• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Senate Democrat says Republican colleagues are privately asking him to congratulate Biden on winning election because they can't do so publicly

Delaware Democratic Sen. Chris Coons said Tuesday his Republican colleagues are privately asking him to congratulate President-elect Joe Biden on winning the election because they can't do so publicly.

Washington (CNN)Delaware Democratic Sen. Chris Coons said Tuesday his Republican colleagues are privately asking him to congratulate President-elect Joe Biden on winning the election because they can't do so publicly.

Coons told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on "New Day" that it's "past time for Republican leaders to stand up and say, 'We should accept the results of this election.' "
"They call me to say, you know, 'Congratulations, please convey my well wishes to the President-elect, but I can't say that publicly yet,' " the Democrat claimed Republicans have told him behind the scenes, and he didn't cite any Republicans by name. "My job here, I think, is to continue to urge them privately to do the right thing. And to help the President accept reality and to help their caucus stand up publicly because frankly the transition is going to be chaotic at best if it doesn't get moving very soon. It should be under way already."

Are they terrified Trump will throw a fit and launch nukes or something if they don't break the news to him slowly?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Man, this dude just took over their party in 4 years. Crazy stuff.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yeah, the moment they publicly support biden their base will revolt. not that that should really stop them. but that's why.

the gop as the party of republicans ceases to exist. it's the cult of trump now

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I saw that live. They're kind of stuck. Can't break ranks, but don't want to burn bridges with Biden. Gonna be a lot of shuffling around I think.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure how this reads as anything other than a party that is fundamentally, foundationally broken

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the president or the GOP leadership that's preventing them from congratulating Biden.

It's the fact that they're all fucking cowards who don't deserve to be in public office.

That's what's really stopping them.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ this reality is so fucked. Half of this country is in the thrall of someone so incredibly stupid and self serving. The rest of us just sit there in terrifying amazement.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
How pathetic it is to be a grown ass adult and you still need permission to speak.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely pathetic. They could show some god damn actual leadership and take back control of their party, but they will let our democracy flounder as half the country is convinced this election is not over/was a fraud

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
"Daddy Turtle, can I congratulate the President-elect?"
"No, you can't. Our Dear Leader has forbid us. Tell the fake news media that the election was a sham".
*grumble*

Cowards, the lot of them.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Insane, but also a reminder that elected Republicans generally like Biden. Too bad that won't do us any good.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hilarious and disturbing that these GOP Senators (and Representatives) will have to bend the knee to Trump long after he leaves office.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is this, high school?

"Hey, can you see if Kelly is interested in me at all?"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize Republicans don't actually have autonomy.

Grow a fucking spine, GOP. End this. You have the power to put this whole election to bed, just use it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
"Not allowed to?" How fucking old are these people? Is the president their fucking mom?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
They still need Trump for the runoffs. They will turn on him as soon as he leaves.
I don't expect that to be the case if they want to keep the 71mil people that voted for Trump engaged in the political process. I expect they lean hard into Trumpism even without their lord and savior in office.

The GOP is now the party of Trump, not the part of conservatism or the tea party or even hidden racism. It's all Trump and it'll be that way for a long time.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is bullshit to feed the narrative that secretly Republicans are reasonable and worth reaching out to and working with. In regards to legislation they feel the same way as Trump so they can take thier "secret" congratulations and shove it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Keep screwing over Americans you cowards. They have nothing to hide from at this point. What in the fuck are they doing?

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I don't expect that to be the case if they want to keep the 71mil people that voted for Trump engaged in the political process. I expect they lean hard into Trumpism even without their lord and savior in office.

The GOP is now the party of Trump, not the part of conservatism or the tea party or even hidden racism. It's all Trump and it'll be that way for a long time.

I mostly agree with this. I don't see 'Trumpism' being as effective without Trump at the helm though. Say what you will about his governing competence, he is an effective demagogue.

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly, why keep their names secret? Call them out.

Like we shouldn't be letting Republicans who stood behind Trump 100% now have their cake and eat it too.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I mostly agree with this. I don't see 'Trumpism' being as effective without Trump at the helm though. Say what you will about his governing competence, he is an effective demagogue.
He'll be at the helm of his own news network, with the GOP taking marching orders from there so they can keep the millions that would flock to such a network.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
I forget what it is that garners respect in a person nowadays, is it because they have the courage of their convictions or is it the opposite of that?