• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Is that site well known in France?

I'd guess those who funded the Kickstarter simply wanted more Shenmue - the game they know and love - rather than Shenmue Reinvented.

The original Shemue got mixed reviews - I remember the Gamespot review well of course. It was never a series with mass appeal either critically or commercially, hence why we needed a Kickstarter to get a sequel all these years later.

I can't see there being any agenda here, it's not a big first party exclusive. Shenmue fans will tell it how it is.

That's not really true, it was met with largely widespread acclaim upon release. As was its sequel.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I know Shenmue is supposed to be like 16 parts long, but the phrase "read the room" really seems applicable here. Maybe if it took almost two decades to get a new game in the series off the ground, it might be worth adapting the original plan a little.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Is Shemue's whole deal supposed to be some sort of video game bildungsroman? ie, Ryo growing up over time and acquiring experience, cause the fact that this creator is so dedicated to telling a story of a huge number of chapters without compromise seems to suggest so.

Well, it starts as a revenge story, but yes, it's meant to act as Ryo growing up. The whole story was meant to be 16 chapters and the first two parts only covered the first six chapters. Personally, I think the story should be wrapped up in a hypothetical fourth game.

Oct 25, 2017
If you've not played Shenmue before, honestly it's probably best you stick to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, or any other decent modern title. This game feels like it's trolling modernity. It's ludicrously self-indulgent, constantly absurd, often beautiful, objectively awful and yet somehow wonderful. Personally I can't believe what I'm playing. Somehow Shenmue III is not only real, but it feels 100% authentic after all this time and against all the odds. I can't wait to see what happens next. Look out for the full verdict on Shenmue III later in the week. Should you buy it in the mean-time while it's full price? Fans should, newcomers should not. That's the truth of it.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Absolutely should have concluded the story in III. Better a rushed ending, than no ending.

Also, GameStop being brutal with the trade-in prices (mild shock):

Pokémon Sword (released 11/15): $35.00
Shenmue III (released 11/19): $20.00

Was gonna trade in my physical copy, since I have the Deluxe Digital... but not at twenty bucks. I'll just hang on (get it? hang-on?) to it instead.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
It's okay, the game can get a 0/10 I'll live. The first games were very criticized too. Nothing new here.
I remember in PlayStation board people mocking the low polygons on characters. The series was always a laughing stock for most.

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
All I care about is if Michael Huber loves it.
Same. I don't have much interest in the game myself; I didn't play the first two. I just want the fans who have waited so long to have a great experience. Really hoping Michael streams it. I'd love to see his reaction to it. Though it may be nicer if he just took the time to savor it alone and then responded with his thoughts later.

Oct 28, 2017
I do not enjoy Shenmue but I hope it's everything that the fans want. Pretty sure they've waited long enough.
I very much doubt a Shenmue 4 will ever release though.

Jun 12, 2018
Game is fun as hell once it opens up. Those who like story driven games and an immersive world with no hand holding, check it out.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's insane how this was one of the Big Three "megatons" at that one Sony E3.

How is it insane?
It was a 'probably never going to happen' dream game for fans. It happened. Now it's here.

I'm not a big Shenmue fan, but I'm really happy for those that have been waiting since the early/mid '00s.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I do not enjoy Shenmue but I hope it's everything that the fans want. Pretty sure they've waited long enough.
I very much doubt a Shenmue 4 will ever release though.

Ha, you know how long people liked to make fun of Shenmue fans and say "Shenmue 3 will never happen"?

If something Shenmue evokes is hope, and strength, and it will continue to do so.. Always.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Somebody on my Twitter says it feels like a 1:1 remake of a game that didn't exist. I can see that.

Also, complaining about it not finishing the story is really weird when Yu Suzuki said multiple times that Shenmue 3 would not finish the story.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
How does one even go about reviewing a game like Shenmue 3? You can either review it in a modern context (in which it'll score poorly because it won't hold up like Shenmue 1-2), or you can review it as "is this a worthy continuation from Shenmue 1-2" (which it sounds like it is for the fans). I have my kickstarter copy but I still need to play Shenmue 1-2 so it's on hold for now.
Absolutely should have concluded the story in III. Better a rushed ending, than no ending.

Also, GameStop being brutal with the trade-in prices (mild shock):

Pokémon Sword (released 11/15): $35.00
Shenmue III (released 11/19): $20.00

Was gonna trade in my physical copy, since I have the Deluxe Digital... but not at twenty bucks. I'll just hang on (get it? hang-on?) to it instead.

I actually think the opposite. If it's gonna be a rushed ending I would rather that it was released in another format, I remember Yu mentioning at some point that he had plans to do just that. Now that Yu is back in the game and he will receive some hopefully constructive criticism from Shenmue III he can hopefully use that to create a better fourth game that wraps the whole thing up. It's risky, but I rather that than a rushed ending.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't sound like a game worth playing, but maybe it's worth watching. Hey guys, any recommendations of playthrough of this series?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It takes a lot of hubris to finally get your shot at making one more Shenmue game and then deciding you want to roll the story out over future games. Good luck with that strategy.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
This is one game where reviews don't matter. You don't play Shenmue for its amazing controls, you play it for the unique flavor and character it brings. It's the same with something like Deadly Premonition; if you rate it purely on surface level, the game is borderline dreadful, with mediocre graphics, awkward controls and bad level-design, but the game is a genuine unique voice that is exclusively its own and it sings it proudly no matter what people think.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Shenmue 3 needs to be anything more than Shenmue 3. As long as fans of the original two games are largely happy and satisfied, it has accomplished its mission. It won't reach a broader audience, but a more modernized version wouldn't have either, because, well, it's Shenmue 3 after all.

"Not advancing the story much" doesn't sound good to me though. Who knows whether we'll get a Shenmue 4, after all. Let alone 5 or 6.

SupraDarky

Oct 29, 2017
Being a big fan of Shenmue, I think I understand what it must feel like to love pineapple on pizza and being constantly told it's not good.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It takes a lot of hubris to finally get your shot at making one more Shenmue game and then deciding you want to roll the story out over future games. Good luck with that strategy.
Sure, but if you're taking a world-trip and the money runs out after visiting 3 countries and you have to go back home, can it really be called a world-trip?

Being a big fan of Shenmue, I think I understand what it must feel like to love pineapple on pizza and being constantly told it's not good.
Lol, that's pretty good.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I mean he didn't decide that though after the Kickstarter. it was decided back in the Dreamcast (Saturn?) days. Rushing 2-3 games worth of content into a Kickstarter sequel would incredibly diminish the story.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yu has already condensed the story even going back to Shenmue 2. The original game was chapter 1, and the sequel had multiple chapters. He says he only needs 1-2 more games to conclude the story. There arent going to be 11 Shenmue games needed to tell the story lol.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Yu has already condensed the story even going back to Shenmue 2. The original game was chapter 1, and the sequel had multiple chapters. He says he only needs 1-2 more games to conclude the story. There arent going to be 11 Shenmue games needed to tell the story lol.
I suspect the publishing deals (Deep Silver/Epic Store) helped already secure funding for at least Shenmue 4.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
After playing 4-5 hours today, I disagree that the characters "look like dummies". They aren't particularly realistic-looking -- a stylistic choice -- but they're expressive and interesting and unique-looking. They look way better than I was expecting, given some of the pre-launch materials.

GamesRadar review-in progress:

''It's ludicrously self-indulgent, constantly absurd, often beautiful, objectively awful and yet somehow wonderful."
As self-indulgent as that flowery sentense? 8-)

I said this in the OT, but the whole "I love it, but it's shit! And you're gunna hate it!" thing is so weird. If you like it...maybe others will too (shock, horror)?! All this pretending to know what people will and won't like, in a medium that is inherently subjective, is such a waste of time. A review is but an opinion. Just because there's a score attached doesn't mean it's any more objective, or representative of the common gamer.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I find it strange that anyone would interpret Shenmue III as Yu's Last Chance, considering it came as the result of the most successful video game crowdfunding campaign yet.

Still hoping Sega publish the next one, though.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I mean he didn't decide that though after the Kickstarter. it was decided back in the Dreamcast (Saturn?) days. Rushing 2-3 games worth of content into a Kickstarter sequel would incredibly diminish the story.
So you wanted to clarify for me that the bad idea isn't a new idea?

Again, it takes a lot of Hubris for any creator to assume up front that they're going to get a handful of games or more to tell a story. Even if you think of such an idea in your head, you should never talk about it publicly because it makes you look like a pompous fool. You should be telling a great story now, with the game you're making, and if you're so lucky to get to make another you can then continue that story.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably not going to buy it, but would watch a Beast in the East playthrough of it any day.