• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I see a fair amount of East Asian looking people wearing them in the North of England too.
I looked it up and apparently they are trying not to spread their germs.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
They're worn for three reasons:

1. You're sick and don't want others to get sick.
2. You are surrounded by sick people and you don't want to get sick.
3. You want to go incognito and don't want to be seen.

I lived in Japan for like five years so there ya go.

It's pretty common in East Asia overall.

This many times over. Koreans and Chinese wear them too.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I use surgical masks at work when I'm coming down with something. My students laugh their asses off when they first see me wear it, but that's OK. The only person who didn't find it weird or funny was one of the school's counselors who used to live in Japan.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have no idea why this hasn't become popular out west, but I've been doing it ever since I was in Japan.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the average lifespan in most East Asian countries longer, though?
Which could be for a million reasons. I mean how long has it been common for people to wear those masks? Have people who are 100+ years old now always been wearing them?

I believe Italy has a very high life expectancy as do many other European countries, but I've never seen anyone wear those masks there.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to see this in Seattle, mainly all the Chinese tech workers. Hope it catches on.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people in my office are sick I wear one. I hardly ever get sick (like once every 2-3 years) but in close spaces I'd rather not risk it.

Just wear it, who cares what people say.

Oct 28, 2017
It isn't a thing in America because we're dumb here and are more concerned with looking cool than practicality.

The literal second some pop star does it, then I could see it becoming a thing here. Taylor Swift, help make us more healthy!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen em in large US cities, but rarely.

Definitely seen them at gaming/anime cons, but that's a unique circumstance.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's a thing here if you're at a con, an eboy, or if there are wildfires affecting the quality of the air.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
D4Tnq4PXoAEF5Cv.jpg

You can get away with it if you're a cool DJ/Performer.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Its all of East Asia, isn't it? I wonder if the super high population density prompts more efforts to control disease spread. There's no way to avoid extremely close proximity with people, so you do what you can.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Its all of East Asia, isn't it? I wonder if the super high population density prompts more efforts to control disease spread. There's no way to avoid extremely close proximity with people, so you do what you can.
The issue is, at least for Japan, it's great that everyone wears these masks when they catch a cold, BUT almost nobody washes their hands with soap after using the washroom, so it feels like a moot point. I'm not joking: I have worked in five different schools when I was an English teacher, then two companies when I worked as a translator, and what I noticed was that almost no dudes would wash their hands with soap after using the washroom. I'd guess maybe 10% of people used soap - usually just other foreign staff members. It was disgusting. If they noticed that I was in the washroom too, they'd maybe wash their hands with just water for about 2 seconds.

That's definitely gotta be the reason why pretty much the entire office catches multiple colds in fall/winter. It doesn't help that nobody takes sick days when they're sick either.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wish it was more of a thing in the United States, esp considering how many people think it's cool to engage 'hero mode' and come into the office when they are sick.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I wore it one time with my beanie and hoodie. Looked surprisingly stylish.

I got sick for like a month straight about a week after coming to Japan. Everyone probably thought I was a dumb gaijin for coughing and shit without a face mask on.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I live in Australia and haven't had a cold in 5 plus years. I don't wear a mask. Colds can't get past the giant spiders or raging bush fires though to be fair.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've worn these before as a white guy in the US. No issues.

I've also worn a purse since 2010 and literally no one has ever said anything to me. Just do what you want.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually seen it quite a bit here in NWI. Doctors offices actively encouraging people to wear them with signs and verbal reminders when they notice your cough seem to be slowly getting it to be proper protocol when sick in public.

It's still not as common as it should be though. They also work better for those that are sick to contain their initial cough and sneeze ejections than those who aren't trying to get sick where the aerosol forms of said sneezes and coughs can go through the sides of the mask and get on your skin for possible other infection vectors.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's got pretty normal in my workplace and I'm in the US. They keep them on the end caps for employees, but I see folks in the office wear them from time to time.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
A Chinese coworker of mine came in one day wearing one, said he was sick and he didn't want to spread it around.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Wish this was more common. About the only person in my office who wears one but once i start hearing a MF coughing it goes right on. Plus at least mine loosk cool, its a light blue BAPE mask that matches one of my shirts as well. Cost more than one should but whatever lol.

EDIT: This one!
Bape-ABC-Camo-Face-Mask-Blue.jpg

Last edited:

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Would be better if people could/would stay home when they are feeling sick. The masks only keep your germs in a lil but they don't keep you from getting sick. You need a gas mask for that

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Because Japan. I don't know how much you know about...

Forget it lol

Every week there's a conbini that gets jacked by a guy in a mask and sunglasses. Photosensitive asthmatic JP citizens would be shot on sight in the US :(

There is no more sense behind this mask fad than the idea that Blood type dictates personality. I'm sure that some weebs will roll up to kick up dust lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video is informative:

Basically:
1) To not spread viruses
2) To protect oneself from viruses
3) Hay Fever, there is pollen everywhere near the end of February and can last through May

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I found in Korea it was a fashion statement and in Japan it was more people trying not to get sick.

I lived in Korea for 4 years, it was 100% for both of these reasons. Some people wear it for fashion, but it's also something people wear when they're sick, when something is going around, or when the AQ is awful. Doctors would actively encourage you to wear them.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
It's super common in Thailand as well. But it has as much to do with pollution as it does with being sick.

I wore one once and everyone treated me like I was nuts though.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious if kids in school where them? As someone who's formerly part of the "never get sick club"...all bets are off once you have kids.

This is the weak link as almost everyone I know now gets sick from their kids. I'm curious if the people who this would wear masks as home as well?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
They're worn for three reasons:

1. You're sick and don't want others to get sick.
2. You are surrounded by sick people and you don't want to get sick.
3. You want to go incognito and don't want to be seen.

I lived in Japan for like five years so there ya go.

This many times over. Koreans and Chinese wear them too.

Yeah, it's these reasons, although you forgot one. Allergies, specifically cedar and pm2.5.

I'm curious if kids in school where them? As someone who's formerly part of the "never get sick club"...all bets are off once you have kids.

This is the weak link as almost everyone I know now gets sick from their kids. I'm curious if the people who this would wear masks as home as well?

Yes, even children at school wear them.

Wearing them at home can be helpful, especially in winter because the air is dry and wearing them keeps moisture in, some even are medicated to help with sore throats.

Status
Not open for further replies.