• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
You mean like the various everdrives beeing poorly engineered and potentially killing your systems through poor voltage protection?

And Krizz basically going with « nah they're fine »?

You misread René's article, they absolutely will not kill your system. He was highlighting a design flaw - one that will accelerate wear and tear over a long period of time because you're essentially driving the system out of its specification. The entire point was that there is a simple electrical solution to the problem - one that has now been implemented in all of Krikzz's carts that can easily remedy this.

The carts that will damage your system are the multicarts and bootlegs that people have been happily using for years. But whatever I'm sure this is comparable to Terraonion's broken products and miserable customer service.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
You misread René's article, they absolutely will not kill your system. He was highlighting a design flaw - one that will accelerate wear and tear over a long period of time because you're essentially driving the system out of its specification. The entire point was that there is a simple electrical solution to the problem - one that has now been implemented in all of Krikzz's carts that can easily remedy this.

The carts that will damage your system are the multicarts and bootlegs that people have been happily using for years. But whatever I'm sure this is comparable to Terraonion's broken products and miserable customer service.
I'm equating average rgb out (which is easily fixable) with what was slowly (but surely) killing your system. I mean, People have been using Gotek drives for years without realising that the lack of protection on the 5v line could fry their motherboard. It hasen't happened to them so I guess it's fine and there'S no need to spend 4 times the amount on a proper solution like the HxC because "meh, it'S not that bad"'?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm equating average rgb out (which is easily fixable) with what was slowly (but surely) killing your system. I mean, People have been using Gotek drives for years without realising that the lack of protection on the 5v line could fry their motherboard. It hasen't happened to them so I guess it's fine and there'S no need to spend 4 times the amount on a proper solution like the HxC because "meh, it'S not that bad"'?

Any new Everdrive you buy today from Krikkz is perfectly safe, This is no longer an issue

[ARTICLE] - The Dangers of 3.3V Flash in Retro Consoles

[ARTICLE] - The Dangers of 3.3V Flash in Retro Consoles

From Krikzz
Original topic about this question were accidentally removed, but sense of this topic it two words sound like that: Rene's sensational "research" were based on wrong numbers, by some reason he decide that CMOS device current limits is 5.2mA per pin, but JEDEC specification clearly says that CMOS device current rating is 20mA. Old everdrive carts without level translators has around 7mA load per pin, and this is notably less than max acceptable 20mA, as we can see.
I say it to Rene in comments to his article, but he just ignored it. Anyone can read my comment in his article here: https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/13/ac-analysis-of-clamping-diode-effect-in-5v-to-3-3v-mismatch/

Stop spreading FUD please

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Glad that Krikzz's solution is almost ready.

TerraOnion are cynical arseholes for their Andorra stunt and their bad customer service reputation and childish feuding on social media speaks for itself; I am never going to give them money while there are alternatives to their products.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
32x would require an fpga that can run two sh2 cores (and someone to develop that core ) and a cart that has a video pass through. Not saying it's not possible, but no one will ever do it to support the non existent number of 32x titles that are worthwhile on that system.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Thankfully the 32x is fairly cheap and doesn't have the ticking time bomb of an optical drive. No huge loss.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Define "fairly cheap" because it's usually over 100$ US with no games/box/cables
Well, that's a lot less expensive than the Krikzz or Terra Onion devices and allows you to play genuine 32x carts as well as backup carts. Adding 32x support would likely drive up the price even further, and I'd rather have original hardware because it's more flexible.

And is an integral part of the tower of power.

It's not like we're talking Super Grafx prices here (which incidentally the SSDS3 can't emulate either).

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The SSDS3 not having SGX support is puzzling because, well, it's just one extra chip compared to the regular PCE. Especially since the CD Drive adds no special functionnality and is just one large cart for all intents and purposes.

32X would be a tad bit more complicated and would probably mandate a larger FPGA than the Cyclone IV used by both Krizz and Terraonion.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
32X probably isn't worth the additional expense on one of these carts. Most people will experiment for an hour and realise the Chaotix has no coherent level design to speak of, Star Wars is too hard and that there are about 50 better ways of playing Doom and then never touch it again. Let the die hards have their mushroom shaped VR Deluxe player.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
Krikkz's effort looks really impressive! The bonus is amusing but actually quite a big addition. SMS save states are also a big plus, the Mega SD doesn't have these unless they added it recently. Standard cartridge form factor means this will look nice with the dinky Mega SG.

The price point is also a lot more appealing than the Mega SD's and comes with no surprise customs charge in the EU (the whole Andorra debacle still leaves a sour taste but I won't get into that now.) After currency conversion to USD for comparison's sake and taking into account the customs charge it's roughly $130 cheaper!

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
I've currently got the X7 and a model 1 Mega CD but the other features make it a worthwhile upgrade. Also I can give my SCD a break although it has a new laser and drive belt.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't know if I should jump on this right away or hold out for the annual sale in November and risk there being a shortage by then....

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I've currently got the X7 and a model 1 Mega CD but the other features make it a worthwhile upgrade. Also I can give my SCD a break although it has a new laser and drive belt.
I have two Japanese mega cd 1 (I absolutely love the look of the original Japanese Mega CD). Drives work for audio tracks but can't launch games. I guess both need new lasers (belts seem fine) what's the best place for those?

I also have a Japanese megacd2 and a US JVC X'Eye where can I find good lasers for those two?

thanks and sorry for the derail

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
I have two Japanese mega cd 1 (I absolutely love the look of the original Japanese Mega CD).

Oh for sure, the Japanese Mega Drive 1 and Mega CD combo is in my opinion the coolest piece of gaming hardware ever made.

I guess both need new lasers (belts seem fine) what's the best place for those?

I also have a Japanese megacd2 and a US JVC X'Eye where can I find good lasers for those two?

thanks and sorry for the derail

I'm actually not sure as I lucked out and the guy I bought it from had already replaced the laser and installed a region free bios, I've sent him a message and I'll get back to you.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh for sure, the Japanese Mega Drive 1 and Mega CD combo is in my opinion the coolest piece of gaming hardware ever made.

I'm actually not sure as I lucked out and the guy I bought it from had already replaced the laser and installed a region free bios, I've sent him a message and I'll get back to you.
Something about that blue reset button ;-)

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
LOL @ him having to tweet this because people expected it to be more than just a novelty that you play for a bit then never again.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
He kind of set up expectations with that though so it's partly on him
He labelled it as a "little bonus" in the video. People just don't think. It's why I laughed at it when I posted the video.

On a separate note, it's funny that one of the Terraonion guys went off on Twitter this weekend about ikari not licensing the SD2SNES to them and then deleted his twitter account. lol

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He labelled it as a "little bonus" in the video. People just don't think. It's why I laughed at it when I posted the video.

On a separate note, it's funny that one of the Terraonion guys went off on Twitter this weekend about ikari not licensing the SD2SNES to them and then deleted his twitter account. lol
TO make great products but they are toxic nerds to the core.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
TO make great products but they are toxic nerds to the core.

From an outside perspective it's amazing they aren't more self-aware. They are many people's last choice for products like this for good reason. After SSD3 I said I'd never buy anything else for them but now MODE comes along and here I am.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's why I waited for Stone Age Gamer to get the Mega SD in, and not buy it from Terra Onion directly. It's a great device...I'm kind of glad I didn't have to deal with TO directly to get one.
Dunno

ordered my Mega SD during the Thanksgivings 20% promotion and got it 3 days later

was I dinged customs by DHL? Yes but as a Canadian I'm used to it and would have had even higher custom fees on top if paying more from SAG

Which is why I wish Krizz made a neogeo SD solution that he would sell directly on Amazon, would be much cheaper that way for me. Especially if he cam add NeoGeo CD support like TO did with the NeoSD Pro

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Review of the Krikkz device:

Looks really good. Costs less than the Mega SD, has more features and will be more readily available.

No pre-order, sales will go live in the next week or two.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand MLP

His voice is incredibly annoying and his facebook group is a dumpster fire

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I only posted it because Krikkz retweeted it and I thought people might be interested. No idea who they are, but it seemed informative to me.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

The site crashed though. People may want to hold off for other retailers like his Amazon store and reviews of any problems/quirks.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Think about what it does, though:
MD/Genesis/32X flash cart
Master System/Game Gear (maybe?)
Virtua Racing/SVP
An entire Mega CD
NES (!)

Realistically, the only thing they could possibly add to it is if it included 32X hardware in there somehow.

To buy the non-subsidised starter board here in Australia with that FPGA it costs $281AU, which is what the MDPro works out to be. So price is about right.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Review and then comparison to the Mega SD. Hopefully it won't take long for the bugs to be fixed as well as multiple .bin support.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

Review and then comparison to the Mega SD. Hopefully it won't take long for the bugs to be fixed as well as multiple .bin support.

It was mentioned in that video you can't get the cd enhanced audio for Pier Solar with it/without an actual Sega CD and audio disk, but in the video krikzz put out going over the features of the Mega Everdrive Pro it demos and even has "Pier Solar with CD audio" as a feature. Think the oversight is related to the other thing you mentioned, lack of any kind of multiple .bin support, requiring you to make one file versions of things, which then work on this.

youtu.be

Mega EverDrive PRO functions overview

Watch the video to the end (:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of that Game Sack review involved user error given SMS FM audio and Pier Solar enhanced audio have been demoed as working already.

Can't say I care if dodgy dumps of games with wav or mp3 files work or not.