Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
ea6969bf-8427-4373-858b-153356b30181.jpg

Update page is online: https://www.seaofthieves.com/de/game/cursed-sails

Release: July 31

Free update.

Ready your cannons as Cursed Sails arrives, the second free update for Sea of Thieves, debuting terrifying skeleton ships and more new content alongside a time-limited campaign.

Pirate dominion over the waters is being challenged by crews of skeletons, united by their warped desire for vengeance on the living. Each region will be called out, so prepare to fight to protect your favourite Outposts! Form Alliances to share the rewards of co-operation, or perhaps the new three-person Brigantine ship will help to even the odds?

Meanwhile, piece together the origins of these cursed vessels by investigating a certain rogue trader. This update includes both permanent new content and time-limited events, so jump in during the campaign to fully enjoy the spoils of war.

THE DEAD SET SAIL

b92c6767-3e3f-4aeb-972c-3ff59a8a3183.jpg

There's panic at the Outposts as banners are appearing throughout the three regions of the Sea of Thieves – banners that are calling you out! Every pirate worth their salt is being challenged to battle at sea, as the dead make war on the living in grim galleons that wield curses against the unwary. Want more ways to meet the foe? The new Brigantine vessel lets three-person crews join the fray, or you can now form Alliances to share voyages, gold and experience rewards across crews. To arms, pirates!

INVESTIGATE THE SKELETON SCOURGE

05d41e0c-fdd4-44c8-a54c-b34eca62043f.jpg

The arrival of skeleton ships has all but blockaded the Outposts, leaving the local traders in a tight spot. Something caused this new and personal threat to the pirate way of life, so why not ask your friendly, local Bilge Rat in the tavern if he's heard any rumours? In this time-limited campaign, investigate the tale of a missing merchant and uncover the origins of the undead armada to unlock unique rewards!

Cursed Sails adds new outfits and liveries to Sea of Thieves, in the forms of both permanent new content and time-limited campaign rewards. No pirate will let a challenge from the dead go unmet, so it's only fitting to try out some new skelly sartorial choices for the coming mayhem.

DRESS FOR BATTLE

dc68a60c-b398-4166-83ec-43293f5753d3.jpg

bb630207-b974-44f0-8fcc-24e587f5adea.jpg

53d4e78e-9278-44c5-93c8-70e4fcdbfd42.jpg

a1a3274f-8d07-48ab-81d5-b97326d8a186.jpg

Dress for Death: Get skeleton accessories like a belt, eyepatch and boots, alongside items like the shovel and drum, to complete your 'summer of smashing skellies' look.

Join the Hunt: The Hunter outfit and items are perfect for pirates who take their slaying seriously, a cutthroat set for those who both smash and create skeletons.

Skelly Up Your Ship: Like the bones 'n' boats aesthetic? Get skeleton sails, livery, a figurehead and even a flag to give your ship a frightful new visage.

Getting Hairy: Cursed Sails introduces more ways to customise your hair – perhaps hair envy is the cause of the skellies' rage? It's coiffures versus coffins on the seas!

Trio Trouble: The mid-sized Brigantine is built for three, allowing smaller crews to wield more firepower. Existing cosmetics can be applied to this handsome new vessel!

Go Ghost: Prefer your undead to be even less alive? Pirates with Legendary status can decorate their ships with ghost livery, including a bone-chilling figurehead and sails.

CAMPAIGN AND CONTENT

e45985a0-1a05-4b48-b428-0eb3d540e15b.jpg

Cursed Sails will introduce all the things above and more, with some items being campaign-based (time-limited) and some being content-based (persisting in the game).

Permanent content includes the new Brigantine ship for players and the threat of future skeleton ships as enemy encounters. Skeleton-themed items (such as the lantern and speaking trumpet), clothing accessories and instruments will remain for sale in shops for those who unlock them. The Hunter outfit and items will be available in shops for all players. Ghost ship decorations will remain available, for those with Legendary status. Finally, the new Alliance system will remain in place to let pirates form future fleets.

Time-limited campaign content includes a series of set battles against the skeleton armada, alongside an investigation into the cause of the attacks. It also includes the chance to unlock skeleton-themed ship decorations, a skeleton scar and special sails for the three regions.

440a6282-958e-4c34-ac3d-6cf6a106a711.png

---

Can't wait to play this - seems like an awesome campaign. Excited for how the AI skeleton ships will play out.

Last edited:

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I wish they would let non-legends buy athena quests if another person let you into the hideout.

Its frustrating to see new legend items meanwhile im only mid 30's in levels.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I wish they would let non-legends buy athena quests if another person let you into the hideout.

Can't a legend just put an Athena quest on your ship table and let you complete it?

Or do you mean buying Legend items? Can't you do that in their hideout?

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
That skeleton ship literally looks like a portable skeleton fortress, love it! Also I better be able to have Salty as a pet in the future pet update, that bird is fucking cool.

EDIT: Holy Shit! I just saw the skeleton mug, must have.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

I mean, that's the perk of being a legend. You're in your mid 30s and I'm still in the single digits besides souls quests...LOL.

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to get back to playing this. Haven't touched it in a few months and really starting to regret it as I always had fun with it

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I hope MS have huge plans for its future, I love it but it's needs more, don't kill this game MS.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Super excited for this new expansion - curious how they will do the time-based elements. Sounds like the event goes for 3 weeks, and each week has something in it...

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game, I still haven't got legend yet which makes me very sad with all this cool new stuff.

That stuff isn't for a limited time, is it?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Super excited for this new expansion - curious how they will do the time-based elements. Sounds like the event goes for 3 weeks, and each week has something in it...
I would presume that we would ask a Bilge Rat but yea, I'm excited for what this entails.

Love this game, I still haven't got legend yet which makes me very sad with all this cool new stuff.

That stuff isn't for a limited time, is it?

No. Not the legend stuff.

Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I hope MS have huge plans for its future, I love it but it's needs more, don't kill this game MS.

Rare is hiring a lot. Some job listings could be for the start of another project, but Joe (Neate) mentioned that they have four teams working on the project now so that is incredibly reassuring. They'll continue to support this game and if they can keep up updates like these, it's going to be an amazing ride imo.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for a skeleton parrot and they delivered. Fitting name as well. Does the parrot have dialogue?
From Reddit.

This is what he says:

Salty: Oi! Get off... I mean... squawk.

You: 1. Did you just speak?!

You: 2. What kind of parrot speaks the word 'squawk'?

You: 3. How did you become a skeleton?

Salty: 1. No.

Salty: 2. Er... Polly wanna cracker? Who's a pretty boy, then? Et cetera.

Salty: 3. I had it in me all along. Also, squawk.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Happy that they made a 3 player ship. What I want to know is can I steal a skeleton ship!

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
That figure head is fucking awesome. I'm going to need some people to play the campaign with on the 31st.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
So hyped for the brigantine. I frequently play with 3 players so it will be very exciting seeing how it plays.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
As someone who mostly plays in a 3-pirate crew, I'll also be appreciating the Brigantine, but best news is the fro!

6fnvWDz.jpg