• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would they ever do that with an actual Captain Marvel movie coming out two months after this?

What company would ever want that confusion?
... because calling him by his name is the right thing to do.

(Mutter mutter.... this -is- the actual Captain Marvel film. Stupid Marvel comics, stealing legacy character names... mutter mutter....)

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel
t1552003200z1.png

Mar 15Wonder ParkUs
Mar 22GreyhoundWhere'd You Go Bernadette?Five Feet Apart
Mar 29DumboCaptive StateUntitled Annapurna/Armie Hammer Thriller

Shazam
t1554422400z1.png

Apr 12The Voyage of Doctor DolittleBreakthrough
Apr 19PenguinsMissing LinkUntitled New Line Horror Film #1 2019
Apr 26The Aftermath

Untitled Avengers 4 movie
t1556841600z1.png

They have a decent window to work
They need to have a great opening weekend and good WOM, once A4 marketing machine starts . . .

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Don't feel it at all. Don't know anything about the character or lore.
And this made me not care about it anymore.

So it's a bit like freaky friday with a super hero. Gonna pass.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
Such a weird tone shift from other DC flicks, will be strange seeing them trying to tie it all together. Levi is mostly suit as well, he is going to look odd next to Cavill (assuming he is still involved) and The Rock, who are both built like the side of a house without the suits.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
First of these DCU movies that actually looks watchable.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, was reading the Wikipedia on the character.

So a separate comic publisher released Captain Marvel, outselling Superman comics in the '40s. Then DC sued them claiming it was a Superman rip-off, and due to this the original publisher stopped the series in the '50s.

Then in the '60s Marvel comics sneakily trademarks 'Captain Marvel' themselves during this period, after which DC gained a license to the original character and began titling the series in the '70s reboot as 'Shazam' instead.

So there are two Captain Marvels but the Marvel comics version is underutilized simply as it was (presumably) some scheme to prevent confusion with their brand. Then in 2011 DC officially rebrands the character itself as 'Shazam'.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

So a separate comic publisher released Captain Marvel, outselling Superman comics in the '40s. Then DC sued them claiming it was a Superman rip-off, and due to this the original publisher stopped the series in the '50s.

Then in the '60s Marvel comics sneakily trademarks 'Captain Marvel' themselves during this period, after which DC gained a license to the original character and began titling the series in the '70s reboot as 'Shazam' instead.

So there are two Captain Marvels but the Marvel comics version is underutilized simply as it was (presumably) some scheme to prevent confusion with their brand. Then in 2011 DC officially rebrands the character itself as 'Shazam'.
Yup, that's the basic summation.

There was also a period in the mid 2000s where Freddie became Champion and using the name Shazam while Billy took the place of the Wizard. This was DC's first attempt at trying to retire the Captain Marvel name. This was post Infinite Crisis after the Spectre destroyed the Rock of Eternity and the DCU's magic.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

f635b38d0938750310e604cca216a99f.jpg

Pretty much, and then there is the story about Marvel's Earth-616 Captain Marvels

Now, Carol Danvers holds the title and she's going to star in the 2019 film.
In a recent comic, she encounters alternate versions of herself and one might be Shazam :v

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017
I will take the wife to Aquaman, but I think I am going to have to Netflix this one.

OP
OP
Wingfan19

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
So Levi essentially confirms what all us guessed about the costume

The suit is what Billy imagines a superhero to be, which is why it's so "perfect" and looks like a muscle suit. Also Sandberg kinda confirms that there are seeds laid out for Black Adam in this movie.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with the comics, so I have nothing to say about how authentic this may be in regards to the comics. It does feel really dumb. Like, I get it's not supposed to be a serious superhero, it's a kid's dream of becoming a superhero basically and becoming cocky with it, so that makes sense, but it still feels like it's trying hard to be funny, but it really isn't. Really not feeling the mood or the setting, and characters seem rather generic so far. Hopefully the movie will still be good, but eh.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The suit is what Billy imagines a superhero to be, which is why it's so "perfect" and looks like a muscle suit. Also Sandberg kinda confirms that there are seeds laid out for Black Adam in this movie.

Wow, this was a really good interview. They seem like such a fun bunch.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017

I can't stop staring at Levi's guns

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

f635b38d0938750310e604cca216a99f.jpg

Pretty much, and then there is the story about Marvel's Earth-616 Captain Marvels

Now, Carol Danvers holds the title and she's going to star in the 2019 film.
In a recent comic, she encounters alternate versions of herself and one might be Shazam :v

oh it gets weirder
11106b2cf015a98e5ebbf28681a82425.jpg

159958-147046-captain-marvel.jpg

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, do I see the movie version in there?

I think so! Looking at that image it looks like the artist saw the set photos of the Captain Marvel movie and drew it in there. Is that one of the most direct references to the actual Earth-199999? Rather than the whole, "well the movie is doing this so we will do something similar" that is so prevalent.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think so! Looking at that image it looks like the artist saw the set photos of the Captain Marvel movie and drew it in there. Is that one of the most direct references to the actual Earth-199999? Rather than the whole, "well the movie is doing this so we will do something similar that is so prevalent."

I don't follow the comics but I don't know of them doing anything with the movies other then what you said.

Don't know why their hasn't been an official crossover yet.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks bad, jokes were terrible. I dont have a clue about this character though

Oct 27, 2017
Just rewatching this with my 8 year old daughter and we both think it looks like a ton of fun. I'm definitely going to see this next year.

One thing occurred to me though; wasn't The Rock supposed to be Black Adam in this? I didn't see him in the trailer and it looks like Mark Strong is the villain.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Just rewatching this with my 8 year old daughter and we both think it looks like a ton of fun. I'm definitely going to see this next year.

One thing occurred to me though; wasn't The Rock supposed to be Black Adam in this? I didn't see him in the trailer and it looks like Mark Strong is the villain.
Black Adam is the main Shazam villain, but if he's in this at all, they're keeping that under wraps. They've literally never said where The Rock will finally show up as Black Adam.

As of right now, Dr. Sivana (Mark Strong) is the only villain.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

He's supposed to be Black Adam but Black Adam isn't in this film. Last rumor I heard was that he's supposed to show up in Suicide Squad 2....because reasons

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Rock is getting his own black adam film, he and his company are producing Shazam tho.