• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2018
It's why I ignore many of these concern posts. Constantly ignoring valid points in favour of confirming what they already believed in.
"Oh, it's just about another store? Lol, gamers be mad as usual"
Hilarious...

I'd advise everyone else to ignore them too. There is plenty of information for them to dig into if they truly wanted to know why people are upset.
Yep, said this in one of my posts in this thread. You can't show up in an Era thread and not know about these things. Get em outta here

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of crappy, but atleasg it's a copy of the game on the same platform regardless of store/drm.

If you don't like it, just don't put down money on a product that isn't out and reviewed going forward.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm asking for a damn refund. I understand games getting snatched up by Epic before they were announced but offering Steam keys to folks and then all of sudden go launcher exclusive...

And it's not just Steam, GOG users are effed too.

I didn't kickstart Shenmue III, but this confirms that I will NEVER kickstart any game ever

My sentiments exactly.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
This is accurate, but this change isn't the result of a physical problem, or technical limitation with the hardware, or the project collapsing due to whatever reason.

The only reason people are being denied Steam keys, something they were promised in exchange for their money, is because of a contract the devs/publishers willingly signed. That's some grade A bullshit.

FWIW, that phrase--in and of itself--is arguably a binding contract.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This is a nonsense argument. Steam keys were promised. You probably should have read the staff post.
I didn't say Steam Keys weren't promised. I said that the fact that you paid money does not mean you were guaranteed any platform, because it's not a preorder. The money is for getting the game developed, that is what people are spending money on, not buying a game, and that money was well spent, the game is completed. In exchange, the company is offering free bonuses, one of which is a copy of the game. But you will still get the promised bonus, just in a location you may not have wanted.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna risk a ban, but can "STAFF" please just let people discuss. Do we really need the admins making all the arguments for people
Do we want the usual posters saying stuff like: "It is just another launcher", or "It is just another icon", or "consoles already do that." My worst one is "Steam was worse than EGS when it was released."

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah okay next you'll be telling us that the earth isn't flat

But it is!

WMrtszy.png

Vanpastel

Oct 30, 2017
I do wonder if they just don't care about the backlash because they sure don't seem to, the only thing that matters to them is the money. This is totally unacceptable.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I presume that this will just end with Deep Silver giving Steam keys to the people that backed it, and everyone else will just have to buy the game on Epic.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say Steam Keys weren't promised. I said that the fact that you paid money does not mean you were guaranteed any platform, because it's not a preorder. The money is for getting the game developed, that is what people are spending money on, not buying a game, and that money was well spent, the game is completed. In exchange, the company is offering free bonuses, one of which is a copy of the game. But you will still get the promised bonus, just in a location you may not have wanted.
Apart from the fact they took money when Steam keys were promised too...

I paid $29 dollars to add a Steam key onto my pledge that already had a PS4 copy back in 2018. So yes, I'd say I was promised a Steam key.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's ignoring the fact that many kickstarters continue funding after the fact, which are often referred to pre-orders, which indeed often promise things, like a Steam key in this case.

It's definitely scummy, but I just mean people need to temper their expectations when it come to KS, it's not a pre-order, you might not be able to refund it, there's no guarantee the game will come out at all, the concept/direction may change during development, promised features may be missing because they miscalculated the budget, etc.

It's tossing cash down a wishing well. KS and the Dev/Pub shouldn't be lumped in together, and KS isn't EB Games either.

As much as I think that "hey, KS should regulate this stuff," KS exists to help people that probably *can't* get venture capital, so projects will inherently be more volatile, but that's what makes the potential for truly independent projects to thrive. If KS got more strict, then those people would be locked out of KS and would end up on some newer, less-restrictive platform anyway.

The point is, KS is a real Wild West and you need to do your research and roll the dice, and hope that whatever project you back doesn't go sideways. It's more about "hey, I like this Yu Suzuki guy, I want to give him money to realise his dream," than, "hey, I like this Shenmue game, I want to give it money to realise my dream."

senbon

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the most commented Shenmue Kickstarter update post to date.

In any case, I really hope this isn't a permanent exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Gonna risk a ban, but can "STAFF" please just let people discuss. Do we really need the admins making all the arguments for people

Absolutely not. You have people who are understandingly upset about being misled, or paying for something they did not ask for, and then you have people rolling in taunting them 'Its only a launcher! Its still coming out!' I'm glad staff came in.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've never seen this before it's pretty interesting
Granted, it was 18 years ago, but I am honestly surprised I'm the first person to bring this up.

This was a big deal for Shenmue II when it came out. It was right as Sega was starting to tank on the Dreamcast.

Shenmue II came out in Japan AND Europe for the Dreamcast, but Microsoft paid Sega to make sure that Shenmue II only came out in the USA on the original Xbox.
This was a big deal. At the time people started finding ways to hack the game saves from Shenmue I on the VMU, by changing the region flag, so that you could import a European copy of Shenmue II to continue your save file.

You can search and find plenty of forums posts from nearly two decades ago of basically this kind of discussion.
"But Sega needed money! You wouldn't get it otherwise!"
"The Xbox is more powerful!"

It didn't matter that it meant everyone would need to buy new consoles to play this game they were anticipating. And it never materialized. Keep in mind, the European release meant the English dub and translation was working. There was nothing to lose by manufacturing it in the states, expect lost Xbox sales.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
User banned (1 week): mod whining, hostility
Sorry, coming to this late... what's the big deal with Shenmue and why does it matter that it's just another icon? Anyway, see you never in a PC thread but see you in the next exclusive thread! Cheers

And the mods are giving this guy a warning and not the actual problem in these types of threads. Good to know where the mods stand I guess. Maybe Epic money is trickling down to places we aren't aware of? What a fucking joke.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Wow it's actually exclusive. Any KS games that do this after getting funded with promises of keys on specific services can go and get fucked.
"it's just another store" -> "it's just another launcher" -> "it's just another icon"

What's the next step on the list of trying to make the EGS seem as trivial as possible
"It's just another game"

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Some people are missing the point backers filled an ORDER via Fangamer. With a receipt. Imagine if you order Kingdom Hearts 3 from Amazon for Ps4 and you receive an XBox One copy. It's the same thing. This is nothing but a scam, plain and simple. At least people who preordered Exodus on Steam kept their game, instead apparently we are forced with something we do not want with no alternative. Even Phoenix something guys when they saw the shitstorm they promised backers a one year later Steam key in addition to the Epic store one on D1, instead in this case we have radio silence with the publishers posting links to redirect the blame.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's not acceptable and a really shitty way to dance around the issue. I'm relatively confident that if Kickstarter was ever taken to court about this, they would lose. When something is offered in exchange for money - it doesn't matter that it's called a "reward" - there should be some form of consumer protection in place. I honestly can't believe people are defending corporations pulling the rug out from under people.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Steam keys were rewards and as so were specifically promised. Just like it was a figurine or any other backer reward.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people are missing the point backers filled an ORDER via Fangamer. With a receipt. Imagine if you order Kingdom Hearts 3 from Amazon for Ps4 and you receive an XBox One copy. It's the same thing. This is nothing but a scam, plain and simple.

That's not the same thing. Epic Store and Steam can be downloaded for free. You can still play the game on the hardware you own (PC). PS4 and Xbox require a console purchase.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why because you and anyone else arguing that there was no steam key promised is wrong.

That's not the same thing. Epic Store and Steam can be downloaded for free. You can still play the game on the hardware you own (PC). PS4 and Xbox require a console purchase.
Backers were promised a Steam key, I don't and will not support Epic Game Store and shouldn't be forced to. This is a shit decision from them to do this.

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
The money they got from the exclusivity deal probably offsets more than the estimated number of people that got a steam key and would ask for a refund... still a terrible business practice imo

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
So, on the limited run stream they just said that (unless Im mistaken, if so I apologize) there will be 4000 physical copies total of the collector's edition on ps4, and 1000 pc. NA ONLY

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
And the mods are giving this guy a warning and not the actual problem in these types of threads. Good to know where the mods stand I guess. Maybe Epic money is trickling down to places we aren't aware of? What a fucking joke.
That's a forgotten /s on his part ( I actually had to check because I would have reported the post otherwise ).

Status
Not open for further replies.