. However, the article suggests it's the parent company getting the loan.

Oct 27, 2017
How they got around maximum loan of 10M though?

• If you are in the accommodation and food services sector (NAICS 72), the 500-employee rule is applied on a per physical location basis
  • If you are operating as a franchise or receive financial assistance from an approved Small Business Investment Company the normal affiliation rules do not apply

www.uschamberfoundation.org

Coronavirus Emergency Loans Guide and Checklist for Small Businesses and Nonprofits

The CARES Act allocated $350 billion to help small businesses and nonprofits keep workers employed amid the pandemic and economic downturn. The administration soon will release more details including the list of lenders offering loans under the program. In the meantime, the U.S. Chamber of...