Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
The controls are still shit, and this is more noticeable now due the game being more combat heavy than the previous one.
This isn't combat related at all, but it reminded me that I haven't commented on this yet or seen it mentioned... Shenmue 2 already had an analog control mode on Dreamcast and Xbox that you could switch to in options, but for some odd reason they did not use it at all.

When they announced "modern controls" for both games, I was expecting analog control to match that of the original Shenmue 2, just ported back to the first game as well. What we actually got in both games was literally the D-Pad controls mapped onto the analog stick. There's no variance in speed whatsoever from the analog control, it's walk or no walk forcing you to still hold the trigger to run. The original Shenmue 2 analog control actually varied your speed based on how far you moved the stick - you don't need to hold the trigger to run because the maximum range on the stick was full running. You also had better turning angles if I recall correctly.

Did anyone else notice this? It's just a weird difference that I wasn't expecting.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently 1.04 on PC broke some things, in example now Space Harrier crashes on the High Score screen. Do you know if a 1.05 is available for the beta branch? I can't find anything about it. It's astonishing anyway I pre-ordered the game on July, it released in August and in 2 days we are in October and I'm still waiting to start it, hoping everything will be fixed like it was 20 years ago.
I don't understand why Sega shipped a so broken product.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the combat controls TOO much- they're certainly better than the field controls, which are complete and utter ass.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
The controls don't bother me too much. Moving Ryo around when he's running feels pretty smooth, and that is the majority of his movement. It's only when trying to navigate a tight space that some difficulties can occur. I usually adjust fairly quickly to this unique control scheme coming back from newer games.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The tight spaces piss me off so much. That's mainly what I was talking about. It can also be hard to focus on an object- you have to be at just the right distance for it to trigger. Too close, fuck you, too far, fuck you.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Finished the game last night. The last stretch of the game... sure is something else.

While thematically interesting and providing lots of information about Shenhua, walking for what it felt like hours, it's goddamn boring. It actually soured me a bit about the game and damped my enjoyment from what I felt was a superior game. In fact, the ending for the Kowloon section was pretty damn good and I kinda wish the game has ended there.

Overall, I felt that while ambitious and innovative as this games were, the flaws are too much at times. Worse thing, is that even with all my complains, I feel that now I am too invested in Ryo's adventure to no buy Shenmue 3 lol

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
These games have so many absolutely asinine design decisions on a level beyond belief, I keep getting surprised every time they present a new one, it's baffling. Maybe I'll write about it shortly when I'm done with S2, but just now I was fighting Don Nui after reaching the top of the building and after beating him in a very unfun fight, the command QTEs started. Got the first one, the second one, the third and I failed the fourth. Oh well, it's gonna go back to the first QTE, right? Nope, this is Shenmue, fight him again from the start and fuck you. So I beat him again and I reached the first command QTE, which inexplicably failed, because that's another fun feature added to S2, unreliable QTEs. So yeah, alt+F4 and I'll try again another time.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
These games have so many absolutely asinine design decisions on a level beyond belief, I keep getting surprised every time they present a new one, it's baffling. Maybe I'll write about it shortly when I'm done with S2, but just now I was fighting Don Nui after reaching the top of the building and after beating him in a very unfun fight, the command QTEs started. Got the first one, the second one, the third and I failed the fourth. Oh well, it's gonna go back to the first QTE, right? Nope, this is Shenmue, fight him again from the start and fuck you. So I beat him again and I reached the first command QTE, which inexplicably failed, because that's another fun feature added to S2, unreliable QTEs. So yeah, alt+F4 and I'll try again another time.
Back then they hadn't yet learned that faster, more complex QTEs isn't a fun way to ramp up the difficulty of a game. This was still a problem years later in action games like God of War.

Redoing whole sections was still common in games in 2002. It's a holdover from the previous gen when checkpoints were extremely far apart (if they existed at all), unlike today when games auto-save constantly.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Back then they hadn't yet learned that faster, more complex QTEs isn't a fun way to ramp up the difficulty of a game. This was still a problem years later in action games like God of War.

Redoing whole sections was still common in games in 2002. It's a holdover from the previous gen when checkpoints were extremely far apart (if they existed at all), unlike today when games auto-save constantly.
But the problem is that that kind of QTEs is super unclear on how they're supposed to be reproduced, sometimes they fail for no apparent reason. Like, that first one after the fight, it's just a direction and A, it's not hard at all but it failed after the directional input.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
But the problem is that that kind of QTEs is super unclear on how they're supposed to be reproduced, sometimes they fail for no apparent reason. Like, that first one after the fight, it's just a direction and A, it's not hard at all but it failed after the directional input.

I failed so much of those godawful QTEs that required both directional and a button input. Eventually, I found you are supposed to input the commands as soon as you see them, not to wait until you see all the sequence

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I failed so much of those godawful QTEs that required both directional and a button input. Eventually, I found you are supposed to input the commands as soon as you see them, not to wait until you see all the sequence
Yeah, I kinda figured that out today since that section of the game has so many and it seemed the most reliable way, but can you press them as fast as you want or do you need to reproduce their timing?

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah, I'm not saying the multi-input QTEs are good. They've always been finicky and confusing. It's nothing new to these ports, that's for sure.

I think they lessen the amount of time you have to start and finish the combo later in the game, because with some of the easy ones like kicking the door down with Ren, you can definitely press both prompts after they've both flashed on-screen. Whereas with later ones it feels like you definitely fail if you wait for the entire prompt to flash before inputting the buttons. It makes it feel inconsistent which is always bad in game mechanics.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The command QTEs are annoying and one of my least favourite things about Shenmue II. I feel like they were worse in the HD ports though, because of how glitchy the QTEs can be. I haven't played enough of the ports after the most recent patch, though, so not sure if they have been improved or not.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
In the original game I always waited until all button inputs had displayed before pressing any. There was definitely enough time for that. Perhaps they changed the timing?

I'm still on break from Shenmue II to finish Yakuza Kiwami 2, but I'll be getting back to it this week. If someone else doesn't confirm that the timing is the same by then, I'll follow up when I make it to the appropriate point during disc 2. If they broke it then it needs to be reported to them.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
In the original game I always waited until all button inputs had displayed before pressing any. There was definitely enough time for that. Perhaps they changed the timing?

I'm still on break from Shenmue II to finish Yakuza Kiwami 2, but I'll be getting back to it this week. If someone else doesn't confirm that the timing is the same by then, I'll follow up when I make it to the appropriate point during disc 2. If they broke it then it needs to be reported to them.

So I've finished Yakuza 2 Kiwami, and went back to Shenmue II. Doing some of the tougher arm wrestling mini games the game will prompt for those QTEs, and you are supposed to wait until it shows all of the inputs before doing it I think.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't combat related at all, but it reminded me that I haven't commented on this yet or seen it mentioned... Shenmue 2 already had an analog control mode on Dreamcast and Xbox that you could switch to in options, but for some odd reason they did not use it at all.

When they announced "modern controls" for both games, I was expecting analog control to match that of the original Shenmue 2, just ported back to the first game as well. What we actually got in both games was literally the D-Pad controls mapped onto the analog stick. There's no variance in speed whatsoever from the analog control, it's walk or no walk forcing you to still hold the trigger to run. The original Shenmue 2 analog control actually varied your speed based on how far you moved the stick - you don't need to hold the trigger to run because the maximum range on the stick was full running. You also had better turning angles if I recall correctly.

Did anyone else notice this? It's just a weird difference that I wasn't expecting.

That's interesting. I wonder if that was done to keep the controls consistent across both games?

The command QTEs are annoying and one of my least favourite things about Shenmue II. I feel like they were worse in the HD ports though, because of how glitchy the QTEs can be. I haven't played enough of the ports after the most recent patch, though, so not sure if they have been improved or not.

A plausible scenario is that this isn't a bug and is instead the product of input lag. Just a theory of mine but I think it's a pretty likely one.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The multi-QTEs are neat during certain scenes but most of the time they are just annoying. Easily the biggest thing that keep me away from loving Shenmue II as much as I do the first game.

ZeusII

Nov 16, 2017
Barcelona
Totally agree with the QTE thingy... also, playing on PS4, I had quite a few crashes on Shenmue 2 (none on 1), I ended saving nearly at every corner just to prevent having to do a lot of backtracking in the middle end of the game

I really hope that with 3, they do not fall to nostalgia and add all the bad things of 1 and 2

Oct 30, 2017
Totally agree with the QTE thingy... also, playing on PS4, I had quite a few crashes on Shenmue 2 (none on 1), I ended saving nearly at every corner just to prevent having to do a lot of backtracking in the middle end of the game

I really hope that with 3, they do not fall to nostalgia and add all the bad things of 1 and 2
I'm worried they'll feel obligated to do this, but I don't think Yu Suzuki will let the team do too much of this.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is a genuine concern of mine. Of course there are many things that should stay the same, such as the focus on real exploration; the need to pay attention to detail and learn the specifics of a place. As soon as you include a modern mini-map, waypoints or other visual indicators, you're no longer making a Shenmue game.

Having a mix of combat, exploration and cinematics (regular and QTE) is also vital, but it doesn't mean they have to be exactly the same. Take QTEs, for example. Including something as simple as a visual countdown to let players know how long they have to press a button would be an instant improvement.

Nothing I've seen of Shenmue III has given me cause for concern, but I admit I was kind of disappointed that Yu Suzuki caved into fan pressure by including forklift driving again (if it isn't confirmed it has at least been heavily hinted at). Seems completely nostalgia-driven, with almost zero merit for being included, and I'm sure some of the "demand" was just for the lulz. I'm sure they'll make it work but I would've preferred to see something new.

Last edited:

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
A plausible scenario is that this isn't a bug and is instead the product of input lag. Just a theory of mine but I think it's a pretty likely one.
It wasn't input lag, at least not for me. I just got to the part of the game with the freeze-QTEs and can confirm that they work the same as the original. I'm able to complete them after it shows you all of the inputs. The timing is pretty tight though, so if you've failed one before you're better off starting sooner which I didn't even think to do.

I will say that I'm finding Izumi's QTE harder on a PS4 controller than on a Dreamcast controller. Not sure if it's button spacing or what, but my preferred method of doing X+B, Y+A ([]+O, /\+X) is much harder on the PS4 controller. I'm used to doing that with 2 fingers and it's awkward here.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
pretty big patch incoming

Patch Notes v1.05

Audio
• Improved the MIDI playback for various instances of background music.
• Fixed a MIDI playback issue that could cause "stuck notes".
• Increased music volume when playing games in "Shenmue Collection"
• Fixed various issues with SFX.
• Fixed an issue that would cause the volume of some dialogue during combat to be controlled via the SFX volume option.
• Fixed various issues with lip syncing.

UI
• Fixed an issue that would cause the money panel to sometimes continue to display over arcade games.
• Fixed an issue that would cause the clock to obstruct the score in Space Harrier.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the wrong animation to play in the moves list UI.
• Fixed various issues caused by low UI scale values.
• Fixed an issue where the cassette player battery would sometimes display while viewing cassette tapes.
• Fixed various issues with help screens.
• Fixed various issues with the "completed game" save screen.
• Fixed an issue that would cause text to occasionally display with a blue outline.
• Fixed issues with missing prompts and missed input in QTE title when obtaining high scores.
• Improved the display of directional inputs when playing Excite QTE 2.
Graphical Issues
• Added the ability to adjust gamma values via the graphics options.
• Fixed the "A", "B", "X" & "Y" gacha colours.
• Fixed an issue with some cutscenes being incorrectly displayed in 16:9 with graphical issues.
• Fixed an issue that would cause the camera to clip through scenery in Bunkado Antiques.
• Fixed issues with Shenmue 1 shadows which caused them to appear "blocky".

Controls
• Improved the controls while playing HangOn.
• Improved the controls while playing Afterburner II.
• Space Harrier and Afterburner II controls now no longer default to inverted.
• Fixed thumbstick issues when interacting with the Shenmue 1 Jukebox.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the forklift truck to become unstoppable.

Miscellaneous
• Fixed issues with move experience gains not working as expected.
• Experience gains are now correctly saved.
• The UI has been updated to show the experience progress since the last time the moves list was opened.
• Fixed an issue that would cause Gacha rewards to not be given when playing Space Harrier in Shenmue II.
• Fixed an issue what caused Ryo to not receive the certificate of completion after playing HangOn.
• Fixed an issue that caused the "Mini HangOn" gacha to be incorrectly awarded.
• Fixed occasional freezes while playing Space Harrier.
• Fixed an occasional crash when attempting to enter initials in Outrun.
• Fixed an issue where pausing while entering a loading screen could sometimes cause you to get stuck in the loading screen.
• Subtitles showing betting information for gambling mini-games are now localised.
• Fixed an issue that would cause snapshots to be corrupted when taken at certain resolutions

https://steamcommunity.com/app/758330/discussions/0/1730963192540425936/

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm running through Spider-Man at the moment, but these patch notes are looking good.

Still saving my Shenmue II platinum run.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
So much respect for the team and their continued support, they've done wonders in supporting the collection :)

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
holy shit

This is one I ran into. <3

D3T got a raw deal in this, but I'm glad they are committed to making it right as best they can.
Probably it's Sega forcing their hands, considering the game still needs to be released in Japan, so they are fixing as much stuff as they can so the japanase release will be less buggy.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I found QTE's harder on PS4 due to the lack of button color and had to really on a shape, the pink of the Square Button was hard to process in the brain

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Japanese TGS Stream, they went into the options menu around 1 hour 11 minutes. I see the Audio option to Switch voices to English, but it looks like there is no option to change the text language to English under display options. Just a heads up for anyone else importing. Of course, it's possible that the game just defaults to whatever language your console is set to..
Just to follow up on this post I made previously, because the topic at hand resurfaced today and I haven't seen it mentioned again yet.

I was wrong about what the remaining option on the sound options screen was. I barely know any Japanese, and so when I saw no 日本語 under display options I knew the Japanese text option was missing and I assumed that the remaining option on the sound options screen was voice. The remaining toggle under the sound options screen is actually the Game Mode / Shenmue Mode option for subtitles, which I assumed was under display options and not sound options.

So in short, we knew almost 2 weeks ago from the TGS video that the Japanese version does not have any English options at all.

Still keeping my pre-order of the Japanese version though, since I want the physical soundtrack.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
This is really nice. I've been holding off playing Shenmue II because of Yakuza Kiwami 2 and now Spider-Man, guess I'm not in a terrible hurry to finish the latter.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Those patch notes are looking really good. Glad to see that by the looks of things the HD ports will finally be like a polished mirror.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Forcing their hand" by paying them to keep working on the game because they made them release it before it was finished. The blame lies with SEGA, not d3t.
Well yeah, I mean, Sega forced them to release the game on a broken status but at least they are giving them money to keep fixing the game. If Sega wouldn't give them money, we wouldn't have patches.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Those patch notes...

wjcbLzR.jpg

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Just to follow up on this post I made previously, because the topic at hand resurfaced today and I haven't seen it mentioned again yet.

I was wrong about what the remaining option on the sound options screen was. I barely know any Japanese, and so when I saw no 日本語 under display options I knew the Japanese text option was missing and I assumed that the remaining option on the sound options screen was voice. The remaining toggle under the sound options screen is actually the Game Mode / Shenmue Mode option for subtitles, which I assumed was under display options and not sound options.

So in short, we knew almost 2 weeks ago from the TGS video that the Japanese version does not have any English options at all.

Still keeping my pre-order of the Japanese version though, since I want the physical soundtrack.

I'm gonna keep my preorder too but I'm probably going to buy a digital copy of it on Xbox as well (once this patch rolls out anyway). Looking forward to getting back to these games for the first time in at least 10 years.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Shenmue 1 yesterday. Good thing I never played it earlier, because I certainly wouldn't have had the patience for the last part and the horrible combat gameplay.

It was a great experience tho and I'm glad I played it. I'm debating if I should play the second one right now or wait a bit, since I want to play RDR2 ASAP, and I wont be able to finish Shenmue 2 by then.
Do you folks think it's alright if I play it with a big break in between or should I focus on it completely? Also, is it exactly like the first game in its structure and gameplay, or can I expect some improvements on the gameplay?