• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stay in Australia and try to find a stable job first. Get some qualifications or education if you don't have those. I wouldn't move out of the parent's place without getting that job first. Australia has too many good benefits, like the DSP you're getting, to move out to another country, even if we are on fire right now. That you could save that amount of money also speaks to something going right for you in Australia.

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh yes. I tend to forget just how wonderful minimum wage is here.
It is very concerning, and I don't think I have the skills to end up in a non-minimum wage job.
I work in the ski industry and thus lots of Aussies and when they find out they're going to be making $13/hour the shock and disappointment is palpable.

Other than that though it's a great place to live, but we get pretty bad fires on the West Coast and in the Interior as well.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
NZ seems like a good first step. Once you're used to living away from home, you can reevaluate and take it from there. Plan everything well and you'll be fine.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
You would be better off moving to somewhere within Australia first before trying overseas. Especially if you want to keep the support payments, the chances of getting something similar in a foreign country as a new immigrant would be low

Oct 31, 2017
The stories about the fire have been upsetting. It's probably easier to see coming living there, but across the world, it's just something I heard of and now am following. BBC has been doing some good coverage of the whole thing.

Hope you get good advice here.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
You know the shire is just next door in new zealand right? Also sauron is gone so its pretty safe now. Very green and rainy

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think NZ would be your best option, then Canada. It's also cooler and alot greener then Aus. I was located there for 6 months last year and I still cannot get over how stunning that country is. With Brexit on the horizon I don't think UK is a good choice.

Jul 9, 2019
I have an acquaintance with Aspergers (similar to Autism, I think?) who moved from NZ to the UK and is doing okay, I think. Has been living there for a couple of years now, but finding work and settling in was definitely a big challenge for him. He also went there with a friend and they already knew a couple of people. So he had a bit of a support network.

Also, finding an initial place to stay without work will be a challenge. I think they lived in hostel dorms for a good while. That will also eat up a good chunk of money and doesn't provide you with a lot of privacy.

However, speaking from personal experience, living in a different country can tough at times, but it is definitely worth it for the experience and personal growth. It will broaden your horizon significantly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I have an acquaintance with Aspergers (similar to Autism, I think?) who moved from NZ to the UK and is doing okay, I think. Has been living there for a couple of years now, but finding work and settling in was definitely a big challenge for him. He also went there with a friend and they already knew a couple of people. So he had a bit of a support network.

Also, finding an initial place to stay without work will be a challenge. I think they lived in hostel dorms for a good while. That will also eat up a good chunk of money and doesn't provide you with a lot of privacy.

However, speaking from personal experience, living in a different country can tough at times, but it is definitely worth it for the experience and personal growth. It will broaden your horizon significantly.
Asperger's is pretty much high functioning autism, (The definition is pretty much Autism but without speech delay)
It no longer exists in the DSM, it's just seen as autism now.
In truth, I was diagnosed with Asperger's, but it's now considered autism.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Make moving out of the country a long term goal. Try testing the waters by moving to another city and see if things are better there and you will still be able to save your safety net

Oct 28, 2017
There's a reason I pointed out NZ.
Not only is it close, both physically and culturally, Aus citizens appear to be more or less just let in without much hassle, as long as you aren't a criminal or whatever.
You don't even apply for a visa, they'll give it to you at the airport.

I honestly don't believe I would be able to get into any other countries. Maybe if I somehow manage to marry a girl from Canada.

Hahahaha, unlikely.

I have more specific experience working and studying in the UK.

The UK offers Tier 5 visas for people under 32 for two years. Eventually, you'll need to marry someone or get an employer to sponsor you for a Tier 2 - and the latter won't happen unless you are (postgraduate) degree qualified and working at a big firm. Disability certainly won't transfer, in any case and there are even pretty major issues with transferring retirement funds from the UK to Aus due to legislative restrictions.

As others have noted, if you think wages are low in Aus, you're in for a nasty shock. I loved living in London but the salaries there are terrible across the board and it can be a rough ask for people to have to live like sardines in share houses due to extraordinary living costs (also, it gets really damn cold). Plus, the weak AUD makes it difficult to stretch your savings currently.

I am going to make the blatant assumption that you may not be skilled or degree qualified which makes both your visa situation difficult and your earning capacity overseas limited. I would try moving to a different city in Aus. For all it's faults, I still love my home city of Melbourne - and it's faring a lot better than Sydney in the bushfires.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I get the feeling a few people aren't reading the OP correctly.
Yeah, I got the idea of moving somewhere colder and rainier from the UK, but that doesn't mean I wanted to move to the UK specifically. Canada would be difficult too. I specified about 3 choices, Either Melbourne, Hobart or somewhere in the NZ.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I get the feeling a few people aren't reading the OP correctly.
Yeah, I got the idea of moving somewhere colder and rainier from the UK, but that doesn't mean I wanted to move to the UK specifically. Canada would be difficult too. I specified about 3 choices, Either Melbourne, Hobart or somewhere in the NZ.
Are you sure it wouldn't be a good idea to move out close by to your family I.e the same city at first so you can get used to being in your own with potential support near by? You don't have to do a massive step like moving far away in one go, you can work up to it in smaller steps

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
You'll have a tough time moving across the world without job plans. Try moving out and finding a secure job around home first.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of eagerness but too little actual planning, OP.

I would suggest you to try and find a remote job. A bit number of startups and under 10 years old companies be working in technology are open or actively looking for remote workers.You don't need to be a coder to get one entry level job in customer service.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I've been planning my move across the would since early 2017. Not saying you should plan for at least that long but the job part should be rock solid before doing anything.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
As an American who three months ago decided blindly to apply for jobs in the Netherlands to see what would happen and is now moving there this month, I wish you the best!

However is does seem as though you should focus on baby steps first by moving out of your parents and just trying living on your own for sometime first. As others have said, it's a big step to move internationally and it can be very difficult without a desired skill set or other support.

I think moving to Melbourne would be a fantastic idea as that would help you gauge whether you like living on your own and you won't have to risk losing disability that way.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Escape from Australia sounds like the Snake Plissken/Mad Max crossover I never knew I always wanted.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Assuming I had a roommate (I'm asking a freind about this) and a somewhat inexpensive place to rent in western Sydney, would my disability pension alone be able to sustain me? This is assuming a worst case scenario in trying to find a job.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Assuming I had a roommate (I'm asking a freind about this) and a somewhat inexpensive place to rent in western Sydney, would my disability pension alone be able to sustain me? This is assuming a worst case scenario in trying to find a job.

I don't know how much you get for your DSP but generally speaking no. The DSP alone is generally not sufficient for long term. Short term definitely helps. Don't forget to apply for rent assistance and anything else you can get such as transition to work benefits etc. The NDIS may also offer some funding for self care or core activities.

My concern is if you try to take on too many things at once. If you aren't familiar with living out by yourself and handling household responsibilities you should prioritise that and maybe do it at home. Let your folks know you need to learn independence. Moving out is more than paying for food, rent and utilities. Replenishing household supplies and household chores are easily taken for granted. It all adds up financially and mentally in terms of fatigue and time.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Eh? Some of the advice in here is really weird. Telling someone who's autistic to just pack up and leave his family? What?

If you want to move just move within Australia. This will pass. You'll be safe as long as you're not living in the outback. Let's not pretend that Australia isn't still one of the best places in the world to live.

Every place in the world has its problems.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Eh? Some of the advice in here is really weird. Telling someone who's autistic to just pack up and leave his family? What?

If you want to move just move within Australia. This will pass. You'll be safe as long as you're not living in the outback. Let's not pretend that Australia isn't still one of the best places in the world to live.

Every place in the world has its problems.
It's not the present here that worries me (well, the apocalyptic fires aside), it's the future.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
The general response seems to be "It's not really doable unless you get a stable well paying job"

I'm probably gonna die here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is more of a condensation of things I've been talking about on Etcetera over 2019, and it's an attempt at building some concrete advice for my situation.
I'm also happy for others who are looking to flee to chime in and give their perspectives as well.
I want to leave this dry, yellow, fire ridden hellhole.
Ever since I saw the The UK and Ireland in 2018, I've been somewhat enamored with the prospect of escaping from where I live in Sydney and going somewhere rainier and colder, where everything is greener.
I wanted to do this for 2 reasons mainly, one, I enjoyed the atmosphere in those places a lot, and two, I fear greatly that much of Australia is gonna become near uninhabitable as climate change progresses.
The only places in Aus I can think of are close to Melbourne and Tasmania (I worry these places won't be good enough in terms of withstanding climate change, I hear Tassie is actually very dry), and to leave Aus entirely I feel my only option would be NZ (not actually a bad option at all, and I hear they just give you a permanent working visa if you are an Aus citizen over there, in fact Aus citizens seem to get away with a ton)
This bushfire season and the drought and the heatwaves have lit a fire under my ass. The smoke is choking.

But the idea of moving away out of my parents house feels near unattainable, much less moving so far away.
I have many issues with it, I feel I need 3 things to make the jump to move out in general:
1. Someone to move out with
2. At least a semi stable job
3. Savings

I feel I need someone to move out with, for both emotional reasons and financial reasons. I don't believe I have someone I can move out with though, much less someone willing to move so far. I also do not have a partner/girlfriend, and I never have, and I don't believe that trying to seek one out solely to move is likely to end up well.
I've never had a semi stable Job. I currently have a Pick Packing job that is Christmas casual and I will almost certainly lose at the end of January. During periods of unemployment I receive disability pension, as I am a diagnosed Autistic.
I have only the 3rd thing, savings.
My current financial situation is as thus:
[Hidden content]
Disability pension is a big reason for me to want to stay in Australia (I doubt I will receive it in NZ), the financial cushion it provides is immense, and being on the Autism spectrum, maintaining job security can be difficult, so the support is important. (I do however, believe that the Disability pension could end up getting cut eventually as climate change squeezes the worlds economy)
My other reason is family. I may not speak to them often, but I like simply being around them, and I know I can count on them. The emotional support of simply being around people is important.
I want to ask what steps does Era think might be best to fulfill my wishes. What should I aim for?
Just moving out IN Sydney would be a good first step I think, but even that seems a huge step.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I fear that the housing market is gonna crash eventually, but when is a mystery. I feel like buying atm could end in financial devastation.

Just posting so I can read the hidden content

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If fear is the issue, testing out a country with a working holiday might be the way to go? 1 to 3 months should help you test the waters a bit and see how you respond.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
Can't recommend the UK, especially not with the current political climate. Not only that but we're not exactly the most caring to people who need some additional support right now, never mind if you've just moved here.

Best of luck with whatever you do OP

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Tasmanian so I'll give a bit of info living from my end.

Hobart is dry, technically but, we run into no real shortage of water in the state really. Hobart is in Stage 1 water restrictions right now, for example, and that made a big deal on the news. I live further north, where it's wetter still, and the east and west coasts are usually very wet.

The biggest problem you're going to find with Hobart is housing. There is a housing crisis in Hobart, and finding an affordable place to live will be incredibly hard. In April, Hobart was more expensive to rent in than Melbourne. I'd look at places to live outside the capital, in Launceston, Devonport or Burnie, for the major cities (or the little towns in between). There's a lot of seasonal fruit-picking jobs up the north-west coast for casual work, but from my friends chatter about Launceston it's tougher for casual work (Disclaimer, they're not the most go-getting of people)

The cost of living is much lower here. I also receive disability, and I was able to move out into a small apartment solo in Launceston and live comfortably before I needed to move back home. It's cheaper up on the north west coast still, and then you have the really isolated old mining towns like Queenstown where you can literally purchase a house for under $100k.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plan ahead for a while and dont act on impulses.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm Tasmanian so I'll give a bit of info living from my end.

Hobart is dry, technically but, we run into no real shortage of water in the state really. Hobart is in Stage 1 water restrictions right now, for example, and that made a big deal on the news. I live further north, where it's wetter still, and the east and west coasts are usually very wet.

The biggest problem you're going to find with Hobart is housing. There is a housing crisis in Hobart, and finding an affordable place to live will be incredibly hard. In April, Hobart was more expensive to rent in than Melbourne. I'd look at places to live outside the capital, in Launceston, Devonport or Burnie, for the major cities (or the little towns in between). There's a lot of seasonal fruit-picking jobs up the north-west coast for casual work, but from my friends chatter about Launceston it's tougher for casual work (Disclaimer, they're not the most go-getting of people)

The cost of living is much lower here. I also receive disability, and I was able to move out into a small apartment solo in Launceston and live comfortably before I needed to move back home. It's cheaper up on the north west coast still, and then you have the really isolated old mining towns like Queenstown where you can literally purchase a house for under $100k.
Thank you.

When it comes down to what I want, I do currently believe that Tassie might be my most viable bet.

My panic aside, what I think I should do now is;
Get a job here in Sydney with some stability (Honestly, this will be the most difficult part)
Ask a friend of mine if they'd like to rent a house with me, and take the opportunity to learn independence
Take a short holiday to Tas to sort of scope the place out and see if I like it
Search for a Job there
Then maybe move into a sharehouse there (Or if I'm lucky, maybe I can convince a friend to go with me), then my own place if eventually possible.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.

When it comes down to what I want, I do currently believe that Tassie might be my most viable bet.

My panic aside, what I think I should do now is;
Get a job here in Sydney with some stability (Honestly, this will be the most difficult part)
Ask a friend of mine if they'd like to rent a house with me, and take the opportunity to learn independence
Take a short holiday to Tas to sort of scope the place out and see if I like it
Search for a Job there
Then maybe move into a sharehouse there (Or if I'm lucky, maybe I can convince a friend to go with me), then my own place if eventually possible.

A good idea! My parents took a trip down to Tassie just as an anniversary thing, but immediately on getting back to Canberra sold up and moved down.

From your description of the place you'd like to be, I'd probably recommend the North West Coast (Burnie to Devonport and its surrounds). You're not too far away from one of the 'major' cities of the state should you need its services (Launceston is about 1 1/2hr drive from Devonport, a bit over 2hrs from Burnie), it's cheaper than Launceston and Hobart to live, and it's more the climate you're looking for. If you want to live closer to a big city though, I'd recommend Launceston over Hobart, and for a cheap place to live that is 30min out of Launceston, look at Georgetown.

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think your first move should be straight to another country, unless you were to do it along with some kind of schooling/a situation where you would easily build up a new social network. Move out of your parent's place but stay close by in Sydney first, then slowly build your way up to a bigger move.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah, I really wouldn't rush into moving to the UK. I'm British and I like it here, but it's a LONG way from Australia - speaking purely logistically.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
#1 Don't try to anchor yourself to someone. If you want to do something drastic you need to learn to be on your own. Using close friends & family when your in a time of need is reassuring but don't make them your crutch.
#2 You very much need to start spending time on learning a trade/skill that will be of use for immigration
#3 If you're going to move, you're best to do it young as you'll be in a more flexible state to roll with what ever you're dealt with.

I moved from living with my parents in southern california to living in montreal canada when I was 19. I spent all my free time in high school learning how to program and luckily through a connection I was able to get a job for a studio in montreal (sure it was kid games but gave me a start). I've now been in Canada for 18 years. Personally I'd try with going to NZ for 6 months and see how things shake. It might be the easiest way to see how things will work out for you.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i think other than britons, australians are the most common immigrant i meet here in germany. i mean our culture is very different from australia, so i am not sure what the main appeal is since it's also a different language (why i'd think australians would immigrate to an english-speaking country), nonetheless, many are here. there's a lot of work opportunity in germany, so the only hurdle is learning the language, but from what i hear from australians, the actual process of immigrating here is very simple and they did not need a visa to enter the country and stay a few months either, they applied for it once they moved here already. not sure if it's true but that's what 1 australian told me