• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This trailer was my most anticipated of MVP of this year's Comic-con, and I liked what I saw, for the most part. The only things that gave me pause were the strong similarities between the mystery girl and Laura from "Logan", similarities which others in this thread have already pointed out. It doesn't seem that original in the context of the trailer, but of course I'll wait to watch the show to see if they do something interesting with the conceit of "The Special" who holds that key to everyone's destruction/salvation. I was also getting some Orlando Bloom in the Hobbit vibes with the Data/B-4 makeup in the end stinger, but given that Data is probably the second most popular TNG character, I wasn't surpised to see him getting some screen time.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
My major gripes are...
Garbage music that reminds me too much of Abrams era and Discovery garbage. Perhaps its just trailer music.
Also the visual style does not look like Next Gen. Where is LCARS? Why is everything on the (bridge?) so dark? All the crappy orange floaty UI overlays... really this is still a thing? It's not 2010.
Also Patrick Stewart's acting does not seem like Picard at all.

That being said.... This will have much higher ratings than Discovery. So cash grab will be successful.
If you are wondering why Spiner is doing this after he said he wouldn't... well money is why.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to rewatch TNG it's been years and I don't remember much. So what timeline is Picard in? I've seen Romulus referenced. Is that in the JJ verse? Or is it just in the JJ movie that OG spock talks about it? It seems like it's the OG verse but I can't find any definitive answers

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
The production value looks good. Can't wait to see how this turns out. This was the only generation of Star Trek that interested me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My major gripes are...
Garbage music that reminds me too much of Abrams era and Discovery garbage. Perhaps its just trailer music.
Also the visual style does not look like Next Gen. Where is LCARS? Why is everything on the (bridge?) so dark? All the crappy orange floaty UI overlays... really this is still a thing? It's not 2010.

That being said.... This will have much higher ratings than Discovery. So cash grab will be successful.
If you are wondering why Spiner is doing this after he said he wouldn't... well money is why.

It's 20 years in the future and Picard's new ship is not an Enterprise. It might not even be an official Starfleet vessel. It kinda looks like he's got a small freelance ship and a skeleton crew, so it's no surprise it's not shiny and clean.

And yes, ALL trailer music is garbage.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm going to have to rewatch TNG it's been years and I don't remember much. So what timeline is Picard in? I've seen Romulus referenced. Is that in the JJ verse? Or is it just in the JJ movie that OG spock talks about it? It seems like it's the OG verse but I can't find any definitive answers
All the new TV shows are OG universe

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just hoping for a lot of world building. Obviously the Romulans have a part to play but it'd be great to see what's going on in Cardassia, Bajor, Vulcan, Feringinar, Kronos etc.

Hell, I'd be interested to know what's up with a race like the Xindi.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My major gripes are...

This is a very cynical look at this.

Frankly I'd be annoyed if a show set in 2399 and made in 2019 would still use the outdated now retro-futuristic crap from the 80s and 90s shows and movies (one book per PADD!). LCARS can go the way of the dinosaurs.

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fxBLT6B.gif

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I need a Janeway cameo, now that Mulgrew and Ryan are on good terms, it is time to make use of their great chemistry and I bet she and Stewart could have fun trying to out act each other.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think Data looks fine... Brent Spiner is 70 years old. So, they are either adding rubber prosthetics to make him look anti-aged or doing some CGI.

I'd rather have a make-up age reduced Data than nothing... I am excited to see if they are using B-4's body or Lore's deactivated body the B-4 head... or were they able to find pieces of his body in the ship debris.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
This is a very cynical look at this.

Frankly I'd be annoyed if a show set in 2399 and made in 2019 would still use the outdated now retro-futuristic crap from the 80s and 90s shows and movies (one book per PADD!). LCARS can go the way of the dinosaurs.

The visual style of TNG is far super to the derivative stuff from that trailer. Fine it doesn't have to be the same style, but derivative is boring. Would have been nice to see something interesting and new with a hint of the old. The original set designers of TNG were thinking about form and function.
Whoever designs these transparent displays needs to stop and think for a moment... "What if I could see through my computer screen or phone right now?"
It's total garbage and by the numbers. Nothing new here so I'd prefer old.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are making the observation that the girl appears to be human and is approximately the correct age to be Shinzon's daughter.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
My major gripes are...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the trailer music was used in the first trailer for Captain Marvel, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
My major gripes are...

+1

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I think Data looks fine... Brent Spiner is 70 years old. So, they are either adding rubber prosthetics to make him look anti-aged or doing some CGI.

I'd rather have a make-up age reduced Data than nothing... I am excited to see if they are using B-4's body or Lore's deactivated body the B-4 head... or were they able to find pieces of his body in the ship debris.
Brent Spiner is 70 years old?! Holy shit, I did not realise he was that old.

I can easily see them just having an older looking Data who explains that he altered his appearance to better fit in with his friends.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I'm excited that we are finally moving forward in the Trek verse.

So much THIS.

Also, forget LCARS and the TNG look and style. That shit was 30 fucking years ago. I want them to make a modern Trek. So glad they decided to do that and not cater to the whims of those pining for a TNG season 8.

So much of the TNG style was due to shit budget and has aged terribly anyway. For example, had they tried to mimic the AWFUL civilian clothing style of TNG-era I would have puked.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Yay Seven is there as well. I know people dont like them but I hope we get more Voyager crew cameos. Cant wait for this!

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
If you want TNG to continue in the same format, with the same lighting, the same computer interfaces, with the same monster/anomaly/ethical dilemma of the week structure and the same kind of atmosphere you can go watch The Orville. It's getting a third season and I promise it won't challenge you or tickle your brain whatsoever, just the way you want it. I'm sure all the actors on that show work for free and don't just show up for the money like the actors on ST: Picard.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who said pads only had one book?
A bit of an exaggeration but the USS Raven had its 9,000 field notes come out to be multiple boxes of PADDs, and that was just text. In hindsight its ridiculous that you'd need multiple PADDs when even with our meager 21st century technology we can fit hundreds of books onto a phone today.

dark_frontier_122.jpg

The visual style of TNG is far super to the derivative stuff from that trailer. Fine it doesn't have to be the same style, but derivative is boring. Would have been nice to see something interesting and new with a hint of the old. The original set designers of TNG were thinking about form and function.
Whoever designs these transparent displays needs to stop and think for a moment... "What if I could see through my computer screen or phone right now?"
It's total garbage and by the numbers. Nothing new here so I'd prefer old.
We've barely seen any of it yet. But honestly the series is in need of a major visual overhaul that makes sense in-universe (IE not done in a fucking prequel).

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Voyager and next gen this season i now wish for deep space 9 crew next season...

I screamed like crazy when i saw seven! There has to be! I seriously hope janeway is in this ar some point!

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
as a lifelong TNG fan that trailer nearly made me cry. looks awesome

There's a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas in August, they have people like Shatner and Mulgrew already listed but I wonder if Patrick Stewart will make a surprise announcement. I think at last years he showed up as a surprise to announce Picard

Finnroth

Oct 27, 2017
This trailer was really weird for me. I despise it and love it in equal amounts without really having any reason to detest it - might have been the random lines in between like "sometimes i think you forgot who you are" or something akin to that...

But honestly, apart from probably a bit too much ground action in the trailer, this looks promising. I also have to admit, that 7 was a nice addition :D

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Getting LOGAN vibes

Also, I'm sorry but old Trek feels so hokey these days. This new Trek understands the modern world better and portrays it in a Trek-like context.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
The holographic interfaces on the bridge are a reference to DS9's The Visitor right?

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me but is 7 of 9's implant huge in this compared to how it is in Voyager? Wish they would have made a bold choice to remove it and explain that she doesn't need it anymore due a breakthrough or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there's more than a sporting chance that we see Picard back on a Galaxy class starship at some point. The fan service is pretty strong already.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Voyager was the second best show after TNG so I love that its getting love here with Seven. Hopefully the Doctor at the very least shows up too.

Since this is leaning pretty borg heavy can we get Icheb back as well? Him,Seven and The Doctor would be perfect for me.