• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Im really not interested in destroying Yu Suzuki, so I'm sitting this one out. I just think it's sad all around. But remember what the actual outcome of this will be. He will be a pariah and you will never see another Shenmue game.

This thread is getting really dark. I am almost certain he had nothing to do with this decision.
I do not know or care about what involvement Suzuki had with any of this, if he had any at all. I don't blame him personally.
I feel like Ys Net might not have had much say in the decision to go EGS exclusive. But they're still the ones who failed to deliver and aren't giving refunds.
I was not being entirely serious when I kneejerked that we should fight Shenmue to death.

I would very much prefer just getting my refund, or even more preferably, getting the Steam key I pledged towards. But Ys Net is being fuckos. So I'm certainly willing to look at whatever options are viable for forcing this company to give us our refunds. Currently, I have absolutely no idea what those options would be, and would prefer if the path of least resistance, as it were, was the most effective.

Last edited:

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Why are people so outraged by this? You're getting the same game, just via a different store. What does it matter if it's via Steam or via EGS? Is it just because those who have to pay for the game may have to pay more on EGS? So an outrage based on a slight extra cost to the game that the developers would benefit from? Surely gamers should want the developers to get more financial support and backing, especially when it's a tiny Kick-starter backed studio like YS Net, if Epic are paying them for exclusivity, and when you can play the same game all the same.

Please read the mod post.

Everyone see mod post before commenting.

Please.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
Why are people so outraged by this? You're getting the same game, just via a different store. What does it matter if it's via Steam or via EGS? Is it just because those who have to pay for the game may have to pay more on EGS? So an outrage based on a slight extra cost to the game that the developers would benefit from? Surely gamers should want the developers to get more financial support and backing, especially if Epic are paying them for exclusivity, and when you can play the same game all the same.

I agree for the most part. Steam has been namedropped a few times because it is typically the go-to PC storefront, but they promised the game for PC and it is still coming.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that fucking kills me reading this article is how they went through the whole laundry list of reasons for "Steam Fans" to hate the EGS, but completely skip over the 'paying for exclusives' one and what feels like a hostile takeover of highly wanted games, sometimes even at the last minute. Or not even a word of how pathetically barebones the client is in features.

Just another typical "the gamers are mad" article with a bit of sweet flavored sprinkling to hide the venom.
Or just incredibly lazy 'journalism'.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so outraged by this? You're getting the same game, just via a different store. What does it matter if it's via Steam or via EGS? Is it just because those who have to pay for the game may have to pay more on EGS? So an outrage based on a slight extra cost to the game that the developers would benefit from? Surely gamers should want the developers to get more financial support and backing, especially when it's a tiny Kick-starter backed studio like YS Net, if Epic are paying them for exclusivity, and when you can play the same game all the same.
For all the 'you're still getting a game folks', imagine this:

I tell you that I can cook you a meal for $15

You pay me $20 since you heard my food is delicious

I show you what I can cook

I even ask you what kind of special sauce you want with your food

You choose a steak meal with cheese and sauce.

Then I deliver a hot dog, which wasnt even on the menu.

Sure, I served you a meal. But that's not what I advertised nor what you expected.

You obviously tell me to refund your money.

I tell you nah fam enjoy your hotdog. Then I flip you the bird and kick your cat.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
I see some food analogies here already... it's like ordering non spicy food, yet they decided to serve you real spicy ones. Still the same edible thing, but with added spice. People on the fences will just say .. it's still the same damn food, it's not like they turned chicken into duck.

You ask for a refund or a change of the food, but the restaurant just ask you to shove them down your throat and enjoy it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, good for Suzuki.

He'd better hope he's got enough money for his next project to not need a Kickstarter, because he's sure as hell shot his credibility to shit as far as Crowdfunding goes.

Also Daily Reminder that Deep Silver is owned by the 8chan AMA guys.

Honestly that's what gets me most here is this is the line for most people not a subsidiary of Deep Silver consorting with a ring of known pedophiles.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be possible to just get a chargebank with your bank / Paypal?

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ya'll are high if you think you're getting shit from Kickstarter talking about fraud. That's not how they cook.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The staff post is very concise and straightforward. Might want to read it.

People that helped get the project off the ground aren't getting exactly what they were promised, period.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly that's what gets me most here is this is the line for most people not a subsidiary of Deep Silver consorting with a ring of known pedophiles.

I think for many of us we were content prior to this with the knowledge that our pledges had gone straight to Suzuki/Ys net, so Deep Silver/THQ Nordic weren't going to be making any money off of us. Had I not been a backer, I probably wouldn't have bought the game due to the THQ connection. And now I'm definitely never giving another cent to Suzuki since he's scammed me with this.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
My thinking was: the Kickstarter is basically the sales this is going to get. People are notoriously loss averse, and as they've seen in recent months; no steam is seen as a loss. They aren't moving a niche hardcore audience to their store, they are alienating the hardest of hard-core consumers of their product.

I would agree if this had been a newly announced game, perhaps even funded by epic.

Well there is a lot of backlash because people don't like EGS in the first place for a variety of reasons.

But speaking purely from a business perspective. Epic probably thought since people already backed it , they get an almost guaranteed amount of new users. And these are users who are willing to spend a lot of money and also a genre that isn't prevalent on EGS.

Epic need to make EGS a platform that is generally well-liked in the gaming community before pulling stuff like this. Otherwise it is just going to keep backfiring and everyone loses.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't want it through EGS. I want it through what was sold to me when I backed it.

And yes, if the kickstarter was live today and it said "No steam", I wouldn't have backed it.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many other industries are allowed to do this? Sell one thing under the guise of another without refund?

People are this angry over a launcher.
Inferring from your snide drive-by typed with absolutely minimal effort to discuss absolutely anything, I can understand how you wouldn't be able to comprehend the complexities of the situation.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
found your problem fam

he's not arguing in good faith. He goes into every EGS topic and posts and people have laid out to him over and over again their problems with the store and every time a new topic about the EGS pops up he acts like he hasn't heard any problems with the store at all. Example:

Don't waste your time explaining to nib95, he's just going to come back next week and be like "what's everyone's problem with EGS"?

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Never kickstart and crowdfund.
At least be an activist investor with some leverage.
Or use the stock market, where you have some actual rights.

Oct 26, 2017
Basically, can you still play it? Yes. Does it affect the quality of the game? No.
I mean you lose out on a lot of features when a game goes to the EGS instead of Steam. Cloud saves, forums, achievements, etc. Let's say you Kickstarted a car but at the last minute you find out you'd no longer get power steering, power windows, keyless entry, etc. "But you can still drive it!" We'll yeah, but it's not what I thought I was buying and I'm used to having that stuff.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Very disappointing decision. And further cements the precedent that games funded via Kickstarter are not beholden to their backers or obligated to fulfill and stick to the pretenses and promises made to secure said funding if something better comes along later. It's really killed the platform for me.

And I'm not sure why people are coming into this thread suggesting others are over-reacting when treating this with disdain. The whole Steam vs EGS debate is pretty irrelevant to this discussion. People chose to receive Steam keys when they pledged money, something which they are no longer receiving. I don't see how not receiving what you paid for is okay, no matter how apathetic or supportive you are of Epic in the PC space.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I don't like it because what if Epic decides a storefront isn't a feasible part of their business? Whereas Steam has been a storefront for 10+ years, and that is their main revenue source.

If Epic in two or three years decides they want out, what will happen to my game?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
But speaking purely from a business perspective. Epic probably thought since people already backed it , they get an almost guaranteed amount of new users. And these are users who are willing to spend a lot of money and also a genre that isn't prevalent on EGS.

What's weird is, you're probably right here, but take a step back (like they should've done):

The third part of a series, started decades ago, with the first two parts not currently on EGS. The first two parts also look a little janky, and third part... currently looks a little janky?

That's not a smart business move when you really think about it.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
ya'll are high if you think you're getting shit from Kickstarter talking about fraud. That's not how they cook.

I didn't back at a high tier or anything so I'm not really incensed enough to care about an actual refund. At this point for me it's more about making sure Ys Net and Suzuki are blacklisted from Kickstarter so they can never scam anyone again.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't like it because what if Epic decides a storefront isn't a feasible part of their business? Whereas Steam has been a storefront for 10+ years, and that is their main revenue source.

If Epic in two or three years decides they want out, what will happen to my game?

giphy.gif

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I just can't help but feel bad for Shenmue itself. And its fanbase.

Talk about a mess of an IP.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointing decision. And further cements the precedent that games funded via Kickstarter are not beholden to their backers or obligated to fulfill and stick to the pretenses and promises made to secure said funding if something better comes along later. It's really killed the platform for me.

And I'm not sure why people are coming into this thread suggesting others are over-reacting when treating this with disdain. The whole Steam vs EGS debate is pretty irrelevant to this discussion. People chose to receive Steam keys when they pledged money, something which they are no longer receiving. I don't see how not receiving what you paid for is okay, no matter how apathetic or supportive you are of Epic in the PC space.

And then they say no refunds lol. Didn't the Metro devs at least do refunds?

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I kickstarted Shenmue III to the tune of $500 and I absolutely refuse to play this game if it remains EGS exclusive, yes.

The damage is clearly done. I don't think they can do anything to calm the masses. Really unfortunate. It fucking sucks as a very hardcore Shenmue fan and admirer of the developer. I'm distressed to be honest. :(

Man... you know this situation is a complete mess when you see two really passionate Shenmue III backers who have supported the game tirelessly in countless threads over the years are so downbeat/pissed.

I hope they reverse this decision but let's get real this is set in stone :(

Deleted member 19813

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They will run out of money. They're throwing Fortnite money around to build a store that not a whole lot of people are purchasing from.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
For starters, no cloud saves and achievements. Then there's the issue of maybe being able to play on Linux through Proton, and the social features (which I use, although I could understand if other people don't care about them). Achievements, controller support through Steam Input too (all of that is the stuff you lose when you move from Steam to EGS).
Yea no achievements and cloud saves is a pretty big feature gimp, regardless they shouldn't be doing this sorta stuff on principal alone and Epic Games/Tim should have some morals and stay away from Kickstarted games, seriously go after any other type of project except for stuff backed by fans because it's unethical and no one should be trying to build a business on such scummy tactics.

I guess we will just need to wait and see which has the longer staying power.....EGS money stash or gamer's will.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

That's Kickstarter in a nutshell.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Probably should add confirmation of no refunds to the title if there's room (I don't know the title character limit).

Oct 25, 2017
Man... you know this situation is a complete mess when you see two really passionate Shenmue III backers who have supported the game tirelessly in countless threads over the years are so downbeat/pissed.

I hope they reverse this decision but I let's get real this is set in stone :(

The least they could have done. The absolute fucking least they could have done, is to offer full refunds to anyone who had backed for a Steam copy. The fact that they are unwilling to do even that takes this from screwing over their fans into outright scamming people territory in my mind.

I mean, fuck. I love Shenmue. I was one of the very first backers of III, back when Kickstarter was constantly crashing and showing the wrong total for the pledge amount because of how heavy the traffic was. As recently as 12 hours ago this was one of my most anticipated games of the year. And now I'm not even going to touch it. Suzuki has burned all of his goodwill with me in a single day, after Shenmue III being a dream game of mine for more than a decade.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
What's weird is, you're probably right here, but take a step back (like they should've done):

The third part of a series, started decades ago, with the first two parts not currently on EGS. The first two parts also look a little janky, and third part... currently looks a little janky?

That's not a smart business move when you really think about it.

Another possibility could be that PC Preorders are super low ( outside of Backers ) and Deep Silver just wanted to get a check from Epic to make it more profitable. Maybe the money was super small for Epic and they just wanted some title in their "Exclusive" lineup.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Well it still says I pledged for PS4 physical although I changed to Steam digital later after confirming adress/pledge. What will I receive?

At least I can leave a message on my pledge page

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Also here I was thinking that my track record for messed up Kickstarters was 0% since I only backed Dreamfall Chapters

But then I remembered I backed this

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Another possibility could be that PC Preorders are super low ( outside of Backers ) and Deep Silver just wanted to get a check from Epic to make it more profitable. Maybe the money was super small for Epic and they just wanted some title in their "Exclusive" lineup.

Yeah, this makes more sense, I think. I mean, I had a Dreamcast back in the day, and have always thought of buying Shenmue since then, but have I? Nope. I'm wondering if Ys were blinded by how vocal their support was and now DS are just wanting to cut losses in the most immediate way possible.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AFAIK there were zero PC pre-orders prior to this. Certainly, there were no pre-orders on Steam.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Also here I was thinking that my track record for messed up Kickstarters was 0% since I only backed Dreamfall Chapters

But then I remembered I backed this

To be fair, while I've been able to play Dreamfall Chapters (I backed that at $250), I have yet to receive ANY of the physical rewards or the physical copy that was part of my pledge level.

I sort of call that a half victory. I think they're still coming, but Red Thread/Ragnar doesn't communicate enough for me to even know what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.