Oct 25, 2017
Big surprise gaming is filled with a bunch of morons when american war propaganda reigns
So you know nothing about like 90% of the series then.
America is rarely even a focus in most of the series.

An American corporation is the villain of one of the games,
an American General starts WW3 which is the focus of the Modern Warfare series

BO1, BO2 and WW2 are like the only ones that has America as untouchable good guys.
American Government shady BS starts the events of BO3

Even the Modern Warfare reboot is about America using a rebel militia to fight an ISIS like group and Russia and then betraying and abandoning them later in the game.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I mean, when every year COD fans repeat the cycle of complaining the newest game sucked and\or hate the shitty post game business practices that are implemented only to fall for the same exact hype when the new game is announced, that sure does say something.

And don't get me started on some of my friends who absolve Activision of Blizzards treatment regarding the pro-hong kong protest.

Every single online gaming community is shit talking their own favorite game because of a meningless bug, a rando update, a meta "issue"... whatever... Welcome to the internet... The circlejerk isn't an actual reflection of reality, for each player complaining there is 100 enjoying the game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when every year COD fans repeat the cycle of complaining the newest game sucked and\or hate the shitty post game business practices that are implemented only to fall for the same exact hype when the new game is announced, that sure does say something.

And don't get me started on some of my friends who absolve Activision of Blizzards treatment regarding the pro-hong kong protest.

but how many are "fans" and truly give a shit when rubber hits the road? not a refutation of the point but a question mark

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
tumblr_omeqbn371t1qgojgxo2_540.gifv

tumblr_omeqbn371t1qgojgxo1_540.gifv

Best since COD4(probably better) fanbase despised it.

Fanbase didn't even play the campaign and went straight to multiplayer.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Sounds just like the FIFA and Pokemon fanbases. COD fans aren't unique in being incapable of learning a lesson.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
This is North American list right?

I think world wide, it was Minecraft.

But good to know GTAV is on top and not just another COD.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
These lists are way more interesting with multiplatform / multigenerational titles omitted.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont get why people feel the need to belittle call of duty? They are extremely well made games with a large following. They are fun and i get why they are so popular.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
but I don't play cod how could cod be so big this makes no sense even one friend of mine i talked to doesn't play it so how is it so popular?!!!?!

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I wonder how COD would sell if it was a once a generation title ala GTA.

And vice versa if GTA was a yearly release.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually like Minecraft best of those games

I like gta singleplayer but HATE gta online so i dont overall like gta v..

cod..i dont play these - and never will..

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I dont get why people feel the need to belittle call of duty? They are extremely well made games with a large following. They are fun and i get why they are so popular.

It's due in part to the fact that Era in general leans to the left and the Call of Duty games as a whole are viewed as xenophobic right-wing power fantasies by a decent chunk of the members here. This is, for some, reason enough to write off the entire franchise without giving a second thought to how tightly designed and fun to play the games may otherwise be.

Honestly I think it's a perfectly acceptable reason to dislike the franchise, and I say that as someone who generally does enjoy each new COD to varying degrees (mostly for the multiplayer). The criticisms of promoting right-wing jingoism have been levied at the Call of Duty for a long time by many outlets, certainly not just Era. It's a valid criticism, one that the series - unfortunately - rarely ever gets introspective about.

So from that perspective I can understand why folks would be annoyed that these games sell so well.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes King!!!!! Slaying the industry.

call of Duty is a beast, east every other title for Breakfast.

they've been a few missteps along the way but they keep on bringing the goods.

With Modern Warfare we've also got a consumer friendly mtx model and post support has been good so far.

Activision you're in my good graces now, thank you for listening , took you a while but we're here.

You guys hating it should try it, i mean there's a Waifu skin and all.

Feb 21, 2019
I picked up my first Call of Duty in my entire life with this recent Modern Warfare. And you know what? Its pretty dang good and Im enjoying myself.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Are we talking "Oh hey we got jetpacks now" sci-fi or "Exploring far-flung worlds and interacting with aliens" sci-fi?
Ghosts was NOT an alien invasion (I'm a moron), Advanced Warfare was near future on Earth, and Infinite Warfare was in space, still in our solar system though. CoD sci-fi is closer to grounded hard sci-fi rather than science fantasy like Star Wars, Star Trek, or Mass Effect.

Edited to correct Ghosts.

Last edited:

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
It's due in part to the fact that Era in general leans to the left and the Call of Duty games as a whole are viewed as xenophobic right-wing power fantasies by a decent chunk of the members here. This is, for some, reason enough to write off the entire franchise without giving a second thought to how tightly designed and fun to play the games may otherwise be.
Which is funny because if people actually played the campaigns and paid attention to the story, themes and subtext they'd realize the CoD games are anti-interventionist, anti-imperialist, anti-war, and critical of the U.S. military industrial complex. But then you have takes like this one:
I don't, but I'm also not one for U.S. Military propaganda, so a fresh take on the franchise may get me interested.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I'm not a big CoD fan, but the sense of superiority I see on some gaming groups acting as if CoD players are dumb is kinda cringe...
So true. I never get these comments. Both here and on twitter, I've seen stuff like "a depressing list", "that's so sad" etc. (TBF, most comments aren't like that). What's sad though? if these games are doing so well, they're doing something right for their audience. On a sidenote, I haven't been a huge COD guy for over a decade now, but picked up MW this holiday and it's really just fantastic.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
www.resetera.com

NPD top 10 best selling games of the decade (2010-2019)

GTAV is of course first, although it probably doesn't include PC sales for Minecraft. Rest is Call of Duty and Red Dead 2. edit: here's 11-20, thanks for the info Also from venturebeat:
Don't forget this one
There were three threads made at the same time yesterday and none of them were merged/closed lol

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Which is funny because if people actually played the campaigns and paid attention to the story, themes and subtext they'd realize the CoD games are anti-interventionist, anti-imperialist, anti-war, and critical of the U.S. military industrial complex. But then you have takes like this one:

I've only played Call of Duty 4 and Black Ops 2 and remember both being fairly jingoistic, but that was also almost a decade ago, so it's possible I missed some subtext or am straight up misremembering things.

But please continue to paint my opinion as a "take."

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Never ever brought a CoD game but I ain't mad at them (No Pac). I hope they keep doing their thing.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Oh buy, can't remember the last time I was hyped for a new cod or gta. 15 years ago GTA and MGS were the games that I would Always buy for any console I had.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts was an alien invasion, Advanced Warfare was near future on Earth, and Infinite Warfare was in space, still in our solar system though. CoD sci-fi is closer to grounded hard sci-fi rather than science fantasy like Star Wars, Star Trek, or Mass Effect.

LMAO Ghosts wasnt Aliens, unless you are talking about Extinction mode which was that game's version of Zombies