• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't this was that he forced players to pray.

edit: Yep

The Bremerton School District near Seattle told the Supreme Court last year that school officials had heard from players' parents who said their children felt compelled to join in the prayers.

Several of the court's liberal justices raised concerns about whether students might feel pressured to take part not because of any mandate from Kennedy but because it was important to their coach. Associate Justice Elena Kagan asked Kennedy's lawyer to assume the school district had raised that argument initially.
www.usatoday.com

Supreme Court appears sympathetic to high school football coach ousted after midfield prayers

The Supreme Court is being asked to decide if Joseph Kennedy's midfield prayers were government speech or if they deserve First Amendment protection.

Looks like the loco wing thinks it's not an official thing, like an official team meeting. I guess they don't understand the power of authority since kids actually complained.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Some asshole teacher is gonna start refusing to teach lgbt students, intentionally get fired and sue to get the SC to say lgbt kids have no right to be free from discrimination in public school if it is a religious belief

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Media as usual doing a terrible job reporting on this case. It wasn't just a quiet prayer. Coach basically made it a spectacle and given his position as coach, pressured the team into participating.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the loudest fucking LaVeyan Satanist coach holds a fucking blood ritual during a public school sportsball game alongside witch cheerleaders casting a spell on the crowd while their legal team cites this case to protect them.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hmm. I mean, if it's after a game or during downtime, I don't see the problem per say, but the peer pressure for the students to participate is definitely a tricky situation to handle from a legal perspective, no?

edit: reading Sotomayors dissent I can understand the problem. In my head I pictured him Tim Tebowing at the 50 yard line by himself.. that's clearly not the case.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I hope the loudest fucking LaVeyan Satanist coach holds a fucking blood ritual during a public school sportsball game alongside witch cheerleaders casting a spell on the crowd while their legal team cites this case to protect them.

Lol, yeah, that would be good, but it won't fly. This court will, 'yeah, that was different tho' something like that. Plus the people who do that will probably find themselves on the other side of a gun considering where we're talking about

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
On its face it doesn't sound bad, but if he was pressuring the students to join and showing favoritism towards the ones who did then that's obviously messed up.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also a teacher can now basically start every class with a prayer and mark those who don't participate more strictly

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
They are not though. The school district argued that very point to make the claim that it is not protected speech.
I'm not understanding your reply.

When I mean authority, I don't mean official authority. But the coach is in a position of authority here. You think players, who want to be in their coaches good graces, would not feel compelled to pray if they're not comfortable?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I thought it was the left that was gonna put in their political actor judges.

I really hope Dems stop trying to kiss some conservatives ass when they want to try and be "neutral" about what these fucks keep saying.

Like here we are and the GOP justices are doing so much damage and making things political. Biden should be lighting their ass on fire.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand a conservative football coach. They pretty much mandate a pray for play system, and they treat their players like meal tickets to get to the next level. Dabo Swinney is the worst about this.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Oh I'm sure a little Allahu Ackbar would suffice well enough.

On its face it doesn't sound bad, but if he was pressuring the students to join and showing favoritism towards the ones who did then that's obviously messed up.

Even if he wasn't actively pressuring him being their coach would be enough passive pressure to count. These are high school football kids, they'll do whatever their coach asks if it means they can play ball.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
The Church of Satan is about to have a field day.

But seriously, I wonder if they would have made this decision if the coach was Muslim...

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Yet another horrible decision, and its just going to keep getting worse. Signing off on administrators coercing students to participate in their faith is gastly but what else is new with this court.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see, if you don't join, then you don't get to play, get targeted by the others etc. etc. etc.
What a terrible decision. Take your prayers to your churches.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with this decision for sure. I think the concept of players feeling forced to play would show differently in a decision if the coach were to punish them in a measurable way for not participating. That'd be a clear first amendment violation.

In this case, you'll get the nebulous "player will pray just to not be ostracized" bit, which 100% will happen, but likely won't run afoul of the law. It's the main reason the decision sucks.

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
Shit decision but opens it up to massive litigation. Join the team, don't join the prayer, prove you are being treated different based on your religion or lack there of, sue the school for millions, win and he gets fired. win win.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree with this decision for sure. I think the concept of players feeling forced to play would show differently in a decision if the coach were to punish them in a measurable way for not participating. That'd be a clear first amendment violation.

In this case, you'll get the nebulous "player will pray just to not be ostracized" bit, which 100% will happen, but likely won't run afoul of the law. It's the main reason the decision sucks.
And SCOTUS has basically seen students as wards of the school with barely any rights historically.

Also, leading a prayer on the 50 yard line is not private lol.

Oct 25, 2017
this is the least mad ive been at an SC ruling. If it was proven he would give favoritism then definitely a problem, but otherwise this is pretty standard for religious coaches in sports.

I was certainly confused as fuck at the lords prayer recital before football games growing up, but its pretty whatever.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I thought it was the left that was gonna put in their political actor judges.

I really hope Dems stop trying to kiss some conservatives ass when they want to try and be "neutral" about what these fucks keep saying.

Like here we are and the GOP justices are doing so much damage and making things political. Biden should be lighting their ass on fire.

Biden couldn't light someone's ass if he had a jug of gasoline and a lit match. The most he can do is kind of mildly scold and shake his head. That kind of fire, if he ever had it, is long gone these days

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
www.usatoday.com

Supreme Court appears sympathetic to high school football coach ousted after midfield prayers

The Supreme Court is being asked to decide if Joseph Kennedy's midfield prayers were government speech or if they deserve First Amendment protection.

Looks like the loco wing thinks it's not an official thing, like an official team meeting. I guess they don't understand the power of authority since kids actually complained.
IIRC, even Kavanaugh brought this up as a problem during oral arguments. So it's more like the conservatives understand what's at play, they're just content to allow it.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is yet another 'death by a thousand cuts' ruling that doesn't do all that much *by itself* but which when added up to the others this court has made (and will make) directly targets a clear written constitutional protection. This *was* the approach previous conservative courts took to Roe vs Wade before this one decided to throw out that precedent.

These 'drip drip drip' approaches are a lot slower, for sure, but underline what this court is. I'm not sure that this court will set the precedent that separation of church and state was only meant to protect churches from the state, not prevent the state from adopting an official religion... but if we don't draw the line in the sand and say this court is too extreme and too conservative, I don't doubt a future more extreme, more conservative court would do just that.

luminosity

"This guy are sick"
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe the justices are strict constructionists, and if prayer occurs on the 51-yard line in another case they will reverse this decision.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Typical pro-christian bullshit from this court.

There god tells them to turn the other cheek though, literally.

They are hypocritical snowflakes start calling them for what they are instead of labels they use to deflect or direct conversations to let them be victims.

Here's a part of another passage or two

"Show respect to people who don't even deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."

"Instead, love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them, expecting nothing in return. "

Do the people acting the way republicans do sound like chritians? God views any mental abuse the same as physical hence the commandment on harming a neighbor which most people qualify believers or not. God or the rules aren't the problem it's the hypocrites who claim to love life while literally profitting from the misery and death they create be it money or power.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever we used to think was the United States continues to be destroyed brick by brick. At this rate there won't be much left soon

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Wasn't this was that he forced players to pray.

edit: Yep

www.usatoday.com

gonna go ahead and guess that the super nerds on the court never played team sports.

dont show up for "optional" practice and get cut. This is something the coach could easily use as justification to no play a player or cut them.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC, even Kavanaugh brought this up as a problem during oral arguments. So it's more like the conservatives understand what's at play, they're just content to allow it.
Kavanaugh is becoming one of my least favorites of the new batch. His arguments are so trollish. It's like Eric Cartman became a SCOTUS judge.

"It's not audible to all players," said Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh. "They're not all there. They don't have to be there. It's not a team event. ... You're relying on it being visible, and then the question is, how far does that go? The coach does the sign of the cross right before the game. Could a school fire the coach for the sign of the cross?"

Such a display would be "perfectly fine," said Richard Katskee of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which is representing the school district – so long as the coach wasn't addressing the team or making himself the center of attention.

"I don't know how we could write an opinion that would draw a line based on not making yourself the center of attention as the head coach of a game," Kavanaugh said.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
this is the least mad ive been at an SC ruling. If it was proven he would give favoritism then definitely a problem, but otherwise this is pretty standard for religious coaches in sports.

I was certainly confused as fuck at the lords prayer recital before football games growing up, but its pretty whatever.
Well the issue is the tie to a public school. There is nothing stopping some random town coach from doing this.