Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
God, I love shit like this. I was also getting a kick out of the whole layout of The Simpsons' house. I remember drawing a floor plan of Nancy's House in A Nightmare on Elm Street after people kept on saying the second-floor left-side front windows belonged to Nancy's room and I was major confused. There's some strangeness with that house too. I'd imagine a lot of fictional houses have strange layouts. In the Marvelouse Misadventures of Gumball, the Waterson house is two floors, but from the exterior, the second floor is barely a floor rather than attic space, but in the interior, it's a full-sized second floor. Reminds me of Scooby-Doo's doghouse in A Pup Named Scooby Doo, which was a normal doghouse on the outside and a sprawling mansion on the inside.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Outside of who sleeps in what room upstairs and wether or not theres a downstairs bathroom, the Simpsons house is pretty concrete.

Oh, and the stairs to the basement act like the room of requirement and appear only when you need them :)
You're one of the only people in the world who thinks that the Simpsons house architecture has any consistency to it whatsoever. You and The RealJims---

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
a08a763bcf49c24ef9be34ed225b41f5.jpg
this is actually a really nice illustration lol

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
God, I love shit like this. I was also getting a kick out of the whole layout of The Simpsons' house. I remember drawing a floor plan of Nancy's House in A Nightmare on Elm Street after people kept on saying the second-floor left-side front windows belonged to Nancy's room and I was major confused. There's some strangeness with that house too. I'd imagine a lot of fictional houses have strange layouts. In the Marvelouse Misadventures of Gumball, the Waterson house is two floors, but from the exterior, the second floor is barely a floor rather than attic space, but in the interior, it's a full-sized second floor. Reminds me of Scooby-Doo's doghouse in A Pup Named Scooby Doo, which was a normal doghouse on the outside and a sprawling mansion on the inside.
Is this the thread where I mention how many times I've drawn the floor plan of the Wayne Manor?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there's a small foyer or something inbetween the door to the hallway and the door to the apartment?

Oct 27, 2017
The more I look the more I'm sure none of those fan made layouts match the set. The angles don't look right in actual shots from the show. I'm guessing this model is closer than those. From what I can tell this matches the set picture that was already posted, with the only difference I can see being the side walls being extended out a few more feet in the actual set.

jerry-seinfeld-larry-david-signed-seinfeld-apartment-set-replica-beckett-bas1-t10373036-1600.jpg

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
You ever look at real estate MLS listings and look at a floor plan, and then look at pictures, and think it doesn't make sense. Where was that picture taken? From what angle is that shot? Sometimes they will use a lens that makes a room look bigger and it makes it really difficult to figure out where on the floor plan the picture was taken.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
7918386-D-ED1-A-4914-B480-3-A9-C0-B6-CAC6-F.jpg

Here's the actual set. A completely straight hallway looks entirely possible.
On a practical level, deep down, I understand Seinfeld is filmed entirely on sets, but on an emotional level I find this picture deeply unsettling. It genuinely bothers me to look at lmao

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Gonna fuck you all up.

Sam's office in Cheers can't exist in its configuration, because the way it depicts the bar, outside of his door doesn't line up.

The set actually had a wall that moved, so essentially the main bar set became Sam's office:

sams_office2.jpg

angle.jpg
oh SHIT. I wonder if any photos of the set actually show the differences, as in, when a shot is in sams office shown from the bar...

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
How did Kramer afford to live in NYC without a job?

My head cannon was that it was rent controlled. My rent controlled mid-1990s Upper East side one bedroom NYC apartment cost us (working wife and me) $2200/month. I could never have afforded it if it wasn't controlled. I had a parking garage space that cost almost $1000/month.

Oct 27, 2017
Found a better set pic. I guess all those layout pics are wrong that have the kitchen squared off with the rest of the living room, or that have a wall right behind the stove.

qSGNSo8.jpg

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Don't do this, you'll make yourself crazy. I've seen 30 years of Simpsons forums arguing about the layout of the house and the existence of the "rumpus room". Just let it go.
The rumpus room pretty much always exists because of the back windows of the house. It's just in a weird corner of the house that is vaguely defined. The basement and the attic are far more mysterious.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah when they design these sets they don't really know or care about the context of the building they're in. Pretty sure the exterior they use for the building was chosen randomly and the set designers didn't know what it was gonna be. Not to mention that there's a lot of space used up there that doesn't look like it would fit in the building they use for the exterior. Plus where does Kramer's apartment look out onto? Because we already know Kramer looks out onto the street too because of Kenny Rogers Roasters, but at the same time the location of the exterior shot has it sandwiched somewhere that couldn't possibly have a backside on another street.

Another show that bugs me is the set of The Honeymooners. Their apartment door is right next to the main window. And the window looks out onto a view of another apartment full of windows. Google image search "Honeymooners set" to see what I mean. And if you look at the "real location" of the apartment it makes no sense given the layout and location of the hallway.

Don't forget that the interior of the house on Full House doesn't fit into the exterior shots. Or the house on Family Matters. Or any house on any show for that matter. But especially Full House. Google it. "Full House set" and "Full House exterior". It's ridiculous how narrow the house is but the sets make it seem like they live in a McMansion. Even more on the reboot.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Isn't it technically canon that Paul Reiser from Mad About You owned/rented the apartment, kept it because it was his original bachelor pad and gave it to Kramer because he didn't need it anymore. Maybe it was a condo and he just signed it over to Kramer.
That's weird because George and Susan watch an episode of Mad about you in bed... so is it actual Paul Reiser that gave Kramer the apartment or his character from the show?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
A) Why are there windows in the bedroom, and in the bathroom over the sink where a mirror would be?
B) What is Kramer's apartment layout in this regard?
C) We already know there's buildings on the left and right side of their apartment building attached to it so there's no where for a window to the outside in the bedroom to even be except above the bed which in this picture it is not.
D) Did we ever see Jerry's bedroom?

This diagram is so flawed it's not even funny.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Full house too. Those houses in that area are fucking tiny.
I mentioned this. Google it and you'll laugh. Those row houses are super narrow with absolutely no room for what the set shows. There's a bay window on the front next to the front door, a window that disappears when you go inside and is occupied by the stairway to the second floor. There's windows at the back of the set, i.e. the left side of the house where there's a small narrow opening, that aren't on other adjacent houses in the same style. Plus the front door window design is completely different from what you see on the exterior shots.