• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I have to come clean.

I have not turned on my Switch for more than 15minutes in the last 3-4 months. I have Odyssee, BoTW, Rabbids, Hollow Knight and I think some other digital games.

Now the game I am looking forward to the most is 2-3 years out again (Metroid, if you didnt figure it out).

So, I figure, why not sell it, while its probably near the best resale value, and hedge my bets that a new model will come out before any games I feel I need to have come out.

Anyone in a similar boat?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Honestly yeah if you find a buyer for like 200

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't play it then yeah, it's best to sell it early in its life before the newer revision is released.

RABicle

Banned
Feb 18, 2018
Western Australia
Does it spark joy?
zlo7j7r79haseglydqvr.png

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I'm kind of new to the Nintendo environment, but is there a way to keep your account and digital games if you sell your system? If there's a hardware refresh, I would definitely be keen to trade up, but otherwise I'm really loving the Switch.
Good question - I have no idea. But, it's Nintendo, so id wager a nice big maybe, a little weighted to the you cant move them.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing the same tbh. I bought Smash Brothers Ultimate and after unlocking everyone I have probably turned it one twice. The game is great but its just not the same for me and with Metroid being so far away selling it seems like the best option.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my launch Switch and regretted it until I bought another one. However, I can see why you'd sell it if the only game you'll want to play is years away and you don't care about your current save files (unless you pay for Nintendo Online).

You won't regret it when Bayonetta 3 comes out?!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've regretted every single console trade-in/sell-off I've ever made but that's just me. Go for it I guess.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I would keep the device if it still has the hardware exploit. Mostly because I like to mess around with homebrew at the end of a lifecycle.

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I sold my launch Switch and regretted it until I bought another one. However, I can see why you'd sell it if the only game you'll want to play is years away and you don't care about your current save files (unless you pay for Nintendo Online).

You won't regret it when Bayonetta 3 comes out?!

Yeah - a bit (re: Bayonetta). And TBH theres prolly a bunch of other good ones I might miss out on temporarily... but if theres a hardware revision I would hate to be stuck with one after it's announced on top of all the other reasons

PS: Ok, I do really like Boyonetta, but I'll just have to get it whenever I buy the replacement, I guess

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If you only want to play Metroid, sure.

Pokemon is my favorite series so no way.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go for it, i'm in the same situation on which both Switch is basically gathering dust. I don't sell my hardware though

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, yes. Nintendo really, really needs to hire more people and make more games, like pronto.
Their first party output is pretty good, its the lack of third party that's the problem. Honestly, if you're not in soley for Nintendo's games or indies, its probably not the system for you. Third party support has been pretty abysmal and its not going to a whole lot better. There's Doom, MK11, and some older ports, but not much else. For me, Nintendo's offerings are enough for me to enjoy the system, but I'm still left wanting some bigger third parties to jump on board and make some games specifically tailored to Switch, something unique. That and if the SNES games would release sometime soon, that would be nice....

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
For me, Nintendo's offerings are enough for me to enjoy the system, but I'm still left wanting some bigger third parties to jump on board and make some games specifically tailored to Switch, something unique. That and if the SNES games would release sometime soon, that would be nice....

Its crazy how many exclusive 3rd party games the wii got, some of which are extremely good and made use of the hardware. That same imput seems to have been missing ever since.

The switch needs a Boom Blox or Red Steel 2 type game. I know ubisoft already gave us Mario+Rabbids but i kinda expected more. In fact just make red steel 3.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
How about this: Wait until the upcoming Nintendo Direct, and if nothing that's shown interests you, THEN sell it.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Daemon x Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc

Nevermind that we're only in January. We don't know everything for 2019 yet.

I'm excited for yoshi and fireemblem
, curios about fireemblem.

But I honestly do want a new action IP by Nintendo this year, something cool like metroid idk.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're going to buy another when Metroid Prime 4 comes out?

What if some must-have game is announced for 2019 or 2020? It's not like we know about most things in development.

Does the presence of the Switch in your home suffocate you?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Sell away.

Hardware's only value is relative to its use. If you're not happy with what you've currently got but feel you might be in the distant future, there's no harm passing it on until the day comes that you want to reinvest. This is particularly true of 2019's titles don't interest you, which at this point are only Yoshi with a concrete date, and Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, DAemon x Machina, Luigi's Mansion, and MUA3 with vague launch windows.

Plus, we all know Nintendo is going revise and re-release the Switch. It could be a trivial revision, but even if it's just the base system with better battery life or a nicer screen, buying the hardware again later gives you the chance to have the "best" Switch for the time.

So yeah. Unless you feel like something might release this year, or the next couple of years, you'll really miss and have to buy the system immediately for, I don't think there's any harm in letting go. I've long since learned to stop holding on to shit I don't use.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah since a new model is rumored this year. Even if it isn't, its better to sell things if you need the money and think you won't have anything to play until later. Later in the year there's going to be a lot more games and stuff too.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Thread whining
These threads are so meaningless

Cant you decide for yourself?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I sold mine late last year and haven't regretted it yet. I bought it at launch and used it often in the first year, but 2018 was extremely dry and when I looked at the slate for 2019 there was nothing that really interested me. With Metroid Prime 4 pushed back over the horizon, a Persona 5 port unannounced, and still no release date for Bayonetta 3, I think I'll be perfectly fine waiting for a hardware upgrade and a few good game releases to build up before I buy another one.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say wait a couple of months for this year's direct before you make a decision like that. The value of the thing isn't going down that early, and you'll be making a more well-informed decision.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I've had mine since mid 2017 and only played Zelda and Mario Odyssey. This weekend I've decided to sell it because there is just nothing I'm interested it. Not even sure I want to play Metroid, not really a fan of the Prime series. Well maybe I'll get the new revision when Zelda arrives in 2022 or so lol

Jul 20, 2018
Gato Roboto is coming out this year though and that's close enough to Metroid.

But yeah if you're really sure you won't be playing it just sell it now and buy a new one when MP4 does come.