Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
INFOGRAPHIC_JUNE18_02.png

For this year's E3, we're pleased to be able to give fans a taste of what's to come with a new teaser trailer for the next two Content Updates due to hit in the coming months; Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores.

CURSED-SAILS_4K.jpg

Releasing in July, Cursed Sails will bring a new threat to the seas in the form of terrifying skeleton ships. We will be introducing these to the world by way of a time-limited campaign, providing a new threat and challenge for players to take on for exclusive rewards. Beyond this, they will remain as emergent threats in the world for players to take on. We are also introducing a new ship type – the Brigantine – for up to three players to adventure on. This is the first new ship players will be able to get their hands on, and we are committed to continuing to expand the Sea of Thieves fleet.

SOT_Forsaken-Shores_4K.jpg

In September, Forsaken Shores will reveal a new part of the world that will test the skill and nerve of even the most hardened crews. This is a volcanic area, and any crews setting sail into this part of the Sea of Thieves will be committing to an arduous, difficult voyage filled with danger. Rocks will rain down from the skies, the seas will be rough and every adventure will be fraught with peril. Accompanying this, we are also introducing a Row Boat for players to use, supporting them in navigating this perilous new world.

Before all that though, we will be beginning our regular in-game events on June 12, when we introduce the time-limited Skeleton Thrones event to Sea of Thieves. The events will give players new goals and rewards on a regular basis, outside of our Content Updates and the time-limited campaigns that accompany them. We are thoroughly excited to get the first of these into players hands soon!

Thanks to everyone for their support so far. Sea of Thieves has had an incredible launch, and we're really now embarking on our post-launch adventure. It's going to be a lot of fun!

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06...ed-sails-forsaken-shores/#4mpKkhfT84KOO4y0.99

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
First off, the expansion looks great.

Two, congrats to Rare. Good game, and i expect it to continue to improve.

Three, Game Pass is flexing its muscle. This is big for Microsoft first party line up. State of Decay also reached 2 million. Very impressive.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Great numbers. I hope that the community continues to grow. This game has its hooks in me and I want them to fill this thing with content for as long as humanly possible so that I can continue playing it.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
The game was definitely a disappointment at launch and I did feel pretty scammed at first given what we were told and shown. That said, they got my $60 and the game does have a lot of potential to be truly special. I trust Rare to do a good job with these updates and make the game it should have been. Excited to see what comes to it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Future support looking good. Glad it's been a success for rare and hope we continue to get nice support

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
4 million is pretty insane. Didn't expect it to be that high at all. This is both good and bad. On one hand, it's great seeing this game be that successful, but on the other hand, this means Rare will be working on nothing but this game. Probably explains why their old IPs keep getting outsourced. Realistically, they probably just don't care for them anymore.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this game will just grow and grow both in content and it's audience, looking forward to the start of events too. The game us just such a blast with friends.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
4 million is pretty insane. Didn't expect it to be that high at all. This is both good and bad. On one hand, it's great seeing this game be that successful, but on the other hand, this means Rare will be working on nothing but this game. Probably explains why their old IPs keep getting outsourced. Realistically, they probably just don't care for them anymore.

This isn't true. Rare has another game in development that isn't sea of thieves. Don't worry about them becoming another single ip factory like 343 and coalition

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping they'd show a little more today, but, fortunately, Jul and Sep aren't far away.

I still have fun with the game, and the Hungering Deep release was a very welcome distraction, but the game still needs a lot more content. I'm hoping these new releases add enough to carry it through the end of the year.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was hoping they'd show a little more today, but, fortunately, Jul and Sep aren't far away.

I still have fun with the game, and the Hungering Deep release was a very welcome distraction, but the game still needs a lot more content. I'm hoping these new releases add enough to carry it through the end of the year.

Don't forget the weekly stuff that starts this week as well.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I hope the future content is meatier and it shouldnt be limited time.

I cant stress it enough but a lot of people played hungering deep and then stopped aside from popping the game on here and there.

It was so funny seeing Fallout 76 today compared to SoT as it is now. Fallout also lets you play instruments and fight/grief people, but that game has MUCH more to see and do.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing numbers and we'll deserved. Best game this gen that will keep delivering. Bravo rare.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
4 million is quite a lot. Wondering which % is Gamepass.

This game could well have a bright future.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I bought it but I just can;t bring myself to play it.
It requires such a large investment of time to be worth it. You can't quit mid voyage or else you lose all the treasure you gained. And the voyages take time, especially if you do multiple.
I just don't have the time atm.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
That 4 million number is the total number of people who ever tried the game or active playerbase ?

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happy for xbox boys..but i think this game will never say something to me.
Then why even bother coming into a thread about a game you have no interest in, only to tell everyone that you have no interest in it? And what's with the xbox boys? Because grown men don't like Xbox? Women?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're slowly but surely doing everything or near everything were asking for. It's just a matter of time. I'll definitely jump back in at some point.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That 4 million number is the total number of people who ever tried the game or active playerbase ?
Alltime, judging by matchmaking the current number is closer to 100k daily than even a million. You rarely get matched on a full galleon these days. And if you do you end up at sea already. If they had decent numbers you would start with four players at an outpost, like in the first week. But that doesn't happen anymore.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

There's three more updates for fall/winter. So this isn't the only thing carrying the game and they have a 4th team working on content for the game so you'll see bigger updates as that team ramps up and we'll get regular updates with the game. next year it will look very different than from launch.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good number, I found the game pretty boring myself and didn't sub to Game Pass after my trial as a result but I'm glad it's doing well for those that like it.

Also it should be "than" in the title, not "then" "more then 4 million players" makes no sense.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I am loving everything about this game TBH, just a classic. This is really a game made for gamers by gamers. Expansion looks awesome. I hope they can keep this running for quite a few years, always growing bigger.

Oct 25, 2017
We are also introducing a new ship type – the Brigantine – for up to three players to adventure on. This is the first new ship players will be able to get their hands on, and we are committed to continuing to expand the Sea of Thieves fleet.

Fuck yeah. So what do we reckon the ship will be like, other than two masts?

I bought it but I just can;t bring myself to play it.
It requires such a large investment of time to be worth it. You can't quit mid voyage or else you lose all the treasure you gained. And the voyages take time, especially if you do multiple.
I just don't have the time atm.

Yeah this is a problem for sure. When you went to buy voyages in the beta, it would give you an approximate length/rewards for the different contracts which helped a little bit.

It's still a great game but I only really play it maybe once a week because it's tough to jump on for a quick 15-20 minute session and get anything done.

Salmone_D_Oro

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder what the hell i have read about this game some time ago . I thought it was bad but here it's praised...is it good then ?

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the hell i have read about this game some time ago . I thought it was bad but here it's praised...is it good then ?
It is pretty damn mediocre and an absolute time waste, in that the game does not respect your time at all, but the game has it's moments and some people are willing to overlook that for said moments.

Most criticism you heard during launch was spot on as well, especially those calling out it's lack of content.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Since the Hungering Deep released I've gone back to Sea of Thieves a couple of times to play that mission through, but didn't find any urge to play the main content loop again and I won't be surprised if I don't play again until Cursed Sails releases.

I'm still extremely concerned about Rare's priorities, and I can't help but feel they're starting to cement a cycle of people returning for a day or two every couple of months. The main loop has to be a priority and, frankly, I'd prefer to see half as many of these content expansions and instead to see them putting massive changes in for the trading company system and progression, the four quest types, the combat system, the kraken, the skull forts... you know... all the half baked features the game launched with. I'm excited to see the Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores... but I'd be much happier if they were doing something which made me excited to search for my next treasure chest.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I know some will sigh at some of these stats but that '1.5 million Xbox Live friends forged in the Sea of Thieves' hits home for me. If people don't know, there's an emote you can do in the game that triggers the 'add friend' command when you both do it (it's like a little salute thing?). I genuinely don't think I've added so many random friends that I've met in-game in one game since maybe the Halo 2 days? It's crazy. My friends list has ballooned with like minded, chill people from all over the world that I've sailed with and had in crews. It's made my console feel super social again. I love that about the game.

Oct 25, 2017

Depends what you want/expect from the game. If you're not in the right mood and it's a bad session it feels boring and pointless.

When it goes right, it's fucking amazing like very few games I've played.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the Hungering Deep released I've gone back to Sea of Thieves a couple of times to play that mission through, but didn't find any urge to play the main content loop again and I won't be surprised if I don't play again until Cursed Sails releases.

I'm still extremely concerned about Rare's priorities, and I can't help but feel they're starting to cement a cycle of people returning for a day or two every couple of months. The main loop has to be a priority and, frankly, I'd prefer to see half as many of these content expansions and instead to see them putting massive changes in for the trading company system and progression, the four quest types, the combat system, the kraken, the skull forts... you know... all the half baked features the game launched with. I'm excited to see the Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores... but I'd be much happier if they were doing something which made me excited to search for my next treasure chest.

I can see the concern. If players only return for a few days every month then why have the game at all? =/

I know some will sigh at some of these stats but that '1.5 million Xbox Live friends forged in the Sea of Thieves' hits home for me. If people don't know, there's an emote you can do in the game that triggers the 'add friend' command when you both do it (it's like a little salute thing?). I genuinely don't think I've added so many random friends that I've met in-game in one game since maybe the Halo 2 days? It's crazy. My friends list has ballooned with like minded, chill people from all over the world that I've sailed with and had in crews. It's made my console feel super social again. I love that about the game.

Personally I don't care about random friends I don't know. Cluttering my friendlist is not a thing I like. But I can understand why people enjoy adding like minded people.

Status
Not open for further replies.