• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Had a dream that people were using marbles to stop police charges.

How do water balloons filled with paint do?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for them to wise up a little and start learning. Umbrellas are good makeshift shields and obscure visibility (plus it rains here). Wonder when we'll start getting more laser pointers (I'd rather not see this unless things get particularly bad because they can cause permanent eye damage) and rubber traffic cones to contain gas canisters, and also proper long sleeve clothing and goggles.

Had a dream that people were using marbles to stop police charges.

How do water balloons filled with paint do?

I'd imagine this would work well. It would not only reduce visibility behind the plastic shields but if you got it on a gas mask they'd be forced to take it off (and we know how much they love teargas). Get it on vehicle windshields and they'd be functionally disabled. Relatively harmless otherwise and doesn't need close range. Plus it would make for good photos.

I'm actually surprised to not see more drones to hover over them and make them nervous. I guess it's kinda expensive to lose one though.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Monday night:

www.seattletimes.com

'No sense of de-escalation' at crucial moment during Monday night Seattle protest, videographer says

The live-streamer who recorded a widely shared, street-level video of a moment Monday night when officers on Capitol Hill in Seattle began to shoot pepper spray and tear gas at demonstrators said people had for hours been passionately but peacefully protesting...
The live-streamer who recorded a widely shared, street-level video of a moment Monday night when officers on Capitol Hill in Seattle began to shoot pepper spray and tear gas at demonstrators said people had for hours been passionately but peacefully protesting police killings of Black people.
"There was no sense of de-escalation" by police at that apparently crucial moment, said Omari Salisbury, a Seattle-based citizen journalist with Converge Media who's been documenting the protests here. "The police are the professionals. They're supposed to know how to de-escalate."
In the video recorded by Salisbury, some demonstrators facing a line of officers across a barricade at 11th Avenue and East Pine Street open umbrellas to guard against the pepper spray some officers are threatening to deploy. Other protesters can be seen standing still, some with their arms up in the air. They'd been chanting, "Hands up, don't shoot," Salisbury said.
Then an officer grabs a pink umbrella, setting off a tug of war with protesters as other officers start to shoot pepper spray. The incident was also captured on another video from a view above the scene.
Officers deploy more pepper spray at protesters pressed against other points along the barricade. Some objects are thrown from the crowd, the aerial video shows. The officers deploy still more pepper spray, along with flash bangs and tear gas.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
We were saying this watching the progression from the France to the Hong Kong protests.
Protest technology, for want of a better term, is spreading through social media and spreading faster than ever.
It's really impressive how protestors have adapted.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portland was doing the traffic cone and pour shit into it maneuver over tear gas. Literally looked just like Hk does it.

Oct 25, 2017
He also points out that the officers learned from last night too. They are staying a few feet back from the barrier so they don't get spooked by the umbrellas (which set off the chain of events). So I guess that's an improvement.

Oct 3, 2019
Nice. Portland was also using traffic cones to snuff out tear gas rounds. It's really good to see the protests get more cohesive and using strategy. Hopefully it builds and builds getting bigger and smarter.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
All protesters need to adapt Hong Kong tactics
I'll repost it here

jqaQyRl.jpg

HdC7rR4.jpg

CwvpsnZ.jpg

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Umbrellas and Traffic cones, smart

Ok, they need to protect themselves from flash bangs next. Adapt!

Perhaps some tech from welding goggles to stop the blinding light?
Ear plugs to help stop the deafening sound?
And learning to brace yourself for the concussive force?

I dunno.

What do the cops and military do and wear to protect themselves when they set one off?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense that protests are starting to adapt more of Hong Kong tactics given that the peaceful protesting has done little to prevent the excessive aggression and use of force by the police and it doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.

In the last week I have been worried about the cops trashing first aid supplies (water/milk) and literally ramming protestors with cars. They are trying thing people don't expect so I hope protestors start trying to stay one step ahead of them.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Umbrellas and Traffic cones, smart

Perhaps some tech from welding goggles to stop the blinding light?
Ear plugs to help stop the deafening sound?
And learning to brace yourself for the concussive force?

I dunno.

What do the cops and military do and wear to protect themselves when they set one off?

distance or block it

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
You can't really "block" a flashbang without having a wall or pretty heavy gear.

I'm more surprised that they are even allowed to use them in the first place. Those things can fuck you up pretty badly.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Survival is all about adaptation. Dictators won't win against the flow of the water.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
It was obvious from the first night that this was necessary. Police are geared up for war, protesters need to be too.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Stay safe, everyone.

This is not a good situation for anyone and I feel like the entire nation is going to experience some form of ptsd from this in one way or another.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Kinda shocking to see some of the tankies coming out against this on SM because "the HK protests are fake and CIA-funded" - even taking away everything wrong with that sentiment, it's pretty funny to see people saying you shouldn't adopt certain tactics because those dirty, dirty capitalists are doing it.

Having said that, tankies are amongst the dumbest people in the world, so I shouldn't be too shocked.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Using leafblowers against tear gas canisters was the cleverest tactic in HK.

Also using McD's against tear gas:

OrnateDearestLemming-size_restricted.gif