• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2017
US
I like the little comedy injection when the bell-wielding giant with the pack of dogs catches you with that bell slam.

Wolf is clearly rattled by the noise of being trapped in the bell and just stands there for a sec making sounds before dropping.

Oct 25, 2017
Game is probably the best this gen, at least for me, but man who thought it was a good idea having to fight bosses with mandatory consumable?

You either get lucky in 2 tries or, if you mess up, you have to come back end game when these bosses are not threat at all, Awful game design, just awful
They're not bosses, though, just minibosses. I don't see the problem with requiring consumables to fight optional enemies. I even think it's a smart way of forcing players to move on with the game and come back when they're stronger. Look at how many people refuse to come back later to Lady Butterfly when it's clearly not expecting you to fight her on "level 1", considering how much easier Gyoubu is, and how you can't even use the reward of her fight until much later, let alone the kunai prosthetic.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I spent three hours last night on Genichiro, refused to go to sleep until I did it. Almost wept at the end after finally doing it and getting so close on the third phase quite a few times.

My question is, am I insanely bad to have taken 3 hours? I feel like I wasted the first hour or two until I finally understood how to clinically beat his first two phases. I'm looking at average completion time being 20 hours or something and I figure I'm looking at like 50 hours if I keep getting stuck on bosses this long. I'm hoping it's a one off but I took a long time to beat lady butterfly too :(. Still loving the game though.

here's a tip, when he's just attacking with regular strikes you can strafe and get a bunch of hits in. do that a couple of times then parry his big combo or two and go in for the kill. The phases go by way quicker than just trying to parry everything he does

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
They're not bosses, though, just minibosses. I don't see the problem with requiring consumables to fight optional enemies. I even think it's a smart way of forcing players to move on with the game and come back when they're stronger. Look at how many people refuse to come back later to Lady Butterfly when it's clearly not expecting you to fight her on "level 1", considering how much easier Gyoubu is, and how you can't even use the reward of her fight until much later, let alone the kunai prosthetic.
It's really not. I had 6 confetti. I lost in 3 tries almost winning them and using 2 confetti each.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the particular item is super rare. So basically know I am gonna ignore until end game and beat them to a pulp being OP.

Not really great design

Dec 6, 2017
US

If this game has taught me anything, it's to just give mini-bosses the finger if I can't beat them after a few tries, return later and crush them.

Well, not that mega-bitch Snake Eyes but anyway...

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I finally beat Lady Butterfly.

I still think she's a cheesy boss. Her first phase is fantastic but all the shit they throw at you during her second is gratuitous and overkill.

Still love the game but fuck her.

Now I need to go kill that Bull.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. I had 6 confetti. I lost in 3 tries almost winning them and using 2 confetti each.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the particular item is super rare. So basically know I am gonna ignore until end game and beat them to a pulp being OP.

Not really great design

theyre endgame enemies dude, you were just trying to fight them early.

You'll have more fun if you stop obsessing over when you "should" fight an enemy and worrying that it's "bad design" if you fight it at a different time and just play the game how you play it. It's designed for you to try things in different orders, and explore, and come back to things.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Just learned that you can use Mortal Draw even without spirit emblems. Well, that's gonna make my day.
I wonder if that's an oversight. I know From likes to be deceptive but the description being flat out wrong seems weird.

There is a tooltip saying you can always use combat arts, but without spirit emblems it has reduced effectiveness.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Go after Seven Spears first. He's a skill check. Once you learn his moveset and how to counter it, you'll be ready to face the real boss of the Castle. Spears is one of the hardest bosses of the game, period, but once you learn him, you'll have the skills you need to handle most other bosses in the game.

Do you talk about Seven Ashina Spears? Is he really that difficult in comparison to all the other bosses? I didn't have any trouble at all with him and I always read about people having problems with him so I am confused if I fought the correct one. It's the one where Kuro was at the begining of the game, right?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I just ran into that hideous magician beast thing in the following area last night:

Bottomless Pit

I'm not even sure I've noped the fuck out of a place harder and faster even in Bloodborne. That thing actively scared the hell out of me.

Oct 25, 2017

Not really great design

I used more than 6 until I was able to beat the Headless for the first time, and by that point I was also properly leveled for the other Terror enemy I've found before but didn't have the courage to fight.

I also like that the item is rare, gives the fights more weight, it's better than having 5 million Dragonrot curing stuff when Dragonrot never even happened since Lady Butterfly. I'll have to actually trigger Dragonrot on purpose on later playthroughs just to see the dialogue.

I went back to try the Headless every time I found more Divine Confetti, and I don't regret it.

If this game has taught me anything, it's to just give mini-bosses the finger if I can't beat them after a few tries, return later and crush them.

Well, not that mega-bitch Snake Eyes but anyway...

Right, it's the first time I'm having that experience in Miyazaki games. I usually just keep bashing my head against the wall because I like the challenge and the reward will likely be worth it. Those enemies say "nope, you're coming back later". And I really like that.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
in the room after the
poison pools in ashima depths, where you fight the 2 apes if you get that fight

where was the dungeon one again, I cant find it lol

Either the well you started the game in, grappling up and dropping down to where it is.

Or from the starting idol, go down below where the zombie things are, down the side passage on the right. Leads to a second idol called bottomless hole or something like that.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Not really great design
Once you progress far enough you can buy confetti at every vendor. That's your cue to know that you are ready to take them on. The confetti you find in the world is just a bonus so you can try and take them out early.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Flu fucked up my body pretty badly and my reflexes are absolutely shot, so no more attempts at
Owl
for a little while. Anyone have any good strategies I can take a look at and try to memorize while I'm healing up? So far I've been just trying to keep moving and avoiding his larger moves and his debuff attacks, but that kind of doesn't give me any good opportunities for actually hitting him.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just ran into that hideous magician beast thing in the following area last night:

Bottomless Pit

I'm not even sure I've noped the fuck out of a place harder and faster even in Bloodborne. That thing actively scared the hell out of me.
That was easily one of the best moments in the game to me, so far.
Couple that with the NPC's lines being straight out of The Enigma of Amigara Fault, and I was genuinely scared.

PrgHYVd.jpg

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Flu fucked up my body pretty badly and my reflexes are absolutely shot, so no more attempts at
Owl
for a little while. Anyone have any good strategies I can take a look at and try to memorize while I'm healing up? So far I've been just trying to keep moving and avoiding his larger moves and his debuff attacks, but that kind of doesn't give me any good opportunities for actually hitting him.

you can always punish the debuff and the jumping attack.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Until a mod comes out that color codes or does something to disguising an incoming unblockable and if it's actually unblockable, like a sweep vs a thrust, I literally won't be able to complete some of these bosses

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Owl
it's my own fault for clicking, but this is the kind of spoiler that should be marked "end game" or with the name of the area something :/

i'm guessing the ability to mark spoilers with some explanatory text exists on this site for a reason

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Not really great design
You can farm plenty of confetti in the Ashina Dojo waypoint with Mibu Sphere of Items + Bloodsmoke.

Dec 6, 2017
US
That was easily one of the best moments in the game to me, so far.
Couple that with the NPC's lines being straight out of The Enigma of Amigara Fault, and I was genuinely scared.

It took me quite a bit of courage after I literally ran down a corridor to get away from it. I eventually jumped down there thinking I could stealth it after I noticed there'd be an easy grappling out if shit got dicey. Oh my god, that thing went buckwild immediately and I freaked out hard wearing headphones.

I did manage to grapple out but have no idea how I'm going to fight that eventually.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Owl

Get him into a corner and just press R1 and sometimes dodge if he gets out of the animation.

Phase 2 is the same except that you have to watch out for his poison. If he gets out of the corner then try to lure him into one again.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Do you talk about Seven Ashina Spears? Is he really that difficult in comparison to all the other bosses? I didn't have any trouble at all with him and I always read about people having problems with him so I am confused if I fought the correct one. It's the one where Kuro was at the begining of the game, right?
That's the one. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game, but he's easily given me the hardest time. Once I beat him though, I've beaten every other boss I've encountered within about 15 minutes of meeting them.

Oct 25, 2017
It took me quite a bit of courage after I literally ran down a corridor to get away from it. I eventually jumped down there thinking I could stealth it after I noticed there'd be an easy grappling out if shit got dicey. Oh my god, that thing went buckwild immediately and I freaked out hard wearing headphones.

I did manage to grapple out but have no idea how I'm going to fight that eventually.
I did beat it last night, it was a really cool fight with a nice reward.

But yeah, probably around 20 hours from the moment I saw it for the first time to the moment I actually beat it. :D

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It seems strange that dragon rot is tied to death and not resurrection... wouldn't it make more sense to punish resurrecting than punish death? That would lead to more interesting dilemmas and choices for the player i think :/

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Got the three items, took
2 headless and 2 shaman
down, did a bunch of
underwater diving
in the various zones, I dont think I have anything else to do besides go back to the
"new" castle

I dont want it to end :(

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the one. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game, but he's easily given me the hardest time. Once I beat him though, I've beaten every other boss I've encountered within about 15 minutes of meeting them.

Wow it's crazy to see what everyone has problems with. Backstabbed that motherfucker and just fire punched him twice, got a few hits on them and then he was dead and I had Attack Power 2 back then where as I had way more problems with other bosses.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It seems strange that dragon rot is tied to death and not resurrection... wouldn't it make more sense to punish resurrecting than punish death? That would lead to more interesting dilemmas and choices for the player i think :/
Well you're reviving either way and From games punishing death are nothing new. DeS has Soul form and DS 1-3 has hollowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.