• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just checked and they haven't even got a shopping cart.

Do the Nintendo eshop and Xbox PC app get the same scrutiny for not having a shopping cart? I can't think of a time I've ever felt inconvenienced by a shopping cart being missing, typically I only buy one game at once so the shopping cart actually adds a step.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny watching Epic Games crashing the hype for one game after another.

I'm happy I didn't help fund this game although I was tempted to do so. Especially since it doesn't look too hot either.

People have every right to be mad about this, they won't get the reward they pledged for although the game is being made.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Honestly I agree with you. The game is not looking so good in its latest footage, so maybe more capital can improve it. Also, yeah, I think the developers need to explain this a lot better.
They are between a rock and a hard place, I get it. They need more funding to actually finish the game.

But I wonder if it is worth it to piss off their most loyal fans like this. The ones that were willing to back this game so far in advance just from the name alone.

Even if Epic pays for the Kickstarter refunds, the damage to the brand and Yu Suzuki as a creator could make funding the next game really difficult. We'll see if the people complaining are just a vocal minority or if this will be a serious problem in the future...

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
well with the epic cash they received it should be easy for them to refund any backers who want it, right?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't absolve Epic from this, they literally fostered this shit environment we're in.
Fuck them too.

Of course I can, dont you know I'm the absolver? Deep Silver weren't forced into this. The game was funded. Rationally this is on DS.

Epic cut the check. DS cashed it.

So it's on DS, glad you agree.

Didn't Tim say they wouldn't do this again? Buyout a game with an already established presence on Steam.

I'm not Tim Sweeney and I'm not Google, so why are you asking me? With Phoenix Point it was the devs approaching Epic, maybe its the same thing here.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Disingenuous commentary over a series of posts
I have an email from this time last year that says when I finalized my purchase, I chose Steam Digital Download as my backer reward. Any promise vagueness associated with the campaign before 2018 doesn't matter, because when they finalized my choice it said Steam, that is straight up what I was promised. I had the choice to choose PS4, and if they had said at the time "Epic Games Store or PS4" I would have gone with PS4 physical. As far as I'm aware at this point there's no changing your version of the game you ordered.

As you said, you can repeat a lie as many times as you'd like, but it doesn't become the truth. Now stop trying to lie to people in this thread, thanks.

As you are acknowledging, that "choice finalization" was made on 2018. 3 years after you backed the game and payed the money.

I guess you would, at most, be entitled to change your choice of the "Steam" version (now non-existent) for the PS4 one, or even insist on getting a Steam version. But not to a refund.

The lie is repeating that backers were promised a Steam version. Because when they actually and freely became backers, there was no Steam promise.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
416x416.jpg

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
As recently as their June 4 update, they still had "Requires Steam Client to activate" in the PC system requirements.

I backed for a PS4 physical copy, so doesn't change anything for me. If I had chosen a PC copy, I'd probably be mildly perturbed that it'll be separate from the games in my Steam library, but wouldn't be trying to get a refund.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, come on! The Kickstarter campaign it's, literally, when all the backers actually made the decision to purchase the game (and paid the money)

If Steam wasn't promised then, and you bought the game anyway, you are not entitled now to get in on Steam. Despite the publisher mentioned it afterwards.

It's not semantics nor "initial marketing". It's basic trade concepts...

PD: And please, I think you are being really rude calling my posts "stupid"

I mean it wasn't gonna end up on the Ubisoft store was it ... ?

If Steam was the only real store they could have put it in, and if any communication after the kickstarter has referred to Steam, and even let people literally choose the Steam version...

Then what happens ?

I picked Steam. If they give me an Epic Key, that's not what I chose. Soooo ?

FpaBOw.jpg

It's not even in the fucking options so stop acting like people were not entirely mislead.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
It is amazing that there are so many people that still do not understand that backing games on kickstarter does not mean they pre-order these games.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
As you are acknowledging, that "choice finalization" was made on 2018. 3 years after you backed the game and payed the money.

I guess you would, at most, be entitled to change your choice of the "Steam" version (now non-existent) for the PS4 one, or even insist on getting a Steam version. But not to a refund.

The lie is repeating that backers were promised a Steam version. Because when they actually and freely became backers, there was no Steam promise.

Amazing you keep on this path and keep meandering your arguments.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Tim say they wouldn't do this again? Buyout a game with an already established presence on Steam.
Tim Sweeney is a pathological liar, same with the Steamspy dude. They will always lie and do other shitty stuff to try to defend their actions.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Do the Nintendo eshop and Xbox PC app get the same scrutiny for not having a shopping cart? I can't think of a time I've ever felt inconvenienced by a shopping cart being missing, typically I only buy one game at once so the shopping cart actually adds a step.

I think the problem is they were supposed to add it months ago.

The store needs some work doing to it. The content is there though

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The exclusivity sucks as always, but the spin in that KS update is truly fucked.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Is it?

Kickstarting a game does not entitle you to the final product. Full stop. It's not a preorder, it's a donation. Same goes for specific console releases. As we've seen several times (Youka-Laylee on WiiU, Mighty No 9 on Vita) - developers are permitted to cancel platform releases with zero guaranteed compensation for original backers who wanted said platform. Steam's no different.

This is the agreement of Kickstarter. And if Shenmue III is what it takes for realize that is a bad deal - then people are free to decline that deal in the future.
Saying that you shouldn't ever use Kickstarter because one project with big backing associated itself with a bad publisher and chose to break a promise (amongst many) is indeed a stupid statement, sorry.

Of course Kickstarter isn't for preorders. But people trying to convince people to stop crowdfunding projects because a few projects fail or have a misstep is ridiculous.
And they fucked up here. But that has nothing to do with Kickstarter.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps they will distribute Steam keys, just to fulfill the backer's wants.

Otherwise, I cannot say I am surprised. Epic probably provided excellent support for Unreal and then likely offered them a wheelbarrow of cash to make the switch.

It wouldn't stop me from buying it, personally. The game was so highly desired that it being exclusive to a single store on PC isn't a turn off. I am just happy it exists.

Though, uh... I totally understand the frustrations. This was not a smart PR move.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
If you chose a different platform (or even if you didn't) -- request a refund. I don't care how much you want to play the game, this shit cannot be allowed. If we don't draw the line here what else will be taken from us? Fucking feels like in the future someone will just tell me what games to play and I'll have 0 choice.

Buyao

Oct 27, 2017
Just asked for a refund on Kickstarter. This fangamer email clearly show they had Steam version on the list back then.

I3LuUcX.png

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though they didn't mention Steam during the Kickstarter, they were taking backer money long after the Kickstarter, when they were promising Steam.

May 15, 2019
Signing an exclusivity deal before your game is announced is one thing, even after it's announced for steam initially, but to Kickstart a game for Steam, a game you already have some Sony funding for and a publisher on top of that, and to still screw over your backers like this is just disgusting. Nobody should support devs or publishers who show such a disregard for their customers. Once you've taken the money you should stick to what you promised in terms of platforms.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll be asking for a refund. I backed the PC version and wanted a Steam key.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
We are talking about 2015, not today, not three years later, not when the Steam page launched.

If in 2015 when you baked the game you could choose Steam somewhere, then fine. But if we are talking strictly about Kickstarter campaign and press releases, they didn't mention Steam, GOG or any other platform there.
The survey is the same as it was 5 years ago. Stop mirror climbing and accept you're wrong.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah of this isn't coming to Steam like I backed my money on, im pretty tempted to ask for a refund. Really not liking this kind of practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.