Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Wow... All the 2D art you posted is amazing! I wish the game actually looked like that instead of the basic 3D we got. :(

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I ended up pre-ordering this (digitally) for PlayStation 4. I know it's likely going to be slightly dumbed down but it's still a game that I wouldn't mind playing again. I thought about going through it on the SNES Classic but this was announced before I got to it.
its not a complicated game originally, what would be dumbed down?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Noticed that the trophies for this game are the same as Adventures of Mana EXCEPT there was no level up to 99 (unless I missed it somehow). That's good, that was the longest one for the AoM platinum.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
One of the trophies was eye brow raising though - get to level 9 in all weapons. That means you're going to have to farm for the orbs in the final area, and it could possibly mean the Sword could be raised to level 9 somehow as well.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, art looks great, 3D graphics not so much.

Hope this and the Switch 2D collection to well enough to warrant us a new entry that hopefully looks like the artworks!

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
The original game was a cake walk already as long as you kept your armor up to date. The late game is arguably the easiest portion of the entire game when you can just buff Randi up with Power Up and Crit Up and he just walks through everything with one shot kills.

OrinX

Oct 27, 2017
To make it more challenging Im gonna try to beat it at the lowest level possible. No Magic.

Deleted member 26462

User requested account closure
Oct 30, 2017
I just need a remake of Secret of Evermore like this ame...but with a good art style.

I would be so happy...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Do we know yet if the physical Japanese Vita release has an English text option?

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's good but not holding my breath.

Best childhood memory was multitap snes with my brother and cousin.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
one of my bucket list wishes is a SoM remake that ironed out some stuff, so here we are.

visuals... well, they are what they are. SE obviously isn't going to commission a high budget remake for this with HD sprites and all. just give me the original 'experience' and tickle the nostalgia bone and i'll be happy

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I pre-ordered the physical edition from Gamestop. I love Secret of Mana too much not to get it. I played a bunch of the original on the Wii with my daughter a few years ago, I'm sure I'll be able to get at least one of the kids to play it with me.

Too bad Gamestop sucks at delivery, they didn't ship until today. No release day delivery like BB or Amazon.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Preordered via GMG, wondering when I'll get my code. Freaking out that there's so many people on Twitch already playing it.

Armdog

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered via GMG, wondering when I'll get my code. Freaking out that there's so many people on Twitch already playing it.

I've been wondering the same. Despite the semi-negative buzz, I'm still pretty excited about the game. The original was one of my favorite games as a kid, so I have a feeling I'll be fine with this remake.

I saw someone in a Steam thread (I think that's what it was) mentioned they got their code for the game, but didn't say if it was GMG or directly from Steam.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up the phsyical PS4 ver. Excited to play through the game for the first time.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just need a remake of Secret of Evermore like this ame...but with a good art style.

I would be so happy...
Secret of Evermore is so criminally underrated that for years after it came out, the Lead designer would reflexively apologize whenever someone brought up that he made it. Its not fair darn it... ;_;

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Secret of Mana is one of my favourite games ever. But I'm going to wait on this. The new translation is the most exciting aspect for me.

Deleted member 39353

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Hooooly shit son! Just picked up the PS4 version from GameStop and I'm loving it. Plays fantastically, new music is fantastic, graphics are bright and colorful. Damn, ignore the haters this is fucking fantastic.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
No more spell chaining? Lame... but I guess that makes it like mobile's magic.

As long as the accuracy and evade stats aren't fucked like the movile version I'm ok with picking this up down the road.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
This game's going to get trashed in reviews unfortunately. Almost all of the criticism I'm hearing are about the presentation of it. I hope nobody passes on this solely because of something like the voice acting or music rather than supporting the game and then turning them off. The streamer I watched play this on Twitch a few days ago was near the end of the game and said he loved it.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of mixed previews and early impressions, but I still kept my pre-order of the physical copy from Gamestop since I figured it might be rare or expensive later. Not super thrilled about some of what I've seen but I think the core gameplay will still be enjoyable enough to give this a go-through in co-op with the wife, even if this wasn't the quality people were probably hoping for from a remake.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
No spell chaining? Damn, I'll actually have to try on some of the boss fights

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
No spell chaining? Damn, I'll actually have to try on some of the boss fights
AFAIK you can't repeatedly cast a spell on the boss to keep them locked until you do 999 damage. But magic when leveled up is still powerful. Bosses just have an opportunity to attack between casts now. On the plus side, you can hotkey a spell for both characters now (on R1/L1), so you can load up an attacking spell before the boss fight and recast it without having to bring the menu up.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I just dont get why they went for the Nintendo DS type of 3d graphics... someone tell me...

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I just dont get why they went for the Nintendo DS type of 3d graphics... someone tell me...
Much much much cheaper to produce than drawing HD sprites. Also they're adamant that the newer generation likes 3D models over sprites (roughly paraphrased from an interview with the lead developer I read a few weeks ago).

edit:

Were there any particular challenges in remaking a game like this?

The visuals are now in 3D, and so bringing it into that kind of 3D visual world was a little bit of a challenge. That said, looking into the future and where we need to take the series, we felt like it was the necessary approach, which is why we converted the visuals into 3-D for the remake.

I feel like, in some ways, there's kind of been a renaissance of that 16-bit, old-school feel in games. Why did you feel it was necessary to make this look more modern?

Of course, the opinion on that specific matter differs among people. But personally, looking at the younger generation--people in their 20s or even the new hires that join the company--a lot of them haven't had the opportunity to play games back then in their original form. So on a yearly basis, I have some of the younger crew members play it in its original form, but you can see that a lot of these players are more used to playing games in 3D. A lot of people aren't familiar with that 2D style anymore, it seems.

From an interview of Masaru Oyamada that Gamespot did

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-the-secret-of-mana-remake-isnt-on-nintendo-swi/1100-6456455/

Deleted member 39353

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I can understand complaints with the graphics (although I think they look great and very sharp and crisp), but complaints about the music are a little unbelievable to me. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I know secret of manas soundtrack is one of the greatest of all time and I'm sure people are just wanting it to be that again, but I love the new takes on the music.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Much much much cheaper to produce than drawing HD sprites. Also they're adamant that the newer generation likes 3D models over sprites (roughly paraphrased from an interview with the lead developer I read a few weeks ago).
I think a preference for models over sprites is pretty true for the Japanese market. They don't really have a pixel art renaissance over there, even most of their indie games use 3D models

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

edit:

From an interview of Masaru Oyamada that Gamespot did

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-the-secret-of-mana-remake-isnt-on-nintendo-swi/1100-6456455/
It's weird hearing sprites are more expensive than 3d graphics

Do we know this as fact or just assuming

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand complaints with the graphics (although I think they look great and very sharp and crisp), but complaints about the music are a little unbelievable to me. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I know secret of manas soundtrack is one of the greatest of all time and I'm sure people are just wanting it to be that again, but I love the new takes on the music.
You're going to have to take my word on it. When you're playing the game look out for the theme that plays in the Empire towns and the theme that plays in Tasnica. They are really really REALLY bad. The Tasnica theme sounds like it's going to be great, with a jaunty beat backed by hand claps that sounds almost Riverdance-y, but then out of nowhere middle eastern sitar/strings sound kicks in and then out of nowhere the song shifts to a chiptune version... Like it's so over the top random it feels like they had 5 remixes of the song ready and didn't know which one to go with so they just put them all in there. I agree that it is both hit and miss though. SOME of the updated songs that I heard sounded like pretty lovingly updated takes on the originals, but some of them were just wrong.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird hearing sprites are more expensive than 3d graphics

Do we know this as fact or just assuming
Yes, due to a couple of factors.

1. There are less talented sprite artists than there used to be due to the shift to 3D modeling.
2. 3D models, especially when they aren't extremely detailed, are much easier to create and animate. Animating sprites effectively takes a lot of time and effort, more than low-budget 3D models. Obviously this doesn't hold true for all 3D graphics, if you have character models like Uncharted 4 then they take a ton of time and expertise, but few Japanese games even attempt that level of fidelity with 3D graphics.