• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speaks to Nintendo's traditionally insular nature.

Good thing that the younger people are the ones actually in charge of development now. BOTW isn't something that happens in a bubble.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dude is 68 ofcourse I don't see him playing god of war 2018 or the last of us part 2 or the latest indie darling

Pokemon go seems like the perfect game for the elderly at that age too since it can be such a social experience

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is very typical, probably not for everyone but I have had a similar feeling. The more I started getting into game development the more I started comparing what I can do to what others are doing. AAA games are still on a level where it doesn't intersect with anything I think I'm able to, but in smaller "indie games" I can no longer play them without finding a comparison of what the people behind it are like and what they can accomplish.

I understand that kind of jealousy. And I perfectly understand why some game designers entirely stop playing video games once their life becomes making them.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
He needs to be more humble. Always ignoring others' contributions to this industry makes him look like a tool.

Lol how is being honest about the fact he hasn't played and enjoyed many games he hasn't made being a tool? Dude prolly spends 50+ hours a week surrounded by video games, it's understandable that he has a hard time enjoying them in his spare time.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Miyamoto: makes games to capture the feeling of exploring a real world space
Pokemon go: just makes a game about actually exploring actual real world spaces
Miyamoto: surprised pikachu

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I think he was once asked if he got the Super Mario Galaxy gravity mechanic from Ratchet and Clank. He said he had no idea what that was. I thought it was shade being thrown but may be legit

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The irony is that all the people shitting on Pokemon Go have probably never played it beyond the first month lol

Oct 27, 2017
didnt I heard about Miyamoto love with Minecraft and Portal or something like that while ago?

I do recall that one:

https://www.engadget.com/2008/10/30/miyamoto-portal-a-triumph-mario-galaxy-conservative-in-ways/
He may not be intimately familiar with Ratchet and Whatshisface, but at least revered game designer Shigeru Miyamoto has had the pleasure of tumbling through dimensional shortcuts and outsmarting acerbic computers. In an interesting chat with MTV Multiplayer's Stephen Totilo, Miyamoto admits that he, like most rational human beings, thought Portal was "an amazing game."

Games that go without the "amazing" label? The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which the Mario maker describes as "not a bad game, by any means," but one that felt "like there was something missing." And while Miyamoto submits that Super Mario Galaxy did "some things that were very new and were very unique," he ultimately feels that some elements seemed "somewhat conservative."

Some links that may be of interest, on the DKC stuff: one / two / three / four.

It was just some dumb rumors. There's a reason why he was overseeing basically almost all their Nintendo games.
Also he famously said that they made a better 3D platformer than Mario 64 with Banjo Kazooie.
What you think of, him not liking Rare, comes from the dumbest rumor : him saying "this is what happens when you do a good looking game but that isn't fun to play : DK Country" while being on the promo tour of the game. Like he's going to trash the game he's promoting lmao
One poorly translated quote and the rest was mostly UK gaming magazines trying to sell copies at the time.

Rare to this day have a tree planted outside their offices that Miyamoto personally delivered to them after they made DKC because he was so impressed and inspired by their work on the franchise and later on N64 as a whole. They helped push him to be better in terms of visuals especially on Ocarina of Time.

Some quotes I've posted in other threads that I can paste here as well, if anyone is interested: "...Mr Yokoi [Game Boy creator] remarked that 'It looked too 3D'. Miyamoto was much quicker to appreciate what we had done and gave his approval..."

Retro Gamer
...Nintendo is known to be extremely shielding towards its IPs, so handing over one of its most iconic franchises is something that you'd expect would attract a tremendous amount of protocol and interference from the game giant, but [DKC's lead designer] Gregg [Mayles] says this wasn't the case. "Nintendo were extremely busy at the time so we were left to ourselves," he says. "It was an unprecedented thing for them to do, entrusting one of their most prominent and fondly remembered IP's with a relatively small and unknown UK development house... Miyamoto provided us with some suggestions for DK's look and it was a sketch of his that included the tie... "We made a memorable visit to Nintendo's HQ in Japan. I was surprisingly calm at the time, despite it being my first visit to what many would class as the Mecca of videogames," says Gregg. "We were there to demo an early version of the game to the people that created the original character. It was the first time many of the people at Nintendo had seen the game, and our radical approach with the graphics didn't initially go down too well. Mr Yokoi [Game Boy creator] remarked that 'It looked too 3D'. Miyamoto was much quicker to appreciate what we had done and gave his approval. Mr Miyamoto and his staff used their unparalleled experience to give us some input on how we could smooth out a few rough edges..."
IGN (June 1997)
IGN: What are your impressions of Banjo-Kazooie, and what was your involvement in the game?
Miyamoto: I'm very impressed with the game, and Rare is a very professional company. I had no involvement at all with the game.
Link
Official Nintendo Magazine (January 1998)
Miyamoto: ...The other extreme is Rare. Its games are similar to Nintendo's, but the quality is extremely high. Rare's been able to make Nintendo 64 games which are even better-looking than our own. It's scary! I've worked alongside members of Rare, and their standards are very high...

This one in particular:

Famitsu Magazine (April 1998)
Famitsu: Banjo-Kazooie the game is slated for a June release in the US but will not be released until the fall in Japan.
Miyamoto: This is one of the reasons Zelda got delayed. This game [Banjo-Kazooie] is so great and we have to compete.
Famitsu: Could you explain in concrete terms what makes the game [Banjo-Kazooie] great?
Miyamoto: I try not to see the game. (laughs) If I see it, I may be affected by it. Graphically and technically [Banjo-Kazooie] achieves high levels. It played fine last fall, but wasn't released. (laugh) They've developed it more. If you want to enjoy a 3D action title, this may be the best choice. If we have the momentum (in Japan), this will be dominant in the market.
Famitsu: Can we write that you were "affected" by this one?
Miyamoto: Sure, you can. We and Rare are rivals. I'm not sure this character design will be accepted (by the Japanese audience), but this is fun.

That comment from Miyamoto ("...I try not to see the game [Banjo-Kazooie]. (laughs) If I see it, I may be affected by it...") does remind me me of what Kojima said about Vagrant Story, incidentally, since Kojima has been mentioned.

Also:

IGN (January 1999)
IGN: What did you think of Rare's Banjo-Kazooie?
Miyamoto: Yes, I admit that Banjo-Kazooie is a very high quality videogame. Talking about the 3D system, for example, it had a lot better 3D system than Mario 64 -- and they have come up with some great technology. For example, they have lots of enemies at the same time on screen.
Link
Nintendo Power Source (May 2000)
NPS: How do you feel about Nintendo's line-up at E3 2000, particulary Rare's great offerings?
Miyamoto: We are very thankful that Rare is creating such great games. Rare has done a lot for the gaming industry. All of Rare's games are 3D, but they all have very different gameplay. They are encouraging us to create a different genre of games that departs from 3D adventure gaming.
Official Nintendo Magazine (Sep 2003)
OFFICIAL NINTENDO MAGAZINE: We get the impression that Rare didn't work very closely with Nintendo to polish up its last few games, especially Starfox Adventures.
MIYAMOTO: Rare is a rather independent company and it has the capacity to work independently. In the case of the original DKC, because I was concerned about the outcome, I was checking and putting in comments myself, especially during the last few months. At the very beginning, my personal involvement was ten percent. This lessened as the sequels went on, but of course other people at Nintendo were always involved. The total involvement was always around ten per cent and this was mainly from my people.
ONM: Starfox Adventures just didn't feel like a Nintendo game; it didn't feel like you had your hands on it at all, much less than ten percent.
MIYAMOTO: Almost everything was done by Rare, except we specifically advised the use of the control stick.
ONM: You didn't tell them, for example, to get rid of the 100 or 200 stupid things you had to collect in every single level?
MIYAMOTO: [laughs] That was a little bit extreme, yes. But, in general, they were good. I'd like to emphasize that our separation from Rare [in 2002, Rare was purchased by Microsoft] wasn't due to creative differences. It was financial.
Nintendo Life (Dec 2012)
Phil Tossell: "...We had an initial trip to Nintendo's headquarters in Kyoto for about a week [probably in early 2001] where we discussed the changes that would be required to make the game fit in well with the Star Fox universe. Sitting in a room discussing gameplay ideas with Miyamoto-san is certainly one of the highlights of my career and I still have his business card carefully stored away. I also remember going to an Italian restaurant for lunch near to the offices with Miyamoto-san and talking about all sorts of things. I'm not one to get starstruck, but that's probably the one time in my life where I felt a little bit overawed..."
www.nintendolife.com

The Making Of: Star Fox Adventures, The Game That Was Once Dinosaur Planet

The maligned GameCube title is now 20 years old
Retro Gamer (Dec 2013)
Phil Tossell: "...We did see an early version of Zelda and that was a big influence on Dinosaur Planet, though. Nintendo were often quite envious of us. I got the feeling they thought our games were technically and artistically superior to theirs. Miyamoto would visit regularly and I heard a rumor they redid all of the textures on Zelda after they'd seen our work on Banjo-Kazooie because our game looked better!"
nintendoeverything.com

"Nintendo were often quite envious of us", says former Rare staffer

Back in the day, Rare was one of Nintendo’s top studios. The company really came into its own during the N64 era. Rare ended up creating Banjo-Kazooie, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, GoldenEye 007, and plenty of other prominent titles. Perhaps it was due to Rare’s success that Nintendo was a bit jealous...

"I heard a rumor they redid all of the textures on Zelda after they'd seen our work on Banjo-Kazooie because our game looked better!"

Yeah, Miyamoto actually said as much explicitly to Famitsu, in the April 1998 interview pasted above.

Nov 1, 2017
The notion that Miyamoto is some all respected infallible being when it comes to discussion here is crazy. In this particular statement he's not saying anything outlandish, there's nothing to get worked up over. Contrast that with threads where he shared his thoughts on the direction that Paper Mario should go and you'll see people are more than ready to call him out.

Jan 3, 2019
I refuse to believes he's not secretly a fan of the Vita XD
large.jpg

Then again he has a Switch so he probably replaced it like everyone else T_T
"Call R&D, I know what we're making next"

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a quote that go around, but nobody has managed to track the source. I once looked for the alleged interview, but it wasn't there in the magazine it was reportedly in.
There's at least one firsthand source that was posted in this thread.

No I recall Steven L. Kent saying he interviewed someone from Rare and Miyamoto in the same room. I'll try to dig it up. Think it was G4 Icons.

EDIT: FUCKING FOUND IT! First hand account from kent. Timestamp 13:57! Bless my useless memory!

Also, the story Chris Kohler once said about Miyamoto walking over during a New Super Mario Bros Wii demo and killing his character and walking away after he asked Miyamoto about his family life (a big no-no) lead me to think dude can be pretty petty. That I can't find a link to though. Think it was a 1-UP era podcast.

"Donkey Kong Country sells more than 8 million copies, setting a record for the best-selling 16-bit game of all time. But despite the title's commercial success, some people are critical."

Peer Schenider (IGN): "It's the epitome of bad game design. You're asked to collect all these different things that really don't do anything for the player. '5000 bananas, yay, what does it get me?' Nothing. It's just to keep you occupied, make you walk through the same levels again."

Steven L. Kent (videogame journalist/author): "I did an interview where I had Tim Stamper, the creator of Donkey Kong Country, and Shigeru Miyamoto at the same time. And Miyamoto was ruthless. Miyamoto said things like 'Donkey Kong Country proves that Americans will buy a game with mediocre gameplay as long as the graphics are excellent.'"

Peer Schneider: "It was boring. Yet, the game garnered reviews in the 9's everywhere, and people bought it. It's baffling."

Steven L. Kent: "And Stamper, y'know just... the quintessential English gentleman, sat there and took it, even though the anger really wasn't meant to be at Stamper. Because Miyamoto carved his territory. He marked his area. He was letting people know that he was the greatest."

flak57

Oct 27, 2017
Steven L. Kent: "And Stamper, y'know just... the quintessential English gentleman, sat there and took it, even though the anger really wasn't meant to be at Stamper. Because Miyamoto carved his territory. He marked his area. He was letting people know that he was the greatest."

That whole thing is such an obvious load of made up bs, lmao

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Ageism aside, as usual on this forum, I don't get some takes on this thread implying that Miyamoto has or hasn't played(certain) games made by other people when there isn't anything suggesting that, that he doesn't "usually" enjoy games by other people doesn't mean that nowadays he never plays games made by other people

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I think he enjoys games with simple controls and user interfaces, which are very easy to understand. Nintendo games in general are the easiest games to understand and to pick up and play in the console space.