• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I know they've said cross-play or cross whatever but have they ever confirmed that PC and Xbox players play on the same servers or is it a Fortnite thing where the only way to play with xbox people or xbox people with PC people is to join a friend? The wording is really confusing and every article i have read is super fucking vague about the whole thing.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I know they've said cross-play or cross whatever but have they ever confirmed that PC and Xbox players play on the same servers or is it a Fortnite thing where the only way to play with xbox people or xbox people with PC people is to join a friend? The wording is really confusing and every article i have read is super fucking vague about the whole thing.

Everyone plays in the same instance. There's no segregation based on platform.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
ive played pc in the beta and while solo met other friendly solo players who were on xbox so im pretty sure its the former

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Well I now have GamePass for 2 months at $2, so I'll see how SoT progresses after launch. Hope the PC launch goes smoothly with the Windows store.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
What doesn't work? While you're logged in on the standard website, you go into that other, in this case nz website store, click on download and it's done, it downloads the game to your console. Tried it right now.

Just like you add other countries Gold games to your account. Just login and download.

I tried it on my console itself. Wil try this now. Thanks.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The perks still give you stats buffs and you still unlock them. That is still part of gearing up your character.
...dude, how are you not comprehending this

Stat buffs as a perk are not vertical progression. At all. Zero.

Vertical progression is getting better gear (like a better machine gun than your last one, for example) or improving player stats.

Horizontal broadens your options, but your choices are still level.

If I have three perk spots, I have three options. If I want stronger firepower, I can do that, but I am sacrificing a perk spot. Over time, I have more options, so maybe next time I boot the game up I decide this next perk is worth having over the stronger firepower. The progression is horizontal - my OPTIONS improved and have broadened so that my combination of weapons, perks, and abilities can be customized. None of it is better than the rest, I just have more options to work with to fit my needs.

Vertical progression would be if I, over time, got stronger firepower as part of my character progression. My stronger firepower came at level 7 because I earned a permanent skill point to spend at that time and also I can advance my class because I get new class buffs permanently every 7 levels. That is vertical because your CHARACTER is improving.

The example you keep knocking is horizontal. Also, stop citing Rare's design presentations. Some of us in this forum have industry experience, so waving around the fact that you watched a YouTube video doesn't really tell me anything. You have two or three people here telling you that you're wrong. Step back and consider that you might be.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
cancelled gamepass and just purchased the game outright.....having gamepass for literally microsoft exclusives at this point isn't worth the monthly sub....especially with the dead period we probably will experience between SoD2 and fall.....money will equal the same. Plus this way I can preload the damn game and get the awesome pre-order stuff.

downloading on my PC now.....which is turning out to be insanely easy. I'm starting to wonder if people who download from the store have their windows versions updated all the way and even have the store app updated which it needs to be in order to get the latest fixes.....or if people are using old pirated copies of windows 10 at this point possibly.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Right now I am just hoping for a smooth launch. Would hate to have some time set aside and be denied due to server issues etc. They tested it a lot, so hopefully things are going to be very smooth.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...dude, how are you not comprehending this

Stat buffs as a perk are not vertical progression. At all. Zero.

Vertical progression is getting better gear (like a better machine gun than your last one, for example) or improving player stats.

No it isn't just that. It also is about that equipment working better or having their stats boosted which is what perks do.

If I have three perk spots, I have three options. If I want stronger firepower, I can do that, but I am sacrificing a perk spot.

If I choose to a perk in Fallout when I level up and that perk buffs stats in one category instead of another, that doesn't somehow make that progression horizontal instead of vertical.

Vertical progression would be if I, over time, got stronger firepower as part of my character progression.

...kinda like Stopping Power, which increases bullet damage by 40%. >.>

You are arguing that we can't call that vertical progression because somehow we must just imagine the unlocking of the higher level perk doesn't count as your character progressing? What?!

My stronger firepower came at level 7 because I earned a permanent skill point to spend at that time and also I can advance my class because I get new class buffs permanently every 7 levels. That is vertical because your CHARACTER is improving.

It has nothing to do with whether your buff is permanent or not. The question is: Can I unlock gameplay options without stat buffs being involved, so as to not unlock buffs to make you perform better but instead to unlock alternative ways to play the game? If so, that is an example of horizontal progression. If there is a stats buff, that constitutes your equipment becoming more powerful and as such, is vertical progression.

Here is what your link says from earlier, just so you can stop pretending that I'm talking out of my ass:

"Vertical progression places an emphasis in strengthening the equipment at your disposal rather than applying the equipment differently or using alternative gear or abilities to succeed at various scenarios."

Perks in CoD4 strengthen the equipment at your disposal instead of giving you more equipment across the board to choose from.

Thing like:
  • Increases bullet damage by 40%
  • Reduces incoming damage by 25%
  • Increases explosives damage by 25%
  • Halves reloading time
  • Increases rate of fire by 33%
  • Gives the player extra starting ammo for their primary and secondary weapons
  • Foot steps are 75% more silent
  • Extra bullet damage when shooting through walls
  • Doubles the player's sprinting time
  • Increases hipfiring accuracy

...are all things that are unlocked which buff stats for the character.

If you ulocked a different class with a totally different loadout, for example, THAT would be horizontal progression as you are now positioned with different tools to attack challenges differently. When you just talk about unlocking a new perk, you aren't applying the same gun differently somehow. You aren't using it in some novel way to solve some problem creatively. You are simply taking that gun and making its stats better. Just because you have choices for which vertical path upwards ya wanna take doesn't make that decision itself 'horizontal progression'. The progression in SoT includes unlocking new voyages that your crew can vote on, earning gold to buy gear/cosmetics/weapons, and outfitting your ship. These are all horizontal progression.

Also fwiw, I'm not saying CoD doesn't have some horizontal progression. My point about progression is that Rodelero seems to think SoT has none, when in reality it has horizontal progression. He has argued that unlocking cosmetics is not progression at all, even though those cosmetics can alter the strategies of the person unlocking them as well as others on the server, so they absolutely change how ppl play the game. He may not like their decision to go that route, but they did so for very well defined reasons that are informed and make sense in service of their design goals. Maybe you guys don't agree with their design goals, but there are methods behind what they are doing here. If there weren't, there is no way the game would be as well received as it has been pre-release. The proof is in the pudding.

Also, stop citing Rare's design presentations. Some of us in this forum have industry experience, so waving around the fact that you watched a YouTibe video doesn't really tell me anything. You have two or three people here telling you that you're wrong. Step back and consider that you might be.

I care not what your purported experience is, nor his. If your arguments are misinformed or don't make sense, that doesn't somehow change just because someone says they have some experience doing XYZ. Notice that I'm not claiming I'm right just *because* RARE says so. I'm explaining why you are wrong based on actual points and arguments that have a basis in reality independent of my experience, yours, or someone else's. In fact, above I have pointed to what you cited earlier as a basis for why you guys are wrong in a game cited by him and not me. At the same time though, you can't just say 'take my word for it, because I have some obscure experience doing [something], but please disregard one of the industry's most prolific devs who have actually explained their decisions already, even if they make sense'. That's stupid. I trust their design points because they explained them and they make sense. Not because I'm somehow naive about industry workings.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried following that chain of comments about CoD and shit, and got lost along the way. Based on the betas, the game still offers cosmetic progression only, right? All this talk of vertical and horizontal progression doesn't make much sense.

The incentive to complete quests or whatever they're called is to earn gold and progress toward doing better quests that are more difficult but offer more gold, and all that gold is spent on nicer looking clothes, compasses, boat color schemes, etc... Right?

Also, get hype

jfuxFrh.png

Right now I am just hoping for a smooth launch. Would hate to have some time set aside and be denied due to server issues etc. They tested it a lot, so hopefully things are going to be very smooth.
Don't expect smooth sailing day 1.

Have they hinted to any instruments?

I want to make a pirate band.

Can you imagine that? I pirate band traveling across the sea.

2 chests per show as my payment :P
Huh? There are instruments.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
cancelled gamepass and just purchased the game outright.....having gamepass for literally microsoft exclusives at this point isn't worth the monthly sub....especially with the dead period we probably will experience between SoD2 and fall.....money will equal the same. Plus this way I can preload the damn game and get the awesome pre-order stuff.

downloading on my PC now.....which is turning out to be insanely easy. I'm starting to wonder if people who download from the store have their windows versions updated all the way and even have the store app updated which it needs to be in order to get the latest fixes.....or if people are using old pirated copies of windows 10 at this point possibly.
having used the windows store for several games now my experience has wavered between "hassle free" and "pain in the neck" seemingly at random

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
having used the windows store for several games now my experience has wavered between "hassle free" and "pain in the neck" seemingly at random

so its pretty much flip a coin for some folks.....so far I haven't had issues with FH3, Gears 4 or Sea of Thieves.....Sea of thieves with it being a live service though will be the real test on the update/patches. I've heard some nasty horror stories on it.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't just that. It also is about that equipment working better or having their stats boosted which is what perks do.

If I choose to a perk in Fallout when I level up and that perk buffs stats in one category instead of another, that doesn't somehow make that progression horizontal instead of vertical.

...kinda like Stopping Power, which increases bullet damage by 40%. >.>

You are arguing that we can't call that vertical progression because somehow we must just imagine the unlocking of the higher level perk doesn't count as your character progressing? What?!

It has nothing to do with whether your buff is permanent or not. The question is: Can I unlock gameplay options without stat buffs being involved, so as to not unlock buffs to make you perform better but instead to unlock alternative ways to play the game? If so, that is an example of horizontal progression. If there is a stats buff, that constitutes your equipment becoming more powerful and as such, is vertical progression.

Here is what your link says from earlier, just so you can stop pretending that I'm talking out of my ass:

"Vertical progression places an emphasis in strengthening the equipment at your disposal rather than applying the equipment differently or using alternative gear or abilities to succeed at various scenarios."

Perks in CoD4 strengthen the equipment at your disposal instead of giving you more equipment across the board to choose from.

Thing like:
  • Increases bullet damage by 40%
  • Reduces incoming damage by 25%
  • Increases explosives damage by 25%
  • Halves reloading time
  • Increases rate of fire by 33%
  • Gives the player extra starting ammo for their primary and secondary weapons
  • Foot steps are 75% more silent
  • Extra bullet damage when shooting through walls
  • Doubles the player's sprinting time
  • Increases hipfiring accuracy

...are all things that are unlocked which buff stats for the character.

If you ulocked a different class with a totally different loadout, for example, THAT would be horizontal progression as you are now positioned with different tools to attack challenges differently. When you just talk about unlocking a new perk, you aren't applying the same gun differently somehow. You aren't using it in some novel way to solve some problem creatively. You are simply taking that gun and making its stats better. Just because you have choices for which vertical path upwards ya wanna take doesn't make that decision itself 'horizontal progression'. The progression in SoT includes unlocking new voyages that your crew can vote on, earning gold to buy gear/cosmetics/weapons, and outfitting your ship. These are all horizontal progression.

Also fwiw, I'm not saying CoD doesn't have some horizontal progression. My point about progression is that Rodelero seems to think SoT has none, when in reality it has horizontal progression. He has argued that unlocking cosmetics is not progression at all, even though those cosmetics can alter the strategies of the person unlocking them as well as others on the server, so they absolutely change how ppl play the game. He may not like their decision to go that route, but they did so for very well defined reasons that are informed and make sense in service of their design goals. Maybe you guys don't agree with their design goals, but there are methods behind what they are doing here. If there weren't, there is no way the game would be as well received as it has been pre-release. The proof is in the pudding.

I care not what your purported experience is, nor his. If your arguments are misinformed or don't make sense, that doesn't somehow change just because someone says they have some experience doing XYZ. Notice that I'm not claiming I'm right just *because* RARE says so. I'm explaining why you are wrong based on actual points and arguments that have a basis in reality independent of my experience, yours, or someone else's. In fact, above I have pointed to what you cited earlier as a basis for why you guys are wrong in a game cited by him and not me. At the same time though, you can't just say 'take my word for it, because I have some obscure experience doing [something], but please disregard one of the industry's most prolific devs who have actually explained their decisions already, even if they make sense'. That's stupid. I trust their design points because they explained them and they make sense. Not because I'm somehow naive about industry workings.

This is my final post on the matter. The article, two paragraphs down from what you cited, talks about gear rendering other gear useless in vertical progression - which is not what CoD does - and then talks about horizontal progression further down: "horizontal mechanics point towards the development of a wide range of character attributes that will weather any challenges that lie ahead. Each ability isn't inherently better than another, but well-researched combinations might create a much more powerful effect" which is exactly what CoD does with guns. That's what perks are doing. You are combining them for a "powerful effect." Those stat buffs will fundamentally alter how you play, but you can switch them out for other options. Fallout is progressing your character via improvement through the stats and permanent perks. CoD is expanding your options. You have perks, but they are not permanent. They are options. I will switch out my short range damage perk and equip a long range perk if I am in an open map. In Fallout, that is not the case. How you have gotten stronger based on your statistic progression dictates how you approach a situation.

And what Rodelero keeps saying that you are ignoring is that you are putting far too much emphasis on your point. I, and others in here, agree that the cosmetics do not matter. I am not going to change my approach if I see someone with a captain's hat on. You can trust what they're trying to do all you want, but having watched people play games with similar approaches, you will find that it really won't change the approach people take very much at all. The game was well received because it is fun to pull up to people, sink their ships and steal their treasure. I do not think I read a single article or impression that cited the cosmetics as having an effect on their experience in the way you are trying to push.

Have a good night.

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
Come on now. The Windows Store is poor for many reasons. I've experienced plenty myself and it has nothing to do with people not updating Windows or being actual pirates.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Updating OT with a more "clear" (but official) release schedule plus some changes here and there like achievement lists and avatars for those wanting to spice up the hype. Also an online map!

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Did not realize this was out so soon. I am interested in it. Do you guys recommend getting it now, or waiting till later in the year to see how content updates shape up? Have Ni no Kuni 2 and Far Cry 5 on the radar right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
Did not realize this was out so soon. I am interested in it. Do you guys recommend getting it now, or waiting till later in the year to see how content updates shape up? Have Ni no Kuni 2 and Far Cry 5 on the radar right now.
The beta was extremely light on content and the full game doesn't seem to add that much more. The sailing is great, but quests and combat seem questionable in quality.

I wouldn't buy it before reviews, or you get it for cheap through Game Pass with a free trial.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017

If you didn't play the beta to decide for yourself, maybe try Game Pass.

The beta was extremely light on content and the full game doesn't seem to add that much more. The sailing is great, but quests and combat seem questionable in quality.

I wouldn't buy it before reviews, or you get it for cheap through Game Pass with a free trial.

Pretty much. My friends and I personally love it, and that's another thing - the game is ten times better with at least one other friend. Communication makes the game easier and more fun to play.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The game being in Alpha or Beta with real players for a year and a half probably helps.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Combat isn't as bad as it seems at first. Hated it from the videos really didn't like it in the tech alpha and it grew on me in the scale test with the more pvp I did. Disliked it against the skellies but only cause of the camera lock on which is now gone.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is game ready?? Is it just the normal drivers??? I dont use geforce experience, that thing is yuck. I just want deivers to download.
Game ready is just their label for drivers that are "game ready" for release or shortly before release of a set of games. When they become available I'm pretty certain it'll be across both the traditional driver download method and GeForce Experience.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first game that really makes me want an Xbox One, looks amazingly fun.

Look forward to reading all your impressions.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
This is the first game that really makes me want an Xbox One, looks amazingly fun.

Look forward to reading all your impressions.

Do you have a PC to play it on? The game scales extremely well, so it's playable on a large variety of PC's and you don't require a high-end rig or anything like that.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Rare stated in the Reddit AMA that it's a locked 30FPS on Xbox One X. The Final Beta was far from locked, hoping they've made final improvements and aren't lying in an AMA.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Where are some of you finding the Game Pass codes for $2?
2) I hear you can access the game in New Zealand once the game is released there. How do? Can it be done with Game Pass still?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have the controller! I am ready to Cross play and stream this game. My most anticipated game of the year, so far

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
I tried following that chain of comments about CoD and shit, and got lost along the way. Based on the betas, the game still offers cosmetic progression only, right? All this talk of vertical and horizontal progression doesn't make much sense.

The incentive to complete quests or whatever they're called is to earn gold and progress toward doing better quests that are more difficult but offer more gold, and all that gold is spent on nicer looking clothes, compasses, boat color schemes, etc... Right?

Also, get hype

jfuxFrh.png

Don't expect smooth sailing day 1.

Huh? There are instruments.

I know man, I'm talking about new ones.

Fiddle, banjo and drums are coming I believe.

Damn, those are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.