• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I love polarizing reviews because it often means that the game isn't mainstream (Ubisoft towers + collectibles for example). Games with scores between 70 and 85 are more interesting to me than 90+ games.
Sure, there are exceptions like God of War or Breath of the Wild.
TR2013 while being the better game has a worse MC score than ROTTR so I'm buying Shadows Day1.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of writing and storytelling, the new Tomb Raider games are probably the absolute worst in the AAA space. Maybe only beaten by Battlefield. I like playing them, but they completely fail to bring any quality whatsoever to the plotting, the characters or the voice work. Shadow not being any better is not surprising.

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
80-85 is in line with what I expected, definitely worth a play through. I have bought the previous two games when they reached $30, will do the same here.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Man good scores! Such a shame im so busy with spiderman and than dragon quest because i absolutely loved the 2013 and thought Rise was great. I guess will pick up later, but great reviews makes me happy!

Spider-Man and DQ both have 87 MC and are two of the best rated games of the year. This is mixed.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint provides a very needed perspective in what is often a very white, very male hobby. I'm thankful they exist and appreciate having their opinions rattling around in my brain whenever I'm playing a game.
Agreed. And it's always funny seeing how instantly dismissive people are of them because of their perspective. Prime examples in this thread.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Still solid scores, though.
Yep, no doubt it has some solid positive feedback from a lot of people, but as far as averages go, this is sitting far lower than Tomb Raider 2013, and Rise, and does seem like a bit of a mess going off some of the more negative reviews. It's odd, you look at a series like Uncharted and each game is distinctly different, but these modern Tomb Raider games just blend together as something unmemorable that doesn't get me invested in this take on the series.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really looking forward to finishing spider-man and getting my teeth into this. A few reviews say it's the best of the trilogy. I'm interested to see where I land on it.

Jan 29, 2018
Reviews describe what I expected, so I'm still excited to get this Friday. It's been a while since I've got a game on day one.

It's weird that people are shitting on Waypoint when each review I've read so far mentioned the game's take on colonialism. Could it be that it's because only Waypoint mentioned it in the headline and people only look at numbers?

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't die! :D

3428503-8217719574-Impos.gif

After reading some of these reviews and seeing this gif...

giphy.gif

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like everyone got a different checklist to judge off, and there's no consistency in any of the reviews as a result. I can't even take away a solid impression of what this game is like given all the disparity.

All of these are so contradictory. I see some reviewers comparing/contrasting to the current series, some to the old series, and some as it stands on its own. Some say it finally feels more like the original games, others complain it feels dated. Some seem like this is the first time they're touching a TR game - complaining about stuff that's been in the rebooted games from the start like it's a new, horrible addition.

I feel for the devs - so many varying expectations on a series with so much history. You can't please everyone, but it seems like some people really loved it, so they apparently got pretty close to what some were hoping for.

I wasn't on the fence (already pre-ordered) so it will be interesting to see how it plays for myself.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Waypoint it's always hilarious

Anyway, was expecting a tad better but it seems really solid and i'm still excited to give it a go

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Because the person really didn't enjoy it? A low score doesn't equate to something being objectively bad; it means it didn't click with that individual at all. While it absolutely clicked with the people who rated it highly

Especially for games that get a mix of positive and middling reviews, people need to stop seeing low scores as "bad/broken game" but as "the game didn't appeal to or click with those people as much as did others"

How could it have appealed so poorly to someone that it results in a 4/10, when it gets high praise on other sites? All I'm saying is that the reviews are really polarizing. You don't see this happen usually with a lot of games.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
reading that polygon review also got me convinced to pick the game up. Kinda getting the feeling if you at least dug the previous two entries, you'll probably really dig this one.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm also seeing a bit of Resident Evil 5, where you're the white savior shooting indigenous/POC enemies. Except apparently here you're not even a savior, you're just on a power trip? I don't know...I am kind of curious about playing an unlikeable protagonist. Something like Far Cry 3, or Kane and Lynch.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I love the fact that people are freaking out over a gif from an older build with a small animation glitch. It's really something else.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Quick read so might be missing something.

- The reviewer feels Shadow feels too similar to previous two game.
- The reviewer criticize the stealth system and enemy AI.
- Cqc combat is bad but mid range encounter is good.
- The setting, level design, puzzle and tomb are praised.
- Platforming still feel floaty and inconsistent.
- The reviewer doesn't like Lara in Shadow.
Sounds like the usual pretentious, overly critical Gamespot drivel.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Shame people need to post old gifs of a WIP build like it is from the retail copy.
Atleast double check if its the same.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I liked Tomb Raider 2013 more than RotTR, because the former was more focused on platforming and huge setpieces, whereas the latter upp'd the RPG mechanics and combat focus.

Where do you think this game falls on that spectrum? "Focus on platforming" makes me hopeful. (I'm going to pick this game up either way, so don't worry about that.)

There are a lot of RPG-esque elements in this but the tone of the game felt closer to 2013 to me. And yeah combat is just scaled waaaaay back. Like there are sometimes 45-60 minute gaps between encounters, which I loved.