Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
you lose half your money and half your xp towards the next skill point. you cant lose the "banked" skill points tho it seems, so its probably better to grind weak enemies for a skill point if you are close to getting one to bank it before you die.
Wait so you mean if you are a couple points away from getting a skill point then you get enough points and to get it and die you keep the point?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the Ogre

Use your items! They're all useful, especially attack+ sugar and ash. Ash gives you a lot of openings against the ogre, even interrupt perilous attacks

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Can you expand on this? I respect the Soulsbourne games, but I don't find them particularly enjoyable to play for long periods of time, so I've been looking curiously at Sekiro for a couple of days to try and work out if I'd feel the same way about it or not as the combat looks quite different, but it's hard to tell from videos.
i only meant that i think the game plays pretty differently. There's some FROM staples there for sure, the difficulty for example. But your rolls/dodges won't help you here. There's a different mind set to engaging with enemies in this game. And to be fair, they do a pretty good job tutorializing what to expect in this game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
How many coins are in the coin bags? You can "save" money by buying them from a vendor.

Also, when do the vendors restock?
100 in the little, 500 in the bigger. I haven't popped the even bigger one yet but I'm assuming 1000. If you're carrying a lot of money you can buy those from the vendor but you're losing just a little bit each time you do. However, that might be better for you to lose 10% in safe keepings as an item than 50% of your earnings from death

Really unsure about the restocking of things.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How useful is the slide? In the trailer, he dodges an arrow but it seems like a pretty situational move

Mid-air Deflection seems a better all-around skill

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
you lose half your money and half your xp towards the next skill point. you cant lose the "banked" skill points tho it seems, so its probably better to grind weak enemies for a skill point if you are close to getting one to bank it before you die.
How does the coin purse banking work? I use them once, and then I get to keep the money once when I die? Next time I would need to use more coin purses again?

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I don't understand what people see in this game :|

Huge Bloodborne fan I feel like so far this is a step back in everything.
I'm fairly early just beat the ogre but it just feels very unsatisfying to me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
How does the coin purse banking work? I use them once, and then I get to keep the money once when I die? Next time I would need to use more coin purses again?
Just put all your money in coin purses and if there's ever something you need to buy pop only the amount you need. That's the strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not feeling this game at all. It is certainly becoming very difficult about 3-4 hours in but man, the hand-holding is REALLY ruining the experience for me. The reason I play these games is literally to have no idea what to expect (I went into Sekiro 100% blind, haven't even seen a trailer or more than two screenshots) and on that front this game is pure ass. Boo. Will see how it all shapes up further into it, but first impressions are very poor indeed especially in contrast to the recent perfection of DMC5.

Edit: Oh right. I should probably remap the controls because shoulder buttons for these sorts of inputs is probably not helping my enjoyment. Jumping on Square and parry on Cross here I come!

Can you remap the controller bindings on the PC version? I'm at work right now so can't check myself....

I'm really not a fan of D-Pad Up for "Use Item" since you often need both your thumbs while fighting and it sucks to let go of a stick just to heal up.

Steam Controller or any other gamepad with paddles is amazing for these games for that exact reason.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Can you remap the controller bindings on the PC version? I'm at work right now so can't check myself....

I'm really not a fan of D-Pad Up for "Use Item" since you often need both your thumbs while fighting and it sucks to let go of a stick just to heal up.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This combat system. It's technical, precise, with tons of room for improvisation and creativity like Ninja Gaiden Black. Impactful and brutal like Bloodborne. All while retaining that high-stakes-high-tension feel of the Souls games. I can't get over it. Wow. Just wow.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Gyobu on my first try. Surprisngly he is the first boss I ever beaten without dying. Firecrackers, grappling hook and parrying his slow attacks really make a quick work out of him.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm not feeling this game at all. It is certainly becoming very difficult about 3-4 hours in but man, the hand-holding is REALLY ruining the experience for me. The reason I play these games is literally to have no idea what to expect (I went into Sekiro 100% blind, haven't even seen a trailer or more than two screenshots) and on that front this game is pure ass. Boo. Will see how it all shapes up further into it, but first impressions are very poor indeed especially in contrast to the recent perfection of DMC5.
It's so weird but I know we all look for things in games differently than one another. Dmc5 to me was a gigantic let down and Sekiro is mind blowingly awesome. I WISH dmc5 could have the world and level design Sekiro offers. That would be the perfect game.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Edit: Oh right. I should probably remap the controls because shoulder buttons for these sorts of inputs is probably not helping my enjoyment. Jumping on Square and parry on Cross here I come!

Hand holding?

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D:D:D:D:D

D2R3KXuW0AA8acG.jpg

D2SDkldW0AAxuvb.jpg

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
(Early game like 2-4 hours in)
I was under the assumption that the area i'm in is just the next place I was supposed to go but from seeing some other posts I'm thinking it's optional or a place I should go back later?

should I come back to Hirada Estates later? I went there right after getting the bell when multiple NPCs told me to bring it to the sculptor/buddah. The only prosthetics I have are the axe and shurikens. Getting whopped by the Drunkard lol

Oct 25, 2017
To the Nth degree. Every item I pick up gives me a huge popup explaining what it does, every story beat gets a huge popup explaining exactly what it does mechanically, ugh. One of the biggest parts of me liking the From games was the lack of any of that. This game goes the complete opposite direction and I hate it.

It's so weird but I know we all look for things in games differently than one another. Dmc5 to me was a gigantic let down and Sekiro is mind blowingly awesome. I WISH dmc5 could have the world and level design Sekiro offers. That would be the perfect game.
I'm honestly not even liking the world all that much. To me, From peaked with Dark Souls when it comes to world building and nothing I have seen in Sekiro so far (early, to be fair) has been anywhere near that in terms of level design. But yeah, DMC5 to me is all about Bloody Palace so the levels in that game having nothing else going for them was a complete non-issue for me, heh.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Beat Gyobu on my first try. Surprisngly he is the first boss I ever beaten without dying. Firecrackers, grappling hook and parrying his slow attacks really make a quick work out of him.
Grats!!!! That should really be the first major boss everyone goes after. And not butterfly.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Unfortunately after 9 hours I may have to just give it up. Can't beat the drunkard or the ogre so pretty much nowhere left to go lol. I suck at video games in general so dunno what I was thinking buying this. About ready to just quit gaming in general.

Clear your mind.
Make sure your topped off on health that way if he catches you and smashes you, you will live. That will give you time to run away and reassess and heal. Instead of dying. Then it's just dodge, chop chop. or dodge dodge chop chop. Plink away be patient. Stay topped off on health. I hear he's weak to something particular. I belivie i had two swigs of the gourd by then.

Thanks, it was driving me nuts last night!

I may actually give this a shot and try it out. Parry being on L1 feels cumbersome for me for some weird reason.

With the other fromsoft games you are on the ground trudging along in melee. There is no flying about like tarzan. This scheme allows me to use the infinite stamina, and sprint to boot scoot out of trouble while being able to turn the camera, to see where safety is, or whos behind me. It's not just utilitarian either, it genuinely makes the entire traversal system more pleasureable.

I'm cheesing more in this than I ever did in any Souls game I think. Lot's of stealth kill -> run away -> reset aggro -> stealth kill etc. No shame tho lol.

also always sneak in a stealth deathblow on the minibosses. Just took down the
ogre
, still only 3 prayer beads so I havent upgraded my health, both the
ogre
and the
guy with the poison sword
1 shot me so thats...a thing.

It lets you learn the game, so in few, when you gotten good you can show everybody whos boss. Several times i waltz into a room, saying to myself - i got dis - only to scamper out a few seconds later, bloodied, the whole world going to shit, and looking for a place to hide and lick my wounds.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Anybody attempting to play with the HUD off yet by the way? I feel like grappling would be a total bitch seeing how distances are hard to tell and sometimes what you can, and cannot, grapple onto?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the game so far. Haven't played much (beat the first real sub-boss I think) but I like that stealth is actually a smart option. Combat is super fun but tough. My only complain is the frame pacing on the base PS4 version, especially coming from DMC5, which ran with smooth 60 fps. My god. I really have to get used to this and hope that From Software improves a bit on it. Game is gorgeous looking, but I'm really dreading faster encounters with multiple enemies with that choppy framerate.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
(Early game like 2-4 hours in)
I was under the assumption that the area i'm in is just the next place I was supposed to go but from seeing some other posts I'm thinking it's optional or a place I should go back later?

should I come back to Hirada Estates later? I went there right after getting the bell when multiple NPCs told me to bring it to the sculptor/buddah. The only prosthetics I have are the axe and shurikens. Getting whopped by the Drunkard lol
Do it now.

The NPC is a huge help for the drunkard. Try and take out all the regular enemies (granted it will be tough with the drunkard breathign down your neck), then go talk to the NPC when only the drunkard is left. The NPC draws aggro and can stagger him quite easily.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Go there first until you get a new piece of equipment that will make the ogre easier. Enemies have hinted at what his weakness is.

Thx. I have that item. Gonna try the prior linked cheese method too and try using the item. This game gonna be a grind, so far in a mostly good way. Thankful for all the early help and thank god for YT tips already. Miss summoning. Japan gonna full dragonrot by the time I am done.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Spend hours wiping on the butterfly and finally gave up and went the other direction..... Killed the horseman 1st try! So much easier. I have damage up now so that might help upon my return

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
This combat system. It's technical, precise, with tons of room for improvisation and creativity like Ninja Gaiden Black. Impactful and brutal like Bloodborne. All while retaining that high-stakes-high-tension feel of the Souls games. I can't get over it. Wow. Just wow.

Yes!!!!! Been waiting so long for a successor.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spend hours wiping on the butterfly and finally gave up and went the other direction..... Killed the horseman 1st try! So much easier. I have damage up now so that might help upon my return

I died (the actual one) 4 times to her then gave up. I'm gonna try finding the horseman too then coming back. I can do the first segment of lady butterfly but the second segment is tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.