• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
I played Zelda - 4 Swords with my nieces and managed to make one of them cry by bombing the shit out of her to kill her and steal all her Force Gems. You know, the things that are completely pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes i lie awake at night and remember that fact and realise i am a horrible human being.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having the most stars at the end of a game of Mario Party and still losing because all the bonus stars went to someone else.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Repeated throws or spamming a single move will get people heated in fighting games. If it works so well, why wouldn't you use it though, right?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
For my house it was using Eddie Gordo in any Tekken game. As kids we just could not figure out how on Earth to counter his flailing legs so it became 'cheap' to use him.

A more recent one was being betrayed by my best friend three feet from the flag in Halo MCC after an epic run on CTF, which he then scored. Irrevocable damage was done to the trust in our relationship.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Madden 05, I watched my friends that are brothers throw hands over it from taunting. Fun times.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Throwing in fighting games. The fact this came back to being a thing with SF4 baffled me, felt like goddamned 1992 all over again.

Cp7af2AXEAEvGwh.jpg
I actually still have this somewhere in a box. I used it a lot because it was comfortable (and I took care of it).

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Throwing in fighting games. The fact this came back to being a thing with SF4 baffled me, felt like goddamned 1992 all over again.

I actually still have this somewhere in a box. I used it a lot because it was comfortable (and I took care of it).
I had a joystick that could go to the Genesis or SNES, best controller i ever owned

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I had a joystick that could go to the Genesis or SNES, best controller i ever owned
I think that might have been the Capcom Fighting Stick? It had angled buttons a(it was all Seimitsu, apparently!) and you could swap the cable. That may have just been SNES or NES, but there was likely a version with the Genesis, too.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
This thread reminds of the ol' adage, "Multiplayer games are only as fun as the people you play it with."

No oddjob in slappers only. ffs.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My brother and I used to whoop the shit out of each other when the other stole a star in Mario Party. I can't even tell you how many times I used to give him a kick to the gonads and run away to hide before he could get me and retaliate.
When you try and jump over a gap in New Super Mario Bros and someone else bounces off your head, forcing you down into the pit.

Every time.
I lost a good friend and a Wii remote over this shit. It's the kind of betrayal that can never be forgiven.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rainbow Six 3 on XBOX. The 50 cal was so overpowered that it was an unwritten rule among the community not to use it online. Anyone who did was treated as if they were cheating.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In guilty gear,

Dust

Cancel dust into sweep

Dust

Mix it up every now and then. Has never failed to get my little brother salt lmao

when you have to rub it in, Cancel dust into an ANOTHER Dust so he gets hit when he's expecting the sweep

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Streets Of Rage - Accidently grabbing and throwing your buddy. Or eating the food.

Perfect Dark N64 - When you bottleneck a room against Dark Sims and your friend decides to reload as the bots are rushing in

Timesplitters Future Perfect - Virus mode. When you are trying to avoid being infected and your friend is hiding in a spot just waiting for you to appear.

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
In a fighting game if you ever throw, use a projectile, block, meaty, perform a combo more than 3 hits, or use the same move twice in a row someone will call you cheap, and that isn't even getting into game or character specific mechanics. God forbid someone plays jack-o in guilty gear. None of my actual friends are this scrubby, but there been plenty of salty messages from randoms online

DualEdge

Jun 11, 2018
Stealing food in Gauntlet games comes to mind but I love that the game starts to call that person greedy after a while.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Both the Wii U Yoshi game and the Switch Yoshi game are fights waiting to happen.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Apparently for most people lt's losing

Can't handle the idea that they aren't owed a 100% win rate

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Tagging in your friend into the match in Marvel Vs. Capcom when they weren't paying attention. SORRY!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any fighting game where it gets to the point the players start spamming the same move over and over. Throws were especially anger-inducing.

Mario Kart when your skills are respectable but luck constantly screws you over, even when you're in the back.

Mario Party and Chance Time.

Fun times!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember there was a bitchy thing you could do to each other in Four Swords but I can't quite recall the specifics. I just remember rage between friends lol

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Mario Party...end of story.

Also, throwing people in pits in any of The Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords games.

derk

Dec 20, 2019
A friend and I used to 1v1 each other in Halo CE (Hang 'Em High still rules) before online was a thing. We would always agree not to use the rocket launcher. One time I used it anyways and he didn't speak to me for a week.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
When your friend is losing 3x0 and starts trying to dribble with the goalkeeper as well doing sliding tackles in every play.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Don't even remember if this was a mod or part of the base game:
Quake 2 multiplayer had a character model that went up to other characters' knees but moved just as fast and had a smaller hit box.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Any loot game that forces players to share/split loot. Loot is bad, but things like ammo and health pickups are even worse. Make that shit instanced, and suddenly make your game 10X more fun.

Jul 20, 2020
Camping in COD...why buy the game if you're going to sit in a corner for 80% of the match, go 0.75 kdr, not get better and ruin other peoples fun?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing this old PC game F29 Retaliator via modem. If you blew the other player up, they were grounded and had to take off again to fight you... only problem is that if you knew where their base was, you could just continue killing them on the ground before they ever got airborne again. Infuriating, to say the least, and as a teenager at the time, it was hard to resist pissing others off with that... unless the tables were turned, and then it wasn't funny anymore. LOL

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
When you're playing a beat em up with a friend and are about to go into a boss fight only to realize you have low health. But luckily you see a health pack in the corner. Before you reach it your friend who is at nearly full health takes it, turns around and says "Sorry, it was an accident".

Fuck you.