Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought demon's souls was polarizing at first and the community/word of mouth is what hyped the game up
Demon's Souls got amazing reviews and people saying it is great despite being extremely punishing.
Word of mouth was one thing but it went hand to hand with glowing reviews.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Me: "Ooh boy, my first ResetEra review thread on a game i've been anticipated for..."

This thread:

giphy.gif

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Personally im really enjoying SoT and its pirating madness and skin grind, loving the interactions ive had both with my own ship crew and with others so far. Can't wait to see what they'll keep adding. This is definitely a marmite game :)

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They wanted a social Pirate game without ... good char editor ... ?

Don't know about the rest but yes, they wanted a social pirate game. And a game without editor. they talk about how they wanted the characters to follow a same 'design' when they did the randomizer thing in one of the logs. If you like it or not, your prerrogative, but yes, just like the lack of progression, this was intentional and not a goof or afterthought from their part

Also failing to see the link between tattoos, fishing, card games and creativity but that might just be me

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It's this low?

Holy shit. Me and my sister were just having fun playing it too. Good thing I didn't check the mc before I played it.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I have been enjoying the game so far, having fun just going around with my friends and sailing the seas. I haven't had time to sink hours into the game just yet, so I'm not sure at what point I will get tired of the content included in the game. There really were some obvious things that should have been included in this game however. I hope these things can be addressed via content packs which I understand will be free. Some things I would suggest, sorry if I'm repeating what others have already said:
  • More enemy types! This is essential. We really need more enemy variety in this game, skeletons are fun to fight but I don't understand why they are really the only AI enemies. Add in enemy pirates, who can maybe sail on their own ships, just make it obvious they are AI and not real people by changing the style of their ships. There should be enemies inhabiting the islands as well other than skeletons. This is one of the very obvious things that need to be addressed.
  • Treasure Chests. We really need chests which we can open for loot. Having to turn them in just to get gold each time will get tiring in a short while. I don't mind bringing chests back to have the gold hoarder open it for us, but I feel that getting to see the chests being opened and being given some items rather than gold will add a lot of variety to rewards.Again, this seemed very obvious.
  • Inviting Friends to join mid game. Why do I have to log out and start a new game just to add friends who come online a bit later? I like to get in the world and mess around a bit if I'm earlier than others logging in. It is very annoying having to log out just to get a galleon? I should be able to invite my friends to join, scuttle the smaller ship and get a galleon.
  • Creating pirates. We didn't need a Mass Effect style creation tool, but any sort of pirate creator would have been better than what we got.
All I can think of right now, but those are the most obvious issues I can think of. I feel like these things can be addressed in the future, but then again, I'm not a developer. Like I said earlier, very fun game for the most part, the PvP engagements have been a blast.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As in, wanted to make the game they wanted to make after many of the ideas for other games they wanted to make were rejected by Microsoft..

It's Greg Mayles dream game and it's the game that Rare wanted to make, if only there was some random Reddit user we could pin our hopes on to get to the bottom of what went wrong, lol.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to think about what this game reminded me of, and it's the late beta/launch of Ultima Online where everything felt like the wild west with an anything goes system with player interaction defining the moments of the game and a great unknown to explore. Unfortunately it seems like SoT has very little variety in it's objectives, there's nothing that feels truly rewarding, and the systems are so primitive I don't see people finding a great reason to stick with it unless they secretly have more stuff ready and waiting to add to the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever the case. It'll be updated with content.

Maybe, maybe not. The potential timeline starts from the stock 6 month support and ends with the 10-year plan. Depending on the playerbase, plans will change. Free content might become the expansion, an expansion might become a sequel.

The service model dies if players aren't going to purchase microtransactions. Destiny, Division, Battlefront 2, Dawn of War 3, Black Ops 3 - everyone alters their plans based on the reception/feedback/playerbase. Popular games have their content pipeline extended, failed games have their support cut short.

Feb 26, 2018
And that's because they let their developers make what ever as long as it passes vertical slices, and mile stones they let most of the projects/games come to market before making a decision to pull support on the game if it's not selling or unfortunately close the studio if the studio hasn't been profitable in a long time(evolution studios).

Not saying that's optimal as Cambridge getting shut down was one of the dumbest things this gen Sony ever did. But I honestly hope MS has better luck this E3. Because state of decay 2, and crackdown 3 are all people have to look forward too now along with that smaller halo inspired game from 343 we heard about.

Yeah. Studio closures suck. But it's still a business so i can totally understand it. Same with game cancellations.
I think SoD2 will find success, Crackdown 3 - not so much. We will see.
MS E3 should be like Sony 2016. Just fire with everything you got even if it wont come out in 1-2 years.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I expected the scores to trickle up over time, not trickle down.

Oof. After watching a lot of streams I'm surprised they didn't delay the game. Seems to be really bare bones at the moment.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
^that's been posted and its needlessly vitriolic towards console players. not a fan, despite him having valid points.

If Nintendo had done any supervision on this game, I don't think that it would have come out in such a bare-bones state.

Come to think of it, after BOTW, I'd love to see a Nintendo take on the openworld pirate theme.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And so the romance of Microsoft with Rare never managed to be consumed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's Greg Mayles dream game and it's the game that Rare wanted to make, if only there was some random Reddit user we could pin our hopes on to get to the bottom of what went wrong, lol.

Except they're not from random Reddit comments, they're from actual interviews with well known ex members of staff.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/former-employee-microsoft-rejected-rares-creativity2/

http://www.rarefandabase.com/exclusive-where-are-they-now-an-interview-with-chris-seavor/

Here is a list of ideas or projects from Rare that Microsoft supposedly cancelled or rejected from several years back.

Ordinary Joe
Arch Angel
Perfect Dark Core
Kameo 2
Cascade
Banjo Karting
Urchin
Sabreman Stampede
Soul Catcher
Banjo Kazoomie
Savanna
The Fast and the Furryiest
Quest

Granted these are predominantly from the 360 days, and even then only the ones we know of, but it does go to show the kind of situation Rare faced in terms of getting ideas and project greenlit all the way to fruition.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic.. 67.. Ouch, I guess I had high hopes for this game..

I'd recommend at least trying the game with some friends. Game Pass makes it a lot easier since you aren't forced to pay $60 up front. I don't think this game is for everyone and it certainly has its issues, but there is fun to be had if it clicks for you. We'll have to see how it turns out in the long run.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except they're not from random Reddit comments, they're from actual interviews with well known ex members of staff.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/former-employee-microsoft-rejected-rares-creativity2/

http://www.rarefandabase.com/exclusive-where-are-they-now-an-interview-with-chris-seavor/

Here is a list of ideas or projects from Rare that Microsoft supposedly cancelled or rejected from several years back.

Ordinary Joe
Arch Angel
Perfect Dark Core
Kameo 2
Cascade
Banjo Karting
Urchin
Sabreman Stampede
Soul Catcher
Banjo Kazoomie
Savanna
Quest

Granted these are predominantly from the 360 days, and even then only the ones we know of, but it does go to show the kind of situation Rare faced in terms of getting ideas and project greenlit all the way to fruition.

Developers, or even small subgroups among them, pitch so many different ideas. Most of them go nowhere. Remember that real time strategy pitch for Half Life 3? Doesn't mean that the management is evil and cutting their wings, but they can't put hundreds of people and tens of millions into any random idea someone has.

Your list literally mentions games that never got anywhere or got a couple weeks of work from 1-2 people. Hard to say "cancelled projects" or "untapped potential".

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Ordinary Joe
Arch Angel
Perfect Dark Core
Kameo 2
Cascade
Banjo Karting
Urchin
Sabreman Stampede
Soul Catcher
Banjo Kazoomie
Savanna
Quest

A Banjo Karting game would be awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Played a decent amount again last night. Out of any game with low-ish reviews, people should really give this one a shot. It's still the most polished low scoring game I've ever played. Needs more content for sure, but it has fun to offer.

EDIT: RE: Nintendo discussion. Zelda is a pretty empty world too. Let's not pretend that BOTW didn't have some of the same issues, it just had big dungeons and the shrines that gave players more overall to do. Also the cities had more character.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic.. 67.. Ouch, I guess I had high hopes for this game..
Reviews are all over the place even though there's a pretty good consensus on what some of the problems are.

I would still encourage people on the fence to try it because there's just something about it that is hard to get across without playing. Not saying it's for everyone though and it definitely needs more content but it's pretty cool when it works.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Developers, or even small subgroups among them, pitch so many different ideas. Most of them go nowhere. Remember that real time strategy pitch for Half Life 3? Doesn't mean that the management is evil and cutting their wings, but they can't put hundreds of people and tens of millions into any random idea someone has.

Your list literally mentions games that never got anywhere or got a couple weeks of work from 1-2 people. Hard to say "cancelled projects" or "untapped potential".

I don't think we can tell exactly how many people worked on some of these projects, it could have been far more than 1-2 (which is the implication given for some of the games), not to mention a few of these were being worked on for a year or more, and some even for 6 years on and off.

In any case, it certainly doesn't sound like a very efficient system or work flow, and also might go to explain how some of the content issues in Sea of Thieves could have come about.

In the thread over on the other forum, I believe it was stated that there were a total of 20 cancelled projects around that time, some which had a fair amount of time and money invested in to them, but that were ultimately rejected in favour of more child friendly or Kinect orientated projects.

A Banjo Karting game would be awesome.

Banjo Kazooie was one of my all time fave platformers. In some ways I preferred it to Mario. It seems insane that they'd never attempt to make a proper sequel. I honestly think it's a potentially hugely successful and profitable project they've left at the door.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh, i'll definitely give it a try in the future, i'll give it some time tho as i plan to play Solo, hopefully the griefers get bored with their schtick.,

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the KG stream - they just found a sloop with about 15 chests. Jackpot!

Man they must have been so pissed.

Rushoff

Oct 28, 2017
Played a decent amount again last night. Out of any game with low-ish reviews, people should really give this one a shot. It's still the most polished low scoring game I've ever played. Needs more content for sure, but it has fun to offer.

EDIT: RE: Nintendo discussion. Zelda is a pretty empty world too. Let's not pretend that BOTW didn't have some of the same issues, it just had big dungeons and the shrines that gave players more overall to do. Also the cities had more character.
The problem with sea of thieves is not that the map is too big.. it's more like.. why the fuck is there ONE enemy type overall and what.. 3 weapon types or so? Oh, and two freaking ships.. that is the problem. Sure, BotW may have huge world, in some areas quite empty.. but saying that it suffers from the same issues as sea of thieves is just being mad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we can tell exactly how many people worked on some of these projects, it could have been far more than 1-2 (which is the implication given for some of the games), not to mention a few of these were being worked on for a year or more, and some even for 6 years on and off.

In any case, it certainly doesn't sound like a very efficient system or work flow, and also might go to explain how something like Sea of Thieves could come about.

In the thread over on the other forum, I believe it was stated that there were a total of 20 cancelled projects around that time, some that had a fair amount of time and money invested in to them, but which were ultimately rejected in favour of more child friendly or Kinect orientated projects.

And I'm telling you this is pretty normal at most devs. Valve, for one, has dozens of projects that went nowhere. The thing is that a lot of devs and publishers are incredibly secretive, and the cancelled games are often related to existing IPs (from games or otherwise) which makes talking about them or publishing material from them a lot more complicated. Rare has always been a very open and honest company, hence we know about their struggles, their ideas and stuff far more. For example, you had to hear from anonymous sources that a giant Star Wars project they worked on for years (one that has never been officially announced) has been cancelled - without Schreier's incredible work we would have known fuck-all about it, and that's a game that costed EA tens of millions of dollars possibly.

And, for the record, those child friendly Kinect orientated projects sold a lot, far more than a Banjo 3 or Kameo 2 would have generated in terms of income. Not to mention it's easy to put the blame on the publisher for cancelling games, like the early gut reactions that we had at that Star Wars game, where it ultimately turned out that the development was a fucking mess and was not going to be completed for many years, if at all. Given Sea Of Thieves' lenghty development cycle and the fact they launched with a limited amount of content despite everything, I wouldn't bet large sums of money on the fact they had 20 projects going awesomely and then evil Microsoft execs came in and cancelled them all. Usually the truth is somewhere between the extremes.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I sincerely believe that Sea of Thieves is a project the upper staff was very passionate about. And the whole "being a pirate" stuff is something that is very believably a favourite fantasy of Gregg Mayles. The focus on social interaction and online might be influenced by Microsofts general policy, sure, but (sadly) I doubt that Mayles and co. would actually hav preferred to make Banjo-Threeie instead.
Not me, Rare said. They even showed a presentation when the game was only a concept, and they didn't know if it's gonna be a pirate game, or a cowboy game. They wanted an MMO, fueled for social interactions, with no vertical progression, with light content to promote players to create their own narratives. Microsoft approved that instead tell them to remaster Banjo, Microsoft take a financial risk, with a strange and experimental game, with AAA budget.
On the other hand, I somehow doubt Microsoft is seeing a new Banjo (or a remaster, why ever they would do that, when the first game is available in great quality on Xbox One) as a surefire hit, otherwise we would have seen one in the last 15 years since Microsoft bought Rare. The one newlystarted Banjo project we got was extremely different in nature precisely because the developers thought that no one wants a faithful successor.