• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game great? Considering waiting for a deal, but I'm a huge fan of souls games, I know this is a little different, but still intend to play it eventually... or is it definitely a play it NOW kind of thing?

It's one of the best action games ever made as far as I'm concerned. A game of the generation contender. I actually don't think I've ever played a game this intense.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Ok so question regarding a seemingly big decision with the young lord

He wants to sever the ties of healing magic but I can't obey his orders because I swore the oath to father, leaving me only with the choice to protect the young master. However will this abruptly end the game or something and can I alter the choices so I can obey the young lord's request? There are a few areas I have yet to explore so maybe that will open up the quest? Really hoping this isn't the end of the game but want to know how I should proceed without straight up looking it up

Any help would be really appreciated.
I second this.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
so far I only have one of the end-of-skill-tree abilities (not shadowrush) and it also looks nuts and seems very strong. a lot of these skills seem very cool—i struggle working most of them into my rotation, though. especially the ones that cost spirit emblems

like, for most of them, I'd rather just be deflecting/slashing. hoping I find the right niche for more of them

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I caved. Bought the PC version. Downloading now. You can do this... you can do this. *sigh*

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Any strategies for the Ashina Castle boss? I can regularly get him down to the end of his first gauge but I just can't really seem to outlast him. Any moves or tricks that help make it a little less daunting?

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested in this game.....all depending on difficulty

I beat and loved bloodborne and dark souls 3. I found them very hard and overall stressful games. Is this the same ? Or slightly easier ? I dont know if I want to suffer again. I honestly felt like it was not healthy to play those games and the overall stressful feeling I had the entire time playing.

Also, envieontments. Is there vast and varied landscapes similar to the other mentioned games? Or is it all very similar? No spoilers please.
First of all, it's not a Soulsborne game. Cant grind your way through it, can't cheese bosses with broken builds, none of that. When you fail, you just have to learn to do better yourself, Wolf himself can only improve so much (and yeah, there are some very useful skills you can buy, but nothing that will drastically change his basic combat performance). So it's much closer in spirit to Ninja Gaiden than Dark Souls. And yeah it's pretty tough. Definitely NOT easier than BB or DS3. It's a fantastic game, but you've got to be willing to fail A LOT and learn from it.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about the lack of Summoning, but Invading would be so incredible in this, my god.
Yeah but this game hasn't been made to be balanced for any player on player action, you have far too many options to account for, it's like asking for VS mode for a dmc game that somehow has to work with reviving and players would just fuck that mechanic over and make it completely useless since they won't walk away.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
So I just beat the General, and was exploring the nearby cliffs...

and I got killed by a huge huge snake. What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck

That part is probably the most ''cinematic'' part of the game, it's kinda on-rail to be honest, feels like one huge set piece. You'll know what I mean.

lol its not my video, even said I need to grind to buy that skill.

Let's just assume I'm talking to the future you.

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't defeated Lady Butterfly but I've killed the Chained Ogre, then some Genral. I've gone past the giant snake and met the horseback-riding boss. Got my ass kicked

I guess I'll call it a day

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
As a Souls veteran, I feel as lost with this game as I first did when playing Demon's Souls. There are mechanics and enemies that I do not understand yet. I might need to look up a guide or something, but so far I am a bit frustrated albeit enjoying my time.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
nah. a lot of the time the killing blow can put you in harms way.

Nah. The generous amount invincibility during the execution animations, and your ample ability to maneuver around individuals in a mob, make group combat perfectly manageable. Especially when you add in the abilities that are specifically tailored to helping you deal with groups. Hell, it is downright enjoyable.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna finally get a chance to play this game for real after work today, but I've been reading through this thread and have a question about groups of enemies: is it totally viable to just jump in an utilize the tools the game gives you to take out large groups, or do you have to stealth cheese?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Lady Butterfly is reminds me of Lady Maria, just much more fast and agile, holy shit.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
wow I definitely recommend doing the quest for the guy near the horse boss, the reward is awesome (and also makes me wonder how much other stuff I'm missing)

a whole new skill tree for an overhand weapon art that unlocks upgrading damage after deflections and thats just level 2
Whats the name of item you received? I need more info to look this up.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The generous amount invincibility during the execution animations, and your ample ability to maneuver around individuals in a mob, make group combat perfectly manageable. Especially when you add in the abilities that are specifically tailored to helping you deal with groups. Hell, it is downright enjoyable.
The invicinlity doesn't matter when you have a moment without invincibility after where you can't move

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is this game great? Considering waiting for a deal, but I'm a huge fan of souls games, I know this is a little different, but still intend to play it eventually... or is it definitely a play it NOW kind of thing?

Play it now, it'll get easier in the future and the experience won't be the same, right now everyone is going in blind and it's awesome sharing experiences online.

Also it's very different than Souls, VERY different. If you play this like you play Souls you'll literally never beat it. It does not work like Souls, at all.

Lady Butterfly is reminds me of Lady Maria, just much more fast and agile, holy shit.

Lady Butterfly is what happens when Lady Maria gets old, a killing machine with over 50 years of experience.

MagitekDad

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone having trouble, you absolutely cannot play this like Bloodborne or Dark Souls. Learning to deflect and mikiru is pretty much required. Once you get that down you WILL start feeling like a badass.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that every attempt to kill even the mini boss requires me to spend 15 minutes clearing all the other enemies first. Then within five seconds the boss kills me.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
reposting for new page since it was at the bottom:

just found my first "invisible wall", it had a prayer bead inside too, so now im obcessing over how many ive missed lol.

for those that want to know: travel to
Ashina Castle Upper Tower, in the first big room you go to with the patrolling blue samurai, kill them all etc, then in the room to the right, there are a couple of samurai armor stands with a scroll in the middle. hug the scroll, and you flip to the other side.
If anyone knows any other secret walls, please share with us fam (spoiler tagged for the sensitive)
Oh my god... now I have to go back through the whole game and hug every wall, don't I?!

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Make sure you're properly timing the deflect and not just blocking. You'll know because there will be more orange sparks on a deflect. Also sometimes you can't get a counterattack in after the deflect; it's more just for good posture damage. Keep swinging your sword at him until he deflects, then get ready to deflect his attack, rinse and repeat.

Okay. I think I just still need to get used to what indicates a deflect vs a regular guard and the animation cues for when enemies are open for a counter attack. I'm used to the Souls formula of a big noise happening and a big window after successful parries, and that's what happens after posture KOs now instead so I just need to learn the new system.

the first general? terrible advice, but once I started fighting him more focused on evading than parrying he fell down first try.

Be sure to try to stealth attack him so you can have one of his HP orbs out.

It was the second one. Barely squeaked by, managed to throw some ash in his face right before he KO'd me and I got him first. But that was after a stealth attack getting rid of the first HP bar. Not sure how I'm gonna far when I don't get to stealth attack first.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Is there a point where dudes will stop respawning like in the souls games? Once I get hit once or twice I like to rest up.

Oct 25, 2017
Hirata Estate is Firelink Graveyard all over again, going by some of the reactions, including my own.

You'd think 10 years of Souls would prepare us for this, but nope, we're idiots. :D

Died more in Hirata Estate than in my entire first playthrough of Bloodborne, for sure.

This is beautiful and how you fight in this game. This fight took me about 20 tries but when I beat her it looked clean just like this(except I used firecrackers instead of Shuriken)
Wait, what? That works? In the exact same way?

Oct 27, 2017
just found my first "invisible wall", it had a prayer bead inside too, so now im obcessing over how many ive missed lol.

for those that want to know: travel to
Ashina Castle Upper Tower, in the first big room you go to with the patrolling blue samurai, kill them all etc, then in the room to the right, there are a couple of samurai armor stands with a scroll in the middle. hug the scroll, and you flip to the other side.
If anyone knows any other secret walls, please share with us fam (spoiler tagged for the sensitive)
Don't know if that's the place your talking about,
but right after Drunkard there's one on the left side of the house

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly I really hope From patches in an optional easy mode. That way people that find it too hard can still enjoy it, while others like you can just play like normal. everybody wins!

From Software won't ever do this...once they go down that road there's no going back and people will want that in every game developed by them

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez this game is hard, so much harder than BB XD, but I'm having fun with the combat so it's not too frustrating right now. Fighting multiple enemies though is where the difficulty feels a little cheap, combat system just doesn't feel like it does well in those situations with the camera and lock on becoming a pain. Most my deaths during the Drunkard fight were because of trying to get rid of the mob first, once I got into a nice one on one it was cool but having to get rid of those around especially with the arrows shooting at you was difficult. Still though, a few hours in now and it's pretty damn good so far.

ZORt0lC.gif
Arrow guys can be easily killed by shurikens in long range. Also sekiro runs so fast that's very easy to bait out enemies from the group to clash one on one. Amazing gif as always!

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Stuck on Genichiro Ashina. Can't deal enough posture on this super a-hole of a boss so have no idea what to do here. Every guide tells me to use axe and counter him to build up posture. But his posture is regained insanely fast anyway. ....??? So wtf am i supposed to do here...???

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone having trouble, you absolutely cannot play this like Bloodborne or Dark Souls. Learning to deflect and mikiru is pretty much required. Once you get that down you WILL start feeling like a badass.

Yeah this guy knows how to fight. Good video; hopefully it will help people who are trying to play a little too passively.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yay time to farm fucking more shit to refill my special attacks

fuck off game! just what i wanted to do after failing a boss for 4 hours

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, im just gonna delete this game. Such a damn shame I cant get a refund anymore. I got to the butterfly lady and honestly, I have zero idea what the fuck I am supposed to do. Her attack pattern is literally just jump everywhere, hit 10 times in a row (some hits do damage and some dont?) And throw a couple of knifes at you. The game told me to use B to dodge her attacks but I dont understand why? Its not like her pose is gonna fall when you uselessly dodge around. Parrying is a death wish since her one combo kills you and there is no fucking way you parry all her hits. Also my weapon doesnt seem to do any damage to her for some reason?

This really soured me to from. The story so far seems pretty bad so its not like that is gonna keep me going.

EDIT. I just watched a walktrough which is a 10 minute video where the player pretty much hits her once, runs around, hits once rince repeat. Is this seriously supposed to be fun?

Gotta say the meltdowns in here have been giving me life.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I cant help but laugh when people compare the amount of enemies to DS2 spam. The dynamics are nowhere near the same.
Gonna finally get a chance to play this game for real after work today, but I've been reading through this thread and have a question about groups of enemies: is it totally viable to just jump in an utilize the tools the game gives you to take out large groups, or do you have to stealth cheese?
Its very doable but you have to be skilled and quick on your feet or else youll get smacked in 2-3 hits. Using stealth to take out a few isnt cheese so much as its a built in way to lower the game's difficulty in combat.
The invicinlity doesn't matter when you have a moment without invincibility after where you can't move
I did notice this a few times. Sometimes I can block incoming attacks sometimes I cant.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm interested in this game.....all depending on difficulty

I beat and loved bloodborne and dark souls 3. I found them very hard and overall stressful games. Is this the same ? Or slightly easier ? I dont know if I want to suffer again. I honestly felt like it was not healthy to play those games and the overall stressful feeling I had the entire time playing.

Also, envieontments. Is there vast and varied landscapes similar to the other mentioned games? Or is it all very similar? No spoilers please.
ds3 and BB are the easiest of the soulsbourne series...this is way harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.