• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
So thanks to Game Pass I picked this up again after trying it out for a bit back when it was still in beta and I've really enjoyed my short time with it so far, have only played solo, getting used to the basics again and learning the additional stuff that wasn't there in the beta days. Already got wrecked by the Kraken ...the black water is scary, got attacked by the Magalodon, got sunk by a Skeleton ship. I imagine for solo players the only tactic in those situations is to run? It's been a thrill to complete a mission without incident.
I really hope Rare keeps updating and iterating on this title, there's so much potential for even more I believe.

Edit: phone ui freaked out, sorry for initial empty post.

I have only been playing since quarantine, and only soloe a few times, but I think I would attempt to take on a single skellie ship solo, maybe not a galleon tho. I haven't succeeded in a battle against either of the big beasts even with a crew so am reluctant to consider soloing either of them.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: phone ui freaked out, sorry for initial empty post.

I have only been playing since quarantine, and only soloe a few times, but I think I would attempt to take on a single skellie ship solo, maybe not a galleon tho. I haven't succeeded in a battle against either of the big beasts even with a crew so am reluctant to consider soloing either of them.
There are two fast ways to sink a skellie ship:

- Boarder boards and guards a hole
- Boarder boards and gunpowders them

Combine the two and the ship is toast very fast. But can't really do either solo. Solo is just a lot of shooting—hopefully with a few cursed balls—and a lot of repairing. Solo against a skellie galleon is pretty much futile unless you have ample cursed. But you can always do the tried and true method:

- Ram, attach your boat to theirs, and bail water onto them until they sink

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Soooo everything (except your own inventory) just resets every time you log in? We played for couple of hours straight, customized the ship, gathered stuff etc and now when logging in the ship is just the default one.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo everything (except your own inventory) just resets every time you log in? We played for couple of hours straight, customized the ship, gathered stuff etc and now when logging in the ship is just the default one.
They'll be adding the ability to customize your ship loadout, save customizations, name your ship, etc. Update should be a few months after release

/s

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Last night I was delivering cargo to one of the random pirates on a random non outpost island, solo moding in a sloop since none of my crew was online. As I start pulling around the bend and up to the dock, a skeleton in a cannon tower starts shooting at me. Huh, no biggie, I'll just pull up and then snipe him or whatever, it's just one skellie on a cannon, nothing to worry about.

Anyway, he totally sunk me, I completely lost it laughing at myself in my own embarassment, and promptly switched to playing a different game as my pirate skills were not with me last night (Bannerlord went well for me tho!)

BravestOrphan

Nov 2, 2017
Group of streamers have almost 2000 kegs on an outpost and are going to blow them all soon. Check out xShumbax and others right now

Edit: it blew premature lol

Last edited:

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly my most successful voyage ever this morning, then in the way back got attacked by a megalodon and won, and then while picking up the loot got attacked by a kraken and won for the first time. This game is the best

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Playing duo sloop with a pal and we were doing the Stars of a Thief Tall Tale. Got to the very final object that we needed to get back to Sudds when a Galleon that had been doing the FotD sent over two people with kegs to blow our ship up for no reason. I don't think they saw me because I was able to get back into the cave and hide, waiting for my pal to sail back over with the newly spawned sloop and be on our way. Dickheads. But that wasn't the end of the tale..

They had a golden Reaper's Chest on board, so after we'd handed in our Tall Tale, we went to Reaper's Hideout, let our ship sail off into the distance while we jumped off, manned the stationary cannons, and obliterated them as they approached.

Revenge is sweet.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Playing duo sloop with a pal and we were doing the Stars of a Thief Tall Tale. Got to the very final object that we needed to get back to Sudds when a Galleon that had been doing the FotD sent over two people with kegs to blow our ship up for no reason. I don't think they saw me because I was able to get back into the cave and hide, waiting for my pal to sail back over with the newly spawned sloop and be on our way. Dickheads. But that wasn't the end of the tale..

They had a golden Reaper's Chest on board, so after we'd handed in our Tall Tale, we went to Reaper's Hideout, let our ship sail off into the distance while we jumped off, manned the stationary cannons, and obliterated them as they approached.

Revenge is sweet.

Beautiful!

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Snuck on a galley while they were doing the FotD. Managed to steal their Athena and went on a rowboat for the same outpost as they were because I wanted the thrill of sneakily selling the Athena on the same place they were. What if I succeeded and still managed to get some other fort loot from their ship? Or blow up their megakegs? Oh, the possibilities!

Obviously I got caught. I feel so dumb. lol

Possibly my most successful voyage ever this morning, then in the way back got attacked by a megalodon and won, and then while picking up the loot got attacked by a kraken and won for the first time. This game is the best

Glad to hear you're having fun! How have you been faring against skeleton ships? They don't quite move/behave like an (aggressive) player ship would, but they're a good aiming practice for PvP (if you're into that, that is).

Last edited:

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Snuck on a galley while they were doing the FotD. Managed to steal their Athena and went on a rowboat for the same outpost as they were because I wanted the thrill of sneakily selling the Athena on the same place they were. What if I succeeded and still managed to get some other fort loot from their ship? Or blow up their megakegs? Oh, the possibilities!

Obviously I got caught. I feel so dumb. lol
Wait, a galleon did FotD while they had an Athena's chest onboard? I'm sad you failed. That chest deserved a better home

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, a galleon did FotD while they had an Athena's chest onboard? I'm sad you failed. That chest deserved a better home

No, I stole the Athena they had gotten from the FotD!

It's fine, tho -- I admit I was being overly greedy. Hahaha

To make up for that, here's something I did yesterday (there is another sloop in the video but it wasn't mine -- my ship was parked really far and I wasn't part of the alliance):

It was clear the dude was a beginner, so it wasn't as exciting, but still...

Last edited:

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I really hope MS don't drop this game when next gen comes. XSX update at least, and continued content. Would be such a shame if they did.

Not likely to happen. This is Microsoft's most successful game this gen, at least when it comes to retaining players. At least half a million players played this game during this update.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear you're having fun! How have you been faring against skeleton ships? They don't quite move/behave like an (aggressive) player ship would, but they're a good aiming practice for PvP (if you're into that, that is).

Mostly I find them much easier than other players, but occasionally they can be real surprising. I got attacked by a skeleton sloop while I was in a storm recently (on my own 2 person sloop), and the combo of the two sunk us. Another time while in a 4 person galleon, I was being bilge rat and was told to ignore damage on the mid deck, and I maybe took that advice a little too far, because we went from "i could maybe use another person bailing while I repair down here" to "oh nevermind we're sunk" in like 10 seconds.

EDIT: That Galleon sinking was either against a 2-skelly wave in the fleet, or a skeleton Galleon, I can't remember

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ten new achievements for Ships of Fortune, five are for flying each Emissary flag and the other 5 are for hitting the new max levels with Companies.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ten new achievements for Ships of Fortune, five are for flying each Emissary flag and the other 5 are for hitting the new max levels with Companies.
As a PL10

The grind is back on

Since this is a somewhat significant update (imo) I might make a thread when patch notes are available

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think the levels are gonna scale in the same way they did from 1-50? Like, will 50 to 51 be longer than 49 to 50? And that get longer all the way to 75...

Because that's gonna take a good amount of time!

Although, having said that, I've got a buddy who reset their PL character a few months back and they could get back to PL in no time these days.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Was on a server where eventually the only two emissaries were us (a grade v merchant sloop) and a reapers galleon who were at level 4. Reapers can see all the other emissaries once they max out their rank and we'd be their only prey for emissary flags. It was mildy tense always running to the map every so often and making sure to keep tabs on them, but luckily they for whatever reason never made the grade while we were playing.

Really like what this update brings

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did a solo sloop merchant and than an Athena emissary galleon. Was a ton of fun.

Survived so much bullshit that the game threw at us like being stuck in a volcano eruption and our buckets were struggling to pick up water from the water barrel.

Sunk a ship that bothered us.

There was a another galleon near us so I cannoned over to see what they were up to. Turns out it was the island we left a crying chest on so I hid it on their crows nest and managed to sink them without them knowing lmao

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
First experience after logging on was that about 30 second in, another ship comes speeding in to my outpost, shouts "WE'RE FRIENDLY", then rams my boat and tries to kill me. Somehow I was able to take about both players, despite being solo and surprised, so that was something.

After a quick server hop to avoid those idiots, I did a nice Gold Hoarders emissary run. It was only a short one, single chapter, but it still got me to rank 3 and was all told enough to get me almost an entire level from 38 to 39. The rep bonus for just handing a grade 3 flag is great, so next time I'll definitely go for 5.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah mixed feelings on this update. Certainly seems significant, but our first encounter with another Reaper's Bones crew was extremely suspicious (pulling off extremely clutch shots with sniper and lagging across the deck) and then they proceeded to camp our ship, bailing for us so we just kept respawning into their guns.

I kinda feel like the revive mechanic shouldn't work when on another players ship, almost too OP for boarding other players, especially if it's a bigger crew cause while you're hiding they can rez anyone you manage to kill.

Also, how exactly does this work: we were both Reaper's Bones, we sunk each other, would two flags have floated to the surface? If they got back to where we sunk before us (they did) would they have found their own flag, reinstating their emissary status, as well as our flag? Does our flag become an item on their ship or does it just increase their rank as a once off pickup?

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Is there any kind of matchmaking in the game? Really interested to try it out via Gamepass but I've read the game really shines when you're on a group

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah mixed feelings on this update. Certainly seems significant, but our first encounter with another Reaper's Bones crew was extremely suspicious (pulling off extremely clutch shots with sniper and lagging across the deck) and then they proceeded to camp our ship, bailing for us so we just kept respawning into their guns.

I kinda feel like the revive mechanic shouldn't work when on another players ship, almost too OP for boarding other players, especially if it's a bigger crew cause while you're hiding they can rez anyone you manage to kill.

Also, how exactly does this work: we were both Reaper's Bones, we sunk each other, would two flags have floated to the surface? If they got back to where we sunk before us (they did) would they have found their own flag, reinstating their emissary status, as well as our flag? Does our flag become an item on their ship or does it just increase their rank as a once off pickup?
both flags become a loot item, you cant pop it back on and resume your emissaryship. they could turn their flag in for a tiny bit of gold/rep (i think its like 1000 gold?) and keep yours to either turn in or hoard it for when they rank back up.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does open crew work? I wanna get in but I really wanna just find a few people to play with and stick with it. That's what makes me fall off.
You get matchmade with people and as people drop others can fill in.

This game is so much better in an actual crew.

That being said, avoid open crew AT ALL COSTS.

There is an official SoT discord and official community discords. There is also the LFG function via Xbox. Do that.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god what an eventful 2 sessions.
Session one
After work, before dinner, I lfg into a galleon doing reapers. We immediately hit a fort and get to grade 3/4 just with that. We go to sink a skelly ship ship and the server shits out. It was just me and one other dude on this galleon and no one else could join back even when we could invite them. They were getting errors. Even new lfg peeps couldn't. This guy tried to leave and come back and couldn't. I invite our entire party back in and it looks like they got it and it were loading in.... but they loaded into an outpost... with a "new" galleon that wasn't mine... on a new server.... oh and this galleon for whatever reason was insanely stocked. Very odd.

I manage to solo my galleon to 2 islands to find enough treasure to hit grade 5 reaper and nervously make my way to reapers hideout. I get here and start offloading by myself which takes a while. I then see a bring roll by. Shit shit shit. I sell one more valuable item and sit by the take down flag table. 2 guys come in with a reapers chest. Out of caution I take down my grade 5 flag for the extra gold and rep.... I then ran to my ship since it had a keg near it and when I pick it up they sworded me and blew it up on shore.

I spawn back in and tell them it's just me here and it they wanted they can help me unload and turn in whatever they wanted.

To my surprise they ended up being the coolest bros ever. They helped me unload my loot, on total silence, and instead of turning it in they just dropped it at my feet and let me turn it in. They were so friendly I probably took down my flag for nothing and missed out on a big multiplier oh well. Was cool to have a friendly moment

Session 2
Once again, lfg into a reaper galleon. We stock up on the outpost when I notice there's a gold reaper chest not too far and a normal reaper elsewhere. We shove off for the gold one. It turns out to be a sloop running a grade 4 gold hoarders emissary. They try to bamboozle us by 180 anchor turning while behind a rock but made the fatal mistake of doing so by going WITH the wind this time. We caught up and sank them without much trouble. Not only did we get basically up to grade 3 for doing that and getting their flag but they had SO MUCH FUCKING LOOT. An insane amount and very varied including some Athena trinkets. After getting the gold reaper and flag and some loot we hit grade 5. Fastest grade 5 ever.

As we are finishing up loading the rowboat up when we see a galleon coming for us that had GH emissary flags. It was the ship that had the regular reaper too. Our plan was to dip out and find a spot to ditch the loot filled rowboat while we distract the ship so we could sell. Unfortunately one of our idiot crew members detaches the boat WAY too early because he thought we were near reapers. We weren't. We are basically at the center of the map where the arena HQ is.

We tell him to book it for reapers in the rowboat while we try and buy him time. But it was a STRUGGLE. We take heavy fire, ships on fire. Masts down from chain shot. But somehow despite it being 3v4 we recover and fight them off and SOMEHOW manage to sink them despite it seeming like they had us dead. Fuck yeah. Got these guys flags and these guys also had SO MUCH LOOT.

Meanwhile our other guy started selling so we got all that with the grade 5 bonus. They had so much loot we couldn't even save it all before they came barreling back in for revenge. It also took us FOREVER to put the fires out on our ship and fix it. Every mast was down. Fire on all decks. anchor and wheel needed full repairs.

We took off with the intention of selling their reaper and flag with drive by sells. But they once again hit us pretty good but we recovered and managed to get some distance on the by going through the storm. They ended up catching us at reapers and we once again fought them off. I believe they scuttled and logged off. Probably pretty pissed they had the hubris to attack a grade 5 reaper with that much loot on board themselves.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Its interesting keeping tabs on the ledgers, didnt expect merchant to be getting the most activity of the original four companies

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Good night on the seas last night in a duo sloop. Sailed for gold hoarders, and despite constantly seeing other player ships, none were prepping reapers and none went after us so we cashed in a level 4 flag at the end of the night, lacking the energy to go level it once more.

I've done 2 nights of emissarying, and am currently in the tier for the cheaper sail for both gold hoarders and order of souls, which is nice.

At the end of the night, right after my buddy logged out, a player brig sneakily parked on the back side of the outpost island out of view from our sloop. So I sneakily got aboard their ship after I saw them hop off. They didnt have any treasure to steal, and they were on a tall tale, so I decided not to stowaway for future shenanigans. Instead I deposited all my supplies into their supply barrels before logging off. So if you were 2 manning a brig last night doing the something rogue tall tale, and were wondering where the shark meat came from, it was me, I had missed it in my inventory when I stopped at the hunters call rep and didnt feel like going back

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried out the new Arena?

I was upset about the changes—I loved the strategy/skill that came with multiple maps—but the shorter time and more focused combat feels tight. There are still a few issues to address, such as farming AFK ships, but it's much closer to what I imagined Arena would be from the start

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what a Wild session

Load up in a reapers galleons. Some idiot says he's gotta go afk for a bit. Gets booted. Server issues mean he can't join back and we are down to 3 on a galleon. We complete a fort and pick up some random loot to get to grade 5. But we have another reaper galleon that intercepts us. We try to send a rowboat out with a keg but it fails and I am alone getting lit up. We sold some valuables but lose most of the fort loot and emissary flag.

We come back and manage to sink them while they are still at reapers because a man stayed behind and somehow managed to keep them at bay with the island cannons.

Got to sell their grade 4 flag. That is when we noticed another reaper gallon coming from a fresh completed fort. We manage to set off their Mega keg and sink them. Got to grade 5 immediately and sold all the loot and took our flag down.

Started the session losing our grade 5 and fort loot and ended it by stealing another reapers fort loot

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
So, sorry if asking about this is controversial, but... are there hacks in this game? Like, aimbot and stuff?

I swear I have never seen any players doing anything suspicious in this game, but one of these days I was trying to hide in an active FotD, and only ONE guy from the crew who was doing the fort seemed to always know where I was.

No matter how well I hid, he'd know where I was (and he would type my exact location in the chat for his crewmates); no matter how deep in the water I was, he was able to snipe me from the surface... it was weird. I had parked my sloop behind some rocks that were kinda close, and every time I'd die, I went towards them again swimming, so this did repeat multiple times. Even if I was coming from a blind spot from their ship, the same dude would always warn his crewmates that I was coming back... even though I was ~30secs away from arriving at the island. You can't see well on the FotD region due to the fog, let alone spot a single player swimming towards it.

Anyway, very VERY weird.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So, sorry if asking about this is controversial, but... are there hacks in this game? Like, aimbot and stuff?

There are sadly plenty of hacks and exploits, but they tend to be on the PC side. Personally I opted out of crossplay when I play on the Xbox, that helps matters some.
Aimbot (cannot name hacks specifically, you'll know it when you see it):
On the basic level this cheat allows perfect auto-aim, but it's not much better than a skilled PC player, so hard to identify like that. It also shows boxes around players, chests, enemies and fort keys that are visible through objects. This is the way to spot people using it. If they forget to turn off local chat, you may hear them describing player or chest locations when they are at a distance or out of sight

Another is that they can flag as friendly, meaning your gunfire doesn't work on them. I've only seen that once, mind, and the guy was flaunting it, letting me blunderbuss him at point blank range.

There's also that macro that lets PC players move through the water at full speed while taking a chest, which I hate. Apparently you CAN do it with a controller manually too? But I haven't seen anyone who can...