• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, obviously I'm talking about their most recent games lmao. I know games like King's Field exist. I guess I should have been more clear.

I just don't like Sekiro because it throws away everything that I loved about Dark Souls and their previous games ... mostly the character customization, RPG mechanics, large number of builds and a story told completely through level design and not cutscenes. If you like the game, good for you. I'm not trying to change your opinion.

I'm sorry for saying how I feel. I'll try not to offend you next time.

Some people are getting way too personal. I'm totally up for a discussion on the strengths/flaws of the game. There's no need to dismiss someone with a dissenting opinion as a "troll". Honestly, that list of flaws that was posted is pretty factually accurate, and I can totally understand why a lack of what appeals to you in the other From games would make this a disappointing experience. But I think the games strengths easily outweigh any negatives for me.

My recent From ranking would be Dark 1 > Bloodborne > Sekiro > Dark 3 > Demons > Dark 2. If I played Demons on release it would be higher I'm sure, but I've been day 1 for all of the others.

May 10, 2019
Personally I was pulling for Death Stranding but I enjoyed Sekiro and honestly I've really liked everything From Software has done in the souls style (and really beyond that - Armored Core, Lost Kingdoms, 3D Dot Game Heroes) so getting this kind of recognition is way overdue. Totally happy with this result.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
The most deserving winner. Favorite game of the year. Best Miyazaki game too.

HxnqJyz.gif

OMO7Maf.gif

rGbEZFt.gif

2V0Gp8t.gif

credit to SunhiLegend for the gifs

this combat alone is goty.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Sekiro was massive for me. It's the first From game I beat after years of bouncing off them. After I finally slayed the Sword Saint Isshin, I beat Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1, and got halfway through Dark Souls 3 before I needed a break. This game is tremendous. And it got me into an area of pop culture that I had a huge blind spot for.

Sekiro got me into Dark Souls. Dark Souls lore got me interested in Miyazaki's inspirations. I checked out the Berserk manga, which led to me going on a massive manga binge that saw me complete Dragon Ball, Akira, Lone Wolf and Cub, Monster and more since it came out. I'd been trying and failing to get into anime for years, I could never find time for it. It finally clicked that I could just read the manga way faster and it was off to the races.

And it's all because of this gorgeously crafted Game of the Year.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
While Death Stranding was my pick this year, I definitely can't be mad about this result. Did not see this coming at all. Such a fantastic and incredibly built game and very well-deserved. Congrats to Miyazaki and From Software!

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
About time, should have been Bloodborne but I've already made my peace with it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's probably the best choice. RE 2 is a remake and IMO should not win because of that. Death Stranding is my GOTY but too divisive to win. Control is good but nothing special. Sekiro is the one nominated game that I have absolutely zero interest in and is not for me at all, but seems to deserve it most based on reception.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are getting way too personal. I'm totally up for a discussion on the strengths/flaws of the game. There's no need to dismiss someone with a dissenting opinion as a "troll". Honestly, that list of flaws that was posted is pretty factually accurate, and I can totally understand why a lack of what appeals to you in the other From games would make this a disappointing experience. But I think the games strengths easily outweigh any negatives for me.

My recent From ranking would be Dark 1 > Bloodborne > Sekiro > Dark 3 > Demons > Dark 2. If I played Demons on release it would be higher I'm sure, but I've been day 1 for all of the others.
True.

The issue with the argument is that every From game has a list of flaws. But they are all great games despite them, and they each have their own fans for that particular blend of game design offered. Sekiro is no different. It just happens that the critics were unanimous about the game this time around in comparison with the competition.

To say that Sekiro is only winning because of a lifetime achievement award and not because the game itself is good and the critics felt it deserved it is just ridiculous.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, obviously I'm talking about their most recent games lmao. I know games like King's Field exist. I guess I should have been more clear.

I just don't like Sekiro because it throws away everything that I loved about Dark Souls and their previous games ... mostly the character customization, RPG mechanics, large number of builds and a story told completely through level design and not cutscenes. If you like the game, good for you. I'm not trying to change your opinion.

I'm sorry for saying how I feel. I'll try not to offend you next time.
You don't like Sekiro because you look at it with Souls glasses on. You have to force this in your brain that Sekiro is not a Souls game and From Software should be allowed to make different action games that is not Souls. Get rid of that Souls mentality, that was the number 1 mistake alot of people make when they try to play Sekiro thinking its a Souls game.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised it won goty at the TGA. I was not expecting that at all since From usually never wins there

Sep 22, 2019
Yup totally agreed. Resident Evil 2 was amazing, but Sekiro was a total brand new experience. Although Sekiro is best experienced on PC so unless you haven't played it on PC then I would agree that it might not feel as good given From's poor optimization skills...

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Grats to FS, really enjoyed the game although the last couple of bosses were really testing my skill and patience. Took me a few days, lol.

If your making a sequel, please include a summons or something,

Regards
Ageing gamer

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Honestly this is the first time I disagree with TGAs since 2014. But then Dragon Age Inquisition was awful and Sekiro is not. My choice was RE2 and second was Smash. But I'm so, so happy for Miyazaki and From. Seeing him up there accepting this award was awesome.

It does feel a little bit like a DiCaprio (he had better roles and From had better games) but in a not as standout year they give out the legacy award. From deserves great things and I'm happy for the team. Elden Ring hype.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised! I was expecting DS or Control, but seeing Sekiro get the W was cool. It's not my favorite FromSoft game, but is certainly in the top 3 for me this year, so it's all good. :)

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the love of RE2 here and many outlet.

You know it's a cut corner game at the starting point of scenario B, and it's not just stop there.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am pleasantly surprised. Sekiro is my goty too and quite possibly my gotg. Miyazaki's best work I'd say. Nice to see it getting a big award. But where is my Elden Ring trailer Miyazaki!!

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Just as shocking as God of War beating out RDR2 last year. Figured DS would most certainly get it. Sekiro was amazing though, so they certainly deserve it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Well deserved. My GOTY and top 3 game of the gen for me. Original combat which was incredibly good. Good change of pace between action and stealth. Grappling was fun as hell. Memorable boss fights. Memorable environments. Only negative was the difficulty made it less accessible to many...and that's too bad.